Update for the epson tw9000(5010) is ready - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 432 Old 04-10-2012, 01:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would different regions (countries) require different firmware versions? I'm thinking they would.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 432 Old 04-10-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I do not own this years Epson but I have updated Epsons in the past using the 232 port.
They seem to have made it easier with the USB port this year. I don't see any reason why one could not use Windows 7 with the update. I guess Epson just did not test Windows 7 with the update. The procedures should be the same except I would expect that windows 7 might ask for administrator install and may have a few pop ups asking to allow upgrade. I have done many upgrades using Windows 7 even though XP have been suggested and have never had a problem.
post #153 of 432 Old 04-10-2012, 06:48 AM

Liked: 14
Maybe the driver (USB to COM) is not signed for Win7 and it will reject its installation.
post #154 of 432 Old 04-10-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by MStanic View Post

Mine worked okay with an ancient Dell laptop running W98 and one regular USB port, not USB2.

The key is to load the 2 software programs first on your laptop.

Then, turn the power button off on the projector and connect the mini usb cable from laptop to projector.

Nothing will happen when you make this connection, this is normal.

Now, turn the projector ON using the "download mode" sequence to turn it ON. Read the instructions for this, very simple.

Once it comes on in download mode, your laptop should automatically begin the detection of the virtual com port driver. Follow the onscreen prompts, as per the instructions to acknowledge the messages, and this will create an Epson virtual com port in device manager.

Go into device manager and take note of the exact virtual com port that the driver is using (in my case it was COM4).

You will need to know this so that you can set the program to use COM4 (or whatever COMx was detected on your PC). Follow instructions for setting the COM port.

You will also probably get a message "vbmcom32.ocx does not exist" when trying to run the program IDOL for the first time. If you get this, go into the folder of the program and run "install.bat". Once this is run, relaunch IDOL and it will come up okay.

When you begin the firmware update, it will tell you to turn the projector on in download mode. This was the weird part as the instructions did not indicate this exactly. Turn off the projector at that point BUT turn it back ON using the download mode procedure.

At that point, just hit start again to begin the download process which takes but a few seconds and you are done. You just need to power off the projector for about 10 seconds (give it a minute to be safe) and then turn it back ON.

I must of missed that part or did not see the requirement.
I only put the projector in download mode at the beginning when the com port driver is loaded/detected.

Not sure if turning off the projector & putting it back into download mode right before the FW upload is ideal since that will uninstall the Epson com port, which may do something unpredictable to the uploader program since the com port no longer exists until you turn it back on.

post #155 of 432 Old 04-10-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

I must of missed that part or did not see the requirement.
I only put the projector in download mode at the beginning when the com port driver is loaded/detected.

Not sure if turning off the projector & putting it back into download mode right before the FW upload is ideal since that will uninstall the Epson com port, which may do something unpredictable to the uploader program since the com port no longer exists until you turn it back on.

I did not expect to have to put it into download mode a second time, just the first time. This is where my process deviated from the instructions. When I started the firmware process, it came back asking me to put into download mode even though the projector was already in download mode as this is the only way that it detects the drivers for the virtual com port driver. If your firmware download begins, as I was expecting mine to, without the added message to put it into download mode again then just carry on and it should complete. However, watch out for what happened to me whereby it asked for me to put it into download mode a second time right after instructing the software to begin the download process initially. If this happens to you, just turn off your projector and turn it back ON using the download mode sequence to power it back up. At this point, I don't recall if it needed to find the COM port driver again or not but just wait a few seconds to make sure your laptop doesn't need to re-detect the virtual com port driver again. After that, just hit start download again and it should go through and complete okay as mine did.
post #156 of 432 Old 04-10-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Kit showed up today via FedEx!
post #157 of 432 Old 04-10-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

Kit showed up today via FedEx!

Can you let us know what is included in the "kit?"
post #158 of 432 Old 04-10-2012, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozer19 View Post

Can you let us know what is included in the "kit?"

I got my KIT today.

It has instructions

A CD

and USB Cable

and a RETURN Envelop to send it back
post #159 of 432 Old 04-10-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98
So those who have done the firmware update to 104 can you comment on any differences you notice in behavior of dynamic iris? Does screen still look green at startup? Also, are people setting their dynamic iris to normal or fast?

I know someone above mentioned their firmware-updated 5010/6010 looking sharper on both 2D and 3D but don't see anything in release notes that should cause that, anyone else seeing increased sharpness?
bump
post #160 of 432 Old 04-10-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

Sent ya a PM.

While I have the utmost confidence that Epson will eventually send the upgrade kit in my direction (perhaps after some others use their return envelopes), I would appreciate a sooner rather than later solution.

I too have spent many turns in the trenches of computers and software development, my hair is grey and my hands scarred from upgrades long past...

Please...
post #161 of 432 Old 04-10-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So those who have done the firmware update to 104 can you comment on any differences you notice in behavior of dynamic iris? Does screen still look green at startup? Also, are people setting their dynamic iris to normal or fast?

I know someone above mentioned their firmware-updated 5010/6010 looking sharper on both 2D and 3D but don't see anything in release notes that should cause that, anyone else seeing increased sharpness?

I seen no difference in the green haze boot up.

To really know if there is an improvement in PQ, you would have to sample some movies/scenes using the current FW and try to look closely/review at some points/location that may not look sharp.

Then load the new FW and compare.
The only true way to really tell is have 2 projectors(one with old and one with new FW) and compare.

I fired up the Iron Man blu-ray, scanned through some scenes and it looks the same.

Have't tested any 3D.

The Iris still has the rumble(mouse feet) sound when going from a full open to close.
This can only be heard if there is no sound like between previews.

post #162 of 432 Old 04-10-2012, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What is the actual connection? If memory serves there is no USB on the projector. I only recall a rs232 port. I'd there a mini USB I didn't notice?
post #163 of 432 Old 04-10-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpete12 View Post

What is the actual connection? If memory serves there is no USB on the projector. I only recall a rs232 port. I'd there a mini USB I didn't notice?

You have to take a phillips screwdriver to the back where the screw is holding a little swing down latch intact. Loosen it a bit and it will allow you to move the latch and the mini usb port is underneath it.
post #164 of 432 Old 04-10-2012, 03:08 PM

So what is everybody doing to calibrate their 6010. I don't do anything except make sure focus looks good on the blue square pattern and set it to THX mode for 2D and 3D. I don't bother with anything else and it looks pretty amazing to me. Then again, in 2D I don't think we're getting anything really superior over my previous projector (Panny 4000). At least to my eyes, the only advantage is in the 3D mode for me. Otherwise, this was a parallel move for me with respect to 2D. Yes, some will prefer one over the other for 2D but the difference (slight to me) does not make one better than the other in 2D, just personal preference.

Back to the calibration, anybody doing anything that I'm missing beside focus and picking a mode?
post #165 of 432 Old 04-10-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbrisbin View Post

While I have the utmost confidence that Epson will eventually send the upgrade kit in my direction (perhaps after some others use their return envelopes), I would appreciate a sooner rather than later solution.

And then I looked outside and FedEx left me a package, too!

So, no need for a workaround. Thanks.
post #166 of 432 Old 04-10-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
The UPDATE was Easy.

The HARD part was I had to take a Windows 7 Ultimate machine
and turn it BACK into a Windows XP Machine - That ate up most
of my time
post #167 of 432 Old 04-11-2012, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mission accomplished on the firmware 104 upgrade on my 6010 that was at version 100.
post #168 of 432 Old 04-11-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mission accomplished on the firmware 104 upgrade on my 6010 that was at version 100.

What was the exact name of your FW file?

post #169 of 432 Old 04-11-2012, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello,

Is there any kind soul around here I can PM so as to get that latest TW9000 firmware?

Thank you

BTW: Do the 6010 (US) and the 9000 (EU) use the same firmware?
post #170 of 432 Old 04-11-2012, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

Drpete12, sent ya a PM

Thanks for the included observations of your experience 42Plasmaman! Appreciate it. USB2 then huh, interesting.

Hi jnabq,

Would you be willing to share the firmware update to me also? Thanks in advance. I would like to do the update by myself other than 2~3 weeks waitting of local dealer in house service. I think this update is a easy thing for me.

And thanks you all for these useful update infos!!!
post #171 of 432 Old 04-11-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrips View Post

Hello,

Is there any kind soul around here I can PM so as to get that latest TW9000 firmware?

Thank you

The pdf includes instructions regarding the hardware/software requirements that state,

1.3 Applicable projectors
Apply firmware version V104 as needed to all;
PowerLite Pro Cinema 6010
PowerLite Home Cinema 5010/5010e series projectors

There is no mention of it being applicable to the TW9000, or other European models, so you might want to check with Epson and make sure they use the same FW.

PM sent to wei-wei
post #172 of 432 Old 04-11-2012, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by john2910 View Post

Today i did the update.

Mijn firmware was before the update 101.

And now its 104.

The iris is much smoother in the picture.

ALso the 3d seems to be more fluid.(less choppy)

Tonight i do some more testing i dont have much time now

I only watched a couple off minutes.

Hello,

Is it a 9000? Should be if you are in Germany.
Do you have the firmware in your possession?
Would you mind to share?

Thanks
post #173 of 432 Old 04-11-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
The 104 firmware update is really pretty simple and I just don't quite understand the "kit" that Epson seems to sending or the secrecy. It really is just 2 small programs (usb driver and com port) along with the actual firmware file and a pdf of how-to. I did find one error in the pdf in my personal install:

Epson mostly does a good job describing the process along with really good photos of the sequence. However, the instructions say to put the PJ in "download" mode and then connect the usb cable. With my old Toshiba laptop (I knew I kept it for a reason), that won't work - I had to reverse that order and plug the usb in first, THEN turn on the PJ in download mode. It instantly recognized the connection and the rest of the download process was dirt simple. It took about 1:15 secs to download, then a simple check to verify the update. All went smoothly, though I haven't actually watched anything yet to see any changes.

Bottom line for me, the update is relatively painless if you have an old XP machine (mine was usb 1.0 only) and just follow the instructions. Whether it works on a Vista/7 machine in XP mode, I don't know. It takes longer to read than do. "Kit"? Really? Sure did beat a trip to the service center and watch them fumble with something they've never seen before - and pray they had an old XP machine to do it with.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #174 of 432 Old 04-11-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrips View Post

Hello,

Thank you

I think they might be region specific, the documentation only mentions the US models. Has anyone got their hands on the EU (9000) firmware version?
post #175 of 432 Old 04-11-2012, 11:12 PM

No sign of this FW update in Russia unfortunately, so the only chance if any generous person would be so kind to share it.
post #176 of 432 Old 04-12-2012, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Finally was able to borrow a laptop and updated my 6010. The instructions state to install the IDOL and EMPUSB programs, then to put the pj into download mode near beginning of the process, before actually setting up the usb connection? Now I'm not sure if that's correct, but 1 member, (Mstanic?) seemed to do it in that order, maybe resulting in having to power off, and then redo the download mode sequence?

It seemed to me that making an electrical connection, with the pj in this mode, seemed a little strange. I opted to first, install the programs on the laptop and running the install.bat file, switch off the electric power to the pj, and then making the usb connection. Then I started the pj up in download mode, checking for the proper light sequence.

The computer went through the "found new hardware", installed the programs, and then I checked the device manager to insure the port was seen by the laptop making a note of the number that was assigned.

The rest is pretty cut and dried, testing the port, and then setting it. Then selecting the file to install, (maybe 60 secs) and after it's done, cut the electrical power to the pj, unplug the usb cable, and waited 40 secs, (to be sure), so it cycles out of download mode. Selected the electrical power switch to on, and then wait for the blue "ready" light and then turned on the pj.

It did fix the backward alignment menu, but I haven't got around to watch much content, to see if I notice any other differences. I swear it appears sharper though, noticing while I was readjusting the alignment on the screen? Maybe just wishful thinking? My experience.

Oh, and btw, I was able to do the update while it was still mounted, but I did remove the cable cover to give easier access to the electrical power switch and the mini usb port. Remove the 2 thumb screws on the cover and it should rotate right off.
post #177 of 432 Old 04-12-2012, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuk_I_Gek View Post

No sign of this FW update in Russia unfortunately, so the only chance if any generous person would be so kind to share it.

Maybe there are some owners that have other versions of this projector, TW9000 for example, that took the risk and tried the FW update. I'm sure some others would like to know your experiences and how it worked out, good or bad.

PM's sent to xtrips, and Chuk_I_Gek
post #178 of 432 Old 04-12-2012, 05:35 AM

Hi all
I have the European version TW9000W.
I'm willing to test the U.S. firmware version. Here in my country they are not willing to update my projector without further reason.
They will only do it if I have a real problem with the projector.
What a service.
But if there is a kind soul who will pm it to me. So I will try it this weekend.

Sincerely Miro.
post #179 of 432 Old 04-12-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond61 View Post

The update brings an improved programming of the IRIS membrane.

The iris still has the same settings: Off, Normal and Fast.
I use Fast.
I did some testing of the iris last night and did notice that it's now quieter.
It still has a slight rummble when it goes from a bright to completely black picture but it's definitely a lot quieter.

The Super Resolution now makes adjustments on the lower scale but you will need to display a text/focus calibration still picture to see the fine adjustments.
When you get to around 3 and higher, you can start seeing ringing around the text.

The PQ to me looks the same before and after the 1.04 update on 2D movies.

post #180 of 432 Old 04-12-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the observations Plasmaman, hope to check out some 3D this weekend to see if I notice the smoother picture some have mentioned.

PM sent to Mirodk
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson 5010 E Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector With Wirelesshd

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page