Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 432 Old 03-17-2012, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslaw81 View Post

I called Epson and they said there is no update at this time.

There is an update i installed it today.

On the grobi site(germany) there is also info on the update.

I made the uprade at grobi germany.

Best regards..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 432 Old 03-17-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by john2910 View Post

There is an update i installed it today.

On the grobi site(germany) there is also info on the update.

I made the uprade at grobi germany.

Best regards..

WHY can't you post a URL
post #33 of 432 Old 03-17-2012, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

WHY can't you post a URL

http://www.grobi.tv/
post #34 of 432 Old 03-17-2012, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Crude....if someone could translate that would be cool

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #35 of 432 Old 03-17-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

thanks
post #36 of 432 Old 03-18-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post

Crude....if someone could translate that would be cool

Just run the article through Google Translate:

"With the current Epson models, we are not really "warm" become. That's certainly been noticed and the reasons for this we have also partially explained or have already seen a lot of self-assessment by the devices.

Now Epson has taken the criticism seriously from the market. Among other things, for us an EPSON team from Japan to visit a few weeks ago, we were able to call and demonstrate our criticisms. At that time, had already been announced already that probably could make a software update for significant improvement.

For the models 9000 and 9000W is, of course, the LPE versions, there will be an update. This can not and must not be installed by end users according to Epson.

We are now the authorized dealers, which may now install the SOFTWARE on our customer equipment.

Alternatively, the EPSON service will offer this update as well.

The update brings an improved programming of the IRIS diaphragm with it.

In addition, the "super resolution" now better matched to the 5 settings and our main criticism that was jerky 3D representation is now revised and corrected. The "interframe" is still available only for the 2D playback.

We are happy to give you further details."

FEEL an awesome 3D Blu-ray movie in the
- Now with projection in glorious "FREYMAX" 3D!

post #37 of 432 Old 03-18-2012, 02:34 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

I tried this, steps 1 and 2 but the menu was gone after that, never saw what is described in step 3. I tried it three times and it didn't work for me. I have a 6010.

I also have the 6010 and the steps described also didn't work for me. I've also noticed the info menu that listed a long string of numbers above the serial number. Mine does end in a 4. Also not sure whether that has anything to do with the firmware. WynsWrld98, what does yours say?
post #38 of 432 Old 03-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybob View Post

I also have the 6010 and the steps described also didn't work for me. I've also noticed the info menu that listed a long string of numbers above the serial number. Mine does end in a 4. Also not sure whether that has anything to do with the firmware. WynsWrld98, what does yours say?

Strange, it works in my 6010

post #39 of 432 Old 03-19-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I just picked my new 6010 up recently and the dealer believes it has the latest US firmware since it was from the most recent shipment to the distributor. I checked it out using the method above and mine shows 103. The dealer checked his support database with Epson and says he didn't see anything available for 104 or above.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #40 of 432 Old 03-19-2012, 05:59 PM

Liked: 20
The latest software is 104. I checked with Epson today. I just picked one up for a customer on Friday when I came back from Florida and according to Epson it should have 104 already installed. But your dealer uses the same distributor that I used and they are both likely from the same batch. You dealer should be able to install the 104 for you if it isn't already in it. I will let you know if the one I picked up on Friday has it. If it doesn't, I will be installing it tomorrow. The distributor didn't know what software was in it when I called them this morning.
post #41 of 432 Old 03-19-2012, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

The latest software is 104. I checked with Epson today. I just picked one up for a customer on Friday when I came back from Florida and according to Epson it should have 104 already installed. But your dealer uses the same distributor that I used and they are both likely from the same batch. You dealer should be able to install the 104 for you if it isn't already in it. I will let you know if the one I picked up on Friday has it. If it doesn't, I will be installing it tomorrow. The distributor didn't know what software was in it when I called them this morning.

I have the 5010 and have inquired with Epson about the 104 firmware update. My unit has 101. Those that I spoke to at Epson say there is no new update and that if it was available it would be on Epson.com. How can I get the new firmware installed on my projector? I purchased from Projectorpeople.com. Can I install it myself with the rs232 port or something to that effect. Thanks for the help
post #42 of 432 Old 03-19-2012, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Can you please post the name/phone # of whoever you talk to at Epson that knows of this firmware update since people are saying they're calling Epson and whoever they talk to says they know nothing of a firmware update? This would also be useful to know when people contact their dealer and their dealer says they aren't finding anyone at Epson who knows of a firmware update. Thanks!
post #43 of 432 Old 03-19-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:

Strange, it works in my 6010

did you have to hold down the "menu" button for precisely 8 seconds then quickly press "esc" button twice? i would hold on to "menu" button for 8 seconds, but as soon as I release the button, the popup menu just goes away. am I missing something?
post #44 of 432 Old 03-19-2012, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
In my case (6010), I simply counted to 8 secs and a bit beyond to be safe, then ESC twice and it worked on the first try. Maybe I just got lucky, but it didn't seem too picky about the timing.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #45 of 432 Old 03-20-2012, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

In my case (6010), I simply counted to 8 secs and a bit beyond to be safe, then ESC twice and it worked on the first try. Maybe I just got lucky, but it didn't seem too picky about the timing.

I have never gotten it to work using the stated procedure but if I keep pressing the ESC key off and on (not just hold it down) until the menu comes up then it works for me. Normally it takes about 3 presses of the ESC key to bring it up for me. I'm at firmware version 100, bought mine early February.
post #46 of 432 Old 03-20-2012, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybob View Post

did you have to hold down the "menu" button for precisely 8 seconds then quickly press "esc" button twice? i would hold on to "menu" button for 8 seconds, but as soon as I release the button, the popup menu just goes away. am I missing something?

I just held the menu for 8 or more seconds, counted slow. Let go and pressed ESC twice and up came the service menu.

post #47 of 432 Old 03-20-2012, 06:21 AM

I will post more later today. Instead of the whole world calling Epson, wait till about 10:30 AM ECST when I will post the latest CORRECT info from Epson. The right people from Epson don't start until 10AM ECSt.
post #48 of 432 Old 03-20-2012, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I will post more later today. Instead of the whole world calling Epson, wait till about 10:30 AM ECST when I will post the latest CORRECT info from Epson. The right people from Epson don't start until 10AM ECSt.

Good idea...when I called Epson late last week....after 45 minutes and 2 escalations, they came back with this statement:

"Sorry there is no firmware upgrade for your printer"

What a joke...and thanks for helping!

post #49 of 432 Old 03-20-2012, 07:33 AM

I called Epson and they confirmed that the latest software is 104. they are now preparing instructions for DEALERS to load it into Epson 6010s (I didn't ask about the 5010 per se) but it will take a few days for this to be completed. They said its for dealers and service centers only and that dealers should not to disclose the instructions. I have no idea what the new software does other than what's in the links in this thread.

I have no other info and will not respond to requests asking such things as why can't end users do it, blah blah blah. When I have the update and the instructions, I will so post.
post #50 of 432 Old 03-20-2012, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

It's amazing the firmware info is so secretive, for example I'm on firmware version 100 on my 6010, so my obvious question is what's in firmware versions 101, 102, 103 and now 104? And no way to find out? What's wrong with this picture? It would take Epson no time at all to post this info on the 5010/6010 pages on their website for all to see.
post #51 of 432 Old 03-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

It's amazing the firmware info is so secretive, for example I'm on firmware version 100 on my 6010, so my obvious question is what's in firmware versions 101, 102, 103 and now 104? And no way to find out? What's wrong with this picture? It would take Epson no time at all to post this info on the 5010/6010 pages on their website for all to see.

I think in time it will come out...my believe it is just TOO NEW and they are figuring out all the ramifications, etc.

Crazy question....but do we know if EPSON has EVER updated the FIRMWARE "remotely", meaning in the customers hands, etc. ?

post #52 of 432 Old 03-22-2012, 05:35 AM

I found a more comprehensive article on the TW9000/6010 update:

Note: Google Translated

Projector owners can look forward to. The company Epson has released a firmware update for the EH-TW9000 model! This Epson is the desire for many film fans who want a smooth 3D projection of their Blu-ray. So far, 3D movies on Blu-ray have been played with 120 Hz. Since the movies have mostly 24 Hz over a frequency reproduction, the reproduction caused by 120 Hz for disturbing Pulldownruckeln. Furthermore, Epson has a number of other improvements made.

Here is the summary of the improvements the new firmware version:
- New Firmware Version: 1.04
- Super Resolution: There are now more subtle gradations of the "sharpness" is possible. So far, revealed the stages 1-3 no significant differences visible. Only the highest level was then much "sharper". This has now been improved so that the differences in the levels 1-3 are clearly visible.
- Auto Iris: There are two significant changes.
First The gamma function of the auto-iris is now working more homogeneous. This will affect the colors in the image. With the full aperture colors properly. Once the auto-iris closes, however, the gamma is changed. Through this gamma adjustment is the same brightness impression conveyed as with open aperture. So far, the operation of the gamma adjustment resulted in a situation where more image content was slightly colored yellow / green. This has been corrected with the new firmware version. With a closed car-hood, the colors now look like with an open car hood.
Second The operation of the auto-iris is now more aggressive. So far, it took several seconds to reach its maximum black level. Was a black screen to see the finished auto-iris. When the black screen for several seconds long been projected, the auto-iris and regulated by the image has been slowly and visibly darker. With the new firmware to the auto iris closes completely with a black screen - and it darkens with nothing more!
- 3D Visualization: 3-D movies at 24 Hz (eg feature films on Blu-ray) are now displayed without Pulldownruckeln. 50 Hz and 60 Hz source material generally does not stutter when they are played at 50 Hz and 60 Hz. This setting makes the projector automatically. The frame insertion is still in 3D Kontent unusable.
- Installing the new firmware: the dealer goes through the software update. He should not be in a position to assume the Epson service that uploading the new firmware version.
- Cost: The update is FREE.

Currently there are no new firmware versions for the projectors Epson EH-TW6000 TW 5900.

http://www.heimkino-blog.de/allgemei...los-erhaltlich

Looks good.
post #53 of 432 Old 03-22-2012, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Wow great update, this is pretty exciting...since my 6010 takes FOREVER for the Iris to respond - also I was up nights since the "disturbing Pulldownruckeln" gave me bad nightmares, glad to see this is being addressed

post #54 of 432 Old 03-22-2012, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Good idea...when I called Epson late last week....after 45 minutes and 2 escalations, they came back with this statement:

"Sorry there is no firmware upgrade for your printer"

What a joke...and thanks for helping!

Although they all are some part of the Epson name, my understanding is that the projector units fall under a completely different division that operates without much interference from the corporate head.

When I got my 1080UB, it came with a plastic warranty/service card with a phone number. Do the new units still come with that? If so I would call that number.

post #55 of 432 Old 03-22-2012, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

Although they all are some part of the Epson name, my understanding is that the projector units fall under a completely different division that operates without much interference from the corporate head.

When I got my 1080UB, it came with a plastic warranty/service card with a phone number. Do the new units still come with that? If so I would call that number.

Yes, and that is the number I called - honestly I think for some reason they are keeping this firmware fix from the AVERAGE JOE - and only if you have a dealer or you push do you get it addressed.

Think of it this way...image if ALL the 5010/TW9000/etc sold GLOBALLY HAD to be fedexed back and forth to get fixed...WOW, lots of CASH and their margins are not that good to absorb all this.

post #56 of 432 Old 03-22-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Yes, and that is the number I called - honestly I think for some reason they are keeping this firmware fix from the AVERAGE JOE - and only if you have a dealer or you push do you get it addressed.

Think of it this way...image if ALL the 5010/TW9000/etc sold GLOBALLY HAD to be fedexed back and forth to get fixed...WOW, lots of CASH and their margins are not that good to absorb all this.

It seems the FW update from their POV is they're enhancements, not necessarily bug fixes.
So, I can see why they wouldn't publicly release a statement about this FW update.

Unless you have a genuine issue that is a fault that can be resolved by this FW update, I don't see Epson updating all units in the field/current customers.

*Even though a user servicable FW update might be feasible, I believe Epson is not disclosing the method or file because then someone could easily take a 5010 and make it a 6010 with a simple FW upgrade with the proper file.

post #57 of 432 Old 03-22-2012, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone know what was done in firmware versions 101-103? I'm at firmware version 100 on my 6010...

I've definitely seen the Super Resolution bug, saw next to no effect on levels 1-3 but then lots on levels 4-5
post #58 of 432 Old 03-23-2012, 04:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I bought my 5010 from projector people.com. I inquired with them about the firmware upgrade and they contacted there Epson rep. Here's the response they got:

I have confirmed with Epson that the only "fix" that the upgrade is for is a sub menu on a rarely used setting that when the projector has been inverted for mounting, does not flip that particular menu screen appropriately. The menu if for aligning the LCD panels but I would not mention that unless the client asks specifically about the menu that is affected as it may raise more questions for you. The fact of the matter is that if the client wants to align their panels they may do so BEFORE they invert and mount and then there is zero issue.

The good news is that Epson has developed a kit that they will send to the end-users for the upgrade but they will ask for the kit to be retuned once they have completed the upgrade. The bad news is that it is not MAC OS compatible and it can only be used with Windows XP or OLDER Windows OS. I explained to them the unlikelihood of our clients having PCs that old and they are taking that to management to consider another plan. There is not currently a plan in place for these requests other than you bringing them to me on a case by case basis and we can determine the best way to manage at that point.
post #59 of 432 Old 03-23-2012, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 67
In the past with the 6500/7500 Epson let users do the update themselves before Japan asked them to stop this practice. They did not want users to have access to the update because they feared that someone might make modifications to it. It was necessary to have a modem serial cable and a usb-serial cable combo to use with windows 7. I am guessing that is the reason why Epson is saying that the upgrade works with Windows XP since many new computers do not have a serial port. I used Windows 7 with the combo in the past with my previous projector. The upgrade required several steps and the instructions had to be followed to get it to work correctly.
post #60 of 432 Old 03-23-2012, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslaw81 View Post

The fact of the matter is that if the client wants to align their panels they may do so BEFORE they invert and mount and then there is zero issue.

By the way, this is HORRIBLE advice from EPSON
Oh and they lied, there is MORE to the firmware than just this.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson 5010 E Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector With Wirelesshd

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page