Home Theater Owners Near Milwaukee WI? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 547 Old 01-25-2012, 02:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Midwest User1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 426
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I haven't taken any pictures but here is my list:

- Room Size I built: 15 Feet wide by 20 Feet long (Dedicated Theater Room)
- Pioneer Elite Projector PRO- FPJ1 (RS2 clone)
- Stewart G3 Firehawk 110" screen (16:9 format)
- Integra 9.8
- Paradigm Signature Series 7 channel speaker system (Natural Maple finish)
- Anthem A5 & Anthem A2 Amps
- Many hours of personal sweat into building my room but I loved doing it
- Pioneer 51FD Blu-Ray player
Midwest User1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 547 Old 01-25-2012, 02:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Midwest User1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 426
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
SOWK. I'd love to have your assistance in a calibration of my Projector as that has never been done.
Midwest User1 is offline  
post #63 of 547 Old 01-25-2012, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wauwatosa, WI
Posts: 3,939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest User1 View Post

SOWK. I'd love to have your assistance in a calibration of my Projector as that has never been done.

It may be a bit, but I'll see if we can schedule it in at some point.
SOWK is online now  
post #64 of 547 Old 01-25-2012, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
bioforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedO View Post


My VMPS speakers are not the series II but older versions. From my understanding, the Series II in the RM40 and RM2 only added the waveguides to the mid panels and tweeters which can be done to any set of existing VMPS speakers. I hesitated doing this upgrade because the benefit it gives is a wider dispersion of the high frequencies, giving you a larger sweet spot in the room. I'm thinking a more pinpoint focalization of the sound is better, if you're the one in the sweet spot.

Hi TedO,

The VMPS Series II generally offer the following:

1) The New CDWGs that fit on the drivers themselves\\
2) Improved cabinets and bracing
3) Side Firing Passive Radiators in the Floor Standing models instead of the slot loaded PRs before.

Quote:


I bought my RM40s second hand and they came with spiral tweeters and TRT caps. I have done all the upgrades except for the series II and the ribbon tweeter. I have a set of Aurum Cantus G3 ribbon tweeters that will be replacing the spiral tweeters as soon as I can find time.

Speak to Brian prior to perfroming any surgery on your cabinets. The twin Spiral Ribbons have a higher (longer) space than the single FST (newer) tweeter. In the frequencies these operate in the spacing between drivers is critical to a smooth response and anomalies like comb filtering. Brian could be more help in making sure you're on the right trac before you start.

As well, I beleive there is an XO change for the two models. I know the FST crosses at 5.9Khz. I think the Spiral Ribbons might be different.



Quote:


My living room system has a set of RM30's and a Larger subwoofer. The series II upgrade to the 30s is a little more involved and I plan to do that some day.

Good luck and have fun.

Regards,

John
CENTURY CITY AV
bioforce is offline  
post #65 of 547 Old 01-26-2012, 05:18 AM
Senior Member
 
TedO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi John,

I have already talked to both Brian and you on the tweeter change, I'm Brax on Audiocircle.

I planned to also veener my 40's during the tweeter change, I really like the look of the fully wrapped speakers. Mine have the black fronts now.

So the new RM40 series II are going to have side firing PRs? If so, what size PR would he use on the 40s?
TedO is offline  
post #66 of 547 Old 01-26-2012, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wauwatosa, WI
Posts: 3,939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Question for the members?

How do you like your home theater video settings?

- calibrated / sports / dynamic / ext...


&

How do you like your home theater audio?

- Large dynamic range with bass a little over the top
- Large dynamic range with bass way over the top
- "audiophile" sound with the entire range flat from 20 - 20000htz


If you choices are different then the thing above listed please tells us about it?






For me it's

Video = Calibrated
Audio = Audiophile
SOWK is online now  
post #67 of 547 Old 01-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Member
 
mikesnapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had a chance to visit with rwaaudio and finally check out the awesome rotary subwoofer. What a nice guy and what an awesome dedicated a/v room he has. The rotary woofer is such an unusual design, but it delivers down to below 5hz!! That is an amazing sensation. His Barco CRT is still throwing a great picture.
mikesnapp is offline  
post #68 of 547 Old 01-26-2012, 12:14 PM
Member
 
mikesnapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

Question for the members?

How do you like your home theater video settings?

- calibrated / sports / dynamic / ext...


&

How do you like your home theater audio?

- Large dynamic range with bass a little over the top
- Large dynamic range with bass way over the top
- "audiophile" sound with the entire range flat from 20 - 20000htz


If you choices are different then the thing above listed please tells us about it?






For me it's

Video = Calibrated
Audio = Audiophile

I like my video calibrated

Audio is pretty program dependent. I like music pretty flat but usually run the sub a little hot. Movies I run the sub hot. I think the room is going to make some of those choices for you as well.
mikesnapp is offline  
post #69 of 547 Old 01-26-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Wolfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Madison, Alabama
Posts: 2,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

Location: Wauwatosa
Projector: Sony VPL-VW95ES
Screen: Seymour AV - Center Stage XD 150" wide 2.35:1
Speakers: Vandersteen Quatro's (LR), Vandersteen VCC5 (C), Vandersteen VSM1 (Surrounds), Vandersteen VSM1 (Rears)
Subs: Vandersteen V2W
Electronics: Denon 4311CI, Parasound P3, Parasound A21, LG BD670
Calibration Equipment: iOne Pro, Dell Inspiron 8600 w/ Serial Port

Pictures:

Room:
Front:
Side:
Rear:
Audio:

SOWK, I live in Alabama, but I'd travel to Milwaukee to see your HT. That's AWESOME! Was that a DIY, or did you pay to have that done?

Wolfie
Wolfie is offline  
post #70 of 547 Old 01-26-2012, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wauwatosa, WI
Posts: 3,939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post


SOWK, I live in Alabama, but I'd travel to Milwaukee to see your HT. That's AWESOME! Was that a DIY, or did you pay to have that done?

Wolfie

I really appreciate the comment.

The bare bones were done via contractor with my very very strict design and rules... Lol.

Empty basement:



Below is we're it was when I took over.



Then I did the rest.

And before you do something like drive to Wisconsin, let me get a 4k display first.

Even JVC'S e-shift would be perfect for me.

I'm just waiting for JVC to get 240htz+ panels and better bulbs...
SOWK is online now  
post #71 of 547 Old 01-26-2012, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wauwatosa, WI
Posts: 3,939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Rwaaudio, I would like to schedule a visit at some point, I too, am a big audiophile.
SOWK is online now  
post #72 of 547 Old 01-26-2012, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
bioforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedO View Post

Hi John,

I have already talked to both Brian and you on the tweeter change, I'm Brax on Audiocircle.

I planned to also veener my 40's during the tweeter change, I really like the look of the fully wrapped speakers. Mine have the black fronts now.

So the new RM40 series II are going to have side firing PRs? If so, what size PR would he use on the 40s?

Hi Brax,

I think he intends to use a 12" side firing PR.

Regards,

John
CENTURY CITY AV
bioforce is offline  
post #73 of 547 Old 01-27-2012, 06:00 AM
Member
 
rwaaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New Berlin, Wisc.
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesnapp View Post

I had a chance to visit with rwaaudio and finally check out the awesome rotary subwoofer. What a nice guy and what an awesome dedicated a/v room he has. The rotary woofer is such an unusual design, but it delivers down to below 5hz!! That is an amazing sensation. His Barco CRT is still throwing a great picture.

Thank you for the very kind words which I truly appreciate. I am looking
forward to seeing your HT,as well, and all of the hard work that you put into
the construction and design. Thanks again, Bob
rwaaudio is offline  
post #74 of 547 Old 01-27-2012, 06:12 AM
Member
 
rwaaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New Berlin, Wisc.
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

Question for the members?

How do you like your home theater video settings?

- calibrated / sports / dynamic / ext...


&

How do you like your home theater audio?

- Large dynamic range with bass a little over the top
- Large dynamic range with bass way over the top
- "audiophile" sound with the entire range flat from 20 - 20000htz


If you choices are different then the thing above listed please tells us about it?






For me it's

Video = Calibrated
Audio = Audiophile

,
Video should be calibrated with flesh tones natural.

Audio should be adjusted for a smooth and comfortable level,
with a great dynamic range and solid foundation.
Low level detail, is to me, the most important factor along
with imaging, depth and a huge sound-stage.
Thanks, rwaaudio, Bob
rwaaudio is offline  
post #75 of 547 Old 01-27-2012, 07:47 AM
Member
 
Milwaukeesk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For me, I much prefer the video to be calibrated for movies. Usually I will tweak one setting for video games to be slightly brighter, sharper, and minimally oversaturated. I know it's not correct, but it adds a pop to the games which I like.

Audio without a doubt "audiophile". My Anthem has a "ARC" room correction which I feel is one of the best in the business. Being able to see the response curves for each speaker and then seeing how the software attempts to correct them is very helpful. It helps pinpoint better speaker placement and room correction as well.

All that said, i'm still not convinced my sub is optimally placed. Any recommended demo material for sub placement would be much appreciated.
Milwaukeesk is offline  
post #76 of 547 Old 01-27-2012, 07:54 AM
Member
 
Milwaukeesk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest User1 View Post

I haven't taken any pictures but here is my list:

- Room Size I built: 15 Feet wide by 20 Feet long (Dedicated Theater Room)
- Pioneer Elite Projector PRO- FPJ1 (RS2 clone)
- Stewart G3 Firehawk 110" screen (16:9 format)
- Integra 9.8
- Paradigm Signature Series 7 channel speaker system (Natural Maple finish)
- Anthem A5 & Anthem A2 Amps
- Many hours of personal sweat into building my room but I loved doing it
- Pioneer 51FD Blu-Ray player

Hey Midwest User1,

I had the PRO-FPJ1 for years. I loved that projector. It's ultimately what really made me appreciate a home theater. I taught myself calibrating on it with the free HCFR software, a cheap probe, and the HCFR for Dummies tutorial. I feel like it's a good machine to learn on because it offers many settings, and a good calibration can do wonders on it from my opinion. Learning the nuances of calibrating will give you a whole new appreciation for your picture quality when you get it right.

One tip I would give you if you haven't already done it would be to check to see if the lens inside where the bulb sits is foggy. The RS2's often were the victim of a film like build up (like several other JVC projectors), and a simple cleaning can add a significant boost in brightness.
Milwaukeesk is offline  
post #77 of 547 Old 01-27-2012, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wauwatosa, WI
Posts: 3,939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukeesk View Post


All that said, i'm still not convinced my sub is optimally placed. Any recommended demo material for sub placement would be much appreciated.


I personally like behind the center channel or behind the main seating area if it is a single sub. ( I know some say bass is omni-directional, but having everything symmetrical and output coming out equally left to right to me makes a difference. )

And dual has a lot more choices...

Behind center and behind main listening.
One in between the front left and center Channel / and one between right front and the center channel.
One on the left side of the front left channel in the corner and one on the right side of the front right channel in the corner.
SOWK is online now  
post #78 of 547 Old 01-27-2012, 10:56 AM
Member
 
Milwaukeesk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How much response do you lose on average by pulling it out of the corner where subwoofers typically respond better? I really like the idea of moving it by my center channel though especially because my speakers cross over at 80 or up.
Milwaukeesk is offline  
post #79 of 547 Old 01-27-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wauwatosa, WI
Posts: 3,939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukeesk View Post

How much response do you lose on average by pulling it out of the corner where subwoofers typically respond better? I really like the idea of moving it by my center channel though especially because my speakers cross over at 80 or up.

It all depends on the sub, the more efficient it is the better they handle the move.

It's something you'll have to try, and calibrate the sub when placed in that position, and see how you like it.
SOWK is online now  
post #80 of 547 Old 01-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Midwest User1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 426
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukeesk View Post

Hey Midwest User1,

I had the PRO-FPJ1 for years. I loved that projector. It's ultimately what really made me appreciate a home theater. I taught myself calibrating on it with the free HCFR software, a cheap probe, and the HCFR for Dummies tutorial. I feel like it's a good machine to learn on because it offers many settings, and a good calibration can do wonders on it from my opinion. Learning the nuances of calibrating will give you a whole new appreciation for your picture quality when you get it right.

One tip I would give you if you haven't already done it would be to check to see if the lens inside where the bulb sits is foggy. The RS2's often were the victim of a film like build up (like several other JVC projectors), and a simple cleaning can add a significant boost in brightness.

Thanks for the tips. I did clean that lense area when I last changed my bulb and it was pretty clean so it must be sealed fairly well.
Midwest User1 is offline  
post #81 of 547 Old 01-27-2012, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wauwatosa, WI
Posts: 3,939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest User1 View Post

Thanks for the tips. I did clean that lense area when I last changed my bulb and it was pretty clean so it must be sealed fairly well.

I will see if Milwaukeesk want to come along, so he can help too...
SOWK is online now  
post #82 of 547 Old 01-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Member
 
Milwaukeesk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

I will see if Milwaukeesk want to come along, so he can help too...

Sure, If you want i'll bring my 4 year old $50 probe that's been sitting in the basement. Accuracy isn't that big deal here...is it?
Milwaukeesk is offline  
post #83 of 547 Old 01-27-2012, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wauwatosa, WI
Posts: 3,939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukeesk View Post


Sure, If you want i'll bring my 4 year old $50 probe that's been sitting in the basement. Accuracy isn't that big deal here...is it?

I'm sure he might care... I would like all of us to get to know eachother though.
SOWK is online now  
post #84 of 547 Old 01-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Midwest User1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 426
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

I'm sure he might care... I would like all of us to get to know eachother though.

Yeah it would be nice to have a full calibration done on my PJ as it's never been done. I got it when the prices dropped after Pioneer announced they were getting out of the display business (won the lottery back then with that one

My Signature Servo Sub can do some damage in the room. Right now I have my sound tweaked via the onboard Audyssey in my Integra 9.8 using 5 microphone positions. Another neat thing I did with my build is I built a projector cubbie hole in my back wall so I don't have it hanging on my ceiling (like the movie theater setup).
Midwest User1 is offline  
post #85 of 547 Old 01-28-2012, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wauwatosa, WI
Posts: 3,939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Decided to bite the bullet and get the jvc RS55, I hope it is worth it in the end...
SOWK is online now  
post #86 of 547 Old 01-29-2012, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wauwatosa, WI
Posts: 3,939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest User1 View Post

Yeah it would be nice to have a full calibration done on my PJ as it's never been done. I got it when the prices dropped after Pioneer announced they were getting out of the display business (won the lottery back then with that one

My Signature Servo Sub can do some damage in the room. Right now I have my sound tweaked via the onboard Audyssey in my Integra 9.8 using 5 microphone positions. Another neat thing I did with my build is I built a projector cubbie hole in my back wall so I don't have it hanging on my ceiling (like the movie theater setup).

Tell us your schedule, and well see what we can fit in...
SOWK is online now  
post #87 of 547 Old 01-30-2012, 04:11 PM
Senior Member
 
slots1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Tony
Love your home theater setup.
so I am very interested on your move from the Sony 95 to the jvc 70.
Like to know your opinion. marantz is still doing well. Did up date to the Anthem D2v and will need a new projector and theater when we move later this year.
Maybe you can calib. this one.
Gerry
slots1 is offline  
post #88 of 547 Old 01-30-2012, 05:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Midwest User1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 426
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

Tell us your schedule, and well see what we can fit in...

.

Will this coming Saturday work? How long will it take to do a calibration?
Midwest User1 is offline  
post #89 of 547 Old 01-30-2012, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wauwatosa, WI
Posts: 3,939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by slots1 View Post

Tony
Love your home theater setup.
so I am very interested on your move from the Sony 95 to the jvc 70.
Like to know your opinion. marantz is still doing well. Did up date to the Anthem D2v and will need a new projector and theater when we move later this year.
Maybe you can calib. this one.
Gerry

Your moving?
SOWK is online now  
post #90 of 547 Old 01-30-2012, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wauwatosa, WI
Posts: 3,939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest User1 View Post

.

Will this coming Saturday work? How long will it take to do a calibration?

Couple hours. I'll check with Milwaukeesk and see if he is avail!
SOWK is online now  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Rs50u , Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Marantz Vp 11s2 Dlp Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Jvc Dla Rs4810 3d Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off