Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 42 Old 05-02-2012, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Black View Post

Ron, thanks for all your help. I just installed my Sony projector last night and I'm blown away! Right out of the box it has a fantastic picture, and 3D is great.

I had one other question however. I set up the system as you suggested...I bought the Panasonic 310 with the dual HDMI outputs. I bought a 25' high speed HDMI cable and connected it directly to the pj's HDMI 1 input. The other HDMI output from the Panasonic (HDMI-Sub) I connected to my Integra processor, along with the additional sources (PS3, HD DVD, etc). Then I used a standard HDMI cable from the Integra's output to the pj's HDMI 2 input.

Last night I kept trying to get audio out of the Panny unsuccessfully...it would display the video but the Integra would not recognize the sound. I kept changing the Panny's audio and HDMI settings trying to remedy the problem, but it would not ouput the sound. Later, I discovered when I switched to the pj's HDMI 2 input, the video disappeared but the audio was playing. So I ended up removing the standard HDMI cable from the Integra (which had been going to the projector's HDMI 2 input) and suddenly I had video and audio! 3D works perfectly and lossless sound is perfect, but I don't really feel like needing to fumble with removing and plugging in the HDMI cable every time I switch components. Is there something I'm missing here?

Why do you have two HDMI cables going to your projector? The Integra should be doing all of the video switching for you. You shouldn't need to use any other input on the projector except HDMI 1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 05-02-2012, 05:48 PM

Liked: 10
Because his Integra doesn't pass 3D, and he specifically said he wanted to use 3D. Hence also the recommendation to get a player with two HDMI outs.

-Christian
post #33 of 42 Old 05-03-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb42 View Post

Because his Integra doesn't pass 3D, and he specifically said he wanted to use 3D. Hence also the recommendation to get a player with two HDMI outs.

-Christian

I got that, but he said he connected two HDMI cables to his projector and that shouldn't be necessary.
post #34 of 42 Old 05-03-2012, 11:15 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DU3C3 View Post

I got that, but he said he connected two HDMI cables to his projector and that shouldn't be necessary.

Yes it is for what he is doing. One HDMI to the projector is from the 3D BD player, the second is from the Integra for all other video sources.
The 3D BD player has 2 HDMI outs to allow recievers that are HDMI 1.3 spec to process the HD sound via one HDMI cable while the other one goes directly to the 3D display.
post #35 of 42 Old 05-04-2012, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4mopar View Post

Yes it is for what he is doing. One HDMI to the projector is from the 3D BD player, the second is from the Integra for all other video sources.
The 3D BD player has 2 HDMI outs to allow recievers that are HDMI 1.3 spec to process the HD sound via one HDMI cable while the other one goes directly to the 3D display.

Exactly! And the problem is that when I use the 3D Panasonic player, the audio does not work unless I unplug the HDMI (Sub) from the Integra. Then both picture and sound work for 2D or 3D. But I intend on getting a harmony remote to control everything and I certainly don't want the need to plug and unplug a cable from behind the equipment rack whenever I want to switch from Blu-Ray to satellite receiver or HD-DVD player (not that I really use that anymore).

So does anybody know what I am doing wrong? Does the Sony pj have the capability of playing video from one input and audio from the other?
post #36 of 42 Old 05-04-2012, 08:52 AM

Yes, Yes, I got it now. I'm so used to hooking things up to a 1.4 capable receiver that I completely forgot you still need to get video from secondary sources to the projector. Sorry guys. One suggestion I would make would be to try swapping the cables going to the projector. So in other words try hooking up the BD player to HDMI 2 on the projector to see if that makes a difference. And you said you set the Panasonic to output audio only on the sub-HDMI port?
post #37 of 42 Old 05-04-2012, 09:23 AM

And back to the topic )) Need a 3D projector for my family room - money isn't the real issue, but why pay more than I need to?
Epson 5010 or 6010 obvious choice - as per Art's review. Should I even consider higher priced projectors (like Sony HW30AES) given the the light control is only mediocre?
post #38 of 42 Old 05-04-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 80
If you want the best 3D around then go for a DLP projector like the Benq W7000 or Acer HD9500BD. If you want really good 3D with really good 2D then look at the Epson 5010/6010 or Sony HW30. If 3D is important to you then be really careful if its not DLP. The Oppo 93 used to be the best 3D player around before the new downgraded firmware. It was like a flawless computer than would play just about any files you threw at it. Now its just a good BD player. I bought two before they ruined it and the old version is truly amazing!
post #39 of 42 Old 05-04-2012, 10:35 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Drop the Panasonic, look to the Epson 5010 or Sony hw30.
You could also consider the Acer9500bd, but the native on/off contrast is no match for the Epson or Sony, even though the Acer has an IRIS.

why drop the panny?
post #40 of 42 Old 05-04-2012, 11:59 AM

horrible ghosting stories from some owners. Don't want to take my chances even so I was a happy owner of their AE4000 for 2.5 years - till yesterday ))
post #41 of 42 Old 05-04-2012, 12:04 PM

5010 would only be 400-500$ less expensive - considering AVS pricing of Sony HW30AES. And for that extra money you graduate to LCoS - might be worse it?
post #42 of 42 Old 05-08-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

If you want the best 3D around then go for a DLP projector like the Benq W7000 or Acer HD9500BD. If you want really good 3D with really good 2D then look at the Epson 5010/6010 or Sony HW30. If 3D is important to you then be really careful if its not DLP. The Oppo 93 used to be the best 3D player around before the new downgraded firmware. It was like a flawless computer than would play just about any files you threw at it. Now its just a good BD player. I bought two before they ruined it and the old version is truly amazing!

All good points. I moved from a JVC RS40 to Epson 6010 and am happy with all-around performance. As for the Oppo, I have avoided any firmware updates since they removed ability to play ISOs. I'm now using AnyDVD HD to crate ISO files for BDs that no longer play on the Oppo (e.g., Hugo) and play them off the HDD instead. The Micca EP950 1080p 3D Digital Media Player is another option.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Sony Vpl Hw30es 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page