The 200 Inch Dream- is it possible? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 01-13-2012, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good Day fellow cinephiles.

Currently I have a Da-Lite High Power 120 inch wide Cinemascope screen with a Viewsonic Pro8200. To say the image is a stunner is quite an understatement.

In a few months I'll be moving into a new home, with some extra money, and I have one goal- build a 200 inch home theater with the same level of brightness as my current setup.

So far I've decided on a few things-

I'll need a

1. Vutech 6.0 Gain Silverstar screen (If this is a wrong choice let me know, I currently use a 2.8 Gain High Power and LOVE it)
2. The room is going to be 20 X 20
3. It will be in 2.35 format

Now my question to you is, what projector?

Should I use the stacking method?

I am not the biggest videophile, but I understand the concept of good pq, is it possible to get something gorgeous on a 200 inch screen with any decent commercial projectors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-13-2012, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 147
You can't really beat the brightness of a Viewsonic Pro8200 until you get to some projectors that are either VERY expensive or are even more so a business projector than the Viewsonic. The Benq sp890 might work, but it only has a 3x color wheel and you may not like the intense RBE it can give out.

I think your best bet is probably just buying a new lamp on the Viewsonic and then if you are really doing 6.0 gain on a 200" screen, the Viewsonic is plenty bright for that.

Personally I would not waste that much money on a 200" screen, that is overkill. Just sit closer to the screen and it will have the same general effect (sort of), go for 135" to 150" or something so that you have a wider selection of projectors that can be used with the screen.

You never stated a budget either or your particular uses or likes for a projector, so it's hard to give any opinion beyond what I already stated.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3 of 31 Old 01-13-2012, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

I have a 5k budget for the projector. I am going to use this system for mostly film.

As for the 200 inch quote, like they say, go big or go home .
post #4 of 31 Old 01-13-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Immersive is great - but how close are you planning on sitting?
post #5 of 31 Old 01-13-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 43
It comes down to how many ft/lmbs can you live with? A HP would help, but I don't know if they go that big. THere is a guy that recently put in a big screen in MD with a Epson pj. I think he has a thread in the DIY screens.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #6 of 31 Old 01-13-2012, 08:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

It comes down to how many ft/lmbs can you live with? A HP would help, but I don't know if they go that big. THere is a guy that recently put in a big screen in MD with a Epson pj. I think he has a thread in the DIY screens.

He could do 200" pretty easy with the Mocom Power Screen, but not at his budget.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #7 of 31 Old 01-13-2012, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Wow this is the first time I've read about Mocom Tech. I would be willing to increase my budget and save for the year.
post #8 of 31 Old 01-13-2012, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

You could do it with an Epson 5010 running in DYNAMIC mode with only a 1.5 gain surface, that should give you around 20 fL. The dynamic mode isn't too bad, but it depends how picky you are.

If I were going to go that large, I'd probably have someone paint the screen at 3.0 gain or something, then you can run the Epson 5010 in Lamp High at around 17 fL in best mode at Mid-Zoom.

Although I'd definitely go for a closer mount in this case, mount the projector closer and it can get you around 20 fL. I would probably do this with the 5010 even though a JVC has a slightly brighter best mode, simply because the Epson has a lot brighter dynamic modes if you end up needing it.

Another alternative would be a DLP like the Benq w1200, this is a definite step-up from the Viewsonic, but it can't quite match a JVC for movies, or even really an Epson 5010. The Sony hw30 is also a possibility.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #9 of 31 Old 01-13-2012, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

You could do it with an Epson 5010 running in DYNAMIC mode with only a 1.5 gain surface, that should give you around 20 fL. The dynamic mode isn't too bad, but it depends how picky you are.

If I were going to go that large, I'd probably have someone paint the screen at 3.0 gain or something, then you can run the Epson 5010 in Lamp High at around 17 fL in best mode at Mid-Zoom.

Although I'd definitely go for a closer mount in this case, mount the projector closer and it can get you around 20 fL.

Unfortunately for me I want a configuration where I can get 40 ft/L or more. It all sounds unreasonable, and a little crazy, but hence this is why we research and ask the big guys what to do.

My current Viewsonic looks good *Enough*. I just want something that will be *bright* enough to look like a giant television.
post #10 of 31 Old 01-13-2012, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

If you ever get it setup, I'd like to see it one day depending where you are.

OK so 40fL, well contact a member named Mississippi Man and see what he could do for you maybe to paint a 7.0 gain surface or something. I personally don't understand why you want 40fL though, it isn't going to look like a giant TV in a darkened room, it's going to look like a giant TV that is way too bright.

Also, if you sit too close, the resolution is not going to look that great. You'll definitely only want to use it with a Bluray source.

post #11 of 31 Old 01-13-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Also, I'd actually go LCOS or DLP in this case instead of the Epson 5010.
Scratch what I said earlier, you'll be sitting way too close that SDE is going to be a major issue I think.

Maybe an RS-55 with e-shift, but it's going to be a bit DIM as the lamp wears in, otherwise a DLP has a decent pixel fill, maybe a Benq w1200.

post #12 of 31 Old 01-13-2012, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 376
That is going to be way too bright in a dark room. Half of that brightness would be fine in a dark theater room, it would be plenty bright. Plus with a screen that size you're going to be lighting up the room as it is from all the scatter. Plus a 20 x 20 room is horrible acoustically, just FYI. How close do you plan on sitting? My room is 16 x 21 and I have a 120 diagonal screen. I could go wider but not much taller as it would encroach on my center speaker (Paradigm Signature C5 on their stand). I take it you aren't going to have anything else up there except the screen? Where are your speakers going to be?

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #13 of 31 Old 01-13-2012, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
My local Frys uses a painted screen with about 200 inches and the Epson 8350, 3010, LG AF115 and Benq W6000 all looked great on it.
The room is light controlled and I was impressed that these projectors could look great on a painted wall.

The distance from the projector to screen was about 25-30 feet.
I guess you never know unless you try.

As mentioned, you probably want to only view a 1080p source once you go this big and closer than 1x the screen width.

post #14 of 31 Old 01-13-2012, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You might try this super bright model.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Knol...ms-HDO2200.htm
post #15 of 31 Old 01-14-2012, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

That is going to be way too bright in a dark room. Half of that brightness would be fine in a dark theater room, it would be plenty bright. Plus with a screen that size you're going to be lighting up the room as it is from all the scatter. Plus a 20 x 20 room is horrible acoustically, just FYI. How close do you plan on sitting? My room is 16 x 21 and I have a 120 diagonal screen. I could go wider but not much taller as it would encroach on my center speaker (Paradigm Signature C5 on their stand). I take it you aren't going to have anything else up there except the screen? Where are your speakers going to be?

Hey Kris! I don't know if you remember, but I met at you at a Home Theater gathering in 2007/8 in Seattle. This was back when HD-DVD was still relevant. It was an AV123 GTG. You an awesome dude .

Currently I sit 15 feet away from my 10 foot wide screen. I have some placement issues, but nothing jarring, and the image from my seating position looks absolutely fantastic with the Viewsonic Pro8200. I am absolutely in love with my current level of brightness.
Everyone that comes over is so in love with the pop, that is the first thing they mention. In fact, my main concern is brightness. If I can mantain a similar level of brightness and move into 15 feet wide screen and sit 20 feet away, I will be in bliss.

This is a lofty goal that will require both a high gain screen, and a projector with slightly less accurate colors, but thats the price you pay for going big.

What projector and screen combination do you reccomend? I figured I would take the Silverstar due to its relative high performance and lack of hotspotting, and I would go for something with super high lumens and/or stack.
post #16 of 31 Old 01-14-2012, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Also, I'd actually go LCOS or DLP in this case instead of the Epson 5010.
Scratch what I said earlier, you'll be sitting way too close that SDE is going to be a major issue I think.

Maybe an RS-55 with e-shift, but it's going to be a bit DIM as the lamp wears in, otherwise a DLP has a decent pixel fill, maybe a Benq w1200.

The RS-55 would be at the top of my list if it weren't for lack of lumens. Everything about it is amazing, but the dim image would be a huge deterrant.
post #17 of 31 Old 01-14-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingparrots View Post

Good Day fellow cinephiles.

Currently I have a Da-Lite High Power 120 inch wide Cinemascope screen with a Viewsonic Pro8200. To say the image is a stunner is quite an understatement.

In a few months I'll be moving into a new home, with some extra money, and I have one goal- build a 200 inch home theater with the same level of brightness as my current setup.

So far I've decided on a few things-

I'll need a

1. Vutech 6.0 Gain Silverstar screen (If this is a wrong choice let me know, I currently use a 2.8 Gain High Power and LOVE it)
2. The room is going to be 20 X 20
3. It will be in 2.35 format

Now my question to you is, what projector?

Should I use the stacking method?

I am not the biggest videophile, but I understand the concept of good pq, is it possible to get something gorgeous on a 200 inch screen with any decent commercial projectors?

It's good you are getting some help in the direction you want to go, but I'll add (with others) some notes of caution concerning your quest:

Are you sure you'll be happy limiting your choice of projectors so severely (to ones bright enough to light up such a screen on your budget?). This will build-in a permanent restriction on any future projectors you may buy - you may have to pass up some really nice advancements in picture quality because the greatest advancements tend to happen in the "normal" less bright projector offerings from other companies (or, alternately, at huge prices for the ultra-high end projectors that try to combine these advances WITH really high brightness). Just a thought for the future...

How sensitive are you to screen artifacts? You are lucky with your current HP screen - it is a high gain screen with a very smooth surface and shows very little screen texture or "sparklies." Moving up to a 6.0 gain from another manufacturer, Silverstar, is a whole different ball game in that regard. The Silverstars are known for having more pronounced screen texture (sparkly/crystally texture overlaying the projected image) vs the HP screen. Again, going 200" builds in this permanent restriction on the screen surfaces available for your use. Be sure you can put up with the compromises that happen with such really high gain screen materials.

And as others have mentioned is more likely to interact with your room, further affecting contrast. (As well as having to fully zoom out the image).

The upshot is: In moving to a screen that large, even if you sat a distance in which the screen looked the same size as your current screen (in other words, if you sit further away from your 200" screen so it fills the same angle of view as your current screen), you are likely to get somewhat worse image quality. Sitting closer to your new 200" screen will likely decrease the relative picture quality further.

Now, if you truly have a lust for such a huge screen, and for some people a massive screen trumps other considerations as they enjoy the sheer size, then go for it. But these are things to consider...you may not enjoy the same quality you have now.
post #18 of 31 Old 01-14-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

Hey Kris! I don't know if you remember, but I met at you at a Home Theater gathering in 2007/8 in Seattle. This was back when HD-DVD was still relevant. It was an AV123 GTG. You an awesome dude .

If you're still in Seattle, go check out the Frys in Renton.
they have those projectors I listed in their projector booth to use/test.
Just get one of their sales guys to assist you in check them out to get an idea of what can be done with a budget projector.
Also, you could ask what they used for the screen paint if you happen to like the gain and color.

post #19 of 31 Old 01-14-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Acer P7500 1920 x 1080 DLP Home Theater Projector
4,000 ANSI Lumens
40000:1

my bothers considering this pj for a large screen

(fifth element)
post #20 of 31 Old 01-14-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Check out the hdi3d laser projector

Going to get released in feb but oops wrong forum since its 50,000
post #21 of 31 Old 01-14-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Is the 1000ES to expensive ?
Because I think it could do all the things you need in your request on the 200" picture .

It ( hopfully ) will have light enought ( about 1200 - 1500 lumen calibrated and probely 1500- 1800 lumen not to far off D65 ) and if you discover that it is to bright as Kris suggest, you can allways close the iris and run at low lamp

it will allso have the resolution and picture quality, even if you sit close to the big screen

dj
post #22 of 31 Old 01-14-2012, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post

Check out the hdi3d laser projector

Going to get released in feb but oops wrong forum since its 50,000

No way in any sane mind would ever spend that much on a home theater. I am sure this can be done within he confines of my budget. I do wish I could get a demo of a vutec silverstar to see what it's all about.
post #23 of 31 Old 01-14-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Do those screens even come in 200" sizes, I would try the paint method first, just hire someone to do it right. At least with the paint you can change the gains later and it's not the end of the world to get it re-painted or whatever.

I've never seen a painted screen, but I'm sure they look pretty good.

post #24 of 31 Old 01-14-2012, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 74
Look at the Benq SP891. It's 1080p with 4500 lumens for $2500 and I'm sure you can make a good AT screen for about $500 that's 200in. With 2000 lumens, you should get 20fL. My Optoma GT720 looks really good on my 220in outdoors screen and its only 720p. One day I will have a 300in set up for just sports and video games
post #25 of 31 Old 01-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
A high gain screen is a very poor choice for 2.35 CinemaScope. You will end up with a significant variation in brightness across the width of the screen.
I have always felt that matt white or a maximum of 1.1 gain will give the best possible picture quality.
post #26 of 31 Old 01-14-2012, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffman View Post

A high gain screen is a very poor choice for 2.35 CinemaScope. You will end up with a significant variation in brightness across the width of the screen.
I have always felt that matt white or a maximum of 1.1 gain will give the best possible picture quality.

Currently I use a high power screen and it shows no sign of "significant" brightness variation .
post #27 of 31 Old 01-14-2012, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 74
Quote:

The RS-55 would be at the top of my list if it weren't for lack of lumens. Everything about it is amazing, but the dim image would be a huge deterrant.

If you are looking at a high gain screen as high as 6 gain, it will be plenty bright. The RS55 with the eshift will give you your best bet at a good enough image to watch quality films on that size of a screen that will not cost $25k+.

If you paint your room really dark, 12-16 fL should be really bright, but the RS55 with a 6 gain screen will be over 40 fL
post #28 of 31 Old 01-15-2012, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

How sensitive are you to screen artifacts? You are lucky with your current HP screen - it is a high gain screen with a very smooth surface and shows very little screen texture or "sparklies." Moving up to a 6.0 gain from another manufacturer, Silverstar, is a whole different ball game in that regard.

That's a good point. The HP screen is the only screen with gain i've seen that doesn't add objectionable sparkling and visible screen texture. Even the Studiotek G3 material at 1.3 gain added enough sheen to distract in movies. If you go with another high gain solution I suspect you'll end up with 200" of sparkly sheen and visible screen surface.
post #29 of 31 Old 01-15-2012, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

What is everyone's opinion on stacking projectors and seams in projector screens? I'm thinking I'll try and get the largest high power I can get and stack two Viewsonic Pro8200s together .
post #30 of 31 Old 01-15-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 167
parrot,

You can get the brightness you want within your budget, but you'll have to sacrifice contrast.

Re the Silverstar, IIRC Darin found upon testing that it's gain is ~3.

You haven't said how far away from your new screen you're going to sit, but unless it's relatively far, I don't see how you can avoid hotspotting except with a retroreflective screen like the Hipower, unless you use a curved screen.

Noah
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page