Sharp XV-Z30000 3D DLP - Page 72 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 49Likes

post #2131 of 2149 Old 03-23-2017, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Hi Josh Z,
Bummer.
We still use our Z30K almost every night as well. It is an amazing device. I have been hoping that we can hang in there until someone makes a 4K DLP with powered lens controls.
I recall struggling with a similar issue years ago and ended up sending it in for service (search this thread for details).
Is there any other symptom (from the indicator LEDs)? What about the overall fan noise level? Any changes?

The Z30K had an unusually long OEM warranty of 3 years. If you used a cc to buy it, then most extend that by a year. It's possible that you have a small amount of warranty coverage left.
Sharp replaced our original Z30K ,with a refurb, almost 3 years after date of purchase. The problem we had sounds a lot like your current issue. The lamp would shut down after a min or two. It turned out to be a bad fan. Sharp could not get the replacement part and hence the refurb.
Although Sharp CS was no "day at the beach" to deal with, in the end they came through. It might be worth a call to their tech support. They are no longer in the FP buisness, but they may be able to suggest something.
Perhaps Jason, or some other Z30K fan will post here with some thoughts.
Also, there have been some great buys on Z30Ks recently (see earlier on this page). If I could get a good one for somewhere in the $1K range, then I would be tempted to stay with it.
Hang in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2132 of 2149 Old 03-23-2017, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2225 Post(s)
Liked: 1487
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
Is there any other symptom (from the indicator LEDs)? What about the overall fan noise level? Any changes?
No, nothing else seems unusual regarding lights or fan noise.

The first symptom was a "Change the Lamp" warning indicator on screen. I'm coming up on 2,000 hours, which is what the lamp is rated for when not in Eco mode (and I guess the projector wasn't in Eco, even though I thought it was). So, that makes sense. Soon after that, the shutdown problem started. I thought that perhaps the projector was automatically going into shutdown mode as a protection measure, but resetting the lamp counter did nothing. It still shuts down after a couple minutes.

Quote:
The Z30K had an unusually long OEM warranty of 3 years. If you used a cc to buy it, then most extend that by a year. It's possible that you have a small amount of warranty coverage left.
I bought the projector as part of the Woot deal in May of 2013. I probably used a credit card, but I would have to look up the details and find out if it provides any warranty extension.

Quote:
Sharp replaced our original Z30K ,with a refurb, almost 3 years after date of purchase. The problem we had sounds a lot like your current issue. The lamp would shut down after a min or two. It turned out to be a bad fan. Sharp could not get the replacement part and hence the refurb.
Like I said, one of my fans doesn't appear to be spinning when the projector is on. If that part is really no longer available, I'm probably screwed.

Could it be normal that one fan wouldn't be spinning, though? Like, is it possible that both fans only engage if you put it into High Altitude mode? (Probably not, but it's worth checking.)

Quote:
Also, there have been some great buys on Z30Ks recently (see earlier on this page). If I could get a good one for somewhere in the $1K range, then I would be tempted to stay with it.
That's far out of my budget, unfortunately. I have another projector in my theater (a JVC D-ILA), but it sucks at 3D and I don't like to use it for TV watching. I can use it as a fallback in the meantime until I get this sorted out, though.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #2133 of 2149 Old 03-23-2017, 08:53 AM

My bank says my credit card offers a 1 year extension to the warranty. They also say I can use any authorized repair center, it doesn't have to be the manufacturer itself. Anyone have recommendations?

Josh Z

post #2134 of 2149 Old 03-23-2017, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
My bank says my credit card offers a 1 year extension to the warranty. They also say I can use any authorized repair center, it doesn't have to be the manufacturer itself. Anyone have recommendations?
I would first try Sharp. FWIW, we also got our original one with the Woot deal. They honored the warranty, though I had to email them supporting docs.
They probably have the best handle on ongoing Z30K issues. My guess is that this was not an isolated problem and they may have a fix "in the can".
Check this thread for alternative repair outfits. If I recall, when we had problems, Jason suggested someone that could be of help.
Post back and let us know how it goes.
Good luck.
post #2135 of 2149 Old 03-23-2017, 10:41 AM

What happened to zombie? His recent posts in this thread were deleted and he hasn't responded to a PM I sent him.

Josh Z

post #2136 of 2149 Old 03-23-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I would first try Sharp. FWIW, we also got our original one with the Woot deal. They honored the warranty, though I had to email them supporting docs.
They probably have the best handle on ongoing Z30K issues. My guess is that this was not an isolated problem and they may have a fix "in the can".
Check this thread for alternative repair outfits. If I recall, when we had problems, Jason suggested someone that could be of help.
Post back and let us know how it goes.
Projector Lamp Genie says they might be able to get another OEM lamp for this model by next week. I'm hoping this is all a lamp issue and that solves the problem. If it doesn't, I'll have to explore repair options.

Josh Z

post #2137 of 2149 Old 03-30-2017, 07:58 AM

I have an update to this situation with good news/bad news.

I received a second replacement lamp for the projector. The first replacement lamp was clearly defective and is being RMA'd now. I put in the new lamp and turned on the projector, and got a picture of sufficient brightness. This is a good sign. The projector ran for more than two minutes without shutting down. Another good sign. I was starting to think that my problems were all related to the lamps - the original one hitting the end of its lifespan and the next one being defective.

Then the projector shut itself off after 10 minutes for no reason.

Dammit.

I let it cool off for a bit and then tried again. This time, I immediately turned on High Fan mode (which really isn't much louder than regular fan mode). Better results this time. I was able to watch two hours of television with no unwanted shutdowns. The projector turned off normally by my command.

I'm torn on what to do next. If not for that 10-minute shutdown I'd feel a lot better about things. Assuming this problem doesn't recur over the next few days, I don't know whether I should send the projector in for servicing. I only have about a month left on my warranty extension, so it seems like it would be better to be safe than sorry. On the other hand, I'd hate to ship off the projector only for Sharp to say they can't find anything wrong with it and send it back without doing anything. I'd be without the projector for potentially weeks/months, and there's a lot of risk of damage during shipping.

Also, it turns out I was wrong about one of the fans not spinning. I took a closer look last night and confirmed that both fans were in fact working, even during normal lamp mode. One of them is just hard to see.

If this problem is all related to overheating and High Fan mode solves that, great. That's no problem. However, if the projector is overheating now, when the weather is still frigid and my room was pretty damn chilly at the time, what's going to happen in the summer?

Josh Z

post #2138 of 2149 Old 03-30-2017, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Congrats on your progress. I would suggest getting a can of compressed air and blowing out the air channels. It could be that there is something inhibiting the flow.
Other than that, if you are still under warranty, what have you got to lose? If you can duplicate the shut down issue consistently, then they will be able to as well.
Keep us posted.
Good luck.
post #2139 of 2149 Old 03-31-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Other than that, if you are still under warranty, what have you got to lose? If you can duplicate the shut down issue consistently, then they will be able to as well.
Unfortunately, I can't duplicate the issue consistently. I ran the projector for another three hours last night without any problems. If this were something that happened on a consistent basis, I would definitely send it for servicing. If not, however, I'm concerned that Sharp will just take a quick look at it, not find anything immediately wrong, and send it right back without doing anything.

Josh Z

post #2140 of 2149 Old 03-31-2017, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, I can't duplicate the issue consistently. I ran the projector for another three hours last night without any problems. If this were something that happened on a consistent basis, I would definitely send it for servicing. If not, however, I'm concerned that Sharp will just take a quick look at it, not find anything immediately wrong, and send it right back without doing anything.
If you search this thread, you will find that we had an intermittent issue with our Z30K. It finally got so annoying that I sent it in. I described the situation and the techs held onto it and were able to duplicate the problem, after a couple of days. The replacement part was out of stock, so they sent us a refurb.
After a frustrating start, Sharp CS came through for us. I would give them a shot while you still have warranty coverage. My $.02...
post #2141 of 2149 Old 04-14-2017, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, just bought a used Z30K, looking for the 3D emitter which is not included. Difficult to find replacement everywhere. Wondering if those Xpand models will work. Hope someone has tried could give some comment. thanks.
post #2142 of 2149 Old 04-14-2017, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruijinlu View Post
Hi, just bought a used Z30K, looking for the 3D emitter which is not included. Difficult to find replacement everywhere. Wondering if those Xpand models will work. Hope someone has tried could give some comment. thanks.
PM Zombie,
He is the resident Z30K 3D guru.
Where did you find a used Z30K? How much was it?
post #2143 of 2149 Old 04-14-2017, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
PM Zombie,
He is the resident Z30K 3D guru.
Where did you find a used Z30K? How much was it?
thanks for the reply. It seems I could not do PM at this moment. I bought this z30k on ebay.
post #2144 of 2149 Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM

I'm moving a conversation out of another thread back to this one, where it's more appropriate:

Quote:
Did you ever solve the problem with your Sharp Z30K?
We have one and it's been a wonderful addition to our HT. I too had a lamp problem well into the warranty period and Sharp replaced it with a refurb. We are passed the time when the warranty extension will help us. I just keep hoping that it hangs in there until some DLP manu. offers a 4K PJ, with powered lens controls for <$4K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z
Not to sidetrack this thread too much, but the new replacement lamp seems to be doing OK with only the one instance of an unwanted shutdown.
Quote:
Where did you get the lamp and how much was it? Also, if I recall, you had to switch the fan mode. Did you ever check to see if you could recreate the issue?
Thanks.
I got the replacement lamp from projectorlampgenie.com. With expedited shipping, it came to just under $400.

The first lamp I received was defective. I had to exchange that for another one. On the first attempt with the newest lamp, my projector shut itself down after about 10 minutes. The next time I tried, I immediately switched to High Fan mode. I have not had any further incidents. I'd got about 40 hours on the lamp at the moment.

I really don't want to recreate the issue, so I haven't tried to force it.

The projector's contrast doesn't look so great with the new lamp, compared to my original lamp. Black levels are elevated and the picture looks pretty flat. I haven't done a recalibration yet because I'm waiting to get to 100 hours on the lamp. Hopefully that's the root of the problem and a new calibration will get me back to the nice picture I remember.

Josh Z

post #2145 of 2149 Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks.
Please post back when you try to calibrate.
BTW, Jason may have some thoughts to help with the picture. He is the resident Z30K lamp expert.
I'm not sure he is following this thread any longer, but you could PM him.
Hoping to keep our Z30K going as long as we can. Any info is appreciated.
post #2146 of 2149 Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Thanks.
BTW, Jason may have some thoughts to help with the picture. He is the resident Z30K lamp expert.
I'm currently still using the calibration settings from my first lamp, which had nearly 2,000 hours on it. I've just been waiting for the new lamp to break in before attempting to calibrate again. I'm hopeful that will take care of it.

One thing I've noticed, however, is that the new lamp is a lot slower to warm up than I'm used to. My original lamp put a bright picture on the screen pretty quickly. This one starts really dim and takes a lot longer to slowly fade up.

Josh Z

post #2147 of 2149 Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm currently still using the calibration settings from my first lamp, which had nearly 2,000 hours on it. I've just been waiting for the new lamp to break in before attempting to calibrate again. I'm hopeful that will take care of it.

One thing I've noticed, however, is that the new lamp is a lot slower to warm up than I'm used to. My original lamp put a bright picture on the screen pretty quickly. This one starts really dim and takes a lot longer to slowly fade up.
When we got the refurb, we also got a factory OEM new lamp directly from Sharp. It might be worth contacting tech support and see if they have them available...
Jason is a wiz at the lamp stuff. Give him a shout out and see if he has any ideas.
post #2148 of 2149 Old Yesterday, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3055 Post(s)
Liked: 3139
Quote:
Thanks.
I tested 3 of the 5 spare lamps and all were basically the same for color calibration. no wide variances between the factory lamp and the SHP135's I bought a few years ago. it's hard to say what's happening with Josh's projector.

I have 8 pairs of the G20's and keep them on 'trickle' charge with a 10 port USB charger. The 30K is still working well and still use it for TV and 3D.
post #2149 of 2149 Old Today, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I tested 3 of the 5 spare lamps and all were basically the same for color calibration. no wide variances between the factory lamp and the SHP135's I bought a few years ago. it's hard to say what's happening with Josh's projector.

I have 8 pairs of the G20's and keep them on 'trickle' charge with a 10 port USB charger. The 30K is still working well and still use it for TV and 3D.
8 x G20's? you must have some big 3D shin digs...
I remember that you stocked up on the Z30K lamps. Have you used any of them yet (other than to test them out).
Amazing to me that with all your PJs, you still use the Z30K a significant amount. How many hours per week is it in operation? Do you use it more than your JVC(s)?

Since we are here in the DLP "zone", what's your take on the 4K DLP implementation so far? Do you think we will see a 4K DLP with powered lens controls any time soon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc5 , Sharp An3dg20b 3d Glasses Black Single , Sharp He Xvz17000 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv , Sharp Xv Z30000 Dlp

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page