Is 2012 the last year bulb projectors will dominate the market? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 41 Old 03-24-2012, 12:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

as far as solid state devices replacing lamps Luminus has just come out with a 2250 Xenon replacement

I didn't see anything on their site saying they had a xenon replacment. Do you have a direct link? Or do you mean either the PT121 or PT120?

Nevermind, I found it. It is a white light replacement, not RGB

Scott Stephens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 03-24-2012, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

BTW

in terms of lumens, how many lumens of blue/green/red do you need for each lumen of white?

I know that will be dependent on the wavelength, so lets go with the luminus values, 460, 525, 623, all nm of course. As far as I can tell those are pretty decent values.

Scott Stephens
post #33 of 41 Old 03-24-2012, 12:12 AM
Advanced Member

Also BTW, those hybrid projectors that are using a blue laser to excite a green phosphor are losing out on the great saturation available with led or laser, are they not? Since luminus was quoting 60k hr. life, am I correct in assuming the 20k hour life quoted for that casio is probably the lower life of the phosphor?

Scott Stephens
post #34 of 41 Old 03-24-2012, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If the Luminus CBT-90 LED puts out as much light as a typical 175 watt metal halide lamp used in home theater projectors, that means using just two of them would be the same as using a 350 watt bulb, which would give you a 3,000 to 4,000 lumen DLP projector depending how it was set up.

Using four of them should give you a good large venue projector in the 5,000 to 7,000 lumen range depending on what chip technology you use. It would work great with LCOS as well. Sanyo's new 4 chip PLC-HP7000L LCD projector puts out 7,000 lumens using just one 380 watt bulb, so using four of the Luminous LEDs would give you 10,000 lumens or more.

Bulbs are going the way of the Dodo bird soon.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodo
post #35 of 41 Old 03-25-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 133
It makes no sense to use white LED's for a pj.

Noah
post #36 of 41 Old 03-25-2012, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
RED BLUE GREEN is better than WHITE for a projector, but in any given moment it depends on what is available in the marketplace to use. What are the costs at any one point in time?

The main point is that LEDs and lasers will soon destroy any need for conventional bulbs. They will make them in different colors, and they will be better than bulbs at a price we can afford.
post #37 of 41 Old 03-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

It has less to do with cost and more to do with the spectrum available. Most "white" led lights are created using a blue led exciting a yellow phosphor. While the yellow usually has a fairly broad spectrum, they aren't that great for extracting green and red. You also need to go back to a colour wheel.

Scott Stephens
post #38 of 41 Old 03-25-2012, 04:07 PM

I've got one of the Samsung "phat light" LED illuminated DLP rear projection TV sets and it always had outstanding color accuracy/gamut/etc. I was surprised to see them drop that technology. I read there were some reliability issues, but my set has been flawless for years now.

I know front projectors would need potentially somewhat higher power levels, but if they were achieving those levels years ago, it would seem higher values wouldn't be that hard. To my knowledge, it is a 3 color (RGB) solution.
AaronS
post #39 of 41 Old 03-25-2012, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronS View Post

I've got one of the Samsung "phat light" LED illuminated DLP rear projection TV sets and it always had outstanding color accuracy/gamut/etc. I was surprised to see them drop that technology. I read there were some reliability issues, but my set has been flawless for years now.

I know front projectors would need potentially somewhat higher power levels, but if they were achieving those levels years ago, it would seem higher values wouldn't be that hard. To my knowledge, it is a 3 color (RGB) solution.
AaronS

Yeah, I have one of those too. Well over 9k hours on it without a single problem or degradation. That is why I have been jonesing so bad for someone to partner with lumagen and put out a good PJ. In the meantime I have $300 earmarked for a new bulb on my 4 times larger picture PJ because that is the world we live in.
post #40 of 41 Old 03-26-2012, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Thanks AaronS and Mikes2cents; Reporting long-term reliability of these LED Phlatlight chipsets from Luminus Devices certainly takes a load off my mind. I've been running my Runco Q-750D LED pj (Phlatlight PT-120) very heavily for the past 5 months, at least 300 hours/month, and i wonder sometimes what's the internal temperature near each LED chip after the pj has been running for 5 hours or so; Sometimes i like to place my hand next to the two air-exhaust fans and all i can feel is a hint of warm air, which is promising and a relief.
What i think borders on the amazing is the fact that the company sells any of these LED chipsets in any quantity to anyone with the $$$, including single orders for the PT-120 LED chipset which was being sold for about $220 last time i checked it !
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcos
post #41 of 41 Old 03-27-2012, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstephen View Post

I didn't see anything on their site saying they had a xenon replacment. Do you have a direct link? Or do you mean either the PT121 or PT120?

Nevermind, I found it. It is a white light replacement, not RGB

absolutely! not getting rid of the color wheel seems like a waste of solid state technology.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page