Anyone know where I can get a print wiring diagram for a JVC RS40? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-08-2012, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a broke JVC RS40 off ebay and lost the gamble. The seller liquidator sounded like it might just be a broke light engine door or a bad lamp. I got the projector yesterday and I'm afraid its going to be more than that. I feel like a big loser today.

Anyway, before I conclude that I wasted my $700 I'd like to at least get a wiring diagram and attempt to troubleshoot the beast. Right now it wont even power up the lamp or fans and you would think something that obvious could be taken care of.

But first I need some kind of print.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-09-2012, 06:25 AM
WTS
AVS Special Member

What you need is a service manual. Call JVC and order one.

Walter
post #3 of 7 Old 02-09-2012, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just checked with JVC and they want $50 for a wiring diagram! I can still remember a time when GE televisions used to put the wiring schematic right inside the tv or appliance back in the old days. A free schematic for the serviceman! That was back when service was important to a manufacturer I guess.

Do I want to throw away another $50 on this thing? I'm not so sure about that. At least with the projector itself I can junk out the parts and recoup some of the investment.

Bob
post #4 of 7 Old 02-09-2012, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just tore the thing apart to see how it layed out. Apparently the main power supply feeds another box which feeds the lamp. I saw that voltage was getting to the lamp power supply so I decided to take the lamp out and hook it up with jump wires direct to the lamp power supply. When I did low and behold the lamp started lighting and fans started to run. But all is still not good because the lamp goes out shortly after the fans start up. The normal sequence is that first the lamp starts glowing a soft blue and then it appears current is cranked up steadily for a couple seconds. During that time the lamp goes from blue to bright white and then the lamp fan starts up. Then the lamp goes out and the fan continues to run in cool down mode.

The lamp power supply is obviously monitoring the bulb because if I unplug the bulb completely I get no fans at all. When I look into the bulb it appears clear without any burn or other abnormality. And the bulb appears very bright for no longer than it is on. But I am still wondering if the feedbock going back to the bulb power supply may be shutting things down.

Bob
post #5 of 7 Old 02-09-2012, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know, (short of replacing a lamp) if there is any way to know for certain whether the lamp is bad or not?

Another words can a bad lamp shut the projector down completely or will it just put out a very dim picture?

Bob
post #6 of 7 Old 02-09-2012, 03:45 PM
WTS
AVS Special Member

$50 for a service isn't too bad, I paid $35 for one for my HW30. Not having a SM you might do more damage than good unless you know your way around.

Yes the old TVs used to have it pasted in the back of the set or on the back cover, but in those days they weren't too complicated compared to what you have in your hands now.

Walter
post #7 of 7 Old 02-10-2012, 11:48 AM

I'm sure this is obvious but perhaps a service center may be able to fix your problem and you'd still be under the asking price of a new unit so it wouldn't be a total loss.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page