Home theater showroom - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-15-2012, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know of any home theater showrooms in the Orlando fl area? I have spent hours looking on google and calling around with no success. I am hoping to see Epson 5010 and Jvc rs45 in person. It seems like everyone I talk to on the phone are consultants and just want to help me make my theater room a dream room. I am trying to do this all myself and would love to see what these pjs look like in person before I shell out 2 - 4k.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-15-2012, 10:00 PM

Liked: 20
The problem is that with very low margin projectors, a retailer can not justify the costs of a display and for higher margin projectors, many will abuse the displaying dealer and buy from a source selling at a lower price because of no display costs or an out of state source that doen't have to charge you your state sales tax.

Your best bet is to find a forum member in your area that owns the model you are considering and is willing to risk life and limb or posessions in showing it to you if the unlikely event that you turn out to be a criminal.

Another option is to order it from a source such as AV Science which allows a return less in and out shipping costs below a certain number of bulb hours on the projector bulb hour meter.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-16-2012, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

I had never considered buy 2 and returning one. I guess that would be the most optimal solution.
post #4 of 15 Old 01-16-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Mark: what are the "certain number of bulb hours"?
post #5 of 15 Old 01-16-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I believe 4.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 15 Old 01-16-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wow, 5 posts and we're already off-topic. Must be a new record.
Have you tried a local Best Buy or hhgreggs? The market in MickeyTown should be huge enouigh to justify having projector displays.

Wolfie
post #7 of 15 Old 01-16-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Huh?

This is all related to the op's question...

Except this post now...

post #8 of 15 Old 01-16-2012, 02:54 PM

Anything less than 5 hours on the bulb hour meter. If you get one now and put less than 5 hours on it, it must be in the return shipping system before Superbowl Weekend. No. You can't order a lot of projectors to try and then return them all but one. But given that many projectors can neither be seen or heard locally, we don't want anyone to be unhappy So you could order two and return one but we would want you to be very serious about keeping one.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-16-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Also keep an eye out for HT trade shows in your area, they sometimes have a projector demo setup if you get lucky, sometimes even just semi-small ones have one or two setup, but it's harder to find JVC demos.

I've had so-so luck at Fry's and Best Buys, and I travel a lot for my job. Lately Fry's has been closing down the theater rooms and putting a big TV there instead, not all of them but a lot of them. It's pretty dumb looking to see a 82"+ (however big it was) in a giant theater room with a bunch of projectors sitting in the booth in the back but no screen to turn them on to.

I actually saw a bunch of different models at Fry's projecting onto a wall, didn't help me much though. Most of the ones Fry's has are lower-end models, Epson 3010 and Benq w1100 are the ones I keep seeing and they are almost never turned on and many times there is no screen to display them with. I think a few Fry's do have the Sony hw30 setup, but I haven't seen it yet at the ones I've been to, they do sell it though. Don't buy it there if you see one, it's overpriced, AVS has better prices.

for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #10 of 15 Old 01-16-2012, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Also keep an eye out for HT trade shows in your area, they sometimes have a projector demo setup if you get lucky, sometimes even just semi-small ones have one or two setup, but it's harder to find JVC demos.

I've had so-so luck at Fry's and Best Buys, and I travel a lot for my job. Lately Fry's has been closing down the theater rooms and putting a big TV there instead, not all of them but a lot of them. It's pretty dumb looking to see a 82"+ (however big it was) in a giant theater room with a bunch of projectors sitting in the booth in the back but no screen to turn them on to.

I actually saw a bunch of different models at Fry's projecting onto a wall, didn't help me much though. Most of the ones Fry's has are lower-end models, Epson 3010 and Benq w1100 are the ones I keep seeing and they are almost never turned on and many times there is no screen to display them with. I think a few Fry's do have the Sony hw30 setup, but I haven't seen it yet at the ones I've been to, they do sell it though. Don't buy it there if you see one, it's overpriced, AVS has better prices.

This mimics my local Fry's as well.

I was at Best Buy last week, with some time on my hands, so I asked to see the HW30 they had in their projector room. Took almost 30 minutes to get someone that new how to turn it on AND get the screen to go down. When it did, the image on just a 92" screen was so dim and washed out. All lights off except what was coming in through the glass door but even that should have been inconsequential. After the reviews I have read on this site I highly doubt that was a valid representation of the PJ. That demo would have sent me running to the nearest flat panel...

post #11 of 15 Old 01-16-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
dasoccerbomb

I am the owner of AV Science. I am in Bradenton FL. If you can make the drive PM me and I will bring these in for you to put through their paces side by side and you can leave with the one of your choice.

Regards!
post #12 of 15 Old 01-16-2012, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Wow thank you Alan. I will pm you with a few other questions
post #13 of 15 Old 01-16-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Wow, not too many people, let alone owners, would do something like this. What a nice guy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

post #14 of 15 Old 01-16-2012, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

Wow, 5 posts and we're already off-topic. Must be a new record.
Have you tried a local Best Buy or hhgreggs? The market in MickeyTown should be huge enouigh to justify having projector displays.

Wolfie

I have tried a number of different best buys with no luck. Best buy only seem to carry lower end models. I have not tried hhgreggs yet but I have probably called at least 10 businesses that show up when you type home theater and zip code into google
post #15 of 15 Old 01-16-2012, 05:34 PM

AG. Is indeed a nice guy. But look at that picture. And that was on a good hair day.

But then again, at least he shows his. There is a reason I don't show mine.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page