JVC RS55/X70 or Panasonic PT-AE7000U - What should I buy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-26-2012, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys,

Pretty much a projector noob, and am hurting my brain trying to figure out what's the better projector to buy. Looking at both owner threads, everyone has small issues with each one, but on a whole both are loved by those who own them. The reviews across the board are stellar.

I know both of these projectors are different technologies, and one is double the price, but is the JVC actually worth the extra dough? That's what I'm trying to figure out. However, I can't seem to get a simple straight answer as to if D-ILA technology is actually superior to LCD (or vice versa).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Best,
Van
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanexel711 View Post

Hi Guys,

Pretty much a projector noob, and am hurting my brain trying to figure out what's the better projector to buy. Looking at both owner threads, everyone has small issues with each one, but on a whole both are loved by those who own them. The reviews across the board are stellar.

I know both of these projectors are different technologies, and one is double the price, but is the JVC actually worth the extra dough? That's what I'm trying to figure out. However, I can't seem to get a simple straight answer as to if D-ILA technology is actually superior to LCD (or vice versa).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Best,
Van

The JVC in 2D..... Case closed. The Panasonic may be better in 3D according to some users, but for most non highly discriminating viewers the 3D on the JVC will be fine. For 2D the JVC is in another league. For competitive online gaming the Panny will have an advantage in lower lag time....whether the JVC lag time would bother you is somewhat personal.

There are no simple straight answers with PJ's. Depends upon your uses. If you are a gamer, and also really want 3D to be close to perfect...then the Panny. If you want the best 2D picture around today for under 10 000 bucks.....the JVC. I would also consider the JVC X30. Many of the benefits of the JVC 55.....and you will save a couple grand to upgrade in 2-4 years!!!

My recommendation is not to get the JVC 55....why? Because spending more than 3k on a PJ is stupid IMHO. The tech changes so fast and gets better and cheaper....that buying a 3k PJ now and a 3K PJ in 4 years will make you much happier than buying one 6K PJ today. But if money is not an issue, then get the JVC 55 for 2D reasons. If it is gaming and 3D as well.....get the Panny. Also keep in mind that if you are new to PJ's.....any of these will blow your socks off!!!
Old 02-26-2012, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

Hi gamelover360,

Thanks for the fast response. It helped a great deal.

Yeah, the 2D is the main selling point for me. Which makes my decision even tougher after reading your reply!

I game moderately, but really have no interest in 3D (although I've never had a great 3D set up, so that may change if I did).

Is the 2D that much greater between the JVC and the Panny? If not, I might just go Panny, and then use the extra cash to get a better screen and an Oppo Blu Ray player.

Also, you didn't mention the 4k e-shift technology in your reply. Is that really irrelevant where 2D is concerned?
Old 02-26-2012, 02:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
E-shift is only relevant if you sit close enough to the screen relative to it's size to see the pixel structure of the X30/RS45. If you dont there is no point in paying more for the X70/RS55.

2D performance of the JVC's is well ahead of the competition in a dark viewing environmnet.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
If you are a projector noob, I see no reason to get the RS55 over the RS45. Honestly you will probably not even notice the difference between the two unless they were sitting side by side and someone pointed out the difference to you. The RS45 is an incredible 2d projector that should not be overlooked only because of its lower price. It is not at all an entry level projector, yet the asking price is very reasonable. I briefly owned it's virtually identical predecessor, the RS40. It is a very nice projector with a 2d image that cannot be beat in many respects. However, the 3d on it is unsatisfactory and that's the only reason I no longer own it.

Personally I don't think that the Panasonic is in the same class as the RS45. Just a few years ago, people would have killed to get a JVC for the same price as the budget Panasonic.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi gamelover360,

Thanks for the fast response. It helped a great deal.

Yeah, the 2D is the main selling point for me. Which makes my decision even tougher after reading your reply!

I game moderately, but really have no interest in 3D (although I've never had a great 3D set up, so that may change if I did).

Is the 2D that much greater between the JVC and the Panny? If not, I might just go Panny, and then use the extra cash to get a better screen and an Oppo Blu Ray player.

Also, you didn't mention the 4k e-shift technology in your reply. Is that really irrelevant where 2D is concerned?

I would say the panny or the JVC x30 and the extra cash is the smart move for you. Decide between the Panny and the X30 based upon gaming lag and 3D. Overall the Panny is the more balanced overall PJ, but if 2D is the primary concern I would consider the x3o despite its shortcomings.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I'd actually say that the Epson 5010 is probably the most balanced pj in its class. It is arguably better than the Panasonic in 2D, better than the JVC in 3d, and brighter than both of them, especially in 3d.

Your uncertainty about 3d is really the determining factor here. I would not rule out 3d though because you just might love it, along with your guests. Unfortunately you really have no idea how much you may like 3d until you watch it on a projector.

From what I've read, it sounds like the Epson 5010 is the safest bet for someone who doesn't really know what they want as it will satisfy the majority of people in both 2d and 3d.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I have owned many projectors over the past two years. I think the Epson 5010 is the better balanced projector. I had the Panasonic ae4000 which is similar 2D to the Panasonic 7000. I owned the JVC RS40 which is similar to the RS45 and now I owned the RS55. I would not choose the Panasonic over the JVC for 2D at all. I probably would not choose it at all. It depends on what you watch more. If its basically blu rays, I say get the JVC. I would try to find the best deal on the Espon or JVC. It should be under $2700. Also, what screen are you using?
Old 02-26-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I second getting either the JVC X30/RS45 or an Epson 5010. I have the JVC RS40 and still love it and will wait till next year's model or even the year after that to upgrade. The reviews of the Epson 5010 have been very good and it might be a good balance for gaming, 3D, and movies. I watch 100% 2D movies on my RS40 and it is fantastic.

Mike

WTB: DPI Cine LED 1000 projector
Old 02-26-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

For me a PJ without motorized zoom and lens shift is a deal breaker. I have a 2.35:1 screen, so I am constantly changing aspect.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Just keep in mind that after the exchange window with the JVC dealer has ended, you have to deal with JVC directly, which their customer service is not the greatest.
Also, I believe you have to pay for shipping.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post21686969

Old 02-26-2012, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for the informed responses.

After reading all of your posts, and looking at some more reviews, I think I totally overlooked just how great the RS45/X30 would be for my current needs. I think that's what I'm going to go with.

Just so everyone knows, I'm upgrading from a 50" Sony SXRD XBR1 Rear-Projection television :-). Should be a pretty big difference, I imagine.

A couple more questions:

1. I live on the west coast (Los Angeles). Are there any reputable dealers to purchase the JVC from in the area?

2. Screen-wise, I'm not sure what I'm going to get. I'm assuming the choice of screen is more dependent upon the environment, than the projector itself. I don't want to pollute this thread with off-topic questions, but is that assumption correct?

3. Are there any calibration tools/accessories I should purchase for this particular projector? If this is a better question for the owners thread, I'll just post there.

Thanks,
Van
Old 02-26-2012, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Epson is a good first projector. Looking at the discussion boards, JVC seems to leave a lot desired in terms of customer service. Epson also has a good deal of lens shift and range, in case you need installation flexibility. See if projectors are right for you, with a relatively low cost and easy to use Epson. In a couple of years, you can upgrade to a better projector.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 150
@Vanaxel711

You can buy it from the forum sponsor, AVS, that is how most of us got our JVC's. Do note that some JVC's may be experiencing fast lamp dimming, personally I would not use my JVC for gaming due to this issue alone. I always own at least 2 projectors, a cheaper one for gaming and non-exciting movies, and the JVC for those special films that need the contrast.

If considering a second projector for gaming, the best sub $1100 projectors for gaming are the Mits hc4000 DLP or Viewsonic Pro8200.

2) Most of us would recommend a DA-Lite High Power 2.4 gain screen for the JVC, several benefits, it makes the image brighter, but it depends on your room and your goals. The HP (High Power) screen is not necessarily the best screen for large viewing parties since off-axis of center the screen will be less bright. The Da-Lite HP screen works best in either a near-bat cave or a bat cave. If you have a lot of room reflections or any ambient light, then a POSITIVE gain gray screen is the way to go.

3) You can get a Disney WOW disc or for free download the AVS HD Rec709 disc and burn it to a DVD (does not require a bluray burner to play in your bluray player). The next step beyond this is buying a calibration meter, the eye-one LT is the cheapest at around $120, the eye-one Display 2 is the next one up, and the eye-one Display 3 is a bit better for around $300.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Old 02-26-2012, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Great idea, Coderguy! With the extra money I've saving, I may be able to get a secondary projector for games specifically.

Re: the screen, thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately, the theater room will suffer from some ambient light, so the positive gain gray screen is probably the way to go. Does Da-Lite make those as well, or is there a specific brand/model you'd recommend?
Old 02-26-2012, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great idea, Coderguy! With the extra money I've saving, I may be able to get a secondary projector for games specifically.

Re: the screen, thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately, the theater room will suffer from some ambient light, so the positive gain gray screen is probably the way to go. Does Da-Lite make those as well, or is there a specific brand/model you'd recommend?

I have a JVC and I use a 720p Acer that I got for $400. Unless I'm watching high quality material, the Acer does a good job with the other stuff. Plus, its bright and good with video games, and it does 3D.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
I have a Sony 95 so I don't need an Acer. The Sony is bright, has fantastic contrast, is quite good for 3D, great with sports and motion and gaming, has cheap bulbs, and is very close to the RS55 for 2D 24p quality. And it's a bit cheaper as well.

... just sayin'. There are other alternatives.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Dave View Post

I have a Sony 95 so I don't need an Acer. The Sony is bright, has fantastic contrast, is quite good for 3D, great with sports and motion and gaming, has cheap bulbs, and is very close to the RS55 for 2D 24p quality. And it's a bit cheaper as well.

... just sayin'. There are other alternatives.

I don't have another cheap projector because my RS55 sucks. Family and friends are constantly over my place, so I would not want to run my main projector 8 hours a day. I rather have my nephew watch his cartoons on my cheap projector that last 5000 hrs, than on my $8k projector. Or let my brothers and my friends play COD for 8 hours on my Acer. I tried to do everything on my Panny before and around 1500hrs, my blu rays did look as good. And that was after 5 months. I have already accumulated 500hrs on my Acer and 150hrs on my JVC in 2.5 months. Yes, my JVC is 50x better than my Acer, but I don't need to constantly buy bulbs to prove that. Even if I had the Sony 95, I would not want to buy 3 bulbs a year to keep my PQ at its best.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 150
The Mits hc4000 can hang with the JVC in brighter scenes that do not need high On/Off contrast, and in some ways it will even look better in some stuff, but it isn't as bright. The Viewsonic Pro8200 is a bit noisier than the Mits and more inconsistent and cannot quite hang in bright scenes unless the scene is extremely clean and very contrasty. Anything below the Viewsonic (say 720p), I cannot use those projectors because I am too used to 1080p and the extra sharpness that goes with it for HTPC use. The Viewsonic would be my minimum alternate for quality, but that is just me so not saying everyone has to go that route.

The Benq w1200 is good too, but massive gaming lag. Other than the Mits hc4000, you'd have to spend a lot more to get a really awesome secondary gaming projector, since I do not consider LCD to be as good at gaming, lag or no lag. The Optoma hd33 would be the next one, but then that one also isn't as good as the Mits overall, but of course it is 3D. There is the Acer9500bd and the Benq w6000, those are getting a tad bit expensive for alternate projectors.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Old 02-27-2012, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

I don't have another cheap projector because my RS55 sucks. Family and friends are constantly over my place, so I would not want to run my main projector 8 hours a day. I rather have my nephew watch his cartoons on my cheap projector that last 5000 hrs, than on my $8k projector. Or let my brothers and my friends play COD for 8 hours on my Acer. I tried to do everything on my Panny before and around 1500hrs, my blu rays did look as good. And that was after 5 months. I have already accumulated 500hrs on my Acer and 150hrs on my JVC in 2.5 months. Yes, my JVC is 50x better than my Acer, but I don't need to constantly buy bulbs to prove that. Even if I had the Sony 95, I would not want to buy 3 bulbs a year to keep my PQ at its best.

I never said it sucked - it's the best 2d 24p projector in it's class. But I wouldn't recommend it to someone that wants to do gaming and sports viewing (or 3D or FI). That was my point - you can get a projector that does all that well, and also has cheap, long-lasting bulbs.

Different problems merit different solutions.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Dave View Post

I never said it sucked - it's the best 2d 24p projector in it's class. But I wouldn't recommend it to someone that wants to do gaming and sports viewing (or 3D or FI). That was my point - you can get a projector that does all that well, and also has cheap, long-lasting bulbs.

Different problems merit different solutions.

The OP stated that he was going to go with a secondary projector after deciding to save with an under $3000 unit. Coderguy suggested a 1080p machine that's $800, which is a good deal. I suggested a $400 720p unit with longer lamp life with added 3D. I have had over 10 projectors over the past 3 years and a 720p projector is not as bad as some thing, even tho my Acer will be gone in 4-6 months. I still enjoy the little thing. The Sony is a lot better than both units by far, but since he decided to save, I thing its the best budget solution. Also, it depends on screen size. I would not use it over 100in if he is going to do more than gaming on it.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all your help. Looks like I have a bit of research in front of me.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
I just installed a 7000 and of course have played a lot with the RS55. As you said, each has pros and cons...price being a big pro of the Panny. Overall, the JVC kills it. In fact if the price was closer I think Panny would have trouble. There were parts of the Panny I liked better, but on a whole not as much. 3D is a tad better for the discerning viewer, but my general view on 3D is that even if one is a die hard fan, how many movies have it vs. 2D? Not many proportionally. One can only watch any movie so often, so to put more value in 3D over 2D doesn't make a lot of sense...

Of course you could also close the price gap with the RS45... Not a giant different with the RS55 and still outperforms the Panny on a whole (my opinion I realize, but it was in a direct comparison).

Jason C. Turk
Technical Support, Customer Service, Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
Direct Line: 585-645-1004
Email: jason@avscience.com

Don't forget my nearly 13,000 posts under my old ID!

Old 02-29-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 3 View Post

I just installed a 7000 and of course have played a lot with the RS55. As you said, each has pros and cons...price being a big pro of the Panny. Overall, the JVC kills it. In fact if the price was closer I think Panny would have trouble. There were parts of the Panny I liked better, but on a whole not as much. 3D is a tad better for the discerning viewer, but my general view on 3D is that even if one is a die hard fan, how many movies have it vs. 2D? Not many proportionally. One can only watch any movie so often, so to put more value in 3D over 2D doesn't make a lot of sense...

Of course you could also close the price gap with the RS45... Not a giant different with the RS55 and still outperforms the Panny on a whole (my opinion I realize, but it was in a direct comparison).

I agree with you on 3D. Seems like everyone wants to make their choice based on 3D
Old 02-29-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yeah for sure. 3D is pretty cool, but when you think about it there are few movies relative to 2D, and those movies are usually not the type one would watch repeatedly. Not to mention the types of movies themselves and not such that "critical" becomes an issue... To each his own, but I think so many get caught up in the excitement and from experience it is one of those things that wears off after you own it a while...

Jason C. Turk
A/V Science, Inc.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 3 View Post

Yeah for sure. 3D is pretty cool, but when you think about it there are few movies relative to 2D, and those movies are usually not the type one would watch repeatedly. Not to mention the types of movies themselves and not such that "critical" becomes an issue... To each his own, but I think so many get caught up in the excitement and from experience it is one of those things that wears off after you own it a while...

I think if it was more available and brighter. I get about 5-10 blu rays a month from blockbuster for $20. If I really like the movie, I can buy it online for $10. With 3D blu rays, they have the option to get a selective few but the wait is so long, and is it really worth buying it for $20-40 to watch it once or twice? I think 3D is still too few, and I wonder if 4K material will be the same. I hope not, because I really want to see what it can do
Old 02-29-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Indeed...supply is partly the issue. Again, it should definitely be weighed into a decision, especially if a person does want it. But the value placed on that, vs. other parameters that may be equally if not more important, seems to be a little skewed all too often, especially considering the amount it realistically can be used...

Jason C. Turk
A/V Science, Inc.