Sharp XV-Z30000 3D DLP - Page 70 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 47Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2071 of 2096 Old 06-21-2016, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
humbland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post
just a quick note to ask if there are any glasses compatible with this machine that use a replaceable battery? I have now bought 8 pairs of the G30 glasses and 5 pairs are not chargeable as the battery has sat in the warehouse and degraded. Luckily these were new purchases and were returned, but this scares me about the future of glasses for this PJ (and others) now that most new PJ's use RF or DLP link.

Zombie or others- have you used any other glasses that can work and have the standard watch batteries or a common replaceable rechargeable battery?
First of all, I'm glad to see a post in this thread. We are still enjoying our Z30K. We just redid our HT wiring and added a 4k compatible HDMI run. Hoping that the new 4k DLP chip gets implemented in a FP (at a reasonable cost). In the mean time, how many others out there are still Sharp?

If I recall, there was an earlier post about trying to find a replacement battery for the glasses...
Any progress on that front?
humbland is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2072 of 2096 Old 06-23-2016, 05:31 PM
fpr
Member
 
fpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Spain
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post
just a quick note to ask if there are any glasses compatible with this machine that use a replaceable battery? I have now bought 8 pairs of the G30 glasses and 5 pairs are not chargeable as the battery has sat in the warehouse and degraded. Luckily these were new purchases and were returned, but this scares me about the future of glasses for this PJ (and others) now that most new PJ's use RF or DLP link.

Zombie or others- have you used any other glasses that can work and have the standard watch batteries or a common replaceable rechargeable battery?
Hi,

The glasses Sharp AN-3DG35 has 1 CR2 battery not rechargable and I think they are compatible with the Z30k (as G20 and G30).

Anyone have tested this glasses with the Sharp Z30K?

Best regards.

Last edited by fpr; 06-24-2016 at 01:53 AM.
fpr is online now  
post #2073 of 2096 Old 07-17-2016, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 22,326
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked: 1335
I've had the Z30k for a couple years now. I have about 1,500 hours on it, according to the counter. Still bright enough for my needs (mostly TV watching). However, the other day I developed a weird problem from out of the blue.

I was watching TV and didn't notice anything unusual during the first show. Then, during the second show, I noticed a couple of strange spots in the lower left corner of the screen, visible during dark scenes. At first, I assumed it might be something in the source signal, but no, it's the projector. The spots are now visible anytime the screen is dark, no matter what source I watch. Here's a photo of it during the splash screen on my Blu-ray player. (I've boosted the brightness so the problem is visible here.)



Content is still visible through the spots. It looks like some kind of glare.

When the screen is bright, I see a single dark spot:





Thinking this might be an obstruction in the light path, like dust or something, I checked the lens and blasted it with compressed air. No change. I also pulled out the lamp and took a look inside. Didn't see anything in there, and I didn't want to disassemble the projector beyond that.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any thoughts or suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	light spots.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	466.6 KB
ID:	1550681   Click image for larger version

Name:	dark spot.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	1550689   Click image for larger version

Name:	dark spot 2.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	1550713  

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.


Last edited by Josh Z; 07-18-2016 at 07:12 AM.
Josh Z is offline  
post #2074 of 2096 Old 07-17-2016, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
airscapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,500
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Dust on the DMD, prism or possible back side of the lens.
The reason you see it in the dark is because the mirrors are off (sending the light to the dark side of the chamber) but the dust is being lit by the light. For you to see this it must be on the DMD or the prism in front of the DMD. Nothing between the lamp and the prism would show up as a light spot in the dark.

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 110"
http://www.airscapesart.com

 
airscapes is offline  
post #2075 of 2096 Old 07-18-2016, 07:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 22,326
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked: 1335
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
Dust on the DMD, prism or possible back side of the lens.
The reason you see it in the dark is because the mirrors are off (sending the light to the dark side of the chamber) but the dust is being lit by the light. For you to see this it must be on the DMD or the prism in front of the DMD. Nothing between the lamp and the prism would show up as a light spot in the dark.
Thanks. Any idea how to get to that through this projector?

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
post #2076 of 2096 Old 07-18-2016, 12:36 PM
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 9,255
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3771 Post(s)
Liked: 1770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Thanks. Any idea how to get to that through this projector?
You could try and blow some compressed air in from around the lens. Other that that, you'd have to take it apart to get it off which ever surface it's on.
Seegs108 is offline  
post #2077 of 2096 Old 07-18-2016, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,357
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked: 2336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Thanks. Any idea how to get to that through this projector?
I have a copy of the service manual if you want it. It shows exactly how to get into the unit. Once the lid is off, you should have relatively straight forward access to some of the the areas where the dust can go.

send me your email address and I'll send you a copy.
fpr likes this.
zombie10k is offline  
post #2078 of 2096 Old 07-18-2016, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
humbland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I have a copy of the service manual if you want it. It shows exactly how to get into the unit. Once the lid is off, you should have relatively straight forward access to some of the the areas where the dust can go.

send me your email address and I'll send you a copy.
Jason,
Do you still use your Z30K?
I thought the new JVC had pretty much taken center stage...
humbland is offline  
post #2079 of 2096 Old 07-19-2016, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 22,326
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked: 1335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
You could try and blow some compressed air in from around the lens. Other that that, you'd have to take it apart to get it off which ever surface it's on.
I took a look last night and the front of the projector around the lens seems pretty sealed up. Nowhere to shoot air inside. (Yes, I removed the glass panel in front of the lens.)

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
post #2080 of 2096 Old 08-11-2016, 07:14 AM
Senior Member
 
analogBalrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Manchester, NH
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This projector has been truly wonderful. Sadly, as of this weekend, I got my first "stuck mirror" and it stuck white. What an absolute bummer. I've had the PJ for over 3 years now, bought it on the Woot deal way back when, so I'm SOL on warranty. I'm assume there is nothing I can do about this issue outside of replacing the DLP chip, which honestly, sounds like a headache, unless someone has some experience with it on this model and can point me in the right direction.

Any advice out there on what I should do? I realize it's just a single dot on a big screen, but it is rather distracting.
analogBalrog is offline  
post #2081 of 2096 Old 09-25-2016, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Highjinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogBalrog View Post
This projector has been truly wonderful. Sadly, as of this weekend, I got my first "stuck mirror" and it stuck white. What an absolute bummer. I've had the PJ for over 3 years now, bought it on the Woot deal way back when, so I'm SOL on warranty. I'm assume there is nothing I can do about this issue outside of replacing the DLP chip, which honestly, sounds like a headache, unless someone has some experience with it on this model and can point me in the right direction.

Any advice out there on what I should do? I realize it's just a single dot on a big screen, but it is rather distracting.
Try PMing zombie10k he has a wealth of knowledge on this projector....perhaps seegs108 too.

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
Highjinx is online now  
post #2082 of 2096 Old 09-25-2016, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Highjinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Watched The Jungle Book 3D on the Sharp last night on my 106" diagonal HP. Both irises on, high lamp...oh my! what a glorious bright punchy 3D image.

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
Highjinx is online now  
post #2083 of 2096 Old 09-26-2016, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
humbland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Thought I would try bumping this thread.
We are still enjoying our Z30K.
Is there anyone else out there still on the DLP bandwagon?
humbland is offline  
post #2084 of 2096 Old 09-26-2016, 06:10 AM
Member
 
shaggy244's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
Thought I would try bumping this thread.
We are still enjoying our Z30K.
Is there anyone else out there still on the DLP bandwagon?
I've been using my Infocus SP8602 for 6 years. Absolutely my favorite projector. Unfortunately a bulb exploded recently, ruining some of the optics. I searched for a DLP to replace it (even bought a W7500, but returned it) I couldn't wait for, nor could I probably afford, the new 2K DLP projectors, so I went with the JVC X550r. Very happy so far. I wish TI hadn't waited so long to make improvements to their DMDs.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
shaggy244 is offline  
post #2085 of 2096 Old 09-26-2016, 06:39 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
biliam1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 1,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I still have mine but really haven't used it in months. I had just replaced the bulb. I've been happy using my JVC RS500. Mainly due to it's high lumen output as it's in a living room in sunny Florida. I can't complain about getting the better black level either...

But, the Sharp 30K is a fantastic projector. Only issues I have with it are its lumens (though ~900 calibrated isn't really bad to some/most, I just need more) and black level. I still think it meets or bests other projectors above its class. The motion resolution, ANSI (DLP pop), low lag time, motorized lens and H/V shift, Dual Iris system, etc. I'm hesitant to sell it but I should to let someone else enjoy it.
biliam1982 is offline  
post #2086 of 2096 Old 09-26-2016, 06:48 AM
Senior Member
 
analogBalrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Manchester, NH
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highjinx View Post
Try PMing zombie10k he has a wealth of knowledge on this projector....perhaps seegs108 too.
Well, I decided to pick up another PJ (5030ub). If anybody wants a XV-Z30000 with the issue described above, make me an offer; it comes with an extra bulb, and otherwise is in perfect condition.
analogBalrog is offline  
post #2087 of 2096 Old 09-26-2016, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Elix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dungeon, Pillar of Eyes
Posts: 1,526
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 94
As a previous Sharp XV-Z30000 owner, I can't agree with some statements
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post
The motion resolution
Not really that high or different than LCD counterparts (around 400 lines in 1080p60 test video). Pixel response is much better though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post
low lag time
Around 60-70 ms, iirc. I'd consider this high.

The one other thing besides input lag that forced me to sell this projector is color. It just can't calibrate to rec.709. It's green hue is too far off making greens yellow-ish and it's red luminance is too low, making reds look dull.

Otherwise, one of the best 0.67" 3D DLP projectors out there definitely.
Elix is offline  
post #2088 of 2096 Old 09-26-2016, 07:32 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
biliam1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 1,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post
As a previous Sharp XV-Z30000 owner, I can't agree with some statementsNot really that high or different than LCD counterparts (around 400 lines in 1080p60 test video). Pixel response is much better though.
Maybe that's what I'm thinking. I still see it sometimes on really fast moving scenes on my JVC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post
Around 60-70 ms, iirc. I'd consider this high.
I should have been more clear and say I was comparing it to my JVC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post
The one other thing besides input lag that forced me to sell this projector is color. It just can't calibrate to rec.709. It's green hue is too far off making greens yellow-ish and it's red luminance is too low, making reds look dull.
I never had mine ISF calibrated so I can't speak to that. I just used Zombie's recommended settings and tweaked it a bit because it was being projected onto a earth tone beige wall. Looked fantastic to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post
Otherwise, one of the best 0.67" 3D DLP projectors out there definitely.
I totally forgot to mention the 3D! Definitely the best out there I've ever seen.
biliam1982 is offline  
post #2089 of 2096 Old 09-26-2016, 08:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,357
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked: 2336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highjinx View Post
Watched The Jungle Book 3D on the Sharp last night on my 106" diagonal HP. Both irises on, high lamp...oh my! what a glorious bright punchy 3D image.
I watched it on the 30K last night, it does look excellent on the 142" HP. I mainly use the RS600 for 2D and 3D but there's definitely something special about the 3D DLP image, very solid and flawless with the x-talk control.
zombie10k is offline  
post #2090 of 2096 Old 09-28-2016, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
humbland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I watched it on the 30K last night, it does look excellent on the 142" HP. I mainly use the RS600 for 2D and 3D but there's definitely something special about the 3D DLP image, very solid and flawless with the x-talk control.
Z30K + HP 2.8 =

Can someone link to The Jungle Book 3D?
humbland is offline  
post #2091 of 2096 Old 09-28-2016, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,357
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked: 2336
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
Z30K + HP 2.8 =

Can someone link to The Jungle Book 3D?
Hi, you can pick it up from the link below. Definitely worth seeing this on the 30K in 3D. I haven't used the 30K in a while and spent about 3 hours watching 3D last night with the G20 glasses. Still looks excellent and definitely keeping the Sharp. I only have 640 original hours and have 5 spare lamps + G20's are my still my favorite, most comfortable 3D glasses out there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Jungle-B...-/162121223152
zombie10k is offline  
post #2092 of 2096 Old 09-28-2016, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rwestley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,872
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 95
You can also pick up Jungle Book for much less money if you just go to Amazon UK site. It would be much less even with shipping. I would suggest that you order a few other 3D releases you can't get in the US from them to save even more on shipping. Star Wars the Force Awakens becomes available at the end of Oct 15 days before the US release and at about the same price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jungle-Blu-...bs_535556031_3
rwestley is offline  
post #2093 of 2096 Old 09-28-2016, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
humbland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Thanks muchly guys.
I tried to get it at 3D Bluray Rental.com, but for some reason, it's not available. It's a sign of the times. They used to carry all the latest releases. It seems like the AV world has moved on to 4K OLED...
My guess is that they will need to go to some sort of glasses free holographic technology for the next try.
humbland is offline  
post #2094 of 2096 Old 09-28-2016, 08:44 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
biliam1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 1,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
Thanks muchly guys.
I tried to get it at 3D Bluray Rental.com, but for some reason, it's not available. It's a sign of the times. They used to carry all the latest releases. It seems like the AV world has moved on to 4K OLED...
My guess is that they will need to go to some sort of glasses free holographic technology for the next try.
Funny you should mention that, Eric.....

Glasses-free 3D in Cinema
biliam1982 is offline  
post #2095 of 2096 Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
humbland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post
Funny you should mention that, Eric.....

Glasses-free 3D in Cinema
Wow! Thanks for the link. I hope it pans out (HT humor)
humbland is offline  
post #2096 of 2096 Old Today, 03:11 AM
fpr
Member
 
fpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Spain
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm still happy with my Sharp. The 3D is excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I watched it on the 30K last night, it does look excellent on the 142" HP. I mainly use the RS600 for 2D and 3D but there's definitely something special about the 3D DLP image, very solid and flawless with the x-talk control.
How about your RS600 vs Sharp Z30K relating to Ghosting / x-talk?
fpr is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc5 , Sharp An3dg20b 3d Glasses Black Single , Sharp He Xvz17000 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv , Sharp Xv Z30000 Dlp
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off