post #121 of 432 Old 04-06-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

this "Private Line" support was not what I had hoped for. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but it seems like this could be handled better

Yep, same here, back to square 1, and a little peeved! They seem to be either not telling their lvl 1 support about the firmware, or keeping it under wraps unless you push them about it. After talking to lvl 3 support, and going back and forth a little about the existance of the update/availability, they told me that now, since the service centers have the kits, they are NOT sending them out to customers. Level 3 said I would need to send/take it to an authorized service center for the update.

I'm going back to my dealer to address the issue. This isn't the support that I was hoping to get from Epson "Private Line" Support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 432 Old 04-06-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
To follow up: the "Service Center" for me is not physically very far (good luck on my part), but, I spoke with them and that was less than promising. They are basically a computer/IT/repair facility that evidently contracts out to companies to do networking, repairs and computer related upgrades like this Epson firmware. The guy I spoke to started off bragging about how they've worked on "hundreds" of projectors, but when pressed, admitted finally he's never heard of the Epson 6010 and would have to look into it next week (he had left early since it's Friday and was on his cell phone). I know what this is coming to - they will contact Epson directly, there will be a delay as he figures out the process and Epson sends the usb kit to them, instead of me. This will take some time and, in the end, a bunch of delay while he figures out how to flash the f/w, the same way most of us could.

I understand that Epson doesn't want to just give this to the average consumer in case of failure and complaint, so I get going through the "service center". But really, every other piece of A/V equipment I have, including my $16k Sim2, Denon and Pioneer AVRs, Oppo BDP-95, etc, all allow simple firmware upgrade through USB or online ethernet. I guess my complaint just comes down to the awkward and inconvenient delivery of the upgrade, not the firmware upgrade itself. By the time the "service center" gets on board with this and I still have to unhook and drive the unit to them, maybe I'll find someone online who has done it and can share the f/w file. And yes, I'll take my chances doing that.

Fortunately, I'm happy with the 6010 as is and have experienced no issues at all, including convergence which is fine OOTB, along with the THX image settings. I will manually use Chromapure to calibrate the other settings to taste. The 3D shows no ghosting or anomalies that I detect and is very bright, even on my big 2.35 screen through the a-lens.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #123 of 432 Old 04-07-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Received an e-mail from Epson that they will start sending out the kits Monday for those on the list (not sure how spread out this will be re: how many kits there are, how many on list re: how long may be).
post #124 of 432 Old 04-07-2012, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

Received an e-mail from Epson that they will start sending out the kits Monday for those on the list (not sure how spread out this will be re: how many kits there are, how many on list re: how long may be).

Hope you get it, as they would not send it out to me. I was able to get the FW from my dealer, however. Not sure what the policy is for putting it up online for others to look at. There are obvious implications of bricking your projector, should you actually try using it, and mess up the install.

There are a couple of files to install/run to set up a com port in device manager, for the download interface, and a couple of hoops to jump through following proper power off, button pushing sequences, etc. Nothing to technical if your computer savvy. Waiting to borrow a friends laptop for mine, maybe in a couple days.

Some of the info in the pdf. relating to the requirements.

Operating Environment
1.1 Hardware Requirements

A PC with; Windows 98SE / Windows Me / Windows 2000 / Windows XP with an available USB port. (Note Windows Vista / 7, and Macintosh OS X are not supported at this time)

1.2 Software to install
IDOL 3.05 firmware uploader utility (From CD)
EMPUSB2Setup.exe (From CD)
Firmware file V104 should be copied to the Desktop (From CD)

1.3 Applicable projectors
Apply firmware version V104 as needed to all;
PowerLite Pro Cinema 6010
PowerLite Home Cinema 5010/5010e series projectors
Apply as needed for all units that have a previous version of firmware.
post #125 of 432 Old 04-07-2012, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

Hope you get it, as they would not send it out to me. I was able to get the FW from my dealer, however. Not sure what the policy is for putting it up online for others to look at. There are obvious implications of bricking your projector, should you actually try using it, and mess up the install.

There are a couple of files to install/run to set up a com port in device manager, for the download interface, and a couple of hoops to jump through following proper power off, button pushing sequences, etc. Nothing to technical if your computer savvy. Waiting to borrow a friends laptop for mine, maybe in a couple days.

Some of the info in the pdf. relating to the requirements.

Operating Environment
1.1 Hardware Requirements

A PC with; Windows 98SE / Windows Me / Windows 2000 / Windows XP with an available USB port. (Note Windows Vista / 7, and Macintosh OS X are not supported at this time)

1.2 Software to install
IDOL 3.05 firmware uploader utility (From CD)
EMPUSB2Setup.exe (From CD)
Firmware file V104 should be copied to the Desktop (From CD)

1.3 Applicable projectors
Apply firmware version V104 as needed to all;
PowerLite Pro Cinema 6010
PowerLite Home Cinema 5010/5010e series projectors
Apply as needed for all units that have a previous version of firmware.

Did it reset any picture memories you setup? or were they left intact after the firmware update?
post #126 of 432 Old 04-08-2012, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Did it reset any picture memories you setup? or were they left intact after the firmware update?

All settings will be left intact
post #127 of 432 Old 04-08-2012, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
just to be clear, if the projector has been professionally ISF calibrated this update will not change any of that. No need for further calibration post-update?
post #128 of 432 Old 04-08-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Waiting to borrow a friends laptop, haven't installed the FW yet.
post #129 of 432 Old 04-08-2012, 07:25 AM

Liked: 20
We are dealers and we have not yet received our kits. the safest thing to do is to just copy all your settings. if you are too lazy to copy them dpwn on paper, just call up the menues and take screen shots.
post #130 of 432 Old 04-08-2012, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpete12 View Post

just to be clear, if the projector has been professionally ISF calibrated this update will not change any of that. No need for further calibration post-update?

Everything will be left intact
post #131 of 432 Old 04-08-2012, 01:22 PM

Liked: 10
I did the FW upgrade to 104 just a few days ago. Be very careful with the instructions provided and make sure you follow the onscreen prompts directly. At least, with my instructions I had to be careful as they were slightly out of sequence with respect to what was happening on the laptop. Otherwise, you need a laptop that is not runnning W7 or MAC OS plus a mini usb cable and you need to make sure you install the two app's from Epson first as well as putting the projector into download mode twice. At the start and once the virtual com port is detected during the install phase. I upgraded my 6010 from FW 103. Seems sharper in general, 2D and 3D, with more depth and vividness. At least, from what I'm seeing.
post #132 of 432 Old 04-08-2012, 06:19 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

I understand that Epson doesn't want to just give this to the average consumer in case of failure and complaint, so I get going through the "service center". But really, every other piece of A/V equipment I have, including my $16k Sim2, Denon and Pioneer AVRs, Oppo BDP-95, etc, all allow simple firmware upgrade through USB or online ethernet. I guess my complaint just comes down to the awkward and inconvenient delivery of the upgrade, not the firmware upgrade itself. By the time the "service center" gets on board with this and I still have to unhook and drive the unit to them, maybe I'll find someone online who has done it and can share the f/w file. And yes, I'll take my chances doing that.

This.

Sounds like it will be a major hassle getting this upgrade performed by a local service center anytime soon, and the nearest one to me according to the Epson site is a good distance away. So, if this firmware were to mysteriously become "available" or gets put up somewhere for convenient download, please inform us (we do all have PM... ) I have worked in IT for 25 years, so no firmware update scares me...

FEEL an awesome 3D Blu-ray movie in the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Now with projection in glorious "FREYMAX" 3D!

post #133 of 432 Old 04-08-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreyTheater View Post

I have worked in IT for 25 years, so no firmware update scares me...

Sent ya a PM.
post #134 of 432 Old 04-09-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:

Sent ya a PM.

I live in Sweden, don't even know of if there is a Epson Service Center in the Country. And the store I bought my tw9000 from, don't know anything about any firmware updates :/

So you can imagine I been following this thread with great interest (even got me to register on AVSforum).

I am currently on firmware 101, and I have only been working in IT for the last 10 years But a PM would be greatly appreciated
post #135 of 432 Old 04-09-2012, 08:43 AM

Liked: 14
If you guys have trouble getting the update in the US, you can guess how hard it could be trying that here in Spain...

I have a PC, winXP, mini-USB cable, computer eng. degree, 15 years experience in embedded systems, I can read instructions in english and have pretty good luck, so I think I quailify for a PM!

Thanks a lot
post #136 of 432 Old 04-09-2012, 09:43 AM

Awesome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #137 of 432 Old 04-09-2012, 11:34 AM

Been lurking here for a while. Got the 5010 with v100 on it. I got all the equipment and the knowledge (IT/programmer for 20 years) so if someone would send me the 104 firmware that would be much appreciated. Thanks!
post #138 of 432 Old 04-09-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmas View Post

Been lurking here for a while. Got the 5010 with v100 on it. I got all the equipment and the knowledge (IT/programmer for 20 years) so if someone would send me the 104 firmware that would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Why not get Epson to send it to you they are only a Phone Call Away
post #139 of 432 Old 04-09-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

Why not get Epson to send it to you they are only a Phone Call Away

Well, I guess if they will send it out, that's all good, but I wasn't able to get 'em to send it to me? They told me that since the kits are out to the service centers now, no more kits to the customers. Anywho, PM's sent to those who asked.

Should anyone actually ruin their projector after "looking" at a FW update, most likely, Epson will not help you. Please be careful if you choose to inspect a FW file(s). Sorry, I don't know if the incl. info works for our overseas neighbors. All I know is what was mentioned in the pdf as posted above, regarding the hardware/software enviroment requirements.
post #140 of 432 Old 04-09-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I guess if they will send it out, that's all good, but I wasn't able to get 'em to send it to me? They told me that since the kits are out to the service centers now, no more kits to the customers. Anywho, PM's sent to those who asked.

I think you need to get to the RIGHT people.

Higher Level Tech Support - Mine is on the way as are OTHERS.

UNLESS you get to TECH Support in CA - you are STILL at the WRONG LEVEL.
post #141 of 432 Old 04-09-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

After talking to lvl 3 support, they told me that now, since the service centers have the kits, they are NOT sending them out to customers.

If you got a number/contact to someone above Level 3? I'd love to talk to them.
post #142 of 432 Old 04-09-2012, 03:18 PM

Having already done the upgrade myself, I don't understand what KIT Epson needs to send out. It sounds dumb that a KIT needs to get sent out.

For me, all that was provided was a link to download a ZIP'd file which contained the necessary software and instructions to carry out the firmware update.

If you're waiting for a KIT, I don't see what they could possibly need to send you as all you need is the software and instructions while you provide the necessary hardware. I would be asking Espon for a link to download the required software as nothing more is required.
post #143 of 432 Old 04-09-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStanic View Post

For me, all that was provided was a link to download a ZIP'd file which contained the necessary software and instructions to carry out the firmware update.

I AGREE - All I need is the FW and Instructions and the Links to the TWO
programs you need to install on the PC first.
post #144 of 432 Old 04-09-2012, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Mstanic:

Would you be willing to share the firmware update?
post #145 of 432 Old 04-09-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Some kind of micro USB cable is needed??
post #146 of 432 Old 04-09-2012, 06:04 PM

A mini-USB cable:

post #147 of 432 Old 04-09-2012, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 36
My FW update observations

1. When you put the projector in download mode, the lamp and fan are off, which is nice.
2. I had to use a USB2 port. A standard USB port wouldn't recognize the Epson.
3. Load the provided USB driver first or the driver will not be found when you connect the cable to the projector.

4. After installing the uploader SW, run the .bat file as instructed before starting the uploader program.

Once the update process is started, it takes about 30 seconds or less for the upload to complete.

All settings were retained.
I was on ver 1.00 prior to this update.

Actually pretty simple as long as you make sure the USB cable does not come disconnected.

Thanks to the member who made the FW file available.

post #148 of 432 Old 04-09-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpete12 View Post

Mstanic:

Would you be willing to share the firmware update?

Drpete12, sent ya a PM

Thanks for the included observations of your experience 42Plasmaman! Appreciate it. USB2 then huh, interesting.
post #149 of 432 Old 04-09-2012, 08:51 PM

Mine worked okay with an ancient Dell laptop running W98 and one regular USB port, not USB2.

The key is to load the 2 software programs first on your laptop.

Then, turn the power button off on the projector and connect the mini usb cable from laptop to projector.

Nothing will happen when you make this connection, this is normal.

Now, turn the projector ON using the "download mode" sequence to turn it ON. Read the instructions for this, very simple.

Once it comes on in download mode, your laptop should automatically begin the detection of the virtual com port driver. Follow the onscreen prompts, as per the instructions to acknowledge the messages, and this will create an Epson virtual com port in device manager.

Go into device manager and take note of the exact virtual com port that the driver is using (in my case it was COM4).

You will need to know this so that you can set the program to use COM4 (or whatever COMx was detected on your PC). Follow instructions for setting the COM port.

You will also probably get a message "vbmcom32.ocx does not exist" when trying to run the program IDOL for the first time. If you get this, go into the folder of the program and run "install.bat". Once this is run, relaunch IDOL and it will come up okay.

When you begin the firmware update, it will tell you to turn the projector on in download mode. This was the weird part as the instructions did not indicate this exactly. Turn off the projector at that point BUT turn it back ON using the download mode procedure.

At that point, just hit start again to begin the download process which takes but a few seconds and you are done. You just need to power off the projector for about 10 seconds (give it a minute to be safe) and then turn it back ON.
post #150 of 432 Old 04-09-2012, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

So those who have done the firmware update to 104 can you comment on any differences you notice in behavior of dynamic iris? Does screen still look green at startup? Also, are people setting their dynamic iris to normal or fast?

I know someone above mentioned their firmware-updated 5010/6010 looking sharper on both 2D and 3D but don't see anything in release notes that should cause that, anyone else seeing increased sharpness?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson 5010 E Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector With Wirelesshd

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page