Home Theater Owners Near Milwaukee WI? - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

Old 01-26-2016, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 1821
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
tcramer I can do calibrations in and around the Milwaukee area.

buzzard767 does as well I think.

tcramer -

Go with Chad B (Billheimer). He's an acquaintance of mine and a super nice guy. He can do your audio as well as video. If Chad won't be making the rounds soon, SOWK is properly equipped to do the job.

I spend winters in Naples and only travel short distances when in Wisconsin. My main interest in display calibration is 3D LUTs working with LightSpace (Light Illusion) and selling eeColor processors world wide for the LUTs.
Mike_WI likes this.

Buzz
THX Certified Level II Video Calibrator
eeColor Processors

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2016, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
tcramer I can do calibrations in and around the Milwaukee area.

buzzard767 does as well I think.

SOWK - how often do you get up around Madison? (I'm in Waunakee) What would your going rate be? For reference, I have one of the new JVC RS600's.

It may just be time for me to invest in a meter and start some of this on my own.

Feel free to PM if you don't want to post on the thread.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
SOWK - how often do you get up around Madison? (I'm in Waunakee) What would your going rate be? For reference, I have one of the new JVC RS600's.

It may just be time for me to invest in a meter and start some of this on my own.

If your willing to learn, DIY is always a great option. So if you're up to it go for it.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:20 AM
Audiophile in Training

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Sorry for the interruption by the little guy without a projector, but as far as audio is concerned, what or who are you folks using for proper room calibration? I just purchased a UMIK-1 cal. mic., downloaded REW, and purchased a miniDSP 2 X 4 in a box, unbalanced. I got the miniDSP, for when I add two more subs. I assume that I have to pick up a boom mic stand (if I remember correctly), but I still have to go through all of the REW learning (at a preschooler's pace). If I had someone calibrate my room for audio (smaller living room), what do people normally charge for that? I am in Milwaukee, WI (near airport) for now...

Yamaha RX-3050A Receiver (Powering C, R L/R, S L/R, FH L/R, and RH L/R) + (2) Emotiva XPA-100 (Powering F L/R)
(2) BIC Acoustech PL-980II,(4) BIC Acoustech PL-89II,BIC Acoustech PL-28II (C),(4) BIC Acoustech HT-8C (Ceiling/Atmos),(2) PL-200 subs
Samsung UN65F8000 1080P
Sony PS4 as Blu-Ray Player + Nvidia Shield for Kodi/Various Streaming
Old 01-27-2016, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My niece is in Waunakee - http://www.mainstreetchiros.com/ and my sister is in Merrimac so I get to your area a few times a year. I normally charge in beers nowadays.
Mike_WI likes this.

Buzz
eeColor Processors

Old 01-27-2016, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
My niece is in Waunakee - http://www.mainstreetchiros.com/ and my sister is in Merrimac so I get to your area a few times a year. I normally charge in beers nowadays.
Nice! When you're up here let me know. I may have a 12 pack for you

Old 04-05-2016, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Another WI build starting up. I am in Oregon and have a small basement room with its challenges. It will be lower budget and built out over time. I plan on DIYing most of it.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlederer View Post
Another WI build starting up. I am in Oregon and have a small basement room with its challenges. It will be lower budget and built out over time. I plan on DIYing most of it.
If you do decide you need any professional help, contact Audio Contractors right in Oregon. I haven't actually purchased anything from them but I checked out a projector in their small space and have emailed the owner, John, many times. They are very helpful and know their stuff.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Good to know. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2016, 10:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thumbs up CIR-Engineering calibrator

Quote:
Has anyone found or used a calibrator local to the Madison/Milwaukee area?

I've used ChadB before who is great, but he can only get out this way so often. Although, if there was enough interest from folks in this thread, perhaps we'd get enough for a southern WI tour.
Late to reply, but I have used Craig Rounds (he is located in Chicago, IL but will drive to WI).
He has optimized my setup for Lumagen Radiance and ISCOIIIL lens.

AVS Username: CIR-Engineering

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/member...gineering.html
http://www.cir-engineering.com/index.php

"I'’m frequently on video calibrations tour. I service the entire USA and EU nations on a regular basis. Please email for availability."

Mike

Last edited by Mike_WI; 04-12-2016 at 10:23 AM. Reason: added info from Craig's profile...
Old 04-13-2016, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Having recently just finished reading through this thread, I figured I should pop in and say "hello". I think SOWK changes projectors more than most people change pants!

I moved to a new home a little while back and have just been using a BenQ W1080ST, painted screen, Onkyo TXN509, Energy Take 5 Speakers, and a Polk PSW10. This very budget setup worked quite well in my previous home with a very small dedicated room, but gets swallowed up in the much larger dedicated space now.

The new room is a current work in progress and is open on one corner so it certainly has its acoustical challenges, but here are the "future" specs.

Projector: Sony VPL-HW40ES
Screen: Silver Ticket 120" STR-169120
Speakers: Polk LSiM 703 (LR), Polk LSiM 706C (C), Energy Take 5 (SL, SR, SBL, SBR)
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 1400
Electronics: Marantz SR-5010, Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, Unraid Server with hardware pass through HTPC
Seating: 4 Fusion Tributes in Black Leather + auxiliary love seat

This is still squarely in the budget category compared to most of the amazing theaters I have witnessed on this thread, but should be a big improvement for me. The room is 17.5' x 16.5' with 8' finished (drywalled) ceilings. This room was already drywalled and finished when I moved in so it has been a challenge setting this up for a theater environment.

At this point the custom av cabinet is partially done, wires have been run, projector was mounted, walls have been patched, and it is nearing time to paint. After painting, I will need to finish up my av cabinet where I ran all the wiring to and find a center channel stand. If there is still room in the budget, I will be replacing the carpet, attempting to "black out" areas near the screen, and shopping for some real surrounds. All of this took on a new found urgency when I recently found out I need another surgery on my wrist so we are on the fast track now

The only thing I really think I might re-evaluate is the Fusion Tributes that I bought. I am not a huge fan of them, and my wife really likes to be able to lay down while watching movies and tv shows. They seem to be solidly built chairs with great quality leather, but it just doesn't really fit our needs.
Jeff Permanian likes this.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleat View Post
At this point the custom av cabinet is partially done, wires have been run, projector was mounted, walls have been patched, and it is nearing time to paint. .
You probably know this already but I want to just re-iterate the importance of paint color.
Ideally, a bat cave, with all black, is the most suitable for home theatre but it is not practical for many of us.
I tried an all black room and it was claustrophobic and awful!
By next day, I had it repainted - dark red.. and some medium grey.
Please consider these colors.
Hopefully, you can paint the ceiling black or very dark grey?

Also, acoustic panels are very important.
Fiberglass board is ideal.. but there are many thick cotton insulator materials at homedepot.
Also, I found good value in acoustic panels on amazon - ATS i believe is the name of the company..
These two factors would greatly enhance your home theatre experience..
Fleat and Mike_WI like this.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post
You probably know this already but I want to just re-iterate the importance of paint color.
Ideally, a bat cave, with all black, is the most suitable for home theatre but it is not practical for many of us.
I tried an all black room and it was claustrophobic and awful!
By next day, I had it repainted - dark red.. and some medium grey.
Please consider these colors.
Hopefully, you can paint the ceiling black or very dark grey?

Also, acoustic panels are very important.
Fiberglass board is ideal.. but there are many thick cotton insulator materials at homedepot.
Also, I found good value in acoustic panels on amazon - ATS i believe is the name of the company..
These two factors would greatly enhance your home theatre experience..
I agree.
When we built our basement the original guys painted a white ceiling. Bad.
The walls are "stone" color I think (see my HT thread if interested in pics and details).
Last summer we changed the light carpet to dark and it made a huge difference.
That was one of the flaws SOWK saw in my HT setup (and rack aiming lights directly at screen).
"Next" (?) HT build will have a dedicated gear room, better door position etc.
Room design is more important than electronics.

Mike
Fleat likes this.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:29 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I did read through most of the "Black Theater Improvement Thread" so I have some pretty good ideas from there.

I didn't really want to paint everything black because the room opens into a hallway and stairwell so I compromised a bit on colors. I purchased Black Fox for the walls, and Gauntlet Gray for the ceiling. I plan to do a half moon of black velvet on the ceiling near the screen, and have a large black throw rug on order for the floor by the screen.

The acoustic panels that you mentioned are interesting. I don't really notice any echo in the room at the moment. How would I determine where to place those?

I really do wish this was a closed off dedicated room, but the layout of the house just doesn't lend itself to that unfortunately.

Last edited by Fleat; 04-14-2016 at 06:33 AM.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
The acoustic panels that you mentioned are interesting. I don't really notice any echo in the room at the moment. How would I determine where to place those?

I really do wish this was a closed off dedicated room, but the layout of the house just doesn't lend itself to that unfortunately.
Black Fox and gaunted grey seem to be excellent choice. Adding black velvet to the ceiling and black floor rug would make huge improvements. Over all, your plan seems to be "as good as it can get", without making it a bat cave.

If your room is open, the openings are like infinite acoustic absorbers. That's probably why you hear less reverberations.

Having said that - you should seriously consider adding as many panels as you can. Consider hanging panels from the ceiling.. The ATS panels you can buy seem to have wooden back - not a great idea. I would suggest a loop carpet back.. and then a gap of about 4" from the dry wall. It is a little known fact that adding gap between the acoustic panel and the wall, makes a significant improvement, over attaching the panel to the wall. I experienced this first hand - when brought the panels out about about 3" or so, the acoustic improvement was clearly audible.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post
Black Fox and gaunted grey seem to be excellent choice. Adding black velvet to the ceiling and black floor rug would make huge improvements. Over all, your plan seems to be "as good as it can get", without making it a bat cave.

If your room is open, the openings are like infinite acoustic absorbers. That's probably why you hear less reverberations.

Having said that - you should seriously consider adding as many panels as you can. Consider hanging panels from the ceiling.. The ATS panels you can buy seem to have wooden back - not a great idea. I would suggest a loop carpet back.. and then a gap of about 4" from the dry wall. It is a little known fact that adding gap between the acoustic panel and the wall, makes a significant improvement, over attaching the panel to the wall. I experienced this first hand - when brought the panels out about about 3" or so, the acoustic improvement was clearly audible.
I am hoping that the colors go well with the oak trim I have while also darkening the theater a fair bit. Hopefully I will have some semi finished pictures in the not too distant future.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had my wife hold a mirror on the wall and shot a laser from where my head would be at the main listening position (front row enter) to the tweeters of the L,C, & R speakers. Three panels are on each wall at the determined positions. I also have panels on the back wall.

Fleat likes this.

Buzz
eeColor Processors

Old 04-15-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
I had my wife hold a mirror on the wall and shot a laser from where my head would be at the main listening position (front row enter) to the tweeters of the L,C, & R speakers. Three panels are on each wall at the determined positions. I also have panels on the back wall.
<snip>
Love the theater room you have there! That seems like solid advice. I will follow up on the audio treatments after I have made some progress in other areas.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Having recently just finished reading through this thread, I figured I should pop in and say "hello". I think SOWK changes projectors more than most people change pants!
I'm down to swapping out about one a year now.
Mike_WI likes this.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Question

Quote:
I'm down to swapping out about one a year now.
What do you think about the new JVC RS500?
Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread

Lumagen RadiancePro line?
New Lumagen Radiance Pro Series

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-15-2016, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post
What do you think about the new JVC RS500?
Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread

Cheers,

Mike
The RS500 is a great projector, but you might as well wait for the new ones at the end of the year.

I have the RS400 and was able to do a side by side in my own theater.

The blacks are better on the RS500, but the RS400 didn't have the same bright corner issue the RS500 did.

The RS500 did have slightly less white on black streaking though.

Overall close in performance.
Mike_WI likes this.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cheers,

Mike
Lumagen always makes great products. It's more of a question of do you want the extra flexibility and calibration features it offers over not having it at all?

For most, its not worth the extra money, but if there are features you find intoxicating and have the avail budget for it... go for it.
Mike_WI likes this.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
The RS500 is a great projector, but you might as well wait for the new ones at the end of the year.

I have the RS400 and was able to do a side by side in my own theater.

The blacks are better on the RS500, but the RS400 didn't have the same bright corner issue the RS500 did.

The RS500 did have slightly less white on black streaking though.

Overall close in performance.
I am happy (still) with my JVC RS20, but recent Lumagen Radiance XE issue (sent in for Dx/repair?) has me thinking about 4K and upgrades to accomplish that.
No immediate need for 4K projector, but also I know that "...new ones at the end of the year" often end up as "early next year".
Then if you wait for any early bugs to be worked out you are nearly to Mar/Apr.

I guess waiting another generation on JVC model and using after late 2016 Oppo UHD would be reasonable.
Then pondering new RadiancePro vs. replace AVR with 4K passthrough....
I know you look at a lot of projectors and think about these things a lot.
I've been in quiet/satisfied mode for a while.

Mike
Old 04-15-2016, 11:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Question Lens memory function

Quote:
Lumagen always makes great products. It's more of a question of do you want the extra flexibility and calibration features it offers over not having it at all?

For most, its not worth the extra money, but if there are features you find intoxicating and have the avail budget for it... go for it.
(sorry if going off thread track...)

Thanks.
I love(d) the easy aspect ratio switching (and prior 5x5x5 LUT calibration with A/B for ISCOIIIL adjustment) with Radiance XE.

What do you think of the JVC
Quote:
Lens memory function memorizes 5 positions for focus, zoom and shift.
Maintains constant height for 2.35, 1.85, 1.78 on same screen.
Mike
Old 04-15-2016, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am happy (still) with my JVC RS20, but recent Lumagen Radiance XE issue (sent in for Dx/repair?) has me thinking about 4K and upgrades to accomplish that.
No immediate need for 4K projector, but also I know that "...new ones at the end of the year" often end up as "early next year".
Then if you wait for any early bugs to be worked out you are nearly to Mar/Apr.

I guess waiting another generation on JVC model and using after late 2016 Oppo UHD would be reasonable.
Then pondering new RadiancePro vs. replace AVR with 4K passthrough....
I know you look at a lot of projectors and think about these things a lot.
I've been in quiet/satisfied mode for a while.

Mike
You are correct that I am always thinking about the updates. I can't wait for Ultra HD, but I need a UHD Blu-Ray player with analog outputs for my "setup".

I hear the Oppo is actually not going to be this year and will be in mid to late 2017

I will likely pick up the Panasonic the moment it goes on sale in the US.

I have such a large screen that UltraHD would be a drastic improvement from the increase in resolution alone. Let alone the HDR and Rec. 2020/DC 3 color spacing improvements as well! Exciting times for sure.

I'll probably get the newest JVC / Panasonic UHD Blu-Ray at the same time in late Nov/Dec
Mike_WI likes this.

Last edited by SOWK; 04-15-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
(sorry if going off thread track...)

Thanks.
I love(d) the easy aspect ratio switching (and prior 5x5x5 LUT calibration with A/B for ISCOIIIL adjustment) with Radiance XE.

What do you think of the JVC

Mike
I personally don't use the Lens Memory Function as it is never "Perfect" enough for my OCD... LOL.

A couple of my close theater friends do use it and find it works well and I hear no complaints from them.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I personally don't use the Lens Memory Function as it is never "Perfect" enough for my OCD... LOL.

A couple of my close theater friends do use it and find it works well and I hear no complaints from them.
Traits (eg OCD traits, not DSMIV diagnosis) that can be dysfunctional in some settings can be attributes in others (eg accounting, surgery, and video calibration...).

Mike
Old Today, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I made a major improvement to my home theater this week.

I replaced my Dyson with a roomba. If you have black or dark carpet in your theater you know you have to vacuum it constantly. Well the roomba will solve that. Now I have more time to enjoy my system.

I had to take the roomba completely apart so I could hack the cliff sensors, but it now works great on the black carpet.
AbbyDaddy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Jvc Rs50u , Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Marantz Vp 11s2 Dlp Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Jvc Dla Rs4810 3d Home Theater Projector
taboola here