Looking for best 3D pj under $4000! Suggestions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 02-03-2012, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well my old Dwin CRT pj finally crapped out. I've been starting to research 3D projectors for my imminent replacement. Best Buy's Magnolia room has a Sony SX RD which I demoed last night. Quality looked good but it was on a pretty small screen...mine is 115" measured diagonally when opened to 4:3 ratio. The 3D glasses seemed to need a charge as they teetered between working and not, but I got the gist anyway.

Seems there are 3 manufacturers discussed most frequently on here...Sony, Panasonic and Epson. My main concerns are deep black levels and excellent 2D & 3D performance. I also have the Integra DTC 9.8 for lossless processing and I am hopeful I don't need to replace it. Also, if there are best sites for purchase that might include free accessories like extra glasses, exclusive 3D BD releases or such, I'd appreciate that info as well. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 02-03-2012, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Drop the Panasonic, look to the Epson 5010 or Sony hw30.
You could also consider the Acer9500bd, but the native on/off contrast is no match for the Epson or Sony, even though the Acer has an IRIS.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3 of 42 Old 02-03-2012, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Drop the Panasonic, look to the Epson 5010 or Sony hw30.
You could also consider the Acer9500bd, but the native on/off contrast is no match for the Epson or Sony, even though the Acer has an IRIS.

What are the best prices on the 2? Is the HW30 a newer model than the Sony SXRD? That's the model I saw at BB. Thanks.
post #4 of 42 Old 02-03-2012, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Black View Post

What are the best prices on the 2? Is the HW30 a newer model than the Sony SXRD? That's the model I saw at BB. Thanks.

The HW30 is an SXRD (LCoS). It is probably the same model that you saw at Best Buy. AVS will probably give you the best price.

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
post #5 of 42 Old 02-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Your Integra will not pass the 3-D signal. A way around that is a dual output Blu-Ray with a dedicated line to your projector. Hope you are able to easily have a second run. The other option is to go with a wireless set-up.
post #6 of 42 Old 02-03-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:

Give us a call and we can go over your options.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #7 of 42 Old 02-03-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpro View Post

Your Integra will not pass the 3-D signal. A way around that is a dual output Blu-Ray with a dedicated line to your projector. Hope you are able to easily have a second run. The other option is to go with a wireless set-up.

OK...and which Blu-Ray players do you recommend for such a set-up? A person at Magnolia told me that the Integra would work if it have multiple optical outs. Is this correct?
post #8 of 42 Old 02-03-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

OK...and which Blu-Ray players do you recommend for such a set-up? A person at Magnolia told me that the Integra would work if it have multiple optical outs. Is this correct?

Panasonic BDT-310. I use this in conjunction with my HDMI 1.3 Onkyo AVR. The Magnolia person doesn't know what they are talking about. You have to have an HDMI 1.4 AVR to pass 3d.

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
post #9 of 42 Old 02-03-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

What he is talking about is by-passing the Integra. You would have to run the HDMI directly from the 3D BD player to the projector and feed audio from the 3D BD player to the Integra using optical.

Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #10 of 42 Old 02-03-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Give us a call and we can go over your options.

Thanks. I will call next week.
post #11 of 42 Old 02-03-2012, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What he is talking about is by-passing the Integra. You would have to run the HDMI directly from the 3D BD player to the projector and feed audio from the 3D BD player to the Integra using optical.

Oh I see. I checked the Integra and it does seem to have the appropriate optical inputs and outs. But since I've been using the PS3 as my BD player on the system, and since it doesn't output lossless audio when used for 3D playback (I remember reading), I suppose the Toshiba player mentioned might fit the bill. Looks like a damn good player. Thanks for all the input. Any more helpful info, don't hesitate sending it my way!
post #12 of 42 Old 02-03-2012, 02:32 PM

I am also setting up a theater and wanted to go with a new 3D projector. Why did you say to drop the Panasonic? I've read many reviews and they all seem pretty good. Is the Epson or the Sony really much better?
post #13 of 42 Old 02-03-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
When looking for 3D under $4K, you will be looking for the least objectionable, not the best. Refresh rates tend to be inadequate and, hence, 3D suffers from ghosting and/or a lack of smoothness...not to mention challenges to brightness on larger size screens.
post #14 of 42 Old 02-03-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by srubenst View Post

i am also setting up a theater and wanted to go with a new 3d projector. Why did you say to drop the panasonic? I've read many reviews and they all seem pretty good. Is the epson or the sony really much better?

+1

Lowell

Panasonic AE7000

120" Screen

Def Tech PM65s X 2, CS8080, SR8080BP X 4

PSA XS30 X 2

Denon XS4000

Outlaw Audio 7125

post #15 of 42 Old 02-03-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I've seen the Panny and Epson, but not the Sony, and I own the JVC RS-45. Yes, the Epson is much better, did you guys look in the 3d comparison thread by Zombie in the 3k+ forums.

The Panny has the lowest native contrast, some issues with flickering lamps, and a much dimmer best mode. Hence to get those higher lumens on the Panasonic, you have to crank up the settings and go with a far more inaccurate image than the Sony or Epson.

The only reason to choose the Panasonic is if you are a gamer + need CIH. If not looking for the best 3D image and 2D being the big concern, you'll be hard pressed to beat a JVC RS-45 for movie viewing, but sounds like you guys are more concerned about 3D.

In 2D mode, the Epson has much better blacks than the Panasonic. The Sony hw30 is the best do-it-all projector without CIH, the Epson and JVC have gaming lag. The Sony is going to be a good choice for many.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #16 of 42 Old 02-04-2012, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I've seen the Panny and Epson, but not the Sony, and I own the JVC RS-45. Yes, the Epson is much better, did you guys look in the 3d comparison thread by Zombie in the 3k+ forums.

The Panny has the lowest native contrast, some issues with flickering lamps, and a much dimmer best mode. Hence to get those higher lumens on the Panasonic, you have to crank up the settings and go with a far more inaccurate image than the Sony or Epson.

The only reason to choose the Panasonic is if you are a gamer + need CIH. If not looking for the best 3D image and 2D being the big concern, you'll be hard pressed to beat a JVC RS-45 for movie viewing, but sounds like you guys are more concerned about 3D.

In 2D mode, the Epson has much better blacks than the Panasonic. The Sony hw30 is the best do-it-all projector without CIH, the Epson and JVC have gaming lag. The Sony is going to be a good choice for many.

Actually, if you have a 2.35:1 screen, you might like the Panasonic's automated CIH shift between 16X9 and CinemaScope. I do. For those who are bothered by projector noise, the Panasonic is much quieter than the Epson. I have not seen the Sony, so can't comment there.

Jim
post #17 of 42 Old 04-12-2012, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, I am ready to buy this pj now and I had a couple more questions.

I am planning on buying a 30' HDMI 1.4 cable and buying a 30' optical cable for the audio. I just want to verify that I will still be getting lossless audio from this set-up. Also, will I simply hook other sources such as satellite receiver directly to the pj and utilizing the same optical out to the Integra processor?

Also, I want to buy a region-free 3D BD player to replace the PS3 that I currently use. I have seen the Oppo, the LG BD 670, the Sony BDP-S470 and the Panny DMP-BDT300 as certain options. Does anybody have any input on the best performer / value of the group...or perhaps there are better options?

I also noticed when checking specs on these players that some have HDMI 1.3 and not 1.4. Which version do I need? I was under the impression I needed 1.4 for 3D playback.

Thanks as usual for the help.
post #18 of 42 Old 04-12-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:

Oh I see. I checked the Integra and it does seem to have the appropriate optical inputs and outs. But since I've been using the PS3 as my BD player on the system, and since it doesn't output lossless audio when used for 3D playback (I remember reading), I suppose the Toshiba player mentioned might fit the bill. Looks like a damn good player. Thanks for all the input. Any more helpful info, don't hesitate sending it my way!

The PS3 with the current firmware release (or any of the past few releases) does support lossless audio with 3D. However, remember that lossless audio is only available via the HDMI output (not optical) and you must also have an AVR that supports HDMI inputs and also supports the decoding of lossless audio (or uncompressed PCM multi-channel). The older PS3s (the so-called fat models) can only output the lossless audio in the form of uncompressed PCM (i.e., the decoding is being done within the PS3) while the newer PS3 Slim models can also support pass-thru of the Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD-MA formats via HDMI, for use when the AVR is capable of doing the decoding of the lessless audio. With older AVRs (lacking HDMI inputs) the only option for getting lossless HDMI is to get a Blu-ray player that has had the decoding of the lossless audio and provides multichannel analog audio outputs that can be connected to the AVR's 5.1 or 7.1 audio input (if the AVR supports this feature).

Since you Integra DTC 9.8 does support the lossless audio codecs and HDMI, but not HDMI 1.4a that is needed to support 3D video, your best bet would be to get the a Blu-ray player with dual HDMI outputs (instead of using your PS3). Such Blu-ray player include last year's Panasonic DMP-BT310 model or the current Panasonic model DMP-BT320 or the more expensive Oppo players DMP-93 or DMP-95. Such players with dual HDMI outputs have one output being HDMI 1.4a that is intended for connection to your 3D display/projector and the other HDMI output intended to be connected to your AVR (that generally has HDMI 1.3 inputs). You can find the above Panasonic players for under $200 while the Oppo players are around $500.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #19 of 42 Old 04-12-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

The PS3 with the current firmware release (or any of the past few releases) does support the lossless audio with 3D. However, remember that lossless audio is only available via the HDMI output (not optical) and you must also have an AVR that supports HDMI inputs and also supports the decoding of lossless audio (or uncompressed PCM multi-channel). The older PS3s (the so-called fat models) can only output the lossless audio in the form of uncompressed PCM (i.e., the decoding is being done within the PS3) while the newer PS3 Slim models can also support pass-thru of the Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD-MA formats via HDMI, for use when the AVR is capable of doing the decoding of the lessless audio. With older AVRs (lacking HDMI inputs) the only option for getting lossless HDMI is to get a Blu-ray player that has had the decoding of the lossless audio and provides multichannel analog audio outputs that can be connected to the AVR's 5.1 or 7.1 audio input (if the AVR supports this feature).

My Integra has HDMI inputs but not HDMI 1.3 or 1.4. So the optical method does not support the lossless audio...that was one of my concerns. So I WILL need to get a dual output Blu-Ray with a dedicated line to the projector in order to keep my existing processor?

Did you mean the PS3 won't output lossless through optical, or the optical from the pj to the Integra won't pass lossless as well?
post #20 of 42 Old 04-12-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

OK, I am ready to buy this pj now and I had a couple more questions.

I am planning on buying a 30' HDMI 1.4 cable and buying a 30' optical cable for the audio. I just want to verify that I will still be getting lossless audio from this set-up. Also, will I simply hook other sources such as satellite receiver directly to the pj and utilizing the same optical out to the Integra processor?

Also, I want to buy a region-free 3D BD player to replace the PS3 that I currently use. I have seen the Oppo, the LG BD 670, the Sony BDP-S470 and the Panny DMP-BDT300 as certain options. Does anybody have any input on the best performer / value of the group...or perhaps there are better options?

I also noticed when checking specs on these players that some have HDMI 1.3 and not 1.4. Which version do I need? I was under the impression I needed 1.4 for 3D playback.

Thanks as usual for the help.

When using optical for the audio, you will not get the new audio codecs. To get that using your 1.3/1.2 AVR, you need to buy a BD player with dual HDMI output. Send video to the projector and audio to the AVR. I would take a look at the Oppo BDP-93. It will do what you want. If we can help you with the decision process, give us a call.

post #21 of 42 Old 04-12-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

Did you mean the PS3 won't output lossless through optical, or the optical from the pj to the Integra won't pass lossless as well?

I'm not aware of any projectors that have optical audio outputs. HT projectors generally do not support audio at all.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #22 of 42 Old 04-12-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well my old Dwin CRT pj finally crapped out. I've been starting to research 3D projectors for my imminent replacement. Best Buy's Magnolia room has a Sony SX RD which I demoed last night. Quality looked good but it was on a pretty small screen...mine is 115" measured diagonally when opened to 4:3 ratio. The 3D glasses seemed to need a charge as they teetered between working and not, but I got the gist anyway.

Seems there are 3 manufacturers discussed most frequently on here...Sony, Panasonic and Epson. My main concerns are deep black levels and excellent 2D & 3D performance. I also have the Integra DTC 9.8 for lossless processing and I am hopeful I don't need to replace it. Also, if there are best sites for purchase that might include free accessories like extra glasses, exclusive 3D BD releases or such, I'd appreciate that info as well. Thanks in advance.

Quote:

My Integra has HDMI inputs but not HDMI 1.3 or 1.4. So the optical method does not support the lossless audio...that was one of my concerns. So I WILL need to get a dual output Blu-Ray with a dedicated line to the projector in order to keep my existing processor?

According to the specs for the Integra DTC-9.8 (you listed in Post #1 above as your pre-pro) that I found HERE, it shows it supports decoding of the lossless formats (i.e., Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD-MA) and another web site (HERE) lists it as having HDMI 1.3a inputs. Is this not correct or is your Intregra not a DTC-9.8 but actually an earlier model?

Ron Jones
post #23 of 42 Old 04-12-2012, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

According to the specs for the Integra DTC-9.8 (you listed in Post #1 above as your pre-pro) that I found HERE, it shows it supports decoding of the lossless formats (i.e., Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD-MA) and another web site (HERE) lists it as having HDMI 1.3a inputs. Is this not correct or is your Intregra not a DTC-9.8 but actually an earlier model?

No, that's my model--the DTC 9.8. I know it decodes lossless audio as I have been enjoying it for a couple of years since I bought it. I'm just looking for help on what I need to purchase in order to get both 3D and lossless audio using the Sony projector I am buying while keeping the same processor. I didn't know the PS3 now sends lossless audio as well as 3D...I thought it could do either or. But I DO have interest in a region-free 3D player so I'm not restricted to the US releases only.

I'm not nearly as tech-savvy as folks on here. What exact type of HDMI cable do I need to link the projector with my processor and the BD player? I have seen HDMI 1.4a, HDMI 1.4b, and you have stated my processor uses HDMI 1.3a. So what do I need to buy to get this to work?
post #24 of 42 Old 04-12-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, that's my model--the DTC 9.8. I know it decodes lossless audio as I have been enjoying it for a couple of years since I bought it. I'm just looking for help on what I need to purchase in order to get both 3D and lossless audio using the Sony projector I am buying while keeping the same processor. I didn't know the PS3 now sends lossless audio as well as 3D...I thought it could do either or. But I DO have interest in a region-free 3D player so I'm not restricted to the US releases only.

I'm not nearly as tech-savvy as folks on here. What exact type of HDMI cable do I need to link the projector with my processor and the BD player? I have seen HDMI 1.4a, HDMI 1.4b, and you have stated my processor uses HDMI 1.3a. So what do I need to buy to get this to work?

As per my earlier comment, one of the Panasonic or Oppo Blu-ray players that supports 3D and equipped with two HDMI outputs would let you send the lossless audio to your DTC 9.8 from one HDMI output and also send the 3D (or 2D) video from the other HDMI output directly to your projector. That is what these dual HDMI output players are being sold for (i.e., to accommodate an older HDMI 1.3 equipped AVR and a HDMI 1.4 equipped TV). Region free players are not officially legal for sale in the USA but a few models have been hacked/hardware modified (usually by overseas sellers). A quick google search will find dealers selling region free modified versions of these Panasonic and Oppo players, but at prices 2x to 3x times the usually selling price of the standard model.

As for HDMI cables, under the current HDMI certification standard, there is no such thing as HDMI 1.4 (or 1.4a or 1.4b) cables. HDMI cables are either rated as "high speed" or not (i.e., standard speed). What you need is to use HDMI "high speed" rated cables. The best source of good quality HDMI cable at a very reasonable price is www.monoprice.com. For longer cables (e.g. 15 ft. or longer) look for their cables using 22 AWG (gauge) wire (the smaller the number for the AWG, the thicker the wire conductors which generally results in less signal loss).

Ron Jones
post #25 of 42 Old 04-12-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Bob:

It may help to narrow down your choices in Blu Ray players that will meet all your needs if we knew the budget you have for this item. The kneejerk reaction is to say the cheapest I can get away with...but that puts all the burden on the person responding to do the research for you. So please let us know what you want to spend and I'm sure we can come up with a short list for you to consider.

Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #26 of 42 Old 04-12-2012, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As per my earlier comment, one of the Panasonic or Oppo Blu-ray players that supports 3D and equipped with two HDMI outputs would let you send the lossless audio to your DTC 9.8 from one HDMI output and also send the 3D (or 2D) video from the other HDMI output directly to your projector. That is what these dual HDMI output players are being sold for (i.e., to accommodate an older HDMI 1.3 equipped AVR and a HDMI 1.4 equipped TV). Region free players are not officially legal for sale in the USA but a few models have been hacked/hardware modified (usually by overseas sellers). A quick google search will find dealers selling region free modified versions of these Panasonic and Oppo players, but at prices 2x to 3x times the usually selling price of the standard model.

As for HDMI cables, under the current HDMI certification standard, there is no such thing as HDMI 1.4 (or 1.4a or 1.4b) cables. HDMI cables are either rated as "high speed" or not (i.e., standard speed). What you need is to use HDMI "high speed" rated cables. The best source of good quality HDMI cable at a very reasonable price is www.monoprice.com. For longer cables (e.g. 15 ft. or longer) look for their cables using 22 AWG (gauge) wire (the smaller the number for the AWG, the thicker the wire conductors which generally results in less signal loss).

Thanks a bunch for all the info. It's much appreciated.

My only other question was how I hook up additional sources such as the satellite receiver? Do I need to run a separate HDMI cable to the pj for each additional source?
post #27 of 42 Old 04-12-2012, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

Bob:

It may help to narrow down your choices in Blu Ray players that will meet all your needs if we knew the budget you have for this item. The kneejerk reaction is to say the cheapest I can get away with...but that puts all the burden on the person responding to do the research for you. So please let us know what you want to spend and I'm sure we can come up with a short list for you to consider.

Ron

I found a few selling at discounted prices of around $350. I don't mind spending that but I'd be reluctant to spend more.
post #28 of 42 Old 04-12-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks a bunch for all the info. It's much appreciated.

My only other question was how I hook up additional sources such as the satellite receiver? Do I need to run a separate HDMI cable to the pj for each additional source?

If your other sources are 2D-only then connect all of them to your Intrega's HDMI input then connect the Integra's HDMI output to one of the projector's HDMI inputs (most projectors have 2 HDMI inputs). Then connect the Blu-ray 3D player's HDMI video output directly to the other HDMI input on the projector.

If you have a Directv HD receiver or DVR -or- a HD cable TV box that does support 3D channels then you could take the HDMI output from all of your 3D sources (ie., including the Blu-ray player) and connect them to a new HDMI switch that can support 3D (these are sold by monoprice.com) then connect the output of that HDMI switch to one of the projector's HDMI inputs. The audio from the Directv or cable box could be connected via either optical or digital coax (depending on what your specific Directv or cable box supports) to your Integra (your Integra has 3 optical and 3 coax digital audio inputs according to its spec. sheet) and this will work OK since none of these other (other than Blu-ray) sources support lossless audio in any case. The lossless audio for Blu-ray would be accomplished by using the Blu-ray player's 2nd HDMI output and connecting this to an HDMI input on the Integra. If you decide to go this route and need to purchase a HDMI switch, below is a link for a low cost HDMI switch that should work:

- Basic 4 input HDMI switch with remote that supports 3D

If you don't already have one, you may want to get a Harmony remote control so you can program it to handle all of the switching of the inputs/outputs of the Integra, projector, HDMI switch, and video sources.

Ron Jones
post #29 of 42 Old 04-12-2012, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If your other sources are 2D-only then connect all of them to your Intrega's HDMI input then connect the Integra's HDMI output to one of the projector's HDMI inputs (most projectors have 2 HDMI inputs). Then connect the Blu-ray 3D player's HDMI video output directly to the other HDMI input on the projector.

If you have a Directv HD receiver or DVR -or- a HD cable TV box that does support 3D channels then you could take the HDMI output from all of your 3D sources (ie., including the Blu-ray player) and connect them to a new HDMI switch that can support 3D (these are sold by monoprice.com) then connect the output of that HDMI switch to one of the projector's HDMI inputs. The audio from the Directv or cable box could be connected via either optical or digital coax (depending on what your specific Directv or cable box supports) to your Integra (your Integra has 3 optical and 3 coax digital audio inputs according to its spec. sheet) and this will work OK since none of these other (other than Blu-ray) sources support lossless audio in any case. The lossless audio for Blu-ray would be accomplished by using the Blu-ray player's 2nd HDMI output and connecting this to an HDMI input on the Integra. If you decide to go this route and need to purchase a HDMI switch, below is a link for a low cost HDMI switch that should work:

- Basic 4 input HDMI switch with remote that supports 3D

If you don't already have one, you may want to get a Harmony remote control so you can program it to handle all of the switching of the inputs/outputs of the Integra, projector, HDMI switch, and video sources.

Thanks again Ron. I truly appreciate the help.
post #30 of 42 Old 05-02-2012, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The PS3 with the current firmware release (or any of the past few releases) does support lossless audio with 3D. However, remember that lossless audio is only available via the HDMI output (not optical) and you must also have an AVR that supports HDMI inputs and also supports the decoding of lossless audio (or uncompressed PCM multi-channel). The older PS3s (the so-called fat models) can only output the lossless audio in the form of uncompressed PCM (i.e., the decoding is being done within the PS3) while the newer PS3 Slim models can also support pass-thru of the Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD-MA formats via HDMI, for use when the AVR is capable of doing the decoding of the lessless audio. With older AVRs (lacking HDMI inputs) the only option for getting lossless HDMI is to get a Blu-ray player that has had the decoding of the lossless audio and provides multichannel analog audio outputs that can be connected to the AVR's 5.1 or 7.1 audio input (if the AVR supports this feature).

Since you Integra DTC 9.8 does support the lossless audio codecs and HDMI, but not HDMI 1.4a that is needed to support 3D video, your best bet would be to get the a Blu-ray player with dual HDMI outputs (instead of using your PS3). Such Blu-ray player include last year's Panasonic DMP-BT310 model or the current Panasonic model DMP-BT320 or the more expensive Oppo players DMP-93 or DMP-95. Such players with dual HDMI outputs have one output being HDMI 1.4a that is intended for connection to your 3D display/projector and the other HDMI output intended to be connected to your AVR (that generally has HDMI 1.3 inputs). You can find the above Panasonic players for under $200 while the Oppo players are around $500.

Ron, thanks for all your help. I just installed my Sony projector last night and I'm blown away! Right out of the box it has a fantastic picture, and 3D is great.

I had one other question however. I set up the system as you suggested...I bought the Panasonic 310 with the dual HDMI outputs. I bought a 25' high speed HDMI cable and connected it directly to the pj's HDMI 1 input. The other HDMI output from the Panasonic (HDMI-Sub) I connected to my Integra processor, along with the additional sources (PS3, HD DVD, etc). Then I used a standard HDMI cable from the Integra's output to the pj's HDMI 2 input.

Last night I kept trying to get audio out of the Panny unsuccessfully...it would display the video but the Integra would not recognize the sound. I kept changing the Panny's audio and HDMI settings trying to remedy the problem, but it would not ouput the sound. Later, I discovered when I switched to the pj's HDMI 2 input, the video disappeared but the audio was playing. So I ended up removing the standard HDMI cable from the Integra (which had been going to the projector's HDMI 2 input) and suddenly I had video and audio! 3D works perfectly and lossless sound is perfect, but I don't really feel like needing to fumble with removing and plugging in the HDMI cable every time I switch components. Is there something I'm missing here?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Sony Vpl Hw30es 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page