Pioneer Elite Kuro Projector Questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-10-2012, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought this projector when it was first introduced, still enjoy it even tho I have changed the bulb too many times, it gets a lot of use. Its been awhile but I have the upgrade bug and want to upgrade, 3-4500 range and I also have my Vutec Silverstar screen 110" which is at least 9 yrs old, its outlasted 3 projectors. My HT room is dark red walls, black carpet, light controlled. I have no complaints on the screen, would just as soon as keep it. What projectors should I be looking at to upgrade....JVC, Sony, ?? When I got the Pioneer I was told then to get the JVC but got the Pioneer instead, no regrets, it still offers a beautiful picture but there are a lot of better PJ out there now since when I bought my Pioneer.

"Don't Bend Over in the Garden Granny, Them Taters Got Eyes"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-11-2012, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

so does anyone have any thoughts your willing to share, I'm looking for some help.............

post #3 of 11 Old 03-11-2012, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 111
The forum is very quiet Friday - Sunday. Give it time, folks will comment. I don't have any experience in this price range so can not comment but you will get response in time.

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old 03-11-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The Pioneer is basically a JVC any way. So if you're happy with the Pioneer. I would look at JVCs in that price range.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-11-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah View Post

The Pioneer is basically a JVC any way. So if you're happy with the Pioneer. I would look at JVCs in that price range.

Ditto. I too had the Pioneer FPJ1 which was basically a re-badge JVC RS2. If you're used to the JVC blacks, you'll probably want to stick with same. AVS is having a sale right now on B-stock RS40s (see sticky thread at top of forum and call them). GREAT price and a very good PJ. I suggest springing for the Mack bulb warranty at purchase time which provides some peace of mind for the lamps, which are expensive.

I currently have an RS40 and can say that it's better than the FPJ1. It does 3D, but is not bright and does exhibit ghosting. However, the blacks are very good and its still one of the best 2D projectors in this price range. If you want better 3D (brighter, less ghosting), you may want to consider something else like the Epson 5010/6010 or Sony HW30.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

post #6 of 11 Old 03-11-2012, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Since you like the look of your Pioneer (relabled JVC RS2), your best bet would be to either get a new JVC DLA-RS45 or one of the "B-stock" DLA-RS40 projectors that the AVS Store has an sale right now for a very good price (web page is HERE). These slightly used projectors (2011 model) come with a new lamp and the full 2 year JVC warranty. While the RS45 added a few new features, such as lens memory, missing on the RS40, the 2D and 3D performance is essentially the same between the RS40 and the RS45.

As for your screen, while it is very high gain and thus produces a bright image (as long as you don't sit too far off axis), that screen material is know to have a number of limitations/issues that makes is less then ideal for use in a home theater. As a result there are other screens/materials that will produce an overall superior image, but not as bright. One review of the Silver Star is included the forum thread HERE and another review is HERE

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #7 of 11 Old 03-11-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I replaced my Pioneer FPJ1 with an RS45. Here are a few thoughts on differences I have noticed:
  • My RS45 has slightly bright corners which the Pioneer never had.
  • My RS45 has a noticeably sharper picture than my Pioneer.
  • Black levels and contrast are pretty much on par.
  • Motion is better and even though FI isn't the best it's a very nice improvement over the FPJ1 IMO.
  • It's brighter and has a more punchy pic (possibly due to brightness).

Having said that, if you aren't a black level fanatic (supposedly it's pretty close to the RS45 but falls just short of it) and are interested in 3D I'd give the Epson 5010 a look as well.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-11-2012, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for your time and comments, I appreciate your thoughts.
Since some of you commented on the Pioneer not being really bright, What projectors should I be looking at to get a brighter image and still good blacks?
My price range is open, I'm just looking for a newer and better projector than the Pioneer, its 2012 and I'm wanting to upgrade to something that I'll be happy with for 3,4 years.

post #9 of 11 Old 03-11-2012, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy49 View Post

Thanks to everyone for your time and comments, I appreciate your thoughts.
Since some of you commented on the Pioneer not being really bright, What projectors should I be looking at to get a brighter image and still good blacks?
My price range is open, I'm just looking for a newer and better projector than the Pioneer, its 2012 and I'm wanting to upgrade to something that I'll be happy with for 3,4 years.

Personally, if you can wait and have any interest in 3D I'd wait til the next line of projectors roll out as many still hope some improvements will be coming in regards to ghosting for non-DLP projectors. The Sony line could be out as early as august. For a bright pic and good black levels in your price range the JVC, Epson, and Sony are probably going to be the best bets.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-11-2012, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I went from the FPJ1 to JVC RS20. Haven't felt the need to upgrade since. If I was upgrading from a FPJ1 today I would definitely hop on the RS40 deal AVS is having. Excellent projector and for under $2k you can't beat it. Spend the rest of the money on other improvements for your HT. Masking, Acoustics treatments etc...

300 Blu-Rays, 150 DVD's loaded in my Movie Server!

Thanks AVS for making me addicted to this hobby!
post #11 of 11 Old 03-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Well as suggested a few times...very good blacks and VERY BRIGHT the Epson 5010/6010

I have a friend really always trash talked the Epson...came over last night and LOVED LOVED my 6010. Super bright and really good blacks. Check it out!

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page