RS2 vs the new generation of JVC's, or any other's. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 04-18-2012, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, I've searched for a thread that I thought would be applicable for me on this subject. So, if I've made a mistake, please don't flame me to much as I'm a little slow at times .

My RS2 is about 4 years old now and while it throws a great picture, I'm just kind of maybe checking out newer options, with some 3D thrown in. I would only be watching a few 3D shows, movies a month. I watch a lot of Formula1 races, well actually all of them !!! Now, this is "RACIN THE WAY IT OUGHTA BE"......... Need better fast motion abilities, IMO.

I have a 100" Da-Lite screen with a gain of 1.0. Viewing distance is about 13-14' back. Don't really want to start getting into changes to my entire home theater, as I'm pretty happy with it. It is totally light controlled, dark as I want it to be. So, light really isn't an issue.

Just looking for some thoughts, comments. RS45, RS55, Epson 6010, 5010, Sony 90, 30, 95. Anyone, anybody?????

James A. Kyte Jr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-18-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
They all have trade-offs.

RS-55 would be my pick, but it doesn't have as good of motion as the Sony or as good of 3D, plus the Sony's FI is probably good for racing. Get the Sony and you lose some black levels though, although not terribly so. You do lose some sharpness with the Sony most likely as well (not too bad). It is a hard call, I need to own a Sony again to see what is better. Right now I own the RS-45.

I would not go to LCD coming from an LCOS, the pixel fill might bother you (or it might not), but the main issue I have with Epson is convergence luck + Pixel Fill, the two issues combine bother me (they don't bother everyone though). This seems to make some people mad when I say that, but I have some experience with Epsons, and the convergence is somewhat more random than JVC (even talking to dealers I've found that to be true).

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3 of 17 Old 04-18-2012, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I agree with Coderguy. If movies are your top priority, the RS55 would be your best choice. Sports are pretty good with the RS55, but not as good as the Sony 95. The Sony 95 has a bit better motion, better frame interpolation, and better 3D than the RS55, but not as good blacks (close though). So, if racing is your top priority the Sony 95 would be the best choice. The 95 also does movies very well too. Of course, if you are on a tight budget the same advice would go to the RS45 and HW30. The RS45 for movies and the HW30 for sports, but with not as good picture quality as the more expensive models obviously. The epsons I don't like.
post #4 of 17 Old 04-18-2012, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the recommendations!! I watch a lot of blu ray's too!! So, for the movie viewing, seems as though the RS55 would be a good choice.

Any experience on last years models?? I've seen very good pricing on the RS50 & the RS60. Does one really give up that much going with an RS55 over the 50, or the 65 over the 60?? I know they've done some improvements, but if one could get a 60 for a lot less than the 65, I wonder. As I wonder, if one can get a 50 for a couple of thousand less than a 55, hmmmm.

James A. Kyte Jr.
post #5 of 17 Old 04-18-2012, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I would not touch the RS-60 unless you got it dirt cheap, it is too dim, it was a bugged design IMHO. I believe the RS-50 had most of the same issues, maybe not as bad, but it was also way too dim. The newer models are much brighter, that is the key.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #6 of 17 Old 04-18-2012, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
The Epson 6010 is a great projector at its price point. I picked one up just for the 3D and have found it to be quite good overall. Good convergence, accurate colors OOTB, 3D among the brightest with minimal crosstalk. I'm not bothered with fill factor in the slightest, and I've got a 128" diagonal 1.78 screen. I've also got a Sim2 HT5000 and it's better for sure, but not as much as you might think given the huge price difference.
post #7 of 17 Old 04-19-2012, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter

You know I've never had an Epson. I've had Panasonic up to the 3000 series, had BenQ W20000, wow what a sharp crisp picture, but OMG, no blacks. Kind of viewing with low level lighting on at all times . But, IMO the JVC has had the most film like image I've had in my home theater, price wise that is. I've been happy with it!! I'm sure that there is a better picture out there to be had. But, for me at what cost, what trouble would I go through to get it. I've relied on reviews, word of mouth on my RS2 and have been a happy camper all these years now.

I'm just ready to start researching the newer generation projectors out and 3D does hold some interest for me. Not all the time, but a time or two a month, is what I envision. I've loved the JVC for going on 5 years now. If there is something better, then I'd be more than happy to step into a newer one. I cannot view much in my area. I even almost purchased a Mitsubishi HC9000, which still has me wondering if it is as good of a deal as it seems to be. Anyone have an opinion on it??

James A. Kyte Jr.
post #8 of 17 Old 04-19-2012, 05:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

i am very happy with the mits 9000, but i can't offer a comparison to the rs2...

i can tell you one thing... f1 passed through a 3d bee to the mits does not suck...

we watch a LOT of sports (probably 90% of our usage these days)... i'm happy with the motion handling... if i wasn't i would have sold it pretty quickly, motion issues really bother me...

ymmv of course...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #9 of 17 Old 04-23-2012, 06:40 AM

I've also heard that the Mits HC7800 is really good, cheaper than the 9000.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-23-2012, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

What a daunting task this has proven to be!!! I, unfortunately live in an area not blessed with a ton of dealers for nice A/V equipment and the couple that are around.

I've been researching and researching. I'm in the 3.5-4k range with my budget and just cannot make a decision. I have really liked my JVC RS2 for all these years now (5) and I've just been wondering what is out there that would make a significant improvement in my picture, if anything within my budget range??? I would like to do 3D some, but it isn't a must for me. I'm not a big fan of the DLP look, don't get me wrong the BenQ W20000 I had was nice, great sharpness and all. But, I just don't like the pictures that have that dark grey look instead of the BLACKS. I guess I've just become a huge fan of the JVC's and their black bilities. As I said I have a totally light controlled home theater, so I don't feel the need for a light cannon!! The RS2 has been to bright for me and this is with a 100" Da-Lite screen with a gain of .9-1.0.

What I have narrowed it down to is this:

1. JVC RS55

2. JVC RS45

3. MITSUBISHI HC9000

4. SONY VPL-HW95ES

5. Sony VPL-HW90ES

I also have a Lumagen Radiance XD processor in the loop. So, I have the ability to calibrate beyond what is offered within the JVC 45. I'm no expert in calibration and this sort of thing, I just like doing it with my set up. I'm just seeking advice and a little input, I ultimately make the decision, but I also like to get input from other in the know!!! Thanks to everyone that has sent me a comment or a recommendation!! I'm all ears and elbows with this, so if you have anything that may be of assistance. Let me have it, please!!!

James A. Kyte Jr.
post #11 of 17 Old 04-23-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkyte View Post

What a daunting task this has proven to be!!! I, unfortunately live in an area not blessed with a ton of dealers for nice A/V equipment and the couple that are around.

I've been researching and researching. I'm in the 3.5-4k range with my budget and just cannot make a decision. I have really liked my JVC RS2 for all these years now (5) and I've just been wondering what is out there that would make a significant improvement in my picture, if anything within my budget range??? I would like to do 3D some, but it isn't a must for me. I'm not a big fan of the DLP look, don't get me wrong the BenQ W20000 I had was nice, great sharpness and all. But, I just don't like the pictures that have that dark grey look instead of the BLACKS. I guess I've just become a huge fan of the JVC's and their black bilities. As I said I have a totally light controlled home theater, so I don't feel the need for a light cannon!! The RS2 has been to bright for me and this is with a 100" Da-Lite screen with a gain of .9-1.0.

What I have narrowed it down to is this:

1. JVC RS55

2. JVC RS45

3. MITSUBISHI HC9000

4. SONY VPL-HW95ES

5. Sony VPL-HW90ES

I also have a Lumagen Radiance XD processor in the loop. So, I have the ability to calibrate beyond what is offered within the JVC 45. I'm no expert in calibration and this sort of thing, I just like doing it with my set up. I'm just seeking advice and a little input, I ultimately make the decision, but I also like to get input from other in the know!!! Thanks to everyone that has sent me a comment or a recommendation!! I'm all ears and elbows with this, so if you have anything that may be of assistance. Let me have it, please!!!

Give us a call and we can discus the pros and cons of the various choices. We also have some open box models.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #12 of 17 Old 04-23-2012, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I had the Pioneer version of the RS2 and I got an RS45 and I love it! Black levels and contrast are about the same. My RS45 has a couple of bright corners but only notice it on an all black screen (My Pioneer FPJ1 was perfect in this regard). The picture on my RS45 is much sharper and motion is noticeably better plus the pic is brighter. Colors look better as well. Personally, I like FI and while I only found 2 useable modes one gives a soap look (which I don't mind at all) but it does has artifacts on some material and the other has much fewer artifacts but the motion looks much better over having no FI IMO.
post #13 of 17 Old 04-24-2012, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Three biggest concerns I have re: trading up to newer projector are possible bright corners (my RS-20 is perfect in this regard), convergence (a crap shoot w/ any manufacturer) and motion. Love to find a projector that excells in all three of these areas and has a 2.0 throw (pipe dream?).
post #14 of 17 Old 04-24-2012, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

Three biggest concerns I have re: trading up to newer projector are possible bright corners (my RS-20 is perfect in this regard), convergence (a crap shoot w/ any manufacturer) and motion. Love to find a projector that excells in all three of these areas and has a 2.0 throw (pipe dream?).

I upgraded from an RS20 to RS40. Fortunately, I was able to sell the RS20 for price that was almost the same as the early pre-order AVS price of the RS40, so it was an easy upgrade. Upgrading from the 40 to 45 was not worth it for me. My RS40 has good convergence and no bright corners or other issues, except for lamps. My first exploded at 400 hours and JVC replaced for free. I'm at 325 hours on the second and it's not as bright as I would hope. 3D is almost useless at this point. I'll probably call them soon concerning another replacement as I understand that they've made further improvements to their lamps.

If I had a RS20 now and 3D was important, I wouldn't consider a JVC, but would look at either a Sony HW30 or Epson 5010/6010, or wait until the fall to see what develops. If 3D is not important, I'd probably hang onto the 20 and see what's out in 6 months or so.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

post #15 of 17 Old 04-25-2012, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm beginning to believe that in my price vs performance range the RS2, even at 5-6 years old may be the way to go for a year or two more!! I have a brand new bulb in it and it still throws a great picture, IMO. If I can't find a projector that gives me a noticeable improvement, I see no valid reason to spend my $$ just for the sake of saying I have the latest greatest thing on the market!!

I want 3D, as I've said, but not terrible 3D and at my price range maybe a great 2D picture and a nice 3D aren't obtainable at the present time, plus I just don't watch enough to justify more than my budget. And for me, going to two different projectors just isn't gonna happen . And I'm kind of addicted to the black level performance of the RS2, I guess I'm one of the true believers. I'm no expert, but I've had a few CRT units back in the day, I've had over 6 digital units and the RS2 has given me the best overall picture I've had in my home theater. That is of course not including the CRT units I had. But, God I never liked the thought of having a small refrigerator sized projector in my theater room!!

I'm leaning towards the Sony 95ES or the JVC RS55. Just hard spending this kind of $$, when you know and realize that you have no way of viewing these projectors. This is and has always been my problems when making the decision to step into another projector. With the RS2, I kind of got it right for my viewing pleasure and to me this is what it is all about. How is this going to look to me, my family in our environment. When my friends view a movie, or my son's friends watch a movie with him in our home theater. I always get comments on how our system looks so much better than the one at the local Carmike!! And to me, this is part of the fun in all this. Having my little theater that looks great to my family, our friends, etc.

James A. Kyte Jr.
post #16 of 17 Old 04-25-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post

I upgraded from an RS20 to RS40. Fortunately, I was able to sell the RS20 for price that was almost the same as the early pre-order AVS price of the RS40, so it was an easy upgrade. Upgrading from the 40 to 45 was not worth it for me. My RS40 has good convergence and no bright corners or other issues, except for lamps. My first exploded at 400 hours and JVC replaced for free. I'm at 325 hours on the second and it's not as bright as I would hope. 3D is almost useless at this point. I'll probably call them soon concerning another replacement as I understand that they've made further improvements to their lamps.

If I had a RS20 now and 3D was important, I wouldn't consider a JVC, but would look at either a Sony HW30 or Epson 5010/6010, or wait until the fall to see what develops. If 3D is not important, I'd probably hang onto the 20 and see what's out in 6 months or so.

Sony can't do 2.0 throw. But really would like to stick w/ JVC anyways (3-D not important) even though my RS-20 has yellow band on left side of image (defective optical block?). So it becomes a boat anchor when I upgrade. CEDIA is only 4 months away so I'll hang on (as you suggested) and see what the new models have to offer. If JVC follows their past releases - it will be time for newly re-engineered models to premier (which could be good or bad).
post #17 of 17 Old 04-25-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkyte View Post

I want 3D, as I've said, but not terrible 3D and at my price range maybe a great 2D picture and a nice 3D aren't obtainable at the present time, plus I just don't watch enough to justify more than my budget. And for me, going to two different projectors just isn't gonna happen . And I'm kind of addicted to the black level performance of the RS2, I guess I'm one of the true believers. I'm no expert, but I've had a few CRT units back in the day, I've had over 6 digital units and the RS2 has given me the best overall picture I've had in my home theater.

if your screen was larger I would have recommended the RS55. On my 142" 16:9 @ 1.25 SW from the screen, the e-shift on the 55 takes the IQ up a noticeable notch, even when compared to the RS45 which I had side by side with my 55.

This is my fourth JVC and the 55 has the best IQ of the bunch. It's a shame they couldn't improve the 3D this year, but it certainly didn't take away from the outstanding 2D IQ. I run a 2nd projector for 3D since none of the current LCOS/LCD/SXRD 3D projectors can handle perfect, ghost free 3D like the DLP projectors (which have their own limitation in 2D, specifically black level performance).

Whatever changes they make next year, I hope it doesn't detract from the 2D IQ just for the sake of improving 3D.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page