How much difference between JVC DLA X models? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-28-2012, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have a beautiful light and sound controlled home theater and am currently using an Electrohome Marquee 9500-LC CRT projector with a Stewart perforated screen that's about 120". I'm about ready to get a digital projector since of course HDMI doesn't work on my 9500-LC (without a black box).

The JVC's sound like they do a really good job with blacks. I'm sure there are others that would work great as well. My question is, how much difference could I expect to see between the DLA X3, X7, and X9? I wouldn't spend the money on an X9 unless it was dramatically better. I know the contrast ratio is better as you go up but don't know how much difference that makes in the real world.

Also, can you do 3D adequately on a standard home theater screen?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-28-2012, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Give us a call. The question of the 55 vs the 65 is largely on of higher on off. Besides having a lower black ref value with the 65, the higher on off 120,000 to one vs 80,000 may be needed depending on your set up (loner throw/vs short throw, iris iopenung notrmal lamp mode or economy, and the gamma you ru,. If you set up short throwm open iris, and want to run a 2.5 gamma you will probaby need the 65. Set up on the JVCs like most projectors determines the on off that you will get out of the maximum possible for the machine and whether that is high enough to avoid black crush depends on the gamma you wish to run.

The RS45 is a different kettle of sardines, because it is a stripped down machine, no CMS, no multizone convergence, no 4K e shift, no cinema filter and a lower on/off.

Give Mike G or mea call and we can discus whivh JVC might be best for you. I like you had an E home ((500LC Ultra highly modified for many years but I ran HDMI using a Moome card.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-28-2012, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson View Post

I have a beautiful light and sound controlled home theater and am currently using an Electrohome Marquee 9500-LC CRT projector with a Stewart perforated screen that's about 120". I'm about ready to get a digital projector since of course HDMI doesn't work on my 9500-LC (without a black box).

The JVC's sound like they do a really good job with blacks. I'm sure there are others that would work great as well. My question is, how much difference could I expect to see between the DLA X3, X7, and X9? I wouldn't spend the money on an X9 unless it was dramatically better. I know the contrast ratio is better as you go up but don't know how much difference that makes in the real world.

Also, can you do 3D adequately on a standard home theater screen?

Thanks.

The e-shift is the biggest difference going to the RS-55 (other differences as well, just saying it's the biggest), and I think it is definitely worth it. I've never seen it, but I saw one of those 4K LCOS at the theater, and regardless if it's not true 4k, I can see it giving more film-like look for sure. Plus overwhelmingly the other forum members love E-shift.

If one of your primary goals is 3D, then I would plan on buying a secondary projector with the JVC as the primary for 2D.

That said, if 3D is occassional, you may find JVC's 3d good enough.
If you can budget the expenditure, you might consider both an RS-55 and an Epson 5010 or even an Optoma hd8300 (both purchased from AVS), that would be a killer combo IMHO for 3D.

The Epson 5010 and the RS-55 would be an incredible combination for 2D/3D.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page