Possible Epson 5010 issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-04-2012, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
Jugdish69

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I searched both this and the low end projector forum and couldn't find an answer so I started a new thread. My issue is that I took delivery of both an Epson 5010 and and Epson 8350. The 8350 is a great projector for the price minus poor black level. Putting the 5010 up, the black level is stellar. My issue is that I cannot get the picture to be as sharp and crisp as the 8350. I don't know if my 5010 has an issue, but I've tried all of the sharpening menu items as well as fine tuning the focus. I know pixel alignment is possible, but I don't know how to do that, and I'd be stunned if a projector that cost twice as much has issues out of the box vs. an 8350. Any help is appreciated.

Who's your daddy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-04-2012, 03:37 PM
WynsWrld98
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Lack of sharpness with all sources (BluRay and DVR)? I am a new 6010 owner looks very sharp on BluRay right out of box but soft on a lot of HD off my Dish HD DVR. My theory is DVR is outputting 1080I to projector but BluRay 1080p plus higher quality signal is reason. I had to get into advanced part of sharpness menu then got DVR looking really good.

If you go into Convergence part of menu you can bring up a convergence pattern to check convergence.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-04-2012, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
Jugdish69

what do I need to look for to check convergence? I can't find anything on that subject!

Who's your daddy?
post #4 of 7 Old 02-04-2012, 07:15 PM
WynsWrld98
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugdish69 View Post

what do I need to look for to check convergence? I can't find anything on that subject!

Manual in PDF form accessible on Epson website. I believe Convergence is in one of the Advanced menu items (not at home to check). So lack of sharpness with all sources? Did you play around with all settings in Advanced Sharpness menu item?
post #5 of 7 Old 02-04-2012, 07:35 PM
FreyTheater

Liked: 19
Are you using any lens shift? I saw someone in one of the Panny 7000 threads complaining that they were having sharpness issues when using the higher settings of lens shift, with no lens shift it was fine. Could this model have a similar issue, perhaps?

FEEL an awesome 3D Blu-ray movie in the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Now with projection in glorious "FREYMAX" 3D!

post #6 of 7 Old 03-24-2013, 09:12 AM
nanochow

I have a similar problem with significant lack of sharpness of my 5010 when compared to my 8700ub. The LCD convergence adjustment helped a little, but in order to get an acceptable sharpness, I had to peg all the settings to high in the advance sharpness setting (the "standard" sharpness menu was still too soft), and turn up the "super resolution" setting to at least 3 (out of 5). The problem with these settings is that when used to try to improve the softness of a computer source (ala PC/MAC), you really notice the significant amount of artifact noise from these settings along straight edges like text and window lines. My guess is that the signal processing in the 5010 does not allow for a bit to bit mapping with a digital source, resulting in an always processed and less than ideal picture. -- Maybe Epson will be able to address this someday via firmware.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-24-2013, 01:09 PM
Xank

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanochow View Post

My guess is that the signal processing in the 5010 does not allow for a bit to bit mapping with a digital source, resulting in an always processed and less than ideal picture. -- Maybe Epson will be able to address this someday via firmware.

As long as you send the projector a supported resolution, of course it will display it 1:1, pixel for pixel. Make sure you have zeroed out overscan settings on both the computer and the projector, and disengage any keystone correction as well. Btw, virtually all sources today are "digital sources". If you plugged it in using HDMI, it's digital.

Also, you should not need to use any amount of Sharpness settings or detail creation (whatever Epson's name is for it) in order to see clearly defined pixels if you are looking closely at the screen. This is especially the case on the Epson since it has a fairly pronounced screen door effect.

Sharpness and detail creation are video processing techniques intended to enhance perceived sharpness in the overall picture at normal viewing distances. They cannot enhance actual optical sharpness.

You also need to make sure you have zeroed out the physical yaw, pitch, and roll of your projector. Meaning, make sure it is aligned with your screen and not tilted or rotated in any axis. Placement errors can very easily make it difficult to impossible to focus your picture properly.

If all of the above check out, and the focus ring still will not allow you to achieve reasonably well defined visible pixels, then there is a defect in the optical elements.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page