RS45/55/65 X30/70/90: High lamp mode: Brightness pulsing in low ... mid gray(scale) levels - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 03-04-2012, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27

Hi, I'm owner of a X70.

My device has no CA/convergence issues I could talk about, no pixel fault, no perceptible clouding/shading, whole picture quality is absolutly sharp and clear ... short - at all I'm really excited!

But there is one issue I'm wondering and would ask other Xyy/RSyy owners about (maybe they are also affected):

In high lamp mode, on the screen I can observe a not 100% stable (bulb?) brightness within the range of a displayed ~30 ... 60 IRE AVSHD full window test pattern (CalMAN/HCFR section doesn't matter).

There's a very, very slight pulsing up of brightness, almost cyclic for ~ 1Hz. It's absolutly not perceptible in normal lamp mode, and it's independent regarding the - via HDMI direct connected - player (PS3 and cambridge 751 does it as well).

Cause it was also with the first X70 I could check some weeks ago, now I guess it's a system behaviour. But to really go sure, it would be great, if anyone else could take a closer look about that in high lamp mode next time he's displaying this IRE full windows test patterns.

(This slightly brightness pulsing is already perceptible, if I focus my eyes for some seconds upon the menu background of the AVSHD CalMAN full windows submenu)

Finally I have to say, it's not perceptible while watching movies - only in static pictures of that kind. I just only can hope, it won't get more intense after several hundred hours of lamp runtime ...

_________
Regards,
Harry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-05-2012, 07:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
How many hours are on it? I ask because occasionally lamps will have a slight flicker at a certain time in their cycle, and then it goes away. Others who have had this problem turn the lamp to high for about 10 hours and then it usually goes away.

Not sure if this is the same problem you are having, but might be worth a try.

Jason C. Turk
Technical Support, Customer Service, Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
Direct Line: 585-645-1004
Email: jason@avscience.com

Don't forget my nearly 13,000 posts under my old ID!

post #3 of 17 Old 03-05-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Harry* View Post

But there is one issue I'm wondering and would ask other Xyy/RSyy owners about (maybe they are also affected):

In high lamp mode, on the screen I can observe a not 100% stable (bulb?) brightness within the range of a displayed ~30 ... 60 IRE AVSHD full window test pattern (CalMAN/HCFR section doesn't matter).

There's a very, very slight pulsing up of brightness, almost cyclic for ~ 1Hz. It's absolutly not perceptible in normal lamp mode, and it's independent regarding the - via HDMI direct connected - player (PS3 and cambridge 751 does it as well).

Harry - Hi, I noticed the same thing on my first RS55 while calibrating it. I thought my eyes were tricking me, but certain it was there after looking closer.

I haven't noticed it on the replacement 55 (the original had a lens issue) but the hours are still very low (~10).

please update the post if it improves or gets worse over time.
post #4 of 17 Old 03-05-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thx a lot for your comments!

My 2th X70 now has a runtime of ~10 hours, 99% in low mode.

My first X70 got a replacement bulb at ~14h, after a call with JVC service. But the brand new lamp didn't change anything. So I thought, there is something with the high voltage lamp controlling electronic inside the JVC and returned it to the seller. But now the 2th does it again ...

I will see, what's happen next 10 ... 20 hours ...

_________
Regards,
Harry
post #5 of 17 Old 03-05-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Harry* View Post

Thx a lot for your comments!

My 2th X70 now has a runtime of ~10 hours, 99% in low mode.

My first X70 got a replacement bulb at ~14h, after a call with JVC service. But the brand new lamp didn't change anything. So I thought, there is something with the high voltage lamp controlling electronic inside the JVC and returned it to the seller. But now the 2th does it again ...

I will see, what's happen next 10 ... 20 hours ...

Does it happen when the lamp is in high mode? I am trying to recall which mode I saw it in, I believe it was low mode.

It might be worth running it in high for a little while, it could stabilize the lamp as we've seen on other projectors with a similar complaint.

please update the post with your findings.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-07-2012, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Jason,

yes it's only in high lamp mode.
As I wrote, I can not perceive it in normal lamp mode.

But if your issue was in low lamp mode, maybe it was an other effect ... ?

_________
Regards,
Harry
post #7 of 17 Old 03-10-2012, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

I've found an easier way to check this "pulsing" behaviour in high lamp mode.

Inside the JVC Service Menu we can display different test patterns.
The pattern between 100% white and black seems to be around 50 IRE (I didn't measured this).

Now I've observed this behaviour:

If there is no input signal on the X70 (BR Player + AVR = standby), I perceive pulsing.

If I play a 3D BR Disk (for example Harry Potter 7.2), and switch into the service menu with enabling the same "50 IRE" pattern, then the brightness seems to be much more stable (I can't perceive pulsing)

Strange ...

I'm the only one with this?

_________
Regards,
Harry
post #8 of 17 Old 03-12-2012, 03:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Guys , it could be a false psu. Has happend before on a benq 8720 , i had. Flickering of the lamp all the time. Regardless of high or low voltage . It was the psu.
If more than one owners face the same problem , it"s probably a faulty batch.

Limits established to be exceeded.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-16-2012, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

Want to ask again all RS55/65 owners - does no other owner have perceived this slightly "pulsing" issue in high lamp mode - for example - using a IRE 40 test pattern (full windowed)? It's also perceivable in a grayscale "ramp" pattern at the mid of the grayscale ramp ...
My X70 now has 80h of bulb runtime and it's still here ...

_________
Regards,
Harry
post #10 of 17 Old 04-17-2012, 01:25 PM

Liked: 10
I have a X30 (RS45) and yesterday while calibrating it, I saw the same thing, brightness variance in the mid IRES, and only in HIGH lamp mode.

My projector has 40 hours.
post #11 of 17 Old 08-19-2012, 11:20 AM

I just picked up an rs 45 and see this pulsing in mid brightness areas of still images. It's not the source as it's slightly visible in the jvc menu as well. The same effect is seen in high and low bulb. I don't think it's the bulb since it only is evident in mid brightness areas. Is this indeed a change in the way JVCs are driven. My RS2 doesn't show this at all.
post #12 of 17 Old 08-20-2012, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

It's not the bulb. Got a new one from JVC service (new revision with flap), but pulsing is still there. frown.gif

Last days my BR player (Panasonic BDT500) went into "screen saver" mode. The Panasonic UI background (main menu) switched down to darkgray ... I saw the most pulsing ever.

When high lamp pulsing is most visible, meanwhile that's my observation about the "conditions":
Runtime after power up ~ 0.5 ... 2 hours (regardless of normal/high lamp mode) / 18 ... 20°C intake air / use of CMD (3) does boost this effect.

Maybe it's a cooler (intermittent switching up/down between 2 levels, so current load does vary) ... or only bad internal PSU ... I don't know.
Main power (230VAC) isn't the reason; have check'd this some times by measurings with DMM+Oscilloscope.
I'm in contact with JVC; will see what's happen.

_________
Regards,
Harry
post #13 of 17 Old 08-21-2012, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I have an RS 40. I'm not positive it's the same thing, but when I would go into the XBOX 360 service menu, it had this gray menu.. I'd get some weirdness that would be similar to what you are describing.... I haven't checked it since I got my 003 flapper, but I'll check tonight to see if it's still there. I'm assuming that the lamp change didn't affect it because (at least to me) it didn't strike me as something lamp-related.
I'm pretty sure when I saw this for the first time, I went to the 30-70 full screen gray and saw it on a few of those.

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #14 of 17 Old 08-22-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Harry* View Post

It's not the bulb. Got a new one from JVC service (new revision with flap), but pulsing is still there. frown.gif
Last days my BR player (Panasonic BDT500) went into "screen saver" mode. The Panasonic UI background (main menu) switched down to darkgray ... I saw the most pulsing ever.
When high lamp pulsing is most visible, meanwhile that's my observation about the "conditions":
Runtime after power up ~ 0.5 ... 2 hours (regardless of normal/high lamp mode) / 18 ... 20°C intake air / use of CMD (3) does boost this effect.
Maybe it's a cooler (intermittent switching up/down between 2 levels, so current load does vary) ... or only bad internal PSU ... I don't know.
Main power (230VAC) isn't the reason; have check'd this some times by measurings with DMM+Oscilloscope.
I'm in contact with JVC; will see what's happen.

In my experience, for comparison's sake, it's slightly less noticible than dithering in my Pioneer plasma and I can't see it from my normal viewing distance of 11 feet. But, it's enough that on a still image I'd think anyone would see it if they're standing within 5 feet of the screen. Especially if they're displaying test patterns.

Please post back about JVC's response.
post #15 of 17 Old 08-28-2012, 04:02 PM

Liked: 13
Let's hope they release a FW fixing CMD soon.

I'm thinking to get a RS55 or X55 ou X75 (will depends the price and specs).

[]s,
Fernando
post #16 of 17 Old 08-28-2012, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradius2 View Post

Let's hope they release a FW fixing CMD soon.
I'm thinking to get a RS55 or X55 ou X75 (will depends the price and specs).

Same here. Although I don't think I'll be looking at the RS55 simply because I would like better 3D and better CMD. Hopefully that will be the case with the new projectors. The X55 or X75 is what I will be looking at. I'm praying for better quality lamps too!! Don't disappoint me JVC!
post #17 of 17 Old 08-29-2012, 09:00 AM

I haven't used CMD, but I'll turn it on to see if the effect is exaggerated on mine.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Pro Dla Rs65u3d Reference Series 3d Home Cinema 4k Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page