Sharp XV-Z30000 3D DLP - Page 69 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 46Likes

post #2041 of 2067 Old 10-13-2015, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1602 Post(s)
Liked: 1399
sorry to hear, that was my main concern years ago when we bought these on the sale price - where are they going to get parts from. Even current models shipped to Mendtronix sometimes have to wait a while for parts to ship from Japan, etc.

it might be time for plan B sooner than expected. If I recall, you need motorized zoom?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2042 of 2067 Old 10-13-2015, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
sorry to hear, that was my main concern years ago when we bought these on the sale price - where are they going to get parts from. Even current models shipped to Mendtronix sometimes have to wait a while for parts to ship from Japan, etc.

it might be time for plan B sooner than expected. If I recall, you need motorized zoom?
Yes. Powered lens controls are a must have. I can't get out the 12 foot ladder every time...
Any suggestions? I value your opinion.
I am now officially way out of my experience zone.
I am sure this is not desired CS from Sharp. Any ideas on what "other options" might be available? Maybe I can suggest something?
For instance, new Z30Ks are available on ebay for $4K...
Thanks

Last edited by humbland; 10-13-2015 at 05:16 PM.
post #2043 of 2067 Old 10-14-2015, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

regarding Sharp CS, there may not be much you can do until after January. If the parts don't arrive then they aren't able to fulfill the warranty agreement and may have to take action after that time.

For plan B, there aren't too many options besides the JVC projectors w/ fully motorized lens. With the new models that are going to be released soon, you will see many flipping their less than 2 year old RS4910's

Here is the RS55 for only 2K or best offer, you will definitely see some more of these great bargains coming up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-DLA-RS55...-/131627357267

I have the older JVC RS46 (used to have an RS55 as well). There is JVC contrast and then everything else. Dark scenes are very convincing on these projectors.
post #2044 of 2067 Old 10-14-2015, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
regarding Sharp CS, there may not be much you can do until after January. If the parts don't arrive then they aren't able to fulfill the warranty agreement and may have to take action after that time.

For plan B, there aren't too many options besides the JVC projectors w/ fully motorized lens. With the new models that are going to be released soon, you will see many flipping their less than 2 year old RS4910's

Here is the RS55 for only 2K or best offer, you will definitely see some more of these great bargains coming up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-DLA-RS55...-/131627357267

I have the older JVC RS46 (used to have an RS55 as well). There is JVC contrast and then everything else. Dark scenes are very convincing on these projectors.
Thanks for the input.
I heard from Sharp CS this AM. They are working on an alternative. I'll post back when I know more.
The tip on the upcoming JVC change outs is a good one. Mike had a "B" stock JVC, but I did not want to pull the trigger until the last Sharp card is played (PJ humor).
I don't follow the JVC progression that much... As I recall, everything after the RS46 (lamp upgrade) has essentially the same 2D picture. Is that the case, or is the RS49 the one to get to bridge the 4K gap?
It's been years since we have been without a PJ. We are going through withdrawl.
I'm still hoping for Sharp resolution (more PJ humor).

Last edited by humbland; 10-14-2015 at 11:25 AM.
post #2045 of 2067 Old 10-16-2015, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

A positive development.
The refurb Z30K showed up. I won't have the man power (or ladder power) to mount it for a few days. Will keep you posted.
BTW, the out of stock part to repair my Z30K was a fan. From what I gather, the Z30K has multiple fans. One of them failed, leading to the lamp shut down issue. Note: the "Temp" LED or the "Lamp" LED never came on. Just the "Power" LED (blinking red). I could hear a fan running and it never occurred to me that it might be related to that...Hopefully no one else has this problem, but now you know.
In dealing with Sharp, persistence (and luck) were the key. I finally landed on the desk of a CS rep who acted as an advocate for my case. When she got involved, things started happening. I asked about posting her name, but it wasn't clear that she thought that was a good idea. If any of you need help with Sharp, feel free to PM me and I'll pass along contact info. Also, I think that they are a large corporate bureaucracy. When you talk to several different people, it's difficult to get traction.
All's well that ends well (I hope).
rgrele, atanuray, Seegs108 and 2 others like this.
post #2046 of 2067 Old 10-16-2015, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

wow that is great news that they sent you a refurb.

That makes sense it was a bad fan tripping a thermal sensor. I like to tinker so I would have gutted that projector like a fish looking for something simple like a bad fan before sending it in.

anyway, very good to hear you to get to keep enjoying x-talk free 3D..
post #2047 of 2067 Old 10-17-2015, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
wow that is great news that they sent you a refurb.

That makes sense it was a bad fan tripping a thermal sensor. I like to tinker so I would have gutted that projector like a fish looking for something simple like a bad fan before sending it in.

anyway, very good to hear you to get to keep enjoying x-talk free 3D..
Seeing your posts over the years, I have no doubt that you would have discovered the bad fan
However, without a temp warning of some sort, it would have taken some detective work.
The real challenge to your tech wizardry would be to locate a replacement for it. The Sharp rep indicated that they had to make it. To me, that means that there were probably none available. The Z30K has that "alien spaceship/discman" design. It could be that only the OEM part will fit...
In any case, the large shipping box is sitting here. I'm anxious to get it boosted into low earth orbit for a "test run". However, with what we went through to get it, I'll wait for help. Dropping it...
post #2048 of 2067 Old 10-21-2015, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

We spent yesterday morning doing the ladder dance hooking up the refurb Z30K. It's up and running (and that's a huge +)
So far, so good. I'm glad to get the theater back. Not having it for a month made me realize how lucky we are.
Linda at Sharp service really stepped up and went to bat for us. A toast is in order. "Thank you Linda!"!

One issue is getting the settings right. Somehow it looks "softer" than I recall. This one was reset to factory default settings. It took me a while to get my last one dialed in, but I have not fooled around with it in years. I recall there were tweaks to the red and blue values and also detail enhancement/Darbee trade offs. 69 pages in this thread...Can anyone suggest their settings as a starting point?

Thanks in advance.
post #2049 of 2067 Old 10-24-2015, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Sharp people. I've been playing with the refurb Z30K. I am still trying to figure out the best settings.
Ironically, I can not seem to get the sharpness dialed in as well as I had with my old one. The focus seems "soft". I recall when I first got the Z30K, I was a little bit disappointed in it's native sharpness. We were coming from a high end Benq that was tack sharp. When I added the Darbee, things improved quite a bit. I realize (now), that I should have written down the advanced settings (at the time, I expected to get it back)...
My question is: Are there any adjustments to improve the focus or sharpness (other than focus and Darbee), that make a significant difference?
Thanks

Last edited by humbland; 10-25-2015 at 07:27 PM.
post #2050 of 2067 Old 10-27-2015, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm guessing that everyone is playing around in the 4K sandbox...
After a few days of experimentation, I feel as if I have made some progress. I turned down the brightness and went to eco-quiet mode on the HP 2.8. It seems as if this has reduced image "ringing". My thought is that the original Z30K had more hours on the bulb and this contributed to the different settings. Also, in mounting and unmounting the two PJs from the long drop tube, I think I've knocked things out of alignment somehow. it's possible that keystoning is contributing to the focus issues. When I get some time, I'll get out the ladder and tweak the "orbit".
In any case, it's good to have the HT back.
I was thinking of watching some 3D. Back to the glasses issues. Did anyone ever figure out how to replace/recharge the dead batteries?
post #2051 of 2067 Old 10-28-2015, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 31
sharp

Does have any body the sharp for sale for me?

Best regards
post #2052 of 2067 Old 10-28-2015, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2910 View Post
Does have any body the sharp for sale for me?

Best regards
The last time I checked, there were still some out there. Try Google.
Also, you might want to post a WTB add in the "FP For Sale" Forum. People seem to be upgrading to the new 4K machines, perhaps someone will part with a Z30K.
When you find one, please post back here. We can use some new blood and a thread kick start...
post #2053 of 2067 Old 10-28-2015, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
hmmm, I could probably be talked into parting with mine. Been wanting to try 4k. What are these going for now days?
post #2054 of 2067 Old 10-28-2015, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
I'm guessing that everyone is playing around in the 4K sandbox...
After a few days of experimentation, I feel as if I have made some progress. I turned down the brightness and went to eco-quiet mode on the HP 2.8. It seems as if this has reduced image "ringing". My thought is that the original Z30K had more hours on the bulb and this contributed to the different settings. Also, in mounting and unmounting the two PJs from the long drop tube, I think I've knocked things out of alignment somehow. it's possible that keystoning is contributing to the focus issues. When I get some time, I'll get out the ladder and tweak the "orbit".
In any case, it's good to have the HT back.
I was thinking of watching some 3D. Back to the glasses issues. Did anyone ever figure out how to replace/recharge the dead batteries?
sorry for delay I will check my 30K over the weekend to post some of the settings I am using.

Did you QA the projector before you mounted it? meaning checking focus with the projector square to the wall?
post #2055 of 2067 Old 10-28-2015, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by humbland 

Is that DE 10 or DE -10?

INMO, the Darbee has added a "flexibility" component to the Z30K.
That is, when we first got it, I was lamenting that it was not nearly as sharp as our old Benq.
The picture was good, but "soft" relative to the DLP image I was accustomed to. Also, the visible grain in Bluray transfers was a downer.
Zombie's settings helped, but the real 2D "pop' returned with the addition of the Darbee and adjusting the brightness and DE to suit the Darbee setting.
The combination seems to work together with a synergistic effect that results in an amazing image.
In fact, It's difficult to see how much "better" an image could be. I'm still following the upcoming Sony developments, but it will have to be truly amazing to get me off the Sharp bandwagon. I'm sure that a 4K image would be a step up, but without 4K content, it seems that it's really a case of diminishing returns.
My $.02.

I believe it was DE 10 but I'll double check when I get home tonight.
Quote:
sorry for delay I will check my 30K over the weekend to post some of the settings I am using.

Did you QA the projector before you mounted it? meaning checking focus with the projector square to the wall?
Hi Zombie,
Thanks for checking in. I did not "QA" the Z30K.
It was not like I could return it, for another one, if the focus was off. I feel incredibly lucky to have this one. It was the only refurb available in the Sharp warehouse. It was either this one or wait until Feb and get my original one fixed. Also, with a single chip DLP, I did not think there was much chance that it would be "soft".
Having said that, we were very careful when we set up the original mount. We used several devices to square it up, including a laser. It's possible that the mount somehow got tweaked, but not by much. I'm not sure of the best way to square it at this point... My thought would be to set the HV control to the center of the field in the test pattern (this has the image just off the screen edge). Then get up the ladder and nudge the mount right/left up/down to visually center the test pattern on the screen. Would this work?
If you can please post all of your settings, I'm sure that all of us would appreciate it. Currently, I'm using eco-quiet for the HP and "Standard" for most shows. For the 1.1 screen, I'm on eco-quiet and "Stage". I have Blue and Red turned down on both settings and that's about it. I think I had "Sharpness" and some of the advanced settings adjusted on the last one. I just can not recall.
Thanks.
post #2056 of 2067 Old 11-02-2015, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I spent some time this weekend working on the refurb Z30K. I carefully aligned the PJ/screen and tried several different setting and Darbee combinations.
Good news and bad news...
Good news: I improved things a bit. The mount had shifted slightly. After alignment and an hour of OCD manifestation, the focus was marginally better.
Bad news: I can not get the focus as "Sharp" as my previous Z30K. With my old one, I could get right next to the screen and resolve the focus test pattern lines in sharp detail. At 3 feet away, they are just a little blurry.
I'm a little bit surprised by this. I thought that single chip DLPs would be pretty much the same. Perhaps different samples are just different..
In any case, my vision is not perfect. At 14 feet, it's not very noticeable. I'm grateful to be back in the game (put me in coach).

BTW, I'm still waiting for settings and/or suggestions...
post #2057 of 2067 Old 11-11-2015, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Jason,
Still waiting for your current Z30K settings. I've done the best I can to square up the PJ/screen and tweak the keystone settings. I'm curious as to what your mini3D came up with for color and your global brightness/sharpness settings.
Thanks.
post #2058 of 2067 Old 12-02-2015, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Classified today.
Brand new Z30K for $3K.
FS: New Sharp XV-Z30000 3D DLP Projector
post #2059 of 2067 Old 12-29-2015, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

A question for the Z30K people:
What has been your experience with the lens memory feature? Is there any way to "fine tune" it?
Ours works to get it it in the ball park, but I frequently have to make adjustments to fit. Is this par for the course?
Happy New Year.
post #2060 of 2067 Old 12-29-2015, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 218
I see someone has a Z30 posted in the Classified as new for $2200, for anyone looking for one.

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 110"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #2061 of 2067 Old 12-29-2015, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

humbland - I don't use the zoom feature but that can also be a problem on other projectors with the lens memory - where it's not quite that accurate and may need adjustments between changes.

I still use my 30K for TV (love the fast boot up time) and also 3D as well even though I have been checking it out on the new JVC RS600 as well.

I also just charged all 8 pair of my G20's and the 6 pairs of the G30's just to make sure the batteries stay topped off. I still can't get over how comfortable the G20's are, these are so much better than the Xpand 105's that are the OEM glasses for the JVC.

airscapes - come on, pick it up! Don't you want great 3D to compliment the DC4 Planar?
post #2062 of 2067 Old 12-29-2015, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
airscapes - come on, pick it up! Don't you want great 3D to compliment the DC4 Planar?
If they made glasses that fit over glasses and were comfortable as not having them on at all sure.. but that ain't gona happen till there are no glasses required

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 110"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #2063 of 2067 Old 12-29-2015, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

what a coincidence - the 30K happens to use the best, most comfortable 3D glasses on planet earth. I wear prescription glasses and love these glasses vs. everything else I've had here. I think I lost count after 50 different pairs of 3D glasses.

they even have a '2D' setting on them for guests who don't like 3D but don't want to spoil it for everyone else. I've actually had that happen. They just sit there and watch it in 2D.
post #2064 of 2067 Old 12-29-2015, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
I see someone has a Z30 posted in the Classified as new for $2200, for anyone looking for one.
I think that's just about the best price since the Woot deal.
If someone buys it, then post back and let us know if we can help you get going.

Jason, glad to know you are still using your Z30K. With all of your choices, it is a real vote of confidence.

On the refurb, I tried fooling around with various settings (thanks William). I ended up going back to Art's Z30K review settings for "Stage" on the Cinewhite 2.35 screen. They seem in the ballpark.
However, I find that "Stage" is too bright for our HP 2.8. 16x9 screen. So we are using "Sports" with all stock (factory) settings for it. Does anyone have a calibrated unit or User settings to share?

The lens memory is unpredictable. Sometimes it's dead on. Other times, it needs right/left/up/down adjustments. Not a big deal, but interesting.

Watched Jurrasic World in 3D a few nights ago. Wow!
Is it better to keep the rechargeable glasses "topped off"? I just charge them before we use them...
post #2065 of 2067 Old 01-23-2016, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I know I am a little late, but I am glad to see Sharp stepped up for you. I would have one more suggestion on sharpness- I have a Z17K as you know and had the same trouble when I first got it. Believe it or not, it had some shipping gunk on the lens. I was able to clean it with a plastic cleaner used for turntable covers made of acrylic and it got noticeably better. Funny thing was that I was never able to see the gunk but saw a fingerprint on the lens and then noticed while trying to get it off that there was some sort of "greasy" residue on the lens. On the Z17K, my thought was it came from the grease on the door that covers the lens when not in use. I even tink someone in this thread found the same on the window in front of the lens on their Z30K IIRC.

As a caution to others, DO NOT use glass cleaner of any type on a projector lens (even one made for camera lenses) unless you are perfectly sure the lens is all glass and DO NOT use an abrasive cleaner for plastic or any kind of abrasive cloth like paper towels. I used a very gentle cleaner made for turntable covers, not an abrasive and still scared myself. You have been warned as I (unfortunately) know this from experience many moons ago. <end public service announcement>

Living the HT Dream in 4D.
You know you have a problem when you buy a spare projector- not a lamp, but a whole projector...
post #2066 of 2067 Old 01-24-2016, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post
I know I am a little late, but I am glad to see Sharp stepped up for you. I would have one more suggestion on sharpness- I have a Z17K as you know and had the same trouble when I first got it. Believe it or not, it had some shipping gunk on the lens. I was able to clean it with a plastic cleaner used for turntable covers made of acrylic and it got noticeably better. Funny thing was that I was never able to see the gunk but saw a fingerprint on the lens and then noticed while trying to get it off that there was some sort of "greasy" residue on the lens. On the Z17K, my thought was it came from the grease on the door that covers the lens when not in use. I even tink someone in this thread found the same on the window in front of the lens on their Z30K IIRC.

As a caution to others, DO NOT use glass cleaner of any type on a projector lens (even one made for camera lenses) unless you are perfectly sure the lens is all glass and DO NOT use an abrasive cleaner for plastic or any kind of abrasive cloth like paper towels. I used a very gentle cleaner made for turntable covers, not an abrasive and still scared myself. You have been warned as I (unfortunately) know this from experience many moons ago. <end public service announcement>
Thanks larrimore,
That never ocurred to me. I recall looking at the lens when we first got it and it seemed clean...It makes sence that the smallest amount of residue on the lens surface might cause blurriness.
In the past, I have always used canned air to blow off dust, but I have never attempted "cleaning" PJ lenses.
My original Z30K had the sliding lens cover in place. However, when Sharp sent out the refurb, I noticed that it seemed identical, except the sliding lens cover was missing. I actually contacted CS and asked about it and they said that it was totally unnecessary. The Z30K operates fine "with or without it "(U2 humor).
Our Z30K is way up there on a low earth orbit ceiling mount. At the time, I could see no benifit to having the lens cover on. So, I did not make a big deal about not having it. However, it could be that it's absence allowed the lens to get dirty somehow...I will get out the ladder and take a close look at it.

I just checked out the owner's manual:

"Use a commercially available blower or lens
cleaning paper (for glasses and camera
lenses) for cleaning the lens or lens cover. Do
not use any liquid type cleaning agents, as
they may wear off the coating film on the
surface of the lens or lens cover"

That scares me a little bit. Is there anyone else out there who can suggest a way (or a product) to effectively clean the lens?

post #2067 of 2067 Old 01-24-2016, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post

...I just checked out the owner's manual:

"Use a commercially available blower or lens
cleaning paper (for glasses and camera
lenses) for cleaning the lens or lens cover. Do
not use any liquid type cleaning agents, as
they may wear off the coating film on the
surface of the lens or lens cover"

That scares me a little bit. Is there anyone else out there who can suggest a way (or a product) to effectively clean the lens?

[/I]
They do make cleaners for glass camera lenses- maybe you should look at that if you can be sure the lens is glass- they are also coated. That being said, I used a camera lens solution on a business projector years ago (it was plastic, I'm sure) and all I can say is that I am glad there was no critical watching ever required on that unit after that.

I would probably start with distilled water and lens cloths to see if it makes any difference.

Living the HT Dream in 4D.
You know you have a problem when you buy a spare projector- not a lamp, but a whole projector...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc5 , Sharp An3dg20b 3d Glasses Black Single , Sharp He Xvz17000 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv , Sharp Xv Z30000 Dlp
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page