Jvc bulb life? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 02-27-2012, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wondering if more experienced users can tell me if Jvc pjs bulbs go dimmer faster in comparison to the other competitors. I'm not talking about the make of the bulb, just the pj in general compared to other brands. Because I hear a lot of complaints about the Jvc going dim pretty quickly and I know you have to clean the prism regularly. Your thoughts? Thx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-27-2012, 02:24 PM

We have 2 different RS50 that go dim after about 450-550 hours. JVC just sent replacment lamps for both of them to see if this resolves the issue. One of these already had a lamp replaced once. To be continued.....
post #3 of 17 Old 02-28-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine0 View Post

I was wondering if more experienced users can tell me if Jvc pjs bulbs go dimmer faster in comparison to the other competitors. I'm not talking about the make of the bulb, just the pj in general compared to other brands. Because I hear a lot of complaints about the Jvc going dim pretty quickly and I know you have to clean the prism regularly. Your thoughts? Thx!

I don't think it's necessarily a historical trend associated with the JVC brand, but the current generation from JVC does seem to have a higher than average problem with bulb life.

I'd chalk that up to "these particular projectors, which happen to be from JVC", more so than "JVC in general".

Which PJs are you interested in?
post #4 of 17 Old 02-29-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
First thing to know is ALL lamps dim. How fast depends greatly on a lot of factors, including lamp type, viewing habits, room conditions, maker of lamp, etc...

The RS40/50/60 series did have reported "quicker" dimming. Note, that is a new lamp and new supplier, not really a function of JVC themselves (they became aware of it same time as we all did but at that time it was done). It is not a for sure occurrence, though there are a greater percentage of those who have found it on that series.

On the plus side JVC is doing their best to help resolve, especially with those will more excessive circumstances.

Jason C. Turk
Technical Support, Customer Service, Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
Direct Line: 585-645-1004
Email: jason@avscience.com

Don't forget my nearly 13,000 posts under my old ID!

post #5 of 17 Old 03-01-2012, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagg View Post

I don't think it's necessarily a historical trend associated with the JVC brand, but the current generation from JVC does seem to have a higher than average problem with bulb life.

I'd chalk that up to "these particular projectors, which happen to be from JVC", more so than "JVC in general".

Which PJs are you interested in?

I'm looking at the JVC RS10/HD350.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-02-2012, 06:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine0 View Post

As another said, no this is not a specific issue with JVC. The RS40/50/60 series had a bulb supplier that seemed to have a higher percentage of early dimming/failures. It really had nothing to do with the projector...JVC doesn't make the lamps. And I will mention that it is not a for sure situation, merely a higher percentage than the "norm".

Previous versions did very well...RS10/20, RS15/25/35, RS1/2, etc... It is something that was a concern, but in my opinion it should not be weighed all that heavily at this point.

Jason C. Turk
A/V Science, Inc.

post #7 of 17 Old 03-02-2012, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

I guess with the HD350, most owners have a lamp life of about 1000hrs before it's gets a bit too dark. Pretty short in comparison to other pjs. But then again, the lamp is only rated at a low 2000hrs to begin with.
post #8 of 17 Old 03-02-2012, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
One of the reasons why I went back and forth from JVC to Sony is the cost of lamp replacement. Ultimately I stay w/ JVC due to its crt-black that Sony cannot match, though the latter has a slightly better color balance.

Pick your own poison.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-05-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post

One of the reasons why I went back and forth from JVC to Sony is the cost of lamp replacement. Ultimately I stay w/ JVC due to its crt-black that Sony cannot match, though the latter has a slightly better color balance.

Pick your own poison.

That is true. What one person values another may not... There is no perfect projector for everyone.

Jason C. Turk
A/V Science, Inc.

post #10 of 17 Old 03-08-2012, 08:36 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 3 View Post

As another said, no this is not a specific issue with JVC. The RS40/50/60 series had a bulb supplier that seemed to have a higher percentage of early dimming/failures. It really had nothing to do with the projector...JVC doesn't make the lamps. And I will mention that it is not a for sure situation, merely a higher percentage than the "norm".

Previous versions did very well...RS10/20, RS15/25/35, RS1/2, etc... It is something that was a concern, but in my opinion it should not be weighed all that heavily at this point.

Do the newer jvc models (rs45/55/65) use the same bulb? What exactly are the measures that jvc took to avoid the problem this year (if you have any inside info)?
Thanks in advance!
post #11 of 17 Old 03-08-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loggeo View Post

Do the newer jvc models (rs45/55/65) use the same bulb? What exactly are the measures that jvc took to avoid the problem this year (if you have any inside info)?
Thanks in advance!

The RS45/55/65 bulb is backwards compatible with the RS40/50/60. JVC "unofficially" said that they fixed the issue with the new bulb, but it's still probably too early to tell.

There have been some indications of early dimming on the new generation owners thread though, which doesn't sound like good news. Hard to tell if that's going to be a trend, or just isolated issues right now. The new generation hasn't been out for very long yet.
post #12 of 17 Old 03-09-2012, 03:47 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagg View Post

The RS45/55/65 bulb is backwards compatible with the RS40/50/60. JVC "unofficially" said that they fixed the issue with the new bulb, but it's still probably too early to tell.

There have been some indications of early dimming on the new generation owners thread though, which doesn't sound like good news. Hard to tell if that's going to be a trend, or just isolated issues right now. The new generation hasn't been out for very long yet.

I'm a bit confused here. Which is the code for the x3/7/9(rs40/50/60) bulb and which for the x30/70/90 (rs45/55/65)? Does the newer bulb produce more lumens or is it just supposed to avoid suffering from early dimming?
post #13 of 17 Old 03-09-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:

I'm a bit confused here. Which is the code for the x3/7/9(rs40/50/60) bulb and which for the x30/70/90 (rs45/55/65)? Does the newer bulb produce more lumens or is it just supposed to avoid suffering from early dimming?

Both of them use the same bulb and this is the main reason i don't get much excited with x30 performance.

qualitylamps.eu/jvc-dla-x30-lamp-pk-l2210up.html
qualitylamps.eu/jvc-dla-x3-lamp-pk-l2210up.html?&manid=3450

Although i will probably end up with an x30 and his terrible performance in 3d but this will only be because i haven't seen any serious competition. I haven't seen W7000 yet
post #14 of 17 Old 03-09-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:

There are several different codes for the bulb that fits both the 2011 and 2012 models. The official JVC part number is the same for all of them, but there are other numbers stamped on the bulb that have some variation to them. Supposedly when the 2012 models came out there was a tweak made to the bulb that "fixed" the problem, according to unofficial claims from JVC. No change to lumens as far as I know.

One of the numbers stamped on the bulb ends in either a -001 -002 or -003. There's been speculation that the -003 is the "new" 2012 bulb. Although I don't think JVC has ever come out and defined what those numbers mean.
post #15 of 17 Old 04-07-2012, 07:08 AM

Purchased my RS-40 Christmas 2011, bulb went 4/7/12. Wish I had read this thread earlier.
post #16 of 17 Old 04-07-2012, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incopass View Post

Purchased my RS-40 Christmas 2011, bulb went 4/7/12. Wish I had read this thread earlier.

Call JVC pro support. They will 2 day ship you another lamp at no cost.
post #17 of 17 Old 04-10-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah View Post

Call JVC pro support. They will 2 day ship you another lamp at no cost.

What he said. JVC is aware the lamps that were made (not by JVC mind you) for these projectors had issues. They have been resolved in later versions, but the original one is more susceptible to issues. They are taking them on a case by case basis, but it is more based on hours on the lamp than time owned...

Jason C. Turk
A/V Science, Inc.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page