No widescreen via Sharp XV-Z9000 RGB input? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-08-2002, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to connect the Skyworth DVD player to my Sharp XV-Z9000 using a 15-pin RGB cable. But, when using the 15-pin input on the Sharp, it appears there is no widescreen mode, only full-screen. Has anyone figured out a way around this?

If there is no way to get into widescreen mode, could I make a cable with a 15-pin connector on one end for the Skyworth and 5 plugs on the other for the other RGB input on the Sharp?

Thanks,
Q
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-08-2002, 07:12 PM

In order to get full wide screen on the RGB connector, you must feed the Sharp 9000 (firmware later than Dec 2000) 1280 x 720 res. Since most DVD's are 720 x 480 this is not going to work. You are probably in pixel-to-pixel mode.

You can hit the resize button on your remote to help it scale to the width of the screen if you are using the RGB connector.

"If there is no way to get into widescreen mode, could I make a cable with a 15-pin connector on one end for the Skyworth and 5 plugs on the other for the other RGB input on the Sharp? "

It would be better to plug into input 2 with a breakout cable and hit resize if required.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-08-2002, 07:16 PM

One more thing. You can of course get "widescreen mode" through RGB if you feed the Sharp 9000 1280x720 through a HTPC setup.
post #4 of 8 Old 05-08-2002, 07:59 PM

Does the vga input give you a better picture then the component inputs?
post #5 of 8 Old 05-08-2002, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Andy, thanks for your response.

Just to check, is a "breakout cable" a cable with a 15-pin connector on one end and the Y-B-R-HD-VD connectors on the other"?

And, if I use such a cable to connect the Skyworth RGB output to the Sharp #2 input, would the screen sizes work like they do for the S-video and component inputs -- in other words, can I get widescreen mode? It sounds like this would be the best solution, since I am not going to build an HTPC any time soon.

Finally, would a third option be to use an external video scaler to boost the Skyworth output up to SXGA-level resolution?

Thanks for the helpful advice,
Q
post #6 of 8 Old 05-08-2002, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Missle, in general I think RGB is sharper than component video. I haven't compared the two on the Sharp, however.

Regards,
Q
post #7 of 8 Old 05-09-2002, 07:36 PM

And, if I use such a cable to connect the Skyworth RGB output to the Sharp #2 input, would the screen sizes work like they do for the S-video and component inputs -- in other words, can I get widescreen mode? It sounds like this would be the best solution, since I am not going to build an HTPC any time soon.

Yes you would get widescreen mode since you can now choose from "Stretch", "Smart Stretch", or "Cinema Zoom" to achieve full resolution. This of course scales the picture (sinces DVDs are 720 x 480) but and it isl better than S-video on the Sharp.

Just to check, is a "breakout cable" a cable with a 15-pin connector on one end and the Y-B-R-HD-VD connectors on the other"?

Yes that is correct.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-11-2002, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

I got a breakout RGB-to-BNC cable and some BNC-to-RCA adapters. I now have the Skyworth connected to the Sharp input #2 via a 15-meter double-shielded RGB cable, the very short (about 1 foot) breakout cable, and the BNC-to-RCA adapter plugs. I have set input #2 to receive an RGB signal in the Sharp onscreen menu.

The picture I get turns out extremely, unacceptably dark, although colors are accurate with respect to tint. There is also a weird dark horizontal band about two-thirds of the way up the screen.

However, when I used the RGB cable to connect to the PC input on the Sharp, the picture, while 4x3, was perfect in terms of brightness and color. Could there be some reason why the Sharp doesn't "like" my current setup with the breakout cable and the Skyworth?

Desperate for a solution,
Q
Closed Thread Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page