Help! JVC RS40 stuck @ startup screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-28-2012, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Projector worked fine yesterday night. Tonight, I've got a beautifully sharp B&W image of "D-ILA(r)" on my screen...but nothing else!

Won't respond to any commands from the remote, nor the physical buttons on the projector. Tried unplugging the HDMI in case it was a weird handshaking / firmware issue. Still stuck.

Is there a safe way to power down? Couldn't find anything in the manual or a quick web/forum search. If all else fails, I guess I can rig a portable fan up near the air intake, then pull the power cord...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-28-2012, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Yeah, pull the power plug and wait 30 seconds before plugging back in. My RS40 has done this one or twice but was always because I have a HDMI switcher going to a different display device and it was the HDMI handshake that caused it. Unplugging it always cured it.

Mike

WTB: DPI Cine LED 1000 projector
post #3 of 6 Old 02-29-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
That is a new feature...JVC felt looking at their name was better than any current movie.

Seriously pulling the power and waiting will reset usually. BUT, if you didn't do a normal power cycle, then you want to wait a good hour to let it cool naturally. People often don't realize that a lot of the issue with losing power to projectors before they cool isn't that itself, it is if you try and start it before it is cooled. The lamps specifically don't take kindly to being struck if they are already hot. Likely it would not break the projector, but it could blow the lamp...

Same goes for a power failure... If you have one and the projector shuts down immediately, don't worry too much, but DON'T restart the moment the power is back on (unless it was out for a long period).

Jason C. Turk
Technical Support, Customer Service, Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
Direct Line: 585-645-1004
Email: jason@avscience.com

Don't forget my nearly 13,000 posts under my old ID!

post #4 of 6 Old 03-02-2012, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
It's still stuck on! No wait, just kidding, I unplugged it shortly after Mike's message.

I did try to re-strike the lamp "too soon", but the RS40 wouldn't let me -- didn't even spin up the fan, just flashed an error code. Probably has a temp sensor and some protection circuitry...whew...

Unplugged it again, tried about 45min later, all was well. Sounds like I lucked into the right solution. Thanks for clarifying, Jason!
post #5 of 6 Old 09-30-2012, 01:47 PM

Liked: 12
I'm having this problem now. I tried turning the projector on after not having used it for a few days and it's stuck at the D-ILA screen. I unplugged it, waited a few minutes, plugged it back in and tried it again. Still stuck. Then I unplugged it and waited an hour, and it's still stuck. I even tried switching HDMI ports or tried powering it on with a different HDMI device connected since some suggested it was an HDMI issue. I don't know what to do at this point. I had a circuitry problem with my RS40 in the past and had to send it in to get it fixed. Now after literally a week of having it back, it's doing this. I can't afford to keep having to send this into JVC... What do I do? This JVC product quality and customer service is REALLY getting to me...
post #6 of 6 Old 09-30-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
It unfortunately sounds like it will have to go back to JVC. Last week my remote sensor on front of RS40 quit working but the sensor worked on the back of the projector. I thought I was going to have to send to JVC but after watching a movie and powering down, I unplugged it and next day both sensors worked. Sounds your problem is something more going on. I would contact JVC and since you just got it back from them I would tell them they obviously didn't fix it and you don't feel you should have to pay to have it shipped back. Maybe they can have UPS/FedEx come pick it up on their dime.

Mike

WTB: DPI Cine LED 1000 projector
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs40u

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page