Will I notice a difference? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-20-2012, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My room is completely light controlled, however the walls and ceiling are not black. My theater will be in my garage, which is demensions 20ftx20ftx20ft. I'm not too interested in 3D, but I could be swayed to give it a shot, and am trying to decide between a BenQ W6000, W7000, Sony HW30, JVC RS20, RS40, or RS45. Price between these isn't an issue too much. The cheaper the better, but I'll wait until I can find one for a used price that I like if the more expensive ones are truly worth the increase. The only one that is significantly cheaper is the W6000.

The room is huge and I can control all the lights, however the reflections bare drywall colored walls are making me wonder whether I'll notice the advantage of the JVC black levels over these other great black level projectors. My screen is a DIY black widow which is an N9 grey with a gain of .9.

I watch movies 70%, game 20% and watch tv 10%. I really want those deep blacks since I love my Star Wars and sci-fi/space movies, but I don't know if I'll notice a difference between the BenQ, the Sony, and the JVC. I'm currently using a junky little business projector, so any increase will be noticed, but I'd like to get the best bang for my buck and make sure I don't spend too much (JVC) for blacks that I won't be able to see because of my walls. I also like the Sony's cheaper and better bulbs over the other brands here.

Any thoughts or ideas? I won't be able to see many of these in action so I'll simply have to go off what I hear here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 23
What technology have you seen? What size, gain, aspect ration screen are you thinking of running? The W6000 is a light cannon and throws a very nice picture, not with black levels of the JVC, but respectable. It is also a fraction of the cost too.
The more information you give, the more responses you will get. Ceiling height may also be a factor also.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpro View Post

What technology have you seen? What size, gain, aspect ration screen are you thinking of running? The W6000 is a light cannon and throws a very nice picture, not with black levels of the JVC, but respectable. It is also a fraction of the cost too.
The more information you give, the more responses you will get. Ceiling height may also be a factor also.

I've seen the W6000 and an Epson 8350 at Frys, but neither were calibrated and there were ambient lights on so I couldn't get a real good idea of what each is like. I have a friend who has a dedicated theater with a JVC model that's around 5 years old, I'd guess, but I'm not sure which model it is. It's 1080p. Very nice picture but I haven't been to his place in a while so I don't really remember what it looked like. I'm going to try to find some places with each of these models so I can compare the difference, but I'm not sure how easy that will be since most places near me don't have good light controlled theater rooms to demo in.

The W6000 would be my preference of these since I'm not affected by the rainbow effect (very much at least) and it's the cheapest. I'm just worried that it won't have very good black levels compared to what I'd like (I have a Sammy plasma in another room that has incredible blacks but I'm not sure how close any of these pj's will get to that).

I have a 120" 2.40:1 screen that is 0.9 gain, N9 grey. I have yet to mount the projector, but it will be ceiling mounted such that I get optimal brightness for the 2.40:1 ratio, which will give me LOTS of brightness at 16:9, meaning I could probably switch to low lamp mode when viewing 16:9 content. I'll be using the manual zoom method to switch between 16:9 and 2.40:1, so the pj will have to be mounted at a height within my reach (I'll probably use some ridiculously long pole to extend down from the ceiling to a reasonable height). If I can't mount it within reach, then it will have to have motorized zoom and focus.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:26 PM

Liked: 10
Buy the Sony HW-30...(There!...Your done.) Best all round and 3D to boot.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Would be happy to talk about the pros and cons of your choices. Just give us a call. It would also help if you listed what material you like to watch, movies, sports, what about gaming?

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 03-20-2012, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I love my RS20 on a 120" 16:9 of a smidge more (but probably not noticeable) gain of 1.1, at least that's what they say. But I haven't seen the others. BTW, that 20' cubed size is going to be a real challenge for your audio system.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Would be happy to talk about the pros and cons of your choices. Just give us a call. It would also help if you listed what material you like to watch, movies, sports, what about gaming?

Sounds good. I didn't want to call and waste your time since you don't carry a number of the pj's I'm looking at, but since you asked...

Here's the breakdown of my usage (different than what I posted above):
60% movies: Everything but my favorites are Star Wars, How to Train Your Dragon, and Black Hawk Down. A pretty good mix of sci-fi/space, adventure, and action and I really like those deep blacks for night scenes and space scenes.
30% tv: soccer, football, tennis, basketball, others. I HATE motion blur and jitteryness on sports, especially panning when watching soccer. I don't like to turn the lights out too much when watching sports so I may darken my screen a few shades and I'd like a PJ that has enough lumens to light up the screen on game day. It doesn't need to be perfect color and super deep blacks, but I'd like to be able to see the picture decently. I can accept some washout from the lights.
10% gaming: mostly Battlefield, FIFA, and racing games (OH, and Mario Party!). I have a CRT for when I need zero lag so the projector is only when I want maximum epicness, not online competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

I love my RS20 on a 120" 16:9 of a smidge more (but probably not noticeable) gain of 1.1, at least that's what they say. But I haven't seen the others. BTW, that 20' cubed size is going to be a real challenge for your audio system.

I can't imagine a difference of 0.2 gain will be all that noticeable. How do you like the RS20 for content with lots of motion, especially sports? JVC's so I've read aren't great for HDTV and the motion in sports due to slow LCOS panels.

As for audio, I'm a bit scared to see what's going to happen. Luckily it's not going to be a dedicated theater room, but I'd like to get it as close as possible. I'll probably be placing the whole theater setup off-center so that I can minimize my issues with room reflections and modes. Wish me luck on the acoustic treatment... bass traps galore!

What I like in a movie (ranked):
1) Color and pop (2d looks like 3d). I love accurate, vibrant colors, which probably also comes from a bright screen. I'm not sure how many fL's though, but many movie theaters are too dark for my tastes. They just don't seem to pop enough.
2) Black levels. I hate grey blacks and unfortunately have a plasma to compare against.
3) "Film Look." I want it to look like it does in the theater, but a little brighter. I'm not a sharpness freak and think movies actually look good with a little of that film softness to them. However, for sports I like it as sharp as possible.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosteh View Post

60% movies: Everything but my favorites are Star Wars, How to Train Your Dragon, and Black Hawk Down. A pretty good mix of sci-fi/space, adventure, and action and I really like those deep blacks for night scenes and space scenes.
30% tv: soccer, football, tennis, basketball, others. I HATE motion blur and jitteryness on sports, especially panning when watching soccer. I don't like to turn the lights out too much when watching sports so I may darken my screen a few shades and I'd like a PJ that has enough lumens to light up the screen on game day. It doesn't need to be perfect color and super deep blacks, but I'd like to be able to see the picture decently. I can accept some washout from the lights.
10% gaming: mostly Battlefield, FIFA, and racing games (OH, and Mario Party!). I have a CRT for when I need zero lag so the projector is only when I want maximum epicness, not online competition.

AVS sells the W7000, HW30, Epson 5010 and the RS45.

That's a nice size screen with no gain, so 3D is going to be tough on any of these models with the exception of the Epson 5010 which has a ~2000 lumen torch mode. Colors are off a bit, but it's watchable and bright. It also has the highest lumen output for 'living room mode' for watching TV with ambient light in the room.

The 5010 and HW30 have similar black levels with some advantage to the Epson, but neither are going to be quite like the JVC on a movie like Underworld.

The HW30 is overall very good for movies, sports & 3D. The black level is going to be much better than the W6000 or the Epson 8350 that you saw. Lag time is ~20-30MS, the best of this particular group. The 5010 should also be a strong consideration since it has the excellent 'torch' modes for ambient light viewing and bright 3D.

click on the link in my signature, we did a little shootout against a number of these projectors your are looking at. Each projector has unique pros/cons, you'll have to figure out which set of features is the best option for your setup.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Judging by your CRT ownership and the mention of on/off cr as most important, I would say the JVC.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
Old 03-20-2012, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

AVS sells the W7000, HW30, Epson 5010 and the RS45.

That's a nice size screen with no gain, so 3D is going to be tough on any of these models with the exception of the Epson 5010 which has a ~2000 lumen torch mode. Colors are off a bit, but it's watchable and bright. It also has the highest lumen output for 'living room mode' for watching TV with ambient light in the room.

The 5010 and HW30 have similar black levels with some advantage to the Epson, but neither are going to be quite like the JVC on a movie like Underworld.

The HW30 is overall very good for movies, sports & 3D. The black level is going to be much better than the W6000 or the Epson 8350 that you saw. Lag time is ~20-30MS, the best of this particular group. The 5010 should also be a strong consideration since it has the excellent 'torch' modes for ambient light viewing and bright 3D.

click on the link in my signature, we did a little shootout against a number of these projectors your are looking at. Each projector has unique pros/cons, you'll have to figure out which set of features is the best option for your setup.

I really could care less about 3D. It usually just gives me headaches, so let's not factor that into the decision here. If I really want it, I'll get a high gain screen someday.

How much of a difference is there between the Epson and Sony black levels vs the JVC? Is it something where there's a noticeable grey tint to the blacks on deep space scenes on the Sony/Epson? I know JVC's are great for blacks, but nowhere near me has one to compare to.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can't imagine a difference of 0.2 gain will be all that noticeable. How do you like the RS20 for content with lots of motion, especially sports? JVC's so I've read aren't great for HDTV and the motion in sports due to slow LCOS panels.

Agree on the gain. Not only that, but my screen's 1.1 gain is probably pretty optimistic, being an AT screen. And, yes, the JVC does have "judder". That is probably the single issue that will cause me to upgrade someday.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Agree on the gain. Not only that, but my screen's 1.1 gain is probably pretty optimistic, being an AT screen. And, yes, the JVC does have "judder". That is probably the single issue that will cause me to upgrade someday.

Have you seen any of the Sony offerings? How do the blacks on the RS20 compare if you have?

Old 03-21-2012, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you seen any of the Sony offerings? How do the blacks on the RS20 compare if you have?

Not in any light-controlled situation, and that's what it would take. I'd really have to see them side-by-side in my theater to know for sure. I went with the JVC for the blacks without DI. But DI's are really good these days, so that's not as big an issue. I also wanted a 3D CMS. I was tired of running into color compromises... luminance vs. saturation and all that.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Sounds good. I didn't want to call and waste your time since you don't carry a number of the pj's I'm looking at, but since you asked...

As for audio, I'm a bit scared to see what's going to happen. Luckily it's not going to be a dedicated theater room, but I'd like to get it as close as possible. I'll probably be placing the whole theater setup off-center so that I can minimize my issues with room reflections and modes. Wish me luck on the acoustic treatment... bass traps galore!

What I like in a movie (ranked):
1) Color and pop (2d looks like 3d). I love accurate, vibrant colors, which probably also comes from a bright screen. I'm not sure how many fL's though, but many movie theaters are too dark for my tastes. They just don't seem to pop enough.
2) Black levels. I hate grey blacks and unfortunately have a plasma to compare against.
3) "Film Look." I want it to look like it does in the theater, but a little brighter. I'm not a sharpness freak and think movies actually look good with a little of that film softness to them. However, for sports I like it as sharp as possible.

We are a dealer for every brand that you listed in your first post. If you would like for me to get into specifics regarding what projector and why, shoot me an email.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 03-21-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I really could care less about 3D. It usually just gives me headaches, so let's not factor that into the decision here. If I really want it, I'll get a high gain screen someday.

How much of a difference is there between the Epson and Sony black levels vs the JVC? Is it something where there's a noticeable grey tint to the blacks on deep space scenes on the Sony/Epson? I know JVC's are great for blacks, but nowhere near me has one to compare to.

understood on the 3D, that makes it easier to recommend the JVC. I have the RS55, HW30 and the 5010. When it comes to the dark sci-fi or quality 2D BD's, I'll go for the JVC first.

Looking at your criteria for movies and black level, the RS45 is likely the best way to go. I think most people will be satisfied the the blacks on the HW30 and 5010, but the JVC's are just that much better for those with a critical eye.

quick summary:

RS45 - sharp, best in class black levels & contrast. Good for TV and Sports, slower 120hz panels, lamps are a bit expensive and some lamps have a history of dimming before their time is due but JVC has been swapping them for customers if needed. ~900 lumens calibrated which is plenty for that screen size, but not great for ambient light viewing.

HW30 - very good black levels, excellent for TV and Sports, 240 hz panels and the best FI of the current models. Lamps are cheap and have been the most reliable of the current models, use it like a TV, why not with lamps this cheap. ~900 lumens calibrated, also not great for ambient light viewing on a 120" screen with negative gain. Best gaming lag times of the 3 projectors. 3 year warranty vs 2 for the others.

Epson 5010 - very good(+) black levels, excellent for TV and Sports, 480hz panels and good FI. Lamps are priced in between the Sony and JVC, no reported early dimming so far. ~2000 lumens in the living room torch mode, very good with ambient light viewing.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

HW30 - Lamps are cheap and have been the most reliable of the current models

I don't know man. Have you been over to the HW30 thread lately?
Old 03-21-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoHo View Post

I don't know man. Have you been over to the HW30 thread lately?

I have, I know a few people had some issues. I haven't heard anything in the 95 thread or the french site which has a lot of HW30 owners. UHP lamps are going to fail, 2-3 people with an issue isn't the same as what we saw with the JVC's last year.

I'd personally rather replace a ~200 lamp vs one that is twice the price. Any UHP lamp can fail early which is why I always have spares. The Sony is the easiest to swallow price wise.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:43 PM

For me that's the killer with the new JVC units, lamp costs. I don't mind paying a bit more for the pj, but the lamps to me are so expensive, that I'll end up babying it. Which I don't want to do and be thinking of costs whenever I hv it on. That's why I'm going to go for a 2nd hand HD750, albeit risky with no warranty, and 3D ain't a big deal to me. The lamps are cheaper and you hv the Diamond lamps, which to date hv seem to be performing.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

I have, I know a few people had some issues. I haven't heard anything in the 95 thread or the french site which has a lot of HW30 owners. UHP lamps are going to fail, 2-3 people with an issue isn't the same as what we saw with the JVC's last year.

And just a quick reality check... 2 or 3 people on AVS bringing up an issues is nothing! I'm not downplaying these specific issues... heck, it might even happen to me... but keep in mind people are going to write about problems much more often than saying how great everything is.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATE!

I just got back from a longish trip driving around to AV stores around me to see units in action and here are my thoughts:

First location: Definitive Audio, Bellevue, WA
They had a Runco LS-3 on display, but said they can also get an LS-1. These are out of my price range, but still fun to see and interesting to wonder about the difference between those and other 1 chip DLP's like the BenQ. Blacks were very good, as in I couldn't really notice any significant issues with being washed out or too grey. The picture looked just like the theater, though smaller and brighter. I was watching The Dark Knight. Only complaint is that I think some of the shadow detail could have been better, but that may have also just been the way the footage was shot. Lots of pop and fun to watch factor.

Note: The sales rep said something odd. He said that by nature, DLP's have the best blacks in the industry because they can completely shut off individual pixels, not something LCD or LCOS can do. Based on what I have read here, he is very wrong, but I didn't want to be an ass and question him. Can anyone comment on what he said?

All the other projectors they had there were even more out of my budget so I didn't bother looking, but I figure I might be able to find a used LS-1 or LS-3 in my price range.

Second stop: Magnolia A/V, Bellevue, WA
Sales rep was a great guy. Fun, young, and understood what I was trying to do with my setup. Also no pressure to purchase from either company, which was nice. Anyway, they had a DLA-X30/RS-45 on display, along with an Epson 5010 which I didn't see. Picture also looked great and I tried to scrutinize blacks, but honestly I couldn't tell a difference between the RS-45 and the Runco and doubt I could notice a difference if both were watching the same content. They were both very good. The movies were also different, but Magnolia is only across the street from Definitive, so the Runco was still fresh in my head. I thought each looked incredible. When the sales rep switched to a super dark credits screen with the RS-45, there were deep blacks, but no more so than I could find with the Runco. I then tried the RS-45 with some sports and it seemed to do fine. I couldn't find any super annoying jitter, but the Runco was smoother and crisper. Overall I think I like the DLP look better.

Last stop: Frys Electronics, Renton, WA
Frys had two models on display, the Epson 8350 and the BenQ W6000. Unfortunately, their sales guy wasn't the Home Theater specialist and didn't really know how to control the theater, so getting the projectors setup was a bit of a task. He also wasn't able to turn off the already-dimmed lights in the room. Frustrating, as the W6000 is the cheapest and also DLP, which I like, though I doubt I could really tell the difference between DLP and LCOS side by side if both are good projectors. Anyhoo, here are my opinions. The W6000 looked really good and bright, even though there was ambient light. The 8350, not so much, but that is to be expected. I wasn't able to compare black levels since the lights weren't out, but the W6000 showed a bit more shadow detail. I'm beginning to think that I prefer great shadow detail over super inky blacks. I can always make my screen a shade or two darker to get deeper blacks, but I can't gain shadow detail that simply isn't there to start with. I hate seeing a dark suit jacket in the shade and having the whole thing look like a deep black space. I like to be able to pick out the little creases, even when they're super black. This is why I love my plasma which has great, not the best, blacks, but also very good shadow detail.

I wish I could see the Sony in person since it gets such great reviews, but I'm thinking I may not need to. Given how much I liked the Runco, I'm wondering if one of the BenQ DLP's (or another DLP) would be a better choice for me. The W6000 is scorchingly affordable, the W7000 isn't too far off, and both offer really good pictures from what I've heard. I'm not sure how their black levels compare to the Runco or other super high end DLP's, but based on Art's reviews on projectorreviews.com, the Runco's are just like any other ultra high contrast DLP: very good blacks, but not JVC. That said, many complain that the JVC's lack shadow detail, which, after my driving around today, I think now falls second in priority to shadow detail. These all have such great blacks that I doubt I'd notice a difference.

Any thoughts? Another reason to go for the W6000/W7000 is that it is just so incredibly bright that I would have no problem with ambient light for sports and that I could also simply get an even bigger screen. I can only imagine watching Avatar on a 150" screen... One thing I do love about Sony's, however, is that their bulbs are SO cheap that I really could use it like a TV. BenQ is a bit more pricey and lacking on the warranty side.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

The shadow detail has more to do with the gamma settings than anything else.
It takes spending time with one particular projector in order to train your eye to see the differences. It's tough judging in store settings as well.

The w6000 is your best bet if you really like the look of DLP in this price range.
Once you've spent some time with it or another projector. It will be easy to see the difference in contrast/black levels between these projectors.
If I'd allowed my viewing of JVC at a magnolia store to be the deciding factor in what to purchase. I wouldn't own one now.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

unless you can compare them side by side with the same content in a completely light controlled room, it's nearly impossible to judge the black levels on the various projectors. All the projectors must have a basic calibration - the simplest setting can throw off the entire appearance of the image.

In the right environment, none of the DLP's are going to be able to compete with the RS45 in dark scenes.

I was just comparing the W7000 to my RS55 the other day. The W7000 can hold it own with bright scenes and mixed contrast. It's movies like blade, underworld, matrix etc where the JVC quickly distances itself from the others.

The W7000 and the RS45 are both around 900 lumens calibrated to D65. I know you said 3D wasn't an interest, but the W7000 will smoke the JVC in 3D.

The W6000 deal @ fryes is a steal if you're not RBE sensitive and don't want the 3D. The black level is going to be noticeably better than the business projector which are usually awful, but the JVC will take it that much further in a dark room.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:42 PM

this is really interesting
Old 03-21-2012, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

unless you can compare them side by side with the same content in a completely light controlled room, it's nearly impossible to judge the black levels on the various projectors. All the projectors must have a basic calibration - the simplest setting can throw off the entire appearance of the image.

In the right environment, none of the DLP's are going to be able to compete with the RS45 in dark scenes.

I was just comparing the W7000 to my RS55 the other day. The W7000 can hold it own with bright scenes and mixed contrast. It's movies like blade, underworld, matrix etc where the JVC quickly distances itself from the others.

The W7000 and the RS45 are both around 900 lumens calibrated to D65. I know you said 3D wasn't an interest, but the W7000 will smoke the JVC in 3D.

The W6000 deal @ fryes is a steal if you're not RBE sensitive and don't want the 3D. The black level is going to be noticeably better than the business projector which are usually awful, but the JVC will take it that much further in a dark room.

How does the W6000 compare to other super amazing DLP's like the Runco I saw? The main thing which I compare against is the movie theaters, which all run 3 chip DLP Christies and Barcos. How does the contrast of those compare to the contrast of the W6000, HW30, and JVC offerings?

Old 03-21-2012, 04:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

In a good room, you could almost get by without a masking system. What I mean, the masking system makes a whole lot less of a difference with the JVC vs other projectors I have had in my room.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How does the W6000 compare to other super amazing DLP's like the Runco I saw? The main thing which I compare against is the movie theaters, which all run 3 chip DLP Christies and Barcos. How does the contrast of those compare to the contrast of the W6000, HW30, and JVC offerings?

the higher end DLP's have a more expensive version of the DLP chip, better lens, better iris, faster color wheel, etc. For the price, the W6000 and W7000 are exceptionally sharp projectors. Black levels will be better than the BenQ, but still not as good as the JVC's.

large theater projectors generally suffer from the same issue as most DLP's, they can't produce the same black floor as the JVC's which when configured in the right environment, is about as close as you can get to a good plasma.

Your N9 Grey screen will definitely help with the black levels if you choose the W6000. The brightness and wow factor of the large 120" could overshadow the Samsung plasma and you could be quite happy with the setup. It's certainly the least expensive option if 3D isn't a concern.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

the higher end DLP's have a more expensive version of the DLP chip, better lens, better iris, faster color wheel, etc. For the price, the W6000 and W7000 are exceptionally sharp projectors. Black levels will be better than the BenQ, but still not as good as the JVC's.

large theater projectors generally suffer from the same issue as most DLP's, they can't produce the same black floor as the JVC's which when configured in the right environment, is about as close as you can get to a good plasma.

Your N9 Grey screen will definitely help with the black levels if you choose the W6000. The brightness and wow factor of the large 120" could overshadow the Samsung plasma and you could be quite happy with the setup. It's certainly the least expensive option if 3D isn't a concern.

I'm thinking I'll just go with a BenQ. Whether I go W6k or 7k I don't know yet, as I'm thinking of adding a passive 3D stack. Since the movie theaters don't have the same unbelievable contrast as JVC, and I'm totally happy with movie theaters, I think I'll just stick with the BenQ. I can always upgrade in the future. However, the small price of the W6000 makes it a great investment for a passive 3D setup if I get hooked on 3D sometime. I just love the way DLP's look. Are there any DLP pj's that are better than the W6000/7000 for between $2k and $3k?

I'm also wondering, what are the calibrated brightness differences of the W6000 and W7000? I've seen differing numbers between different online site reviews and I have no idea which is correct. I've seen the 7000 as low as 900 and as high as 1500.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm thinking I'll just go with a BenQ. Whether I go W6k or 7k I don't know yet, as I'm thinking of adding a passive 3D stack. Since the movie theaters don't have the same unbelievable contrast as JVC, and I'm totally happy with movie theaters, I think I'll just stick with the BenQ. I can always upgrade in the future. However, the small price of the W6000 makes it a great investment for a passive 3D setup if I get hooked on 3D sometime. I just love the way DLP's look. Are there any DLP pj's that are better than the W6000/7000 for between $2k and $3k?

I'm also wondering, what are the calibrated brightness differences of the W6000 and W7000? I've seen differing numbers between different online site reviews and I have no idea which is correct. I've seen the 7000 as low as 900 and as high as 1500.

The Infocus SP8602 looks quite a bit better than the w6000 IMO. Unfortunately these aren't produced anymore.
The w6000 will have a much sharper, much cleaner image than what you see at the theaters.

I went last week to the theaters for the first time in several months. The entire time I was wondering how much better the movie would look at home.
One of my best friends owns the w6000 and enjoys it. He will readily admit that the RS45 simply destroys it in IQ for most 2D viewing. There's more than a little difference between these two..

He watched parts of Avatar on the RS45. There are scenes in this movie he commented never noticing until viewing it on the JVC.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo511 View Post

BTW, that 20' cubed size is going to be a real challenge for your audio system.

I think I hear an echo. Or are you just post padding?

Old 03-22-2012, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

I have a new dilemma. Frys is closing out their stock of W6000's and, after haggling with the sales guy for a bit, he will sell it to me for $850. What do I do!? I was happy with the W6000, even though it apparently doesn't have the same blacks as the JVC. I guess, worst case scenario, I can always sell it on eBay or keep it as a sports-only projector. What do you think? Spring for the W6000 or wait and buy a JVC for closer to $2500?

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw30es 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Benq W6000 1080p Dlp Projector , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com