RED 4K 3D laser projector = $10K - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 768 Old 04-16-2012, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sounds like a typo, might have been a 24' screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 768 Old 04-16-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

According to Red, they have a unique self developed 3D system.

What can you say but "of course" if this is true. Good lord! All of this from a visionary guy who created his first fortune from selling innovative, great sunglasses. And who happened to like cameras a lot most of his life......
post #183 of 768 Old 04-16-2012, 11:34 AM

Liked: 12
In an interview with Post Magazine at NAB 2012, Ted Schilowitz of Red said unconfidently, the projector will be available by the end of the year...
post #184 of 768 Old 04-16-2012, 11:49 AM

did anyone notice that the Laser engine is completely separate from the projector? look through the pictures and you will see.

http://www.engadget.com/photos/redra...es-on/#4965722
post #185 of 768 Old 04-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

did anyone notice that the Laser engine is completely separate from the projector? look through the pictures and you will see.

I don't see it. Which pictures?
I see a separate red ray unit, which is the 4k player, not the laser, at least I think so.

BTW that engadget article refera to the projector as the "Red Ray, the 4k cinema laser projector", or something to that effect, but I think red ray JUST refers to the 4k player, not the projector. I wonder how accurate that engadget stuff is.

Scott Stephens
post #186 of 768 Old 04-16-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcguire525 View Post

http://www.engadget.com/photos/redra...es-on/#4965722

What you see in one of the pictures is the Redray professional player (for rack mounting) on top of the projector.
Red launched both a player and a projector that has a Redray playback module inside.
The Redray professional standalone player is a more heavy duty player that can playback Red RAW files without encoding and compress them to the Redray R3D format first.

There will later be released a Redray playback player for HT, for 4K playback to displays and projectors from other brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstephen View Post

I see a separate red ray unit, which is the 4k player, not the laser, at least I think so.

BTW that engadget article refera to the projector as the "Red Ray, the 4k cinema laser projector", or something to that effect, but I think red ray JUST refers to the 4k player, not the projector. I wonder how accurate that engadget stuff is.

It is named The Red Ray Laser Projector. It has a Red Ray playback module inside. So Engadget is right.
post #187 of 768 Old 04-16-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

Yes, Resolution is very important, but it is even worse if a low resolution camera is not even able to resolve its native resolution.

Same lens (Leica) two cameras non sharpened images. Think of what wil happend if you start to sharpen the left image. Then you will understand where lot of artefacts comes from.

Guess which is RED and which is Alexa.

A DP's responsibility is not only to choose the tool for creating "pretty images" for a project, but also to deliver the best image fidelity for the audience.

Today and for some time in the future, that is 4K.

If all DP's continue to shoot projects on 2 Megapixel cameras, then it will be a very long time before we will see any meaningful amount of 4K material.

To push for the highest fidelity is the DP's responsibility, if he choose not to do this by pushing for the use of the best tools he fails the responsibility to the audience.

No 2K or 3K camera is able to resolve the full 2K pixel resolution.

Shooting in 4K now will end up costing less in the long run as well. They'll be able to milk that extra resolution more easily for a longer period of time than relying on extra features or extended versions alone.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a...
post #188 of 768 Old 04-16-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

dolby/infitec 3d system can not work with a laser pr. the way the build it now.

to work you need 2 differten blue laser
2 different green laser and
2 different red laser.

no pr. manufacturer have this kind of 2 different wave length laser per color at this time.
post #189 of 768 Old 04-16-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:

If you look at the 9th picture the redray player is sitting on top of a laser projection system box with r b g indicators, this box doesn't look like the projector itself, maybe I'm wrong but it looks like the laser engine
post #190 of 768 Old 04-16-2012, 01:11 PM
amt

I wonder if that 10K price is without a lens. I could see a proper lens adding another 5-10K
post #191 of 768 Old 04-16-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Added brightness can be added, this projector is becoming unreal
post #192 of 768 Old 04-16-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I hope that someone can confirm that RED was showing a projector projecting on a screen and not a monitor sized screen.

Still no clue on the technology?
RED could at least say what it is not.
We need more info.

Also I wonder what Sony is showing together with Laser Light Engines?

Mattias Ohlson
post #193 of 768 Old 04-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

If you look at the 9th picture the redray player is sitting on top of a laser projection system box with r b g indicators, this box doesn't look like the projector itself, maybe I'm wrong but it looks like the laser engine

I believer you are right. There seems to be fiber optic inputs in the back of the projector for each laser color, RGB. I wonder if this just for the demo, or if this will make it into the production model? That laser module looks huge! I read on the forums that these will be modular and you could purchase higher powered lasers for larger screens. I figured it was some type of module that would be replaced internally.

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Paradigm PS-1200 Sub
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________Polk bookshelf for Surrounds
post #194 of 768 Old 04-16-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
As far as I'm concerned, if the light engine is separate and connects to the PJ with fiber optics, that's great news. That would mean that what's likely to be the largest heat source (and therefore the thing with the noisiest fan) would be able to be located somewhere other than in my theater room. The only question would be: how big is the fiber optic connector, and will it fit through the conduit I have in place? :-)

If anybody can find out some info on what type of 3D system is being used and whether it will work on "normal" screens, that would really be great. I just bought the screen for my theater -- a Screen Research ClearPix2, so I'm not planning on changing screens anytime soon.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #195 of 768 Old 04-16-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcguire525

I believer you are right. There seems to be fiber optic inputs in the back of the projector for each laser color, RGB. I wonder if this just for the demo, or if this will make it into the production model? That laser module looks huge! I read on the forums that these will be modular and you could purchase higher powered lasers for larger screens. I figured it was some type of module that would be replaced internally.

Yes it is quite possible you guys are right that the projector has a separate laser module. Make sense in the way that the module can be stashed away to hide noise from the cooling system.

But the eventual fiber connectors seems fragile.
And what happens with the polarization of the light when it pass through fiber optics?
Read somewhere that that was not ideal. Think that was the reason Kodak decided to have the lasers inside the projector.

On the other hand; Sony announced separate laser modules for projectors some years ago.
post #196 of 768 Old 04-16-2012, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by amt View Post

I wonder if that 10K price is without a lens. I could see a proper lens adding another 5-10K

I doubt it, when they quote "Under $10k for 15' screen"

That probably means with a certain module and lens you can do a max 15' screen.

Which for a 4k projector with 3d is nothing to sneeze at..

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #197 of 768 Old 04-16-2012, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike View Post

As far as I'm concerned, if the light engine is separate and connects to the PJ with fiber optics, that's great news. That would mean that what's likely to be the largest heat source (and therefore the thing with the noisiest fan) would be able to be located somewhere other than in my theater room. The only question would be: how big is the fiber optic connector, and will it fit through the conduit I have in place? :-)

If anybody can find out some info on what type of 3D system is being used and whether it will work on "normal" screens, that would really be great. I just bought the screen for my theater -- a Screen Research ClearPix2, so I'm not planning on changing screens anytime soon.

AFAIK laser projectors work best on normal screens. Less texture the better (less Speckle).
Silver screens are absolutely no good for laser?
post #198 of 768 Old 04-16-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalfx View Post

Are you kidding? Have you seen GWDT in a 4K Cinema?
It was shot with Red One. The Epic has a 5K sensor and a 6K upgrade was just announced.

This isnt a consumer grade projector, its designed for pros shooting 4K.

okay, i shoot and work with red cameras daily, i have seen a majority of red films in digital 4k. apparently you can tell anything about a film just by looking at it in the theater! your eyes must process the projected image and turn it into a raw file which your cyborg mac pro brain then analyses and tells you exactly what the fidelity of the image is.

the sensor does not really resolve 4k (http://magazine.creativecow.net/arti...ture-of-pixels). look at the file, you will see I am correct and the industry is well aware of this. thats why the newer cameras are resolving 4k by downsampling larger resolutions. its the reasons the alexa and the red have almost the same latitude, ahem, DR (seen the alexa do a little better). Alexa achieves true HD by downsampling from a 3.5k sensor.Just because your iPhone shoots 1080p doesn't mean it's actually 1080p when you get down to it. most cameras don't really resolve their advertised rez. it's fun to watch them play the numbers game and it keeps things interesting.
post #199 of 768 Old 04-16-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

guys.... if it was true that the demo was a only 24" screen and only a 2k 3d material we can stop the discussion right now.

if this is true this pr. is far away from sales.

seems lens is on top of the pr. price so count not 10k count at least 18k$.

i hope its a typo bug in the engadget report but if this is true red shoud better not show anyting.

may they have to vibrat the screen to solve the speckle issue from laser.
but 24" is not any screen size that have any problem with vibrate screen but a 5 meter screen will have problems.
no wonder people see this small picture in a to big distance call it sharp.
a 24" picture in 96" distance you can only see ntsc resolution.
i wonder how close the visitors can be to the 24" screen.
during i write this i sit at my computer monitor that has a bigger size than the red demo

all in all very strange........not what i have hope for if the reports are true.
post #200 of 768 Old 04-16-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Mayer View Post

guys.... if it was true that the demo was a only 24" screen and only a 2k 3d material we can stop the discussion right now.

Very true, can we please confirm that the "screen" used was really only 24"?
I would be shocked if Red was putting on such an embarassing demo.
post #201 of 768 Old 04-16-2012, 02:45 PM

Jarred Land
Fire Chief

The laser is modular. Replace the projector head. Replace the Laser engine. Replace the RedRay player. It even has a RED MOUNT to replace the lenses.

You just add Laser boxes to go up in brightness or go up in size... modular.
post #202 of 768 Old 04-16-2012, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Twitpic from inside the screening room. Part of the screen on the left. Sure doesn't look like 24''...http://instagr.am/p/JfJ76xwW8l/
post #203 of 768 Old 04-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

I found this old article from Dec. 8th of 2011 that speaks of the first public demo of the projector. According to the article it was being projected onto a 40 foot screen. This article is five months old, but if they are using a 40 foot screen then, it just seems silly to use a 24 inch screen today. They might as well be showing off a pocket projector with 720p res at that size...

http://www.slashgear.com/red-4k-proj...demo-08200854/

post #204 of 768 Old 04-16-2012, 03:03 PM

Looks like it will be polarized 3d These glasses just don't look to have enough reflection to be anything other than polarized

post #205 of 768 Old 04-16-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Looks like it will be polarized 3d These glasses just don't look to have enough reflection to be anything other than polarized

That would make me sad.

On the other hand, looking at that twitpic that shows a bit of the screen, it doesn't look all that silver to me. Hard to tell from the picture, though.

I hope we'll get some real information about this machine soon. If anybody is at NAB, please, please, info on the glasses, and if you can get close enough to tell, is the machine quiet like you'd want in a home, or noisy like a typical commercial/industrial projector?

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)

post #206 of 768 Old 04-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

I bet these are the glasses they are using.
http://ca.oakley.com/products/6629/24782

post #207 of 768 Old 04-16-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal_Sunshine View Post

Twitpic from inside the screening room. Part of the screen on the left. Sure doesn't look like 24''...http://instagr.am/p/JfJ76xwW8l/

thats not looks like a 24" screen

very nice thats what i like to hear.
hope we can see more pictures from the setup and more reports from people that saw it.
post #208 of 768 Old 04-16-2012, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Bummer. I'd HATE to have to swap out my huge Studiotek130 for a silver screen. I can't stand visible screen sparklies or coating (and my ST130 just barely passes the muster for that).

BTW, I find it surprising there hasn't been more info coming out today from people who saw the demo, given the frothing-at-the-mouth for info many have had over
this projector.

Rich H

post #209 of 768 Old 04-16-2012, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
So, before today we knew it was a 4k 3d laser based projector slated to go for < 10k. 2 pages of posts later we know it is a 4k 3d laser based projector slated to go for < 10k

Scott Stephens
post #210 of 768 Old 04-16-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:

So, before today we knew it was a 4k 3d laser based projector slated to go for < 10k. 2 pages of posts later we know it is a 4k 3d laser based projector slated to go for < 10k

And that it does simultaneous L/R 3D, is upgradable, and most likely is polarized
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page