Mits 9000/Sony95/Runco LS5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 04-08-2012, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need help. This is my first projector purchase. My room is completely light controlled with very dark walls. The screen will be a Stewart 110 Studio Tech 130 G3, with a 1.3 gain, and I will be sitting roughly 14 feet away from my screen. Okay....I have been able to view the JVC RS45, and the JVC RS55. Motion, motion, motion, motion is of the most importance to me. I view a lot of sports. 3D is not a big concern, but might be something that I am willing to look into in the future, just for fun. With the JVC's, I saw a lot of jutter and motion blur and that is unacceptable to me. For the three projectors listed above, I have no way to view them. I am hoping anyone who reads this thread can give me their opinion as to which one would be the best for my viewing purposes. I watch 2 to 3 movies per week. We like action movies around this house, and sports, sports, sports. Please don't ask me to read any more threads. I have read thousands. My eyeballs are hurting! I am hoping that maybe someone has seen two or more of these and can compare them. I am open to all opinions, positive or negative. Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-08-2012, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I replaced my runco ls5 with a hc9000A and it was an upgrade. I watch 70% sports in my theater and the motion is great.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-08-2012, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

how does color compare ?
post #4 of 19 Old 04-09-2012, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

The color is very close with maybe a slight edge to the Mits. The HC9000 is brighter and the FI is really good.
post #5 of 19 Old 04-09-2012, 06:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
i can't offer a comparison, however...

if anything, my viewing is even more biased to sports than thr op's, and i don't have any issues with the motion handling with my mits 9000... both of the my personal "torture tests" for motion (hockey and someone swinging a golf club) are passed with flying colors...

if i did, it would likely be gone by now, as motion issues would drive me crazy... our viewing is probably 90% sports, if not a bit more...

again, i can't compare to other units, sorry... but i can say that i'm very happy with the mits...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #6 of 19 Old 04-09-2012, 11:01 AM

Liked: 13
Check out projectorreviews for the Mits review vs the Runco. The Mits has better motion apparently, as Runco has no frame interpolation. I would expect the Sony 95 to be equal to or better than the Mits on motion.

I own the Sony 95 and haven't seen the other 2, but note the Sony 95 is widely praised for having good motion handling due to its faster panels, and is a strong all around performer, with good color and so forth out of the box with just a few setting adjustments. The Mits might be cheaper than the Sony however, but probably suffers from an earlier generation 3d mode.
post #7 of 19 Old 04-09-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.West View Post

Check out projectorreviews for the Mits review vs the Runco. The Mits has better motion apparently, as Runco has no frame interpolation. I would expect the Sony 95 to be equal to or better than the Mits on motion.

I own the Sony 95 and haven't seen the other 2, but note the Sony 95 is widely praised for having good motion handling due to its faster panels, and is a strong all around performer, with good color and so forth out of the box with just a few setting adjustments. The Mits might be cheaper than the Sony however, but probably suffers from an earlier generation 3d mode.

The Mits 9000 and the Sony 95ES have the same SXRD panels so they should handle motion equally. It all depends on whether or not the OP wants to use FI. If not, DLP chips win.
post #8 of 19 Old 04-09-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
The iris on the Mits was too loud and noticable for my taste. Otherwise IMO the colors are slightly better on the MITs, but motion without FI is better on the Runco. I have seen both.

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
post #9 of 19 Old 04-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

I have never heard the Iris during a movie. I have only heard it when changing Iris Levels in the menu. How close do you sit to the projector to be able to hear it? I sit about 8 feet away from it and never heard it.
post #10 of 19 Old 04-09-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.West View Post

Check out projectorreviews for the Mits review vs the Runco. The Mits has better motion apparently, as Runco has no frame interpolation..

If I'm the OP and making a decision based on FI, I would want to see how Mits does this in person. Some FI make the images like smooth, but (as many describe) soap opera effect.

Here's Art's bottomline on the two projectors:

"While if all else was equal, I'd take the Runco, I'm not sure I'm willing to give up a good CFI, and some other things over the lower cost Mitsubishi, but, if the Runco had CFI, then I might very well prefer it."

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #11 of 19 Old 04-09-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
IMHO, DLP is better for action movies and sports, but it depends on if you like FI as others said. However, I think most people (but not all) would prefer the natural motion of the Runco for action movies, for Sports the FI might be a split, but some would still prefer DLP.

The problem is the differences between DLP and LCOS, well everyone sees it differently, there is no real opinion a single person can give that will necessarily match your opinion.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #12 of 19 Old 04-09-2012, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

I have read that review, that got me thinking of the other two projectors. If the sony, & the mits didnt have FI, than the runco would win hands down. Whats hard about all this is i wont be able to see any of them before i purchase
post #13 of 19 Old 04-09-2012, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rceasar View Post

I have read that review, that got me thinking of the other two projectors. If the sony, & the mits didnt have FI, than the runco would win hands down. Whats hard about all this is i wont be able to see any of them before i purchase

Have you seen what an FI system does? I highly suggest seeing one if you haven't as this is something you can go to your local Best Buy or Walmart to see in person on HDTVs. I personally don't like the way it makes the image look. It looks very unnatural to me and i suspect it takes most people a while to get used to. Each company has their own iteration of FI so it's difficult to know whether or not you'll like Sony's or Mitsubishi's implementation without looking at it in person. Some companies lay it in thick, so to speak, where others have FI settings where it is much less intrusive and may make some material look a bit smoother.
post #14 of 19 Old 04-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

You can lay it on thick or thin your choice. There's a few different levels you can choose from, 1 is barely noticeable and 2 gives you the sopa opera effect. . I use level 1 for everything. All projectors with FI will have different levels. The HC9000 Advance even has a FI for 3D which I really like.

I would advise against going to walmart or best buy to see one. Those pictures are so messed up you can't judge anything plus they don't have any of these highend machines. I thought Epson 6010 didn't do a very good job with FI.
post #15 of 19 Old 04-09-2012, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdking View Post

You can lay it on thick or thin your choice. There's a few different levels you can choose from, 1 is barely noticeable and 2 gives you the sopa opera effect. . I use level 1 for everything. All projectors with FI will have different levels. The HC9000 Advance even has a FI for 3D which I really like.

I would advise against going to walmart or best buy to see one. Those pictures are so messed up you can't judge anything plus they don't have any of these highend machines. I thought Epson 6010 didn't do a very good job with FI.

I meant simply to see what FI looks like. Obviously not to see something with decent IQ.
post #16 of 19 Old 04-10-2012, 06:44 AM

how is the hc9000a compare to the Sony VPL-VW95ES, or is it more comparable to the Sony VPL-HW30ES? I am saving up my money to get the 95ES, should be able to get one in 2 months, but it looks like the Mits HC9000a is just as good for a bit less money, which I can get it sooner.
post #17 of 19 Old 04-10-2012, 06:59 AM

It sounds from people who have compared, that the main difference between the Mits and the Sony would be the 3d. Mits was doing the 3d with that chip for the 1st time, while the Sony 30 and 95 used a new and improved 3d formulation to get more brightness vs crosstalk. There is also different lens range and shift between the 2.
I think the Sony 95 includes glasses and emitter, while the Mits does not - which would represent a significant cost to add (over $400?). 2D performance for the Mits should be more in line with the 95 than the 30, however.
post #18 of 19 Old 04-10-2012, 07:04 AM

Mits 9000 lens shift and throw range is a bit more flexible than the Sony 95's. That may or may not represent an issue - depends on your room & screen.
post #19 of 19 Old 04-10-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rceasar View Post

I need help. This is my first projector purchase. My room is completely light controlled with very dark walls. The screen will be a Stewart 110 Studio Tech 130 G3, with a 1.3 gain, and I will be sitting roughly 14 feet away from my screen. Okay....I have been able to view the JVC RS45, and the JVC RS55. Motion, motion, motion, motion is of the most importance to me. I view a lot of sports. 3D is not a big concern, but might be something that I am willing to look into in the future, just for fun. With the JVC's, I saw a lot of jutter and motion blur and that is unacceptable to me. For the three projectors listed above, I have no way to view them. I am hoping anyone who reads this thread can give me their opinion as to which one would be the best for my viewing purposes. I watch 2 to 3 movies per week. We like action movies around this house, and sports, sports, sports. Please don't ask me to read any more threads. I have read thousands. My eyeballs are hurting! I am hoping that maybe someone has seen two or more of these and can compare them. I am open to all opinions, positive or negative. Thanks for the help!

Where are you located?

Jason C. Turk
Technical Support, Customer Service, Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
Direct Line: 585-645-1004
Email: jason@avscience.com

Don't forget my nearly 13,000 posts under my old ID!

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page