Advice for gaming 3D Projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-28-2012, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi, I am currently the owner of a Sony Pearl VW50 and have been quite happy with it. Now I am thinking about an upgrade to current tech and 3D.
Reading up here I came about stuff like lag and ghosting and all that and now I am hopelessly lost in regards to which projector would serve me best.
First off, I can't stand DLC, so those are out.
Screen size is about 140" in a light controlled room.
The projectors I am interested in are :

Sony VW30 - Seems good for gaming but supposedly looses a LOT of brightness in 3D.

Panasonic 5000 (or 7000 in the US) - some say it lags, some say it doesn't. Some people say it has ghosting problems, some say it doesn't. Additionally I read some posts where people said it has not enough lumens for a screen my size. Also reports of lamp flickering and warmup problems with 3D.

Epson EH-TW9000 (no clue how that one is called in the US) - Reviews mention that the dynamic iris is not good and noisy and supposedly the gaming lag is very bad.

Can anyone give me some advice on those projectors ?
Usage would be 100% PC connected, about 50% gaming, 20% Blu-Ray and rest surfing and regular PC stuff. I want to use 3D both for gaming (guess with the 720p60 limitation) and Blu-Rays.

Preferably I'd like the Projector to be as quiet as possible (my VW50 has an annoying whine to it's fans that I'd like to get rid of with a new projector).

Thanks
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-28-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Benq w7000, Acer9500bd, Optoma hd33 (no IRIS, blacks aren't as good), and the Sony hw30 are your best bets.

Please note that they all have advantages/disadvantages and you will have to browse the threads to see what compromises you can live with. The brightness of the Sony in 3D can be countered by using a Da-Lite High Power screen, but keep in mind that really on the Epson 5010 is significantly brighter than the Sony in 3D mode, but it has gaming lag.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3 of 9 Old 02-29-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

First I am surprised you were happy with the Pearl (VW50) on gaming. Though a great projector, the SXRD technology (and LCD) tend to have slower panels which for fast paced viewing, such as many games, often people were bothered by it.

That being said, the newer generations are better in that regard. DLP, though you dislike, is actually one of the best in terms of speed. Since you were fine with the Sony VW50, I'd say any of the ones you listed would be a good step up.

A couple notes on 3D. First, yes ALL 3D displays lose light output in that mode. It is NOT a function of the projector itself changing, rather how 3D works. The glasses themselves cut the light that actually hits your eyes substantially (easy way to demonstrate is go to a store with a 3D, turn on 3D, but don't put on the glasses...will not change the brightness you see).

The other thing with 3D is it is more demanding all around. Your computer often needs more horsepower (especially the video card) and the display is the same way.

Just a few things to think about.

Jason C. Turk
Technical Support, Customer Service, Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
Direct Line: 585-645-1004
Email: jason@avscience.com

Don't forget my nearly 13,000 posts under my old ID!

post #4 of 9 Old 02-29-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

I should also mention we just lined up some B-Stock JVC RS40's...less than most the ones you were considering yet higher end... Another possible option to consider.

Jason C. Turk
A/V Science, Inc.

post #5 of 9 Old 03-01-2012, 08:48 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Welcome back Jason! Good to see you posting again

If 3d gaming is important, I would lean heavily toward a DLP so ghosting is not an issue and I would stay away from the JVCs'. 3d gaming is a torture test I have found for both my RS40 and now RS45 as far as ghosting which many other users have found as well if you read through the owners threads and it is bad enough that I quit gaming in 3d on these projectors

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #6 of 9 Old 03-01-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Welcome back Jason! Good to see you posting again

If 3d gaming is important, I would lean heavily toward a DLP so ghosting is not an issue and I would stay away from the JVCs'. 3d gaming is a torture test I have found for both my RS40 and now RS45 as far as ghosting which many other users have found as well if you read through the owners threads and it is bad enough that I quit gaming in 3d on these projectors

Why thank you! And I concur, plus I will add in general DLP is better for gaming...even 2D. Though the OP stated a general dislike for DLP...

Jason C. Turk
A/V Science, Inc.

post #7 of 9 Old 03-01-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaks View Post

Hi, I am currently the owner of a Sony Pearl VW50 and have been quite happy with it. Now I am thinking about an upgrade to current tech and 3D.
Reading up here I came about stuff like lag and ghosting and all that and now I am hopelessly lost in regards to which projector would serve me best.
First off, I can't stand DLC, so those are out.
Screen size is about 140" in a light controlled room.
The projectors I am interested in are :

Sony VW30 - Seems good for gaming but supposedly looses a LOT of brightness in 3D.

Panasonic 5000 (or 7000 in the US) - some say it lags, some say it doesn't. Some people say it has ghosting problems, some say it doesn't. Additionally I read some posts where people said it has not enough lumens for a screen my size. Also reports of lamp flickering and warmup problems with 3D.

Epson EH-TW9000 (no clue how that one is called in the US) - Reviews mention that the dynamic iris is not good and noisy and supposedly the gaming lag is very bad.

Can anyone give me some advice on those projectors ?
Usage would be 100% PC connected, about 50% gaming, 20% Blu-Ray and rest surfing and regular PC stuff. I want to use 3D both for gaming (guess with the 720p60 limitation) and Blu-Rays.

Preferably I'd like the Projector to be as quiet as possible (my VW50 has an annoying whine to it's fans that I'd like to get rid of with a new projector).

Thanks
Chris

Chris, click on the link in my signature, it shows the lag times of the HW30 and the Epson 5010 (TW9000). I would stay away from the Panasonic 7000 for now given a number of complaints from current owners.

I measured the HW30 at 20-30MS lag time which was the best of the current models (Epson/JVC). The HW30 is still putting out ~900 lumens in 3D mode, but you do have a large screen and didn't comment on the gain. I have a 142" screen which is the Dalite 2.8 high power and the HW30 looks excellent on this screen.

If your screen is low gain, then you would be better served by the torch mode in the Epson, but it does have a higher lag time than the HW30.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-01-2012, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I put together some of the reported lag times for various projectors here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...VhOS0stUVBUeHc

If you have data to add to the spreadsheet, feel free.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-04-2012, 07:35 PM

Liked: 10
Hi! Just curious what gaming you're doing, you using Nvidia GTX cards on a PC? I just gave my Acer H5360 away to a needy family, uh, kids with a parent actually... I was looking to get a new 5360 since it has worked great with Nvidia gaming and CyberlinkPowerDVD for the Blurays and see that 5360 is down to $509 from $669, which leads me to believe something else is coming. I've heard the Optoma HD33 is pretty good but not on the Nvidia approved list.

What is REALLY slick with PowerDVD 12 is that you can finally pull Youtube 3d nice and clean from there.

Anyway, any additional comments would be appreciated. The machine I'll be using has 3 X GTX580, so no issues on the hardware side.

Thanks!, Dan
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP