Sharp XV-Z30000 3D DLP - Page 72 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 49Likes

post #2131 of 2136 Old Today, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Hi Josh Z,
Bummer.
We still use our Z30K almost every night as well. It is an amazing device. I have been hoping that we can hang in there until someone makes a 4K DLP with powered lens controls.
I recall struggling with a similar issue years ago and ended up sending it in for service (search this thread for details).
Is there any other symptom (from the indicator LEDs)? What about the overall fan noise level? Any changes?

The Z30K had an unusually long OEM warranty of 3 years. If you used a cc to buy it, then most extend that by a year. It's possible that you have a small amount of warranty coverage left.
Sharp replaced our original Z30K ,with a refurb, almost 3 years after date of purchase. The problem we had sounds a lot like your current issue. The lamp would shut down after a min or two. It turned out to be a bad fan. Sharp could not get the replacement part and hence the refurb.
Although Sharp CS was no "day at the beach" to deal with, in the end they came through. It might be worth a call to their tech support. They are no longer in the FP buisness, but they may be able to suggest something.
Perhaps Jason, or some other Z30K fan will post here with some thoughts.
Also, there have been some great buys on Z30Ks recently (see earlier on this page). If I could get a good one for somewhere in the $1K range, then I would be tempted to stay with it.
Hang in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2132 of 2136 Old Today, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2170 Post(s)
Liked: 1450
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
Is there any other symptom (from the indicator LEDs)? What about the overall fan noise level? Any changes?
No, nothing else seems unusual regarding lights or fan noise.

The first symptom was a "Change the Lamp" warning indicator on screen. I'm coming up on 2,000 hours, which is what the lamp is rated for when not in Eco mode (and I guess the projector wasn't in Eco, even though I thought it was). So, that makes sense. Soon after that, the shutdown problem started. I thought that perhaps the projector was automatically going into shutdown mode as a protection measure, but resetting the lamp counter did nothing. It still shuts down after a couple minutes.

Quote:
The Z30K had an unusually long OEM warranty of 3 years. If you used a cc to buy it, then most extend that by a year. It's possible that you have a small amount of warranty coverage left.
I bought the projector as part of the Woot deal in May of 2013. I probably used a credit card, but I would have to look up the details and find out if it provides any warranty extension.

Quote:
Sharp replaced our original Z30K ,with a refurb, almost 3 years after date of purchase. The problem we had sounds a lot like your current issue. The lamp would shut down after a min or two. It turned out to be a bad fan. Sharp could not get the replacement part and hence the refurb.
Like I said, one of my fans doesn't appear to be spinning when the projector is on. If that part is really no longer available, I'm probably screwed.

Could it be normal that one fan wouldn't be spinning, though? Like, is it possible that both fans only engage if you put it into High Altitude mode? (Probably not, but it's worth checking.)

Quote:
Also, there have been some great buys on Z30Ks recently (see earlier on this page). If I could get a good one for somewhere in the $1K range, then I would be tempted to stay with it.
That's far out of my budget, unfortunately. I have another projector in my theater (a JVC D-ILA), but it sucks at 3D and I don't like to use it for TV watching. I can use it as a fallback in the meantime until I get this sorted out, though.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #2133 of 2136 Old Today, 08:53 AM

My bank says my credit card offers a 1 year extension to the warranty. They also say I can use any authorized repair center, it doesn't have to be the manufacturer itself. Anyone have recommendations?

Josh Z

post #2134 of 2136 Old Today, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
My bank says my credit card offers a 1 year extension to the warranty. They also say I can use any authorized repair center, it doesn't have to be the manufacturer itself. Anyone have recommendations?
I would first try Sharp. FWIW, we also got our original one with the Woot deal. They honored the warranty, though I had to email them supporting docs.
They probably have the best handle on ongoing Z30K issues. My guess is that this was not an isolated problem and they may have a fix "in the can".
Check this thread for alternative repair outfits. If I recall, when we had problems, Jason suggested someone that could be of help.
Post back and let us know how it goes.
Good luck.
post #2135 of 2136 Old Today, 10:41 AM

What happened to zombie? His recent posts in this thread were deleted and he hasn't responded to a PM I sent him.

Josh Z

post #2136 of 2136 Old Today, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
I would first try Sharp. FWIW, we also got our original one with the Woot deal. They honored the warranty, though I had to email them supporting docs.
They probably have the best handle on ongoing Z30K issues. My guess is that this was not an isolated problem and they may have a fix "in the can".
Check this thread for alternative repair outfits. If I recall, when we had problems, Jason suggested someone that could be of help.
Post back and let us know how it goes.
Projector Lamp Genie says they might be able to get another OEM lamp for this model by next week. I'm hoping this is all a lamp issue and that solves the problem. If it doesn't, I'll have to explore repair options.

Josh Z

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc5 , Sharp An3dg20b 3d Glasses Black Single , Sharp He Xvz17000 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv , Sharp Xv Z30000 Dlp
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page