OLED Light source? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-26-2012, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has there been any research into using OLED as a light source (lamp)? I'm guessing they would have to find a way to tint the lighting so that it can produce accurate color...

I know there is a lot going on with OLED as standard light bulb replacement... I'm sure at this point it would be cheaper to replace your furniture than it would cost to replace lighting with OLED , but just curious how feasible.it would be as a projector light source in the near future. Wonder if there would be any benefit to this over regular LED..

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-26-2012, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post

Has there been any research into using OLED as a light source (lamp)? I'm guessing they would have to find a way to tint the lighting so that it can produce accurate color.

Why? What would be the benefit of using OLED over LED as a light source?
post #3 of 10 Old 01-26-2012, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post

Has there been any research into using OLED as a light source (lamp)? I'm guessing they would have to find a way to tint the lighting so that it can produce accurate color...

I know there is a lot going on with OLED as standard light bulb replacement... I'm sure at this point it would be cheaper to replace your furniture than it would cost to replace lighting with OLED , but just curious how feasible.it would be as a projector light source in the near future. Wonder if there would be any benefit to this over regular LED..

All the light bulb replacements I've seen are plain old inorganic LEDs not the "organic LEDs" represented by the abbreviation OLED.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-26-2012, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHoyaFan View Post

Why? What would be the benefit of using OLED over LED as a light source?

That's one of the questions I asked (see my last sentence in original post)... Will OLED eventually be brighter/cheaper than regular LED. We still don't see many LED projectors and they aren't bright enough to compete with current lamps. LED still hasn't taken off in the home...Philips and GE are working on OLED as a lightning source for homes... So if they believe OLED has a chance to light our homes... why would they bother if there was no advantage over regular LED? So given this info... I'm asking does anyone think it's suitable/feasible as a light source for a projector?

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #5 of 10 Old 01-27-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
It's possible we may see small Oled imagers taking the place of DLP/LCD/Lcos chips in future projectors, if they are bright enough. One in red, one in green and the other in blue, no separate imaging chips and light source but combined with individual pixel dimming..........way off I'd say...but possible.

Having the 3 separate chips will give 3x the brightness

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-28-2012, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I don't care what anybody says, but LED lights "pulse". Some are worse than others, but EVERY led light I've ever seen (car lights, christmas lights, under cabinet lights, etc.) have a horrible flicker to my sensitive eyes.

Trust me....I know that more expensive/better made led's exist, but the all are based on a pulse modulation system, IICR. Heck, even dimmers in your house light work on pulsing, but traditional arc lamps don't INSTANTLY turn on and off with these pulses, and led's do. Even if it's extremely fast, I see it - especially out of the corner of my eye for some reason. I also see flicker on plasma tv's (more out of the corner of my eye again), but notice it straight on as well.

Maybe organic led's are more constant/stay TRULY lit, 100% of the time. I really don't know much about OLED, but that would be a benefit of them right there.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-29-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaseuser View Post

I don't care what anybody says, but LED lights "pulse". Some are worse than others, but EVERY led light I've ever seen (car lights, christmas lights, under cabinet lights, etc.) have a horrible flicker to my sensitive eyes.

Not all LEDs pulse, it depends on how the whole system was implemented. I've built/used plenty of LEDs in projects without implementing PWM to drive them.

Quote:

Trust me....I know that more expensive/better made led's exist, but the all are based on a pulse modulation system, IICR. Heck, even dimmers in your house light work on pulsing, but traditional arc lamps don't INSTANTLY turn on and off with these pulses, and led's do. Even if it's extremely fast, I see it - especially out of the corner of my eye for some reason. I also see flicker on plasma tv's (more out of the corner of my eye again), but notice it straight on as well.

I've got a number of led lights in my home (a couple of 40W equivalent A19s and some 65W equivalent pot lights) and there is no flicker from these at all. I know what you're talking about with tail lights and Christmas lights I can see that too, but there's nothing with these good LED based lights flicker wise, even when dimmed.

Quote:

Maybe organic led's are more constant/stay TRULY lit, 100% of the time. I really don't know much about OLED, but that would be a benefit of them right there.

I don't think there's anything fundamentally different about how OLED operates, my understanding is it's difference is in how it's made and what it's made of vs typical semiconductor LEDs.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #8 of 10 Old 01-29-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaseuser View Post

Not all LED lights pulse, it depends on how the whole system was implemented. I've built/used plenty of LEDs in projects without implementing PWM to drive them.

Quote:

I've got a number of led lights in my home (a couple of 40W equivalent A19s and some 65W equivalent pot lights) and there is no flicker from these at all. I know what you're talking about with tail lights and Christmas lights I can see that too.

Quote:

I don't think there's anything fundamentally different about how OLED operates, my understanding is it's difference is in how it's made and what it's made of vs typical semiconductor LEDs.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #9 of 10 Old 01-29-2012, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

Not all LED lights pulse, it depends on how the whole system was implemented. I've built/used plenty of LEDs in projects without implementing PWM to drive them.

I've got a number of led lights in my home (a couple of 40W equivalent A19s and some 65W equivalent pot lights) and there is no flicker from these at all. I know what you're talking about with tail lights and Christmas lights I can see that too.

It's nice to know that there is hope. But, some people are very sensitive to flicker, even with things that 90% of the normal population wouldn't notice. Are you sensitive to RBE or even straight up plasma televisions (phosphor lag)?
post #10 of 10 Old 01-29-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm not sensitive to RBE but I can see it on my Planar 8150 if I look for it.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page