New bulb or new PJ? JVC x3 to what??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 04-18-2012, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 727
alright, first bulb lasted around 1000 hours on the x3 but dimness became and issue around 800 where it was almost unbearable to watch movies. The ghosting in the 3d has always been an issue as well. second (replacement) bulb has made it about 300-400 hours and is unbearable. I am tired of this. Some points:

I need a longer lasting/brighter bulb.

I dont watch much 3d but enjoy it when I can (would enjoy it more with no crosstalk)

I primarily use the PJ for movies and gaming, I would say 50% gaming and the other 50% between movies and TV...motion would be a concern for gaming.

For these above reasons Im mainly concerned with 2d viewing and I love the lights on a little in my 100% light controlled batcave. The x3 has a GORGEOUS 2d image when the bulbs are new, but when after 300 hours it has already become too dim to enjoy, this is unnacceptable. perhaps a newer version of the bulb will actually fix the issue, but who knows?

I like a super bright image! Im not a major BlackLevel freak, but dont want to have something like a presentation PJ in my basement. Id be willing to sacrifice some black level to start out with a super bright image that I could dial back at first and eventually open up as the bulb begins to drop lumens.

Ive so far looked at the BenQ7000, Epson 5010 and panny7000. The sony gets a little further up there in cost, but I might be able to work if depending on what I can get for my x3 should I decide to sell it. But alas, perhaps it is worth keeping? I dont know, all I do know is only getting a couple 100 hours of awesome viewing is dumb, and im ready to move on if the time is right...

Any thoughts would be MUCH appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-18-2012, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Sony seems to fit all your wishes to a tee, especially since you game 50/50.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-18-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 327
if you like the JVC IQ, it might be worth trying 1 more lamp. The latest model with the modification could provide some hope to having longer lasting lamps in the JVC.

I measured the HW30 lag @ ~25MS, it's a very good gaming projector.

The 5010 is going to be the brightest projector in 2D and 3D since the torch mode can crank out the lumens. It puts out nearly 2000 lumens in this mode, but the colors are off a bit. I dialed down the torch mode to D65 and still measured over 1400 lumens which is great for some ambient light viewing.

The Epson lag time is ~80MS, same as the JVC depending on how serious of a gamer you are.

post #4 of 15 Old 04-18-2012, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
DLP is generally better for gaming as long as the specific DLP model isn't too laggy. DLP does much better with less motion blur in gaming pans, plus it's sharper.
But like Zombie said, it depends how serious you are.

for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #5 of 15 Old 04-19-2012, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 64
If your not into 3D then a Benq W6000 would fit your needs.

post #6 of 15 Old 04-19-2012, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Corr View Post

The Sony seems to fit all your wishes to a tee, especially since you game 50/50.

Yea minus the pricetag

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

if you like the JVC IQ, it might be worth trying 1 more lamp. The latest model with the modification could provide some hope to having longer lasting lamps in the JVC.

I measured the HW30 lag @ ~25MS, it's a very good gaming projector.

The 5010 is going to be the brightest projector in 2D and 3D since the torch mode can crank out the lumens. It puts out nearly 2000 lumens in this mode, but the colors are off a bit. I dialed down the torch mode to D65 and still measured over 1400 lumens which is great for some ambient light viewing.

The Epson lag time is ~80MS, same as the JVC depending on how serious of a gamer you are.

Thanks zombie, I remember reading your posts back when I made the decision to go JVC. I really appreciate your passion for the industry, it helps so many of us make decisions that otherwise would be completely UNeducated Im still torn because the biggest thing ive missed is brightness. I host a LOT for sporting events and I tend to keep lights on unless it is a full length movie. They are all can lights and are dimmable, but additional brightness is still a plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

DLP is generally better for gaming as long as the specific DLP model isn't too laggy. DLP does much better with less motion blur in gaming pans, plus it's sharper.
But like Zombie said, it depends how serious you are.

define serious gamer!! haha j/k. really I play MW, guitar hero when a new one comes out, and the need for speed games, I dont really venture much further than that and max hours I play is still not an insane amount, possibly averaging around 8-10 hours on a good week, none on a bad week. I would say more of a casual gamer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butny View Post

If your not into 3D then a Benq W6000 would fit your needs.

Ive looked at that one as well but I have several 3d titles and I still enjoy 3d, the only movie that looks decent that Ive watched thus far is avatar, the rest, ghosting is pretty apparent, so I kind of got discouraged.

post #7 of 15 Old 04-19-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

also, whats the difference between the sony 30es and the 30aes or is there any?

post #8 of 15 Old 04-19-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 226
One comes with glasses (aes) and the other doesn't (es). The price is obviously more expensive with the glasses.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

post #9 of 15 Old 04-19-2012, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

One comes with glasses (aes) and the other doesn't (es). The price is obviously more expensive with the glasses.

Copy that, I like your signature too!! haha

So even though many are rooting for the Sony, I think im going to cross it out. The price tag is just too high and I feel like I need slightly more light. This has always been a concern of mine with the JVC. Within the first week or so, the brightness was great but not long after that, it was dimmer than I wanted. I really think I need a light cannon. For that reason, I think the epson, BenQ, or panny would all more than likely do the trick. Im not a huge color buff either, none of my TV's in the house are calibrated professionally, and I dont own a light meter or anything like that. Im more of a sound guru, and that is where I will continue to spend my coin on measurement equipment.

With that said, it doesnt seem like too many folks squawk about the panny, but at it's price range and performance level, it seems like a worthy contender. I dont take into account contrast ratios realistically, unless they have been tested real-world, but Dynamic Irises, FI,and manual zoom and focus, those things are important. I really enjoy the electronic zoom and focus controls on the JVC, do any of these PJ's have that? The Dynamic iris i dont even know if the JVC but what are the pro's and cons there? FI I do know about, and it is ok with the JVC, but from what ive read so far, the other, newer units seem to handle this a little better.

The video game lag thing I dont think would really affect me with the exception of guitar hero, but it can be adjusted out so that is no concern really to me either. as I said above, im just a casual gamer...but I will destroy you in MW (Them's fightin' words!! haha) not really there either, just a middle of the road kinda guy when it comes to that stuff.

Ok, so there are my thoughts so far on this process. Dang I just wish the bulbs for the JVC's actually lasted how long they were supposed to, but so far, im too scared to press forward with that. They will only give you replacement bulbs for so long...

post #10 of 15 Old 04-19-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Thanks zombie, I remember reading your posts back when I made the decision to go JVC. I really appreciate your passion for the industry, it helps so many of us make decisions that otherwise would be completely UNeducated Im still torn because the biggest thing ive missed is brightness. I host a LOT for sporting events and I tend to keep lights on unless it is a full length movie. They are all can lights and are dimmable, but additional brightness is still a plus.

given that info, the Epson 5010/6010 is screaming your name.

The living room mode is 2x the brightness of all the other projectors 'cinema mode' (~800-900 lumens @ D65). The colors are off a bit in this mode, but it's fine for ambient light viewing.. same for 3D with lower gain screens, it's going to be noticeably brighter then all of other current under 10k projectors.

Plus the Epson glasses are some of my favorite factory glasses vs. the JVC, Sony, etc.

post #11 of 15 Old 04-19-2012, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

He is 50% gaming, Epson is not necessarily the best choice for that depending on his sensitivity to lag and motion blur. A lot of people think they aren't sensitive to it, but all it takes is letting them play a DLP with better motion and seeing the difference. Games on some projectors just feel OFF a bit, and it depends on the kind of games you play, it matters more for very high frame rate and fast moving games like racing.

For 2D Viewing in a torch mode, the Benq is brighter than the previous JVC he owned by quite a lot, especially over time as the lamps DIM.

How big is your screen?

I would look at the Benq w7000 paired with a high gain screen. The most cost-effective method is buying a Da-Lite High Power screen (2.4 gain), and pairing it with the Benq. The Sony has slightly less gaming lag than the Benq (but the Sony is more expensive as he noted), although personally I think the Benq will be better in most games over the Sony for various reasons. The Benq also has better 3D and is a bit sharper.

Hope this helps...

-

post #12 of 15 Old 04-19-2012, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

According to Art, the Benq does Dynamic Mode = 1942 Lumens @ 8809. That is almost as bright as the Epson's torch mode, sure not as good of color, but I imagine that a 1500 lumens mode on the Benq in 2D surely wouldn't be that far below the Epson's torch mode in accuracy (maybe a little).

The JVC's torch mode is barely but 1200 lumens, almost 50% less than the Benq's torch mode. In 3D mode, I guess Benq needs to patch the firmware to allow the torch mode to be used, that seems to be the only issue vs. the Epson regarding brightness, unless for some reason I am mistaken.

-

post #13 of 15 Old 04-20-2012, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

given that info, the Epson 5010/6010 is screaming your name.

The living room mode is 2x the brightness of all the other projectors 'cinema mode' (~800-900 lumens @ D65). The colors are off a bit in this mode, but it's fine for ambient light viewing.. same for 3D with lower gain screens, it's going to be noticeably brighter then all of other current under 10k projectors.

Plus the Epson glasses are some of my favorite factory glasses vs. the JVC, Sony, etc.

sounds good! Your screenshots of the 3d mode looks awesome on the epson too, doesnt seem to knock the color out near as bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

He is 50% gaming, Epson is not necessarily the best choice for that depending on his sensitivity to lag and motion blur. A lot of people think they aren't sensitive to it, but all it takes is letting them play a DLP with better motion and seeing the difference. Games on some projectors just feel OFF a bit, and it depends on the kind of games you play, it matters more for very high frame rate and fast moving games like racing.

For 2D Viewing in a torch mode, the Benq is brighter than the previous JVC he owned by quite a lot, especially over time as the lamps DIM.

How big is your screen?

I would look at the Benq w7000 paired with a high gain screen. The most cost-effective method is buying a Da-Lite High Power screen (2.4 gain), and pairing it with the Benq. The Sony has slightly less gaming lag than the Benq (but the Sony is more expensive as he noted), although personally I think the Benq will be better in most games over the Sony for various reasons. The Benq also has better 3D and is a bit sharper.

Hope this helps...

The main game I play is modern warfare, which would be nice to have a little less lag, but if it is close enough between the two models, im not SUPER concerned. I also dont know how susceptible I am to RBE, but it seems the newer DLP's dont suffer from that too bad.

Does the epson have the ability to adjust the panels for convergence issues?

My screen is a 124" Stewart Firehawk A-T and I dont have any intentions from moving from there, ive only had it since around october or so, and I absolutely have to have A-T (Too many big speakers behind there )

One other thing to note, and I say this with the assumption if I have a PJ that I actually am not afraid to throw some serious hours on, is the epson replacement bulb is cheaper than the BenQ's, but only by 50 bucks. They are both still a rediculous amount cheaper than a JVC replacement bulb so I would foresee me spending a lot more time in the theater in either case. As soon as I can confirm with JVC that they are sending me another bulb, Im probably going to go ahead and order another PJ, and sell the RS40 with a family bundle with 6 glasses and the emitter, maybe even some 3d titles. All I want to do is break even on the whole deal

post #14 of 15 Old 04-20-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like either the Epson or Benq would work and the Epson is much brighter in 3D, but since you said total use of 50% gaming, I had assumed you'd be playing a lot of games. After all, 50% gaming is either a lot of gaming or a lot of the same game

For instance, my gaming on the projector is 1% approximately, maybe less.

-

post #15 of 15 Old 04-20-2012, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

well actually only 50% of the time the theater is used, is the projector on anyways I tend to listen to a LOT of music down there and dont even bother turning the pj on. so of the time im in the theater, 25% would actually be gaming, 25% movies and tv, and the other 50% just listening to tunes. I dont log barely any hours during the summer months in the theater, as Im a big outdoors guy, but during the colder months, it's on I bet you 2-4 hours a week max in the summertime, sometime 2-4 hours per night in the winter haha.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Sony Vpl Hw30es 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Benq W6000 1080p Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page