post #721 of 768 Old 07-29-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradius2 View Post

To me, that IS streaming, even if you can download to 1TB HDD (should already be 2TB at least) by FTP or other means, to watch it after.

It might be understood as the streaming to you, but not to anybody else.
Streaming is when you can start a player or a PC or a TV and immediately to watch a movie. Then internet speeds matter a lot.

Downloading the complete movie before you can see it, as in the Redray player or the Sony 4K "cookiebox", internet speeds are not crucial, as it just takes longer to download if you have a slow line.
Normally you will then pre-order the movie and it will download at a time you have set when you are not using your internet line to maximise speed.
So you will not need a 20Mb/s internet connection.
The playback bitrate speed for 4K content from the RedRay player will normally be of content that is encoded at 18Mb/s, but you can also encode at 36Mb/s and 9Mb/s.

It is good to differentiate the two methods to avoid confusion, like claims that you need a 20Mb/s internet connection to use the player.

1TB with the Redray encoded material in 4K holds about 100 hours of movie content.

JerryW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 768 Old 07-30-2013, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
We already have 35Mbps connection here (and isn't expensive), so to me and a lot more (on 35Mbps) IS streaming. cool.gif

I consider recording to HDD as "buffer" as I don't believe you'll be able to perform a lifetime playback, I'm pretty sure they will charge you once per week or month to keep it, unless of course, they add a buying option.

But while this thing isn't on the road... working on real world... all this is just speculation.

[]s,
Fernando
post #723 of 768 Old 07-30-2013, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Itunes lets you rent movies too, and no one calls that streaming.

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
post #724 of 768 Old 07-31-2013, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
If you are downloading a file, data etc and "saving" it to your "device" for current or future playback that IS NOT streaming.

Streaming, by definition is where by "progressive download" you are playing the file while its downloading/streaming to your device yet it is not saved/stored on the device.. AKA the likes of Netflix, VUDU, Amazon Prime, Pandora etc-etc, all where you can only watch and or listen to the file while streaming it from the provider. It does not reside on your "player" during or after use etc..

I would not consider the REDRAY to be a streaming device either given what little one has to read about it - you have to save/load the applicable file format on the REDRAY HD prior to playback.
It could very well turn into one however..

Cheers

Love DIY
post #725 of 768 Old 08-01-2013, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

If you are downloading a file, data etc and "saving" it to your "device" for current or future playback that IS NOT streaming.

Streaming, by definition is where by "progressive download" you are playing the file while its downloading/streaming to your device yet it is not saved/stored on the device.. AKA the likes of Netflix, VUDU, Amazon Prime, Pandora etc-etc, all where you can only watch and or listen to the file while streaming it from the provider. It does not reside on your "player" during or after use etc..

I would not consider the REDRAY to be a streaming device either given what little one has to read about it - you have to save/load the applicable file format on the REDRAY HD prior to playback.
It could very well turn into one however..

Cheers
Precisely. And one important factor for 'streaming' is a live internet connection. You can't watch a 'stream' without the internet connection because it has not been downloaded to some media storage, it is 'streaming' live.

The Red and Sony devices DO download the files to the players. You can then play the movie any time you wish (although depending on how they implement it. The player may have to get an access key online first).

Max
post #726 of 768 Old 08-02-2013, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Odemax (beta) is Live.

post #727 of 768 Old 08-02-2013, 05:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 318
And the Red product page says orders for Redrays placed today will ship in 2 to 3 weeks. What do you suppose that means with respect to orders placed in December and still not shipped?

How does one tell on the Odemax page what resolution each piece of content is? Where is the info on content pricing. Can anyone sign up now?.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #728 of 768 Old 08-02-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

And the Red product page says orders for Redrays placed today will ship in 2 to 3 weeks. What do you suppose that means with respect to orders placed in December and still not shipped?

How does one tell on the Odemax page what resolution each piece of content is? Where is the info on content pricing. Can anyone sign up now?.

I don't know if it is a fact that orders placed in December and not shipped. I have seen some post about it long time ago, but no confirmation that the poster didn't get them after they posted.
If you had taken shipment of your player then you could have been a quality witness. wink.gif
I have been rather surprised of the lack of test results and feedback from owners of the RedRay player over at Reduser.

Red started manufacturing of the player in November last year, so they should have had a huge storage of them by now, unless they have "given away" a huge number of them, or restricted delivery to a number of people they know so as to have some kind of "beta testing" closed circle.

If the delivery time now is 2-3 weeks, what will happen when all these workers start the Epic Dragon sensor upgrade in September?

There is a "log in" button on Odemax. But maybe you need a RedRay player.

As for pricing; yes I would have liked to know that before I fork out nearly $2K for a player. It should have been obvious.

I also am is surprised that there isn't any emphasis on free content. There are so much reels and commercials from major brands that is shot in 4K, and which they could have gotten for free.
Much of that material has the type of quality that would make it perfect for HT demo material.

I was very surprised of the lack of information on the Odemax page for everything from technical information on each movie, longer bios of the directors and extended information on how Odemax really works.
Like why not try drumming up some excitements for the brand. rolleyes.gif

Odemax has had so many months to fill their pages with things that would help to sell the brand (and the RedRay player), but this "minimalistic approach" makes me undecided if they are just lazy or maybe clueless about marketing.

I also react on the low resolution on some of the "poster pictures" for some of the movies, looks like extra low resolution images that has been up-converted. Doesn't give much confidence of the image quality of the movie the picture is supposed to promote.
Examples;
http://odemax.com/channel/lookup?id=49
or this when page expands to display the image full size; http://odemax.com/channel/lookup?id=57
Technical design of the Internet page should induce some confidence in their technical ability.

They promise "big-budget-blockbusters" in the future and I think it is a mistake to not include at least some taste of that in this first release presentation, with a couple of known features even if they are not exactly "big-budget-blockbusters".
Because now I don't know if that is just hopes and dreams or wishful thinking by Odemax.

As marketing people, the Odemax guys fail on all accounts.

But still it is probably the best technical 4K material that can be had in any home theatre at the moment.

post #729 of 768 Old 08-02-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I was told by Red that my order would not be considered cancelled and that they would give me an opportunity to accept or decline before charging my card. They asked for and offered this option, I did not request it.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #730 of 768 Old 08-02-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was told by Red that my order would not be considered cancelled and that they would give me an opportunity to accept or decline before charging my card. They asked for and offered this option, I did not request it.
I know.
So will you accept?
post #731 of 768 Old 08-02-2013, 08:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 344
I looked through the site early this morning and I agree. From what little they post about the movies, I would not know if I wanted to watch it or not. Not that I am their target market, I do not have a 4K projector yet.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #732 of 768 Old 08-02-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well actually you are their target market. Its a distribution channel for Indy movies. Hopefully someday new releases will be shot and mastered in 4K (actually the shooting is often higher than 4K). The Redray player can upscale or downscale so the real issue is whether you want the content and not really (yuk yuk) the inadequacies of your display. The problem with those sources which are 4K is how well they are mastered or the post work done on them much of which is on for many 50 inch Seiko 4K monitors and not on large screen 4K projectors.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #733 of 768 Old 08-02-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The problem with those sources which are 4K is how well they are mastered or the post work done on them much of which is on for many 50 inch Seiko 4K monitors and not on large screen 4K projectors.
You should really stop spreading that FUD about people using the Seiki UHD TVs for crucial grading.
When you have seen people being enthusiastic about the Seiki, it is because they now can have a 4K monitor on their home desk editing suit for the first time ever for under $700-$1500.

That is great for checking anomalies in their personal footage for their pet projects and avoid such things as oversharpening their 4K material and clean VFX work.
The Seiki's are quite good when it comes to color when they are professional calibrated, which we have seen reports from one owner that brought in a professional who earn a living calibrating Hollywood post facilities.

You also save a lot of time in unfunded personal projects when you do grading in Resolve color grading suit and can build the grading nodes beforehand at home, which takes some time, before you eventually take it to a professional suit and do the final touches before mastering. Saves you a lot of time=money.

Example of Timescapes which Tom did on his own money over two years of shooting.
He edited it at home on his own built PC.
But when it came to color grading and mastering, he took it to Lightiron in Hollywood and had their color grader finish the movie on Lightiron's Barco 4K projector.

I don't see any reason why you should continue spreading derogatory remarks about these guys. They do the best they can with limited funds for their personal projects and have a network of friends and colleges with whom they can call in for favours.
If you have a camera with 4K++ resolution and a PC and a calibrated Monitor, you can finish 99% of the work on your little movie. What matters most is talent anyway.

I would trust many of these guys that do personal projects to be more meticulously invested in creating good image quality than many of the big studios, which we repeatedly see with BD releases that are often lacking in image quality.
At least the big studios have no excuse for sub-par products because they have access to all the best equipment.

post #734 of 768 Old 08-02-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Its not derogatory. Its a limitation of the present chain available to many of the Indys and whether they perceive a need based on large screen critical observation of their work on such. Joe Kane has been going out in the field to attempt to educate on the need for large screen mastering for 4K. Initial 4K stuff has not been real good but the industry is learning just as it had to for 2K. for the Indy's things will show I suspect marked improvement when affordable 4K projectors become available. I support and admire the Indy's but I am not politically required as some others feel they are not to be critical of inadequacies in the chain for many. Having the right chain doesn't mean it will initially be done right even by Sony as evident on its preloaded stuff. But it will shortly come. Patience is needed and so is understanding. Thanks for sharing.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #735 of 768 Old 08-02-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Its not derogatory. Its a limitation of the present chain available to many of the Indys and whether they perceive a need based on large screen critical observation of their work on such.
It is degratory in the way you have sneaked it into almost every post about Odemax and Redray lately, like some sarcastic snideremark to give the negativ impression that all the 4K material from the indie film makers are done on these Seiki TVs.
And that is something you have just based on that five or six guys have bought them for their home editing suit.

That's what I wanted to point out with my previous post.
Quote:
Joe Kane has been going out in the field to attempt to educate on the need for large screen mastering for 4K. Initial 4K stuff has not been real good but the industry is learning just as it had to for 2K. for the Indy's things will show I suspect marked improvement when affordable 4K projectors become available. I support and admire the Indy's but I am not politically required as some others feel they are not to be critical of inadequacies in the chain for many. Having the right chain doesn't mean it will initially be done right even by Sony as evident on its preloaded stuff. But it will shortly come. Patience is needed and so is understanding. Thanks for sharing.

I don't know why you think Sony will do much better with their 4K material in the future than now. They have had time enough to do it right already. Sony has been releasing 4K features since 2008.

It is a problem that there are no affordable 4K DLP projectors for the smaller color grading suits. It is something everybody knows. Lcos is no good for important post work because it has too blurred pixel structure that will hide more than reveal normalities and artefacts.

But when one part of the industry doesn't follow up by providing usable tools (Texas Instruments DLP) and/or overcharge for better flat panel displays (the usual suspects Japanese and Korean CEM) then one have to do with what is available and affordable for the moment.
Film making has always been "inventing solutions when we go along" type of craft.

Joe Kane isn't the guy I would use as source when it comes to 4K, he has said too much strange things lately regarding 4K, but he is right about the need to use big screens for important work. But that is nothing new, as the same goes for 2K.

The most important part of 4K image quality happens when the image is captured, not in post if you don't purposefully or incompetently screw up.
If it is done on a high enough resolution sensor you should see the quality improvement regardless if it is displayed in 2K or 4K if everything is done right.

You can work on it on a 2K monitor, and if that looks good, nothing negative will happen to it if you render it out in 4K.
It is not crucial to see it in 4K first.

2K from a 2K camera or scan on the other hand is much more important to examine for artefacts before it is mastered.
This has to do with the fact that 2K is a too low resolution to really function well, needs much more extra electronic sharpening and easily produces artefacts.

post #736 of 768 Old 08-03-2013, 12:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

It is degratory in the way you have sneaked it into almost every post about Odemax and Redray lately, like some sarcastic snideremark to give the negativ impression that all the 4K material from the indie film makers are done on these Seiki TVs.
And that is something you have just based on that five or six guys have bought them for their home editing suit.

If I posted Good nights Mrs, Calabash wherever you are in every post it would not be derogatory. If one is critical of a sports team in every discussion saying that they say need better pitching, that would not be derogatory either. Obviously you feel I am charging a windmill here and from your post that may be so and you do make good points but charging a windmill is not a derogatory action by the charger. Your post is derogatory because I don't sneak, like you I am rather in your face. smile.gif

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #737 of 768 Old 08-03-2013, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Comments by people who've seen the pj in action have been very encouraging, to say the least.thanks 10.gif
post #738 of 768 Old 08-03-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by donglihu View Post

Comments by people who've seen the pj in action have been very encouraging, to say the least.thanks 10.gif

Actually I've read several comments, probably from more critical viewers (such as the ones that post here), saying the black levels and contrast ratio were not very good when Red demo'ed their projector a couple times in 2012, including at the NAB show in May 2012.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #739 of 768 Old 08-03-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

At this point, there is no finished product and whenever it is finished and brought to market we will all have a chance to see. Red has many Church members who will buy nothing else than a Red product. There is a belief that Red can do everything the best and for the cheapest and some even have foolishly stated that only Red can bring out a projector suitable for the cinema environment and that purchasing anything else would be a waste of money. Something close to that. Brazen statements for a product that doesn't exist except in prototype experimental form. I would bet that Red has improved it since 2012. If it comes to market, whatever its limitations or weak points will be mostly glossed over by the Red community. Some will be critical but will accept the limitations as inevitable. Red will have made the correct compromises. Remember in the pro theater world, contrast is not that important. They do not live in a world of HT machine like contrasts. Its probably and relatively what we would call low levels are high levels in that world.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #740 of 768 Old 08-03-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

Actually I've read several comments, probably from more critical viewers (such as the ones that post here), saying the black levels and contrast ratio were not very good when Red demo'ed their projector a couple times in 2012, including at the NAB show in May 2012.

Over in the Red forum, I said that if the Red laser couldn't beat my Epson 6010 in terms of contrast and ghosting performance, I'd have no incentive to make the switch. Although I rarely visit their forum, I quickly began to suspect that the criteria we use here on AVS to judge a projector's performance are not the most important performance criteria for Red users. Ultimately, I'll have to see the Red laser for myself anyway. I'm not making a purchase of that magnitude, only to be disappointed in the contrast and black level, or its 3D performance. Reluctantly, I've given up the notion that the Red laser will probably be my next projector.

Joe Clark

post #741 of 768 Old 08-03-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I think we haven't yet seen close to the final product so I really can't even make a tentative judgment. All that seems to count for most on the Red forum that Red make their next or even their first projector, Red can do no wrong other than announce things prematurely which most there are willing to forgive.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #742 of 768 Old 08-28-2013, 05:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It is now September, and except for a small initial batch, the Redray player has not shipped, even to most who ordered on the first day of preorder in December, 2012. The preorder price has increased from $1350 to a new order price of $1750. When I called this week, I was told another three weeks. It will be interesting to see what Red shows at Cedia. I suspect the Redray, maybe a proto of a cheaper version of the Redray and maybe they will show some incarnation of a 4K projector coming whenever.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #743 of 768 Old 08-28-2013, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

It is now September, and except for a small initial batch, the Redray player has not shipped, even to most who ordered on the first day of preorder in December, 2012. The preorder price has increased from $1350 to a new order price of $1750. When I called this wek, I was told another three weeks. It will be interesting to see what Red shows at Cedia. I suspect the Redray, maybe a proto of a cheaper version of the Redray and maybe they will show some incarnation of a 4K projector coming whenever.

Red is telling current new orders and has posted on their web page Order now for 2 to 3 weeks delivery"
post #744 of 768 Old 08-28-2013, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Over in the Red forum, I said that if the Red laser couldn't beat my Epson 6010 in terms of contrast and ghosting performance, I'd have no incentive to make the switch. Although I rarely visit their forum, I quickly began to suspect that the criteria we use here on AVS to judge a projector's performance are not the most important performance criteria for Red users. Ultimately, I'll have to see the Red laser for myself anyway. I'm not making a purchase of that magnitude, only to be disappointed in the contrast and black level, or its 3D performance. Reluctantly, I've given up the notion that the Red laser will probably be my next projector.

And could a new laser projector be anything less tha 4K ? I don't remember anything stated about 4K
post #745 of 768 Old 08-28-2013, 08:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post

Red is telling current new orders and has posted on their web page Order now for 2 to 3 weeks delivery"

Several weeks ago their store said 2 to 3 weeks for new orders. They are still saying exactly the same. They didn't make 3 weeks for new orders or ship any of the existing preorders. I think they are still working out software bugs.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #746 of 768 Old 08-28-2013, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post

And could a new laser projector be anything less tha 4K ? I don't remember anything stated about 4K

Any Red projector will be 4K. Their cameras are 4K plus and their Redray player is 4K. The issue is the laser technology. My guess is that if they show something t Cedia it might be phosphor lit by laser based. If its a true laser, it will still be a long way off.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #747 of 768 Old 08-29-2013, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Mark it is believed that Red bought out HDI3d. They had a working prototype which I saw about 2-3 years ago. It does use a true 3 laser system. It was a 2 chip LCOS system.
post #748 of 768 Old 08-29-2013, 06:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I know they demoed a one off remote true laser. That means nothing about whether they could bring it to market. The costs of a remote optically connected true RGB laser is very high and I would be amazed if Red could bring it to market at the consumer level affordability even absent retail markups because they only sell direct. Commercial units might be possible at say $70K or so. There still would be speckle issues.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #749 of 768 Old 08-29-2013, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

I know they demoed a one off remote true laser. That means nothing about whether they could bring it to market. The costs of a remote optically connected true RGB laser is very high and I would be amazed if Red could bring it to market at the consumer level affordability even absent retail markups because they only sell direct. Commercial units might be possible at say $70K or so. There still would be speckle issues.

I agree, and if I remember correctly the HDI3d projector where going to start at $55,000

Here is one of the original Articles.

http://gizmodo.com/5829512/hdis-3d-projectors-have-no-business-looking-as-good-as-they-do/
post #750 of 768 Old 08-29-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

RED has several times said that they will bring out the larger Cinema projector first, called CRIMSON.
So the delay might be as much because of the FDA laser rules as anything else, and that they just use the waiting time to refine the projector.

Because of the limited staff at RED and the more important development of the new Dragon camera sensor, they might have taken some of the engineering resources from the projector program and used them on the Dragon.
Not long ago Jarred said that the heavy part of the Dragon development was concluded and engineering resources could now go back to their other tasks.

Red is now entering "a new period" according to Jarred.

Jannard is taking a step back to a less visible and active position in the daily running of the company.
Ted Schilowitz, that has been with the company from the beginning seven years ago and has been the spokes person for Red, travelling the world and educating people about Red, and responsible for the Reducation courses is leaving Red.

I just hope that they have several interesting news to reveal in connection with IBC and at their booth at Cedia, preferably non camera product news. wink.gif
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page