Got Justsling now I have HDMI to projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-27-2012, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
When I built my home theater there was no hdmi. I thought future proofing meant component cabling in addition to the composite wire that I used for my first projector (yes, composite). I didn't think to put in a conduit to make any recabling easy. I've been happy with the component input for several years.

Well, now I have a JVC Rs45 and without hdmi I couldn't get above 1080i/60 resolution, nor could I do 3d. I bought a 35 foot hdmi cable from monoprice but it was thick and heavy. Just trying it out without running it thought the ceiling made me realize it wouldn't flex enough to fit the projector without sticking straight out the back and looking bad. The big problem though, was that I was going to have to rip out the drywall ceiling and route it, and I'm still not sure it was going to be long enough.

A helpful forum member (thanks SeattleHTGuy) suggested the Powercolor Justsling for getting hdmi to my projector. He hadn't used it but it claimed to pass hdmi signals wirelessly without noticeable lag. I found one review and only one place that listed it for sale. I decided to be the guinea pig and made the purchase.

The transmitter and receiver are true plug and play. I hooked the transmitter to my bluray player and the receiver to my projector and powered up. There it was, 1080p/24! Tried 3d, it worked! I then moved it to the hdmi out on my prepro and the bluray still worked fine, but I ran into an issue with my cable box that I haven't resolved in the two days I've owned it.

Even if I don't figure out the cable box issue I will keep the Justsling and run it for my bluray and component for my cable box, which is 1080i anyway. I think the justsling, which is just one of the new whdi wireless devices coming out, is extremely useful for projector users that have cabling issues or runs too long for reliable hdmi. I didn't know if a price discussion was allowed here, but it was very reasonable when weighed against the cost and time of drywall work for my project, and took about five minutes to install.

I would have to recommend it with the qualification that being hdmi there are still going to be handshake issues with certain setups. For me, it fills a need nicely.