I might have to say goodbye to my BenQ PE8720...Need advice :( - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-01-2012, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
isamu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: los angeles, CA
Posts: 810
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well guys, it looks like I will finally...FINALLY be forced to upgrade from my BenQ PE8720 720p Projector to a newer model

Here's my dilemma...

I have been the proud owner of a BenQ PE8720 for the past 8 years or so. This unit has been delivering years of enjoyment for me, and I love the picture.

However, in the past couple of years I have been having issues with it. Yes, I am aware it is a VERY old model, but I have taken it in to BenQ's office for repairs several times for different things(they are local and only about an hours drive from my house). Today I took it in again, because the unit shut down while in use yesterday, and has also been having problems with turning on and then immediately turning off again.

The nice lady at BenQ told me the 8720 is a very old model(duh) and recommended I trade it in for a "similar" model called the W6000. I looked at the W6000 and noticed several differences right away:

A)My PE8720 has automatic Lens shift, Zoom and Focus adjustments, while the W6000 does not(not particularly a deal breaker).

B)The W6000 supports up to 1080p resolution while my PE8720 goes only up to 720p

C)Connections: W6000...2 HDMI, 1 Component and 1 PC/VGA - PE8720...1 HDMI, 1 component, no VGA but has 3 BNC connections. Interesting.

Anyway here's the deal.... They are willing to take my PE8720 and want me to give them an additional $900 in exchange for the W6000. They explained that the technician will probably need to replace a few parts, and that it's going to run me $900 minimum to repair it, and that it "may not be worth it" for the cost + labor.

I realize they want a sale, but I am torn on what to do. I would like you guys to explain how my PE8720 compares to the W6000, ESPECIALLY in terms of picture quality, lens quality, brightness and contrast.

Finally what about the price they are asking? Good deal or ripoff? I told them it was too steep and that maybe I could do it for $850 *IF* I decided to do it.

I will be getting back to them with an answer either Monday or Tuesday.

So what should I do? Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
isamu is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 04-02-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There are things the W6000 does better. Better black levels, 1080p obviously, etc... But the QC of the W6000 is not all that great comparatively. There are several threads on it...

From the price standpoint, another said there are Fry's clearing them out at about the same price...$850. I cannot confirm that, but just pointing it seems to be the going rate regardless of trade.

Jason C. Turk
Technical Support, Customer Service, Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
Direct Line: 585-645-1004
Email: jason@avscience.com

Don't forget my nearly 13,000 posts under my old ID!

AV Science Sales 3 is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 04-02-2012, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
isamu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: los angeles, CA
Posts: 810
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 3 View Post

There are things the W6000 does better. Better black levels, 1080p obviously, etc... But the QC of the W6000 is not all that great comparatively. There are several threads on it...

From the price standpoint, another said there are Fry's clearing them out at about the same price...$850. I cannot confirm that, but just pointing it seems to be the going rate regardless of trade.

I appreciate the reply. I'm kinda backed into the corner on this. To pay $900 in repairs would seem silly. I did enjoy the unit a lot even at 720p though.

When you say "the QC of the W6000 is not all that great comparatively" can you be more specific? What is "QC"? Are you talking about over all picture quality or the build quality?

And wow....this is the first time I've seen someone mention that the W6000 better black levels than the PE8720. Interesting.
isamu is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 04-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mike Butny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Orland Park, Il
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by isamu View Post

I appreciate the reply. I'm kinda backed into the corner on this. To pay $900 in repairs would seem silly. I did enjoy the unit a lot even at 720p though.

When you say "the QC of the W6000 is not all that great comparatively" can you be more specific? What is "QC"? Are you talking about over all picture quality or the build quality?

And wow....this is the first time I've seen someone mention that the W6000 better black levels than the PE8720. Interesting.

I currently own the the PE8700+, W5000, and now the W6000. The W6000 will eat your 8720 alive. You might as well trade your 8720 in, what would u do with a FP that does not work? Just trade it in for a new W6000 with the Warranty. What size screen do u have? The W6000 is a light canon so be carefull, the jump in PQ from the 8720 to W6000 should be huge, u will find yourself watching movies u had for years and now your seeing detail in the image u never seen before.

Mike Butny is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 04-02-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
isamu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: los angeles, CA
Posts: 810
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butny View Post

I currently own the the PE8700+, W5000, and now the W6000. The W6000 will eat your 8720 alive. You might as well trade your 8720 in, what would u do with a FP that does not work? Just trade it in for a new W6000 with the Warranty. What size screen do u have? The W6000 is a light canon so be carefull, the jump in PQ from the 8720 to W6000 should be huge, u will find yourself watching movies u had for years and now your seeing detail in the image u never seen before.

Sounds awesome Mike. I really appreciate your input. I'm getting pretty excited now
isamu is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 04-03-2012, 04:43 PM
emf
Senior Member
 
emf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
@isamu - Mike asked, "What would u do with a FP that does not work?"

I think he's right. Within 8 years, cumulative improvements have happened and you're going to be astounded with the w6000. Happy viewing!
emf is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 04-06-2012, 06:44 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by isamu View Post

I appreciate the reply. I'm kinda backed into the corner on this. To pay $900 in repairs would seem silly. I did enjoy the unit a lot even at 720p though.

When you say "the QC of the W6000 is not all that great comparatively" can you be more specific? What is "QC"? Are you talking about over all picture quality or the build quality?

And wow....this is the first time I've seen someone mention that the W6000 better black levels than the PE8720. Interesting.

Quality as in specifically build quality. We used to do a ton of Benq...back when the 8700, 8720, etc... were out. Those were tanks. Lately they are having more issues with long term performance. It is not a for sure, but the changes are greater (you can see it in various threads).

Jason C. Turk
Technical Support, Customer Service, Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
Direct Line: 585-645-1004
Email: jason@avscience.com

Don't forget my nearly 13,000 posts under my old ID!

AV Science Sales 3 is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 04-06-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
isamu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: los angeles, CA
Posts: 810
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 3 View Post

Quality as in specifically build quality. We used to do a ton of Benq...back when the 8700, 8720, etc... were out. Those were tanks. Lately they are having more issues with long term performance. It is not a for sure, but the changes are greater (you can see it in various threads).

Ahh I see what you mean. Yeah this unit is definitely not the same build quality as my old 8720.

Despite that, my 8720 gave me years of great enjoyment but not without problems. I have had to get the machine serviced NUMEROUS times for different things.....replaced fan, replaced color wheel, and most recently, all of the above in addition to the unit running so damn hot, it actually MELTED the bottom of the casing!

I have a feeling the bulb I was using, which was some bulb I bought off ebay, caused this. Are there certain after market bulbs out there you should avoid buying that could potentially run too hot in your PJ?

Well anyway we'll see how this W6000 goes. One thing I noticed is that this model doesn't use a filter? I don't see one and the can see right in the unit through the vents.
isamu is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 04-06-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
stanger89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 17,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by isamu View Post

I have a feeling the bulb I was using, which was some bulb I bought off ebay, caused this. Are there certain after market bulbs out there you should avoid buying that could potentially run too hot in your PJ?

IMO you should always buy OEM lamps from the manufacturer or a reputable reseller (like AVS). That way you know exactly what you're getting and that it's the right part for your machine. It will cost a little more but you won't have to worry about issues.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
stanger89 is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 04-06-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by isamu View Post

Ahh I see what you mean. Yeah this unit is definitely not the same build quality as my old 8720.

Despite that, my 8720 gave me years of great enjoyment but not without problems. I have had to get the machine serviced NUMEROUS times for different things.....replaced fan, replaced color wheel, and most recently, all of the above in addition to the unit running so damn hot, it actually MELTED the bottom of the casing!

I have a feeling the bulb I was using, which was some bulb I bought off ebay, caused this. Are there certain after market bulbs out there you should avoid buying that could potentially run too hot in your PJ?

Well anyway we'll see how this W6000 goes. One thing I noticed is that this model doesn't use a filter? I don't see one and the can see right in the unit through the vents.

Generic lamps for sure are a touchy subject. Some have luck, but the vast majority usually have issues one way or another. Personally they are not enough cheaper to justify the risk...

Jason C. Turk
Technical Support, Customer Service, Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
Direct Line: 585-645-1004
Email: jason@avscience.com

Don't forget my nearly 13,000 posts under my old ID!

AV Science Sales 3 is offline  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off