Sharp XV-Z30000 3D DLP - Page 71 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 48Likes

post #2101 of 2115 Old 11-16-2016, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Hi Jason,
Glad to hear that you are still a Sharp guy (DLP humor).
I got the impression that the the improved 3D on the latest JVCs meant that you had moved on.
What is your general impression of the 4K DLP projector market? Do you see any additions in 2017 to threaten JVC and Sony?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 2115 Old 11-16-2016, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
Hi William,
It's all good. We still enjoy the Z30K, almost every night. The combination of the Darbee and the HP screen make the picture "pop" with that DLP "Sharpness". I have little desire to upgrade. When there is more 4K content available , perhaps.
+1 on your Z30K sports take. It's like having a 110" plasma display.
I'm glad that you are still enjoying yours.
The one for sale for $1700 seems like a great buy. Hard to believe that no one has stepped up. I believe that this PJ was one of the all time "under the radar" values.
Perhaps high rez DLP technology is not cost effective to manufacture. It depends on inherent sharpness, without the software tweaks that JVC and Sony use. However staying with DLP in the 4K+ resolution means having to use a very expensive lens. My $.02.
The companies saw OLED as the wave of the future. The new Benq 4K seems like a possibility. I continue to hold out hope...
If I wasn't projecting a ~150" 16:9 in a poorly light controlled sunny Florida living room, I'd keep it. I just need sheer brightness. But this projector is definitely the dark horse that won.

Don't care too much about native 4K. The Wobulation thingy with a 4K input would likely suffice. Don't think they need that much of a better lens for that.

I'm more interested in WCG/10 bit. And maybe HDR once projectors get bright enough with lasers. But I read you need a bat cave for that as any ambient light negates the benefits.

I'm still hoping the DLP camp is working on some major advancements. Maybe the whole dual DMD thing will materialize. Or something else will come about that can put them back in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I've been using the 30K a lot lately, still on my first lamp and I have FIVE extras!! this is my version of cheap laser/led since those lamps were practically free.

I'm going to check out Star Wars 3D tonight on it. Sharp G20 glasses are still the best 3D glasses on planet earth. very comfortable
Are you going to compare it to the JVC/Sony's?

Quote:
Hi Jason,
Glad to hear that you are still a Sharp guy (DLP humor).
I got the impression that the the improved 3D on the latest JVCs meant that you had moved on.
What is your general impression of the 4K DLP projector market? Do you see any additions in 2017 to threaten JVC and Sony?
I'm sure Jason will chime in, and while I haven't been tracking the new offerings too much, I don't remember seeing much talked about that could be considered all that great. Too high a MSRP, lack of specs, or poor performance, etc.
post #2103 of 2115 Old 11-16-2016, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3827 Post(s)
Liked: 1821
I would imagine the only great looking unit announced so far is the one coming from Sim2. From what I hear they spent quite a bit of effort in extracting as much contrast from this new DMD as possible. That still probably only means 2000-3000:1 native contrast. Then factor in that they're using a lens that has "bragging rights", combined with their usually excellent custom video processing and I would imagine the image quality to be generally excellent. How it stacks up against current JVC and Sony offerings is hard to say going off of what we know so far but I suspect that it will be similar in overall image quality that we see from other high end 3 chip 1080p DLP units.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
FS: Sony VPL-VW665ES Native 4K, 3D & HDR Capable Projector
post #2104 of 2115 Old 11-16-2016, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
I would imagine the only great looking unit announced so far is the one coming from Sim2. From what I hear they spent quite a bit of effort in extracting as much contrast from this new DMD as possible. That still probably only means 2000-3000:1 native contrast. Then factor in that they're using a lens that has "bragging rights", combined with their usually excellent custom video processing and I would imagine the image quality to be generally excellent. How it stacks up against current JVC and Sony offerings is hard to say going off of what we know so far but I suspect that it will be similar in overall image quality that we see from other high end 3 chip 1080p DLP units.
What model is that? Is that using the new "Wobulation" technique? WCG/10bit/HDR/4K input, etc?

And isn't Sim2 usually >$10K? I was hoping for something in the $5K range to compete with the likes of JVC even if it didn't get all the way there with contrast.
post #2105 of 2115 Old 11-16-2016, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post
What model is that? Is that using the new "Wobulation" technique? WCG/10bit/HDR/4K input, etc?

And isn't Sim2 usually >$10K? I was hoping for something in the $5K range to compete with the likes of JVC even if it didn't get all the way there with contrast.
None of the new DLP units using the new wobulation DMDs are priced anywhere near $5000 unfortunately. The Sim2 unit is $30000. I dont k ow what it supports in terms of UHD BD features. It won't be for a few years till we see one reach $5000 in my opinion. Same goes for a JVC or Sony 4K unit.
post #2106 of 2115 Old 11-16-2016, 09:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
None of the new DLP units using the new wobulation DMDs are priced anywhere near $5000 unfortunately. The Sim2 unit is $30000. I dont k ow what it supports in terms of UHD BD features. It won't be for a few years till we see one reach $5000 in my opinion. Same goes for a JVC or Sony 4K unit.
By the time we have a 4K DLP for $5K, there will be 100" roll up OLED displays

Seegs, didn't you get off the DLP bandwagon? I have not been carefully following Jason's thread, but I seem to recall that you went to the dark side (JVC).

Last edited by humbland; 11-16-2016 at 09:36 PM.
post #2107 of 2115 Old 11-16-2016, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Seegs, didn't you get off the DLP bandwagon? I have not been carefully following Jason's thread, but I seem to recall that you went to the dark side (JVC).
I still have a soft spot for a good DLP projector. In fact, I always have at least one DLP projector on hand. Right now I have an InFocus IN82 which is an excellent single chip DLP projector that uses the big .95" DMD. As far as the smaller .65" units go, and I've said this many times before, the Z30K is by far the most well rounded unit I've had here. I just wish TI kept up on upgrading the performance aspect of DLP in general. It's a shame really because DLP really is the highest performance projection technology out there with one exception and that's why I've turned to "the dark side' as you put it. What can I say? My current JVC DLA-RS500 is spectacular. It's extremely sharp, very high in brightness, state of the art as far as on/off contrast goes, decent in terms of motion handling with 24p content, has the most well rounded 3D image I've yet seen (though the Z30K will be a tad cleaner in terms of crosstalk), and is semi-future proof from a UHD BD standpoint. There's just a lot to like about it and is, in my opinion, the best value out there in front projection today.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
FS: Sony VPL-VW665ES Native 4K, 3D & HDR Capable Projector
post #2108 of 2115 Old 11-17-2016, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
I fear the DLP has rested on it's laurels too long. They might be so far behind in the game and not having something close to $5K now that they're just furthering themselves out of the market sooner then later.

I think the 4K E-Shift is fine for myself (and most). It's the other features that JVC provides around this price point and below that matter more.

Quote:

OLED has a long way to go still. I've seen burn in on some screen but don't know the model numbers. But roll up panels would be cool. Not a factor for me as I'm not worried about aesthetics. With a flat screen like that you need matching speakers that are flat and not many that are like that sound great and can get to reference.

Quote:
I still have a soft spot for a good DLP projector. In fact, I always have at least one DLP projector on hand. Right now I have an InFocus IN82 which is an excellent single chip DLP projector that uses the big .95" DMD. As far as the smaller .65" units go, and I've said this many times before, the Z30K is by far the most well rounded unit I've had here. I just wish TI kept up on upgrading the performance aspect of DLP in general. It's a shame really because DLP really is the highest performance projection technology out there with one exception and that's why I've turned to "the dark side' as you put it. What can I say? My current JVC DLA-RS500 is spectacular. It's extremely sharp, very high in brightness, state of the art as far as on/off contrast goes, decent in terms of motion handling with 24p content, has the most well rounded 3D image I've yet seen (though the Z30K will be a tad cleaner in terms of crosstalk), and is semi-future proof from a UHD BD standpoint. There's just a lot to like about it and is, in my opinion, the best value out there in front projection today.
The RS500 is great. I own one. But it does have it's downsides as well. Black field uniformity, lens streaking, etc.
post #2109 of 2115 Old 11-17-2016, 07:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2637 Post(s)
Liked: 2495
Quote:
Are you going to compare it to the JVC/Sony's?

I'm sure Jason will chime in, and while I haven't been tracking the new offerings too much, I don't remember seeing much talked about that could be considered all that great. Too high a MSRP, lack of specs, or poor performance, etc.
not sure what future the new DLP projectors hold, the contrast so far has been terrible, missing current 2016 features like HDR and WCG and very expensive. Curious who their target audience is, it's definitely not me..

I still have the .95 DC4 Planar for gaming, Sharp 30K for TV general use and 3D and the RS600 for 2D / 3D BD + UHD. I'm good for at least another year as I finish up my audio upgrades then time to enjoy for a while.

The Sharp is still one of my favorite .65 3D DLP's made and plan on keeping it and using it for several years.
post #2110 of 2115 Old 11-17-2016, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I fear the DLP has rested on it's laurels too long. They might be so far behind in the game and not having something close to $5K now that they're just furthering themselves out of the market sooner then later.

I think the 4K E-Shift is fine for myself (and most). It's the other features that JVC provides around this price point and below that matter more.

OLED has a long way to go still. I've seen burn in on some screen but don't know the model numbers. But roll up panels would be cool. Not a factor for me as I'm not worried about aesthetics. With a flat screen like that you need matching speakers that are flat and not many that are like that sound great and can get to reference.

The RS500 is great. I own one. But it does have it's downsides as well. Black field uniformity, lens streaking, etc.
The streaking I only see if there's white text on an all black background (rare) and I don't personally ever see the bright corners because currently I'm zooming to fill my 120" 2.35:1 screen so the letterbox bars where the corners are get soaked up by the black velvet masking around my screen. Very rarely do I watch a 16/9 or 1.85:1 movie and an instance where an all black image on screen occurs is quite rare too which would be the only time I'd notice them anyways. For me these are very forgiving drawbacks compared to mediocre contrast performance 100% of the time even on the best DLP projectors.
post #2111 of 2115 Old 11-21-2016, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
not sure what future the new DLP projectors hold, the contrast so far has been terrible, missing current 2016 features like HDR and WCG and very expensive. Curious who their target audience is, it's definitely not me..

I still have the .95 DC4 Planar for gaming, Sharp 30K for TV general use and 3D and the RS600 for 2D / 3D BD + UHD. I'm good for at least another year as I finish up my audio upgrades then time to enjoy for a while.

The Sharp is still one of my favorite .65 3D DLP's made and plan on keeping it and using it for several years.
Do you use the Planar because it has low input lag? Or because it has better sharpness with it's .95 chip and mixes better with processed digital games?

How do you like the 3D on the Sharp vs the JVC? I haven't had time to do much 3D on the JVC but I want to.

What audio upgrades are you planning? Speakers or subs or treatment?

Quote:
The streaking I only see if there's white text on an all black background (rare) and I don't personally ever see the bright corners because currently I'm zooming to fill my 120" 2.35:1 screen so the letterbox bars where the corners are get soaked up by the black velvet masking around my screen. Very rarely do I watch a 16/9 or 1.85:1 movie and an instance where an all black image on screen occurs is quite rare too which would be the only time I'd notice them anyways. For me these are very forgiving drawbacks compared to mediocre contrast performance 100% of the time even on the best DLP projectors.
I'm able to see the streaking on a lot of opening and closing credits. Even see it on subtitles sometimes.

I, and many others, are not running scope screens. My roommates are too technologically illiterate to be handle an A-Lens and pushing a couple extra buttons on the remote. So the bright corners do show up at night when watching low APL scenes.

But, I agree. They are not as bad as overall lack of performance and specs with current DLP's in 2016. If TI and the like don't do something by next CEDIA, I'd probably say DLP is dead and cannot come back from that in the <$5k price range.

And while I wouldn't say they are forgiving drawbacks, they are manageable. My old Oppo 103 was able to move the subtitles. Hopefully the new 203 will too when I get it next month. And the bright corners do dim some commensurate with the lamp.
post #2112 of 2115 Old 11-22-2016, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Greyscale and CMS

Any insight into dialing in greyscale on this unit with the lack of a proper CMS? I have never seen the type of "eye dropper" management system that this unit has (and only two values to boot).

Zombie or others- any input? I still love my machine, but am thinking of going to the JVC and I have a friend interested in one of my Sharps, but I would like to see how well I can make it work first.

Living the HT Dream in 4D.
3D DLP Cinema 106"@9ft w/5.4.2 Atmos Sound and 6 Aura Bass Shakers
post #2113 of 2115 Old Today, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post
Any insight into dialing in greyscale on this unit with the lack of a proper CMS?
Greyscale isn't dialled-in with CMS (Color Management System). I had no problem with dialing-in greyscale with on-board PJ controls.

It's inaccurate color that is an undefeatable problem with this projector. I wasn't able to fix either wrong green hue/saturation or red luminance by using hardware controls or software.
post #2114 of 2115 Old Today, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2637 Post(s)
Liked: 2495
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post
Any insight into dialing in greyscale on this unit with the lack of a proper CMS? I have never seen the type of "eye dropper" management system that this unit has (and only two values to boot).

Zombie or others- any input? I still love my machine, but am thinking of going to the JVC and I have a friend interested in one of my Sharps, but I would like to see how well I can make it work first.
Hi, you would need a calibrated meter to properly adjust the greyscale.

What is your room setup like? it is light treated to take advantage of the JVC's high native contrast?
post #2115 of 2115 Old Today, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Hi, you would need a calibrated meter to properly adjust the greyscale.

What is your room setup like? it is light treated to take advantage of the JVC's high native contrast?
Thanks for the replies.

I have a basic Spyder III meter and HCFR software and have done basic greyscale calibration on my previous projectors with full color management systems so I am not quite a newbie (surely not like you, Elix and others using much more sophisticated software and meters). However with this PJ I don't really understand the red and blue controls- I assume this is merely saturation? Then, the CMS eye dropper system brings up the correct controls but literally makes me pick a color- two total. Do I pick solid red and blue from a calibration disc pattern (I have the AVS disc as well as HD basics) and use the grey patterns to try to dial it in as best as I can since I understand green push is less problematic- and what does that do for the previous red and green values, or do I leave them alone?

My theater is dark, fully light controlled (actually no widows at all) and the color scheme is a milk chocolate brown with dark chocolate ceilings and screen wall. Screen is fixed Elite Screen 1.0 gain.

Living the HT Dream in 4D.
3D DLP Cinema 106"@9ft w/5.4.2 Atmos Sound and 6 Aura Bass Shakers

Last edited by larrimore; Today at 08:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc5 , Sharp An3dg20b 3d Glasses Black Single , Sharp He Xvz17000 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv , Sharp Xv Z30000 Dlp
Gear in this thread