Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 50 Old 04-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

As do *you*, probably. Because you don't believe the working conditions the IT and CE stuff *you* bought were manufactured under were any better, do you?

That's right. I'm the one to blame.

Whatever floats your boat.

Scott Stephens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 04-15-2012, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstephen View Post

That's right. I'm the one to blame.

Whatever floats your boat.

Everyone is to blame. Even you.
post #33 of 50 Old 04-16-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 155
....so the laser wars start today at NAB? Sony vs. Red. Hopefully someone gets to check out both and give us all the details.

I can't believe that we will most likely have laser projectors this year. LED DLP had it's time.......
post #34 of 50 Old 04-17-2012, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
We are impatient for laser news from NAB about Sony. RED has spilled some beens in public.

Mattias Ohlson
post #35 of 50 Old 04-17-2012, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Sony is not going to announce any Laser projector at NAB. They have a prototype in collaboration with Laser Light Engines, but it is made for a technical demonstration of Lasers projectors in the future of 3D cinema as part of the "NAB Technology Summit on Cinema conference."

I read somewhere yesterday (but can't find it back) that this for now was a one-off collaboration.
They demoed 3D on a silver screen. Too bad they need silver screens for laser 3D. As we know that silver screens are very bad for 2D and much harder to "despeckle" laser projectors.
In France they have even made a law that forbids public cinemas to show 2D on silver screens.
Here are some (not so interesting) links. Maybe there will be some kind of reports from the NAB Technology Summit on Cinema later.

http://expo.nabshow.com/mynabshow201...SessionID=1781
http://www.pacificmediaassociates.co...cinema-at-nab/
http://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/news...hnology-182995
post #36 of 50 Old 04-17-2012, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I don't' know if it will Make NAB. Until Sony Spills the beans everything will be quite
post #37 of 50 Old 04-17-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

space2001
Do you know of anything sony+laser that is not the technology Sony did with LLE?
For now I will be happy even if the answer is short and yes.

Mattias Ohlson
post #38 of 50 Old 04-17-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Laser for home still may be a bit away from sony, But with Red's announcement it may push it up.

At infocomm there will be more.

The 4k Projector will come down in cost Most Likely to replace the 95. Will be around 10 grand(no lasers in that one). And for Lasers scanning hopefully will be there in june.
post #39 of 50 Old 04-17-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post

Laser for home still may be a bit away from sony, But with Red's announcement it may push it up.

At infocomm there will be more.

The 4k Projector will come down in cost Most Likely to replace the 95. Will be around 10 grand(no lasers in that one). And for Lasers scanning hopefully will be there in june.

Really Your saying that I should be able to buy a 4K Sony this year as a replacement to the 95? That should be well under 10k.

Do you know if it's the 1000 or is it stripped down (lens, electronics, etc)
post #40 of 50 Old 04-17-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

Really Your saying that I should be able to buy a 4K Sony this year as a replacement to the 95? That should be well under 10k.

Do you know if it's the 1000 or is it stripped down (lens, electronics, etc)

I don't know the exact specs yet just know there are demo units floating around, and the projected price is $10,000.
post #41 of 50 Old 04-19-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Guess for lower priced 4K projector
The new 4K panel is bigger at 0.74 compared to the old 1080p part at 0.63.
Sony can not shrink the new 4K part, thus I expect any new 4K projector to bigger than the vw95. You will most certainly get less lumen for 10 grand and likely a lens of lower quality then in vw1000. That is still a good deal for 10 grand if that is for real.

space 2001
Where is Sony showing in June and why do you expect something scanning and not sxrd + lasers which seems more logical.

Mattias Ohlson
post #42 of 50 Old 04-19-2012, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

They may show the Laser projector at infocomm.

Sony has many new things in the works. Laser scanning is one of them.
post #43 of 50 Old 04-19-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I mentioned something about the High Power 6 years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

It looks like you are calling out Kris as well as HT Mag. I don't have the latest issue, so I won't comment on all of your points. I will say that Kris is friends with Darinp2, so I am sure he has been aware of the High Power for a long time.

post #44 of 50 Old 04-19-2012, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryg View Post

I mentioned something about the High Power 6 years ago

Just so I understand, did Darin bring his High Power down to do a comparison in your White, Grey or Silver comparison, which was May of '03? Your High Power review is more than 3 years later than that review. Your review gave the High Power more visibility, but I know Darin was talking about the advantages of the HP for a couple of years before that.

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #45 of 50 Old 04-20-2012, 02:15 PM

Liked: 17
First, didn't you think Tryg's post was pretty funny?

From my recollection Tryg was instrumental in pushing the wonders of the High Power screen. There was considerable resistance here from the so called experts who recommended grey screens. It took a continuous drumbeat over several years before the entrenched opposition gave in.
It was also noted that the leading, award winning high-end screen manufacture had no such high gain screen, let alone one with so few side effects. Stated another way, the High Power was sold because of passionate enthusiast’s recommendations, not from the professional experts or installers. We should be thanking Tryg.

*** Thanks Tryg! ***

For those who remember, last year I questioned the logic of another professional reviewer who used a low gain grey screen for his first DLP 3D review, then unsurprisingly concluded the PQ was disappointing.

Speaking frankly, Home Theater Magazine only reviewed and recommends the High Power to salvage the unacceptably dim 3D performance of expensive LCOS projectors. In my book the High Power is recommended to anyone over 45 years old, as older eyes need increasing light.

Since we are on the subject of 3D, did you note that over 70% of AVS members initially voted against Blu-ray 3D?
Of course now about 80% support it, as expected...
post #46 of 50 Old 04-20-2012, 03:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

First, didn't you think Tryg's post was pretty funny?

From my recollection Tryg was instrumental in pushing the wonders of the High Power screen. There was considerable resistance here from the so called experts who recommended grey screens. It took a continuous drumbeat over several years before the entrenched opposition gave in.
It was also noted that the leading, award winning high-end screen manufacture had no such high gain screen, let alone one with so few side effects. Stated another way, the High Power was sold because of passionate enthusiast's recommendations, not from the professional experts or installers. We should be thanking Tryg.

*** Thanks Tryg! ***

For those who remember, last year I questioned the logic of another professional reviewer who used a low gain grey screen for his first DLP 3D review, then unsurprisingly concluded the PQ was disappointing.

Speaking frankly, Home Theater Magazine only reviewed and recommends the High Power to salvage the unacceptably dim 3D performance of expensive LCOS projectors. In my book the High Power is recommended to anyone over 45 years old, as older eyes need increasing light.

Since we are on the subject of 3D, did you note that over 70% of AVS members initially voted against Blu-ray 3D?
Of course now about 80% support it, as expected...

Hear, hear! Tryg's enthusiasm is what got me to go for an HP, and it's one of the best choices I ever made in HT. I now have a new HP2.4, and though slightly less bright, I believe it is even smoother (and the original 2.8 was VERY good in this regard) and it has a somewhat wider field of view (though the original HP was no problem for me).

I also send my 'thanks' to Trgy for all his evangelism for the HP!
post #47 of 50 Old 04-20-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Hear, hear! Tryg's enthusiasm is what got me to go for an HP, and it's one of the best choices I ever made in HT. I now have a new HP2.4, and though slightly less bright, I believe it is even smoother (and the original 2.8 was VERY good in this regard) and it has a somewhat wider field of view (though the original HP was no problem for me).

I also send my 'thanks' to Trgy for all his evangelism for the HP!

How do you like the combination of your HP screen and your 4K Sony?
post #48 of 50 Old 04-20-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

How do you like the combination of your HP screen and your 4K Sony?

In 7th heaven! The screen is large (144"x61" for 2.35, and 138"x72" for 16x9 [actually 17x9 to get all the pixels in action]), yet I just measured 33 ftL off the screen, now with 270 hrs on the lamp. And the smoothness of the HP2.4 brings out the detailed resolution of the VW1000 to the fullest. I'm using autocal in ChromaPure + RadianceMini, and it gives the most natural, clear, dynamic pic I've ever seen on a screen. Colors are so rich yet still perfectly natural.

In short, I like it.
post #49 of 50 Old 04-20-2012, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

In 7th heaven! The screen is large (144"x61" for 2.35, and 138"x72" for 16x9 [actually 17x9 to get all the pixels in action]), yet I just measured 33 ftL off the screen, now with 270 hrs on the lamp. And the smoothness of the HP2.4 brings out the detailed resolution of the VW1000 to the fullest. I'm using autocal in ChromaPure + RadianceMini, and it gives the most natural, clear, dynamic pic I've ever seen on a screen. Colors are so rich yet still perfectly natural.

In short, I like it.

I actually have a HP 2.4 and a SI Gamma 4K screen paired with my RS55. I got my HP last year for 3D with my RS40. I was told how Da Lite screens and especially there HP screen gives off a yellowish tint. After calibrating the projector, the PQ with both screens are similar. I'm starting to prefer the HP screen. I close the iris and get great contrast. I'm looking to buy a house soon and build my basement around a huge HP screen and hopefully the new Red 4K projector
post #50 of 50 Old 04-20-2012, 04:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

I actually have a HP 2.4 and a SI Gamma 4K screen paired with my RS55. I got my HP last year for 3D with my RS40. I was told how Da Lite screens and especially there HP screen gives off a yellowish tint. After calibrating the projector, the PQ with both screens are similar. I'm starting to prefer the HP screen. I close the iris and get great contrast. I'm looking to buy a house soon and build my basement around a huge HP screen and hopefully the new Red 4K projector

I can well imagine that the HP2.4 with the RS55 is great. I would have gotten the RS55, and I'm sure I would love it, had Mark H not talked me into thinking about the Sony1000. (And I have to admit that I am hooked on the extra brightness.)
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page