3D quality between front projection and a large screen plasma? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 04-27-2012, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This will sound silly at first, but I'm looking to get a proper 3D-capable display and will either be upgrading my basement front projection setup (currently a Panasonic PT-AE2000U) or my living room large screen setup (currently a Samsung LED). If I opt for the living room upgrade, I'd be getting a 55-inch Panasonic plasma. If I upgrade the basement projector upgrade, I'd get the Panasonic AE7000.

No question, overall a front projection setup is preferable in almost every way - my basement setup will always be my main viewing room - and it's not as if I'd be watching tons and tons of 3D content either way, but for the work that I do I'd like to get the setup that will display the most accurate 3D image, bright and mostly free of crosstalk.

Can the new Panny projector emit a 3D image as strong as their top end plasmas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-02-2012, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzyboy View Post

This will sound silly at first, but I'm looking to get a proper 3D-capable display and will either be upgrading my basement front projection setup (currently a Panasonic PT-AE2000U) or my living room large screen setup (currently a Samsung LED). If I opt for the living room upgrade, I'd be getting a 55-inch Panasonic plasma. If I upgrade the basement projector upgrade, I'd get the Panasonic AE7000.

No question, overall a front projection setup is preferable in almost every way - my basement setup will always be my main viewing room - and it's not as if I'd be watching tons and tons of 3D content either way, but for the work that I do I'd like to get the setup that will display the most accurate 3D image, bright and mostly free of crosstalk.

Can the new Panny projector emit a 3D image as strong as their top end plasmas?

If you're seriously looking for a "setup that will display the most accurate 3D image, bright and mostly free of crosstalk" hopefully you haven't already decided on the Panny 7000. There are better choices IMHO.

I have a 3D Sony 60" in my LR. I never watch 3D on it. It's too small for 3D immersion. 55" would be worse. Since you're already set up for projection, that's where you need to upgrade and leave the LR alone for regular TV 2D viewing. The Samsung is likely good enough to continue handling that job. Upgrade when it's dead or 4K is standard and get your money worth out of it.

Relegate your (3D) movie viewing to your basement. You've not mentioned anything concerning ambient lighting, screen size/gain, and other important factors in a home theater setup. Let's assume that you already have a screen and a light controlled environment. IMHO, the later is one of the most important factors in creating a home theater. Ambient light will destroy any benefit of a quality projector. Light canon's with poor blacks are great for watching the game at the local sports bar, but suck for most other applications like sci-fi movies, etc.

I have a JVC RS40 which was one of the first 3D projectors and at a great value. It still handles 2D as well as anything in it's price range really. Sadly, it's not the best at 3D. I've been spending a lot of time reading just about everything I can on 3D projectors in the under $3K street price market. There's a long, but excellent comparison shootout thread on the subject. Long story, short is that the Epson 5010 or 6010 are very good at 3D and apparently, so is the BenQ 7000. One is LCD, the other DLP. Honorable mentions are the Sony HW30, but it costs a little more. You can always talk to any AVS Salesman about these projectors and their prices. Personally, I just opted to get an Epson for it's 3D performance and positive reviews. Look for my reviews of it after I get it in place soon.

Another option that sounds intriguing is Motorman45's Omega optically filters and passive glasses (dual PJ solution) found toward the middle of this thread. Basically, it requires two projectors (you already have one), his filters ($349 on eBay), an HTPC with dual output 3D video card, and two 3D-XL boxes. I would have tried this approach, but my theater isn't setup to handle stacked projectors. It's like a real theater with a small port at the back and the PJ in the room behind the theater. Plus I use an anamorphic lens with 2.35:1 screen and this Omega filter solution doesn't really work for that. Otherwise, I'd have probably gone this route instead. Passive glasses without the need for a silver screen sounds like a great way to go. You'd just need to add a second 2000U, the filters, two 3D-XL boxes, and an HTPC. Maybe a new lamp to match the two depending on your current hours. This is probably cheaper than an Epson or BenQ and likely to produce a better 3D picture too.

So, there you have it. My opinion after researching for months on the best 3D solution for under $3K. Take from this post what you will, but it's my story and I'm sticking to it. Good luck.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

post #3 of 16 Old 05-02-2012, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 35
That same choice is now standing before me. Should I go for Panasonic 65VT50 (65" plasma) or BenQ W7000 3D DLP (which would project on a 93" max). As I understand, the picture quality will be superior on the 65VT50 but the quality of 3D will be better on W7000 (the question is, by how much?) due to lack of crosstalk and flicker. The room is quite small (approx 12 sq. meters) and will be light controlled in case I'll go for BenQ. I'm afraid no forum will help me to settle on anything unless I go and see both with my own eyes... (sigh)
post #4 of 16 Old 05-02-2012, 05:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 533
As poster above said, it is hard to get immersed in the 3D when viewing such a small screen. If you have some specific questions regarding any of these projectors, contact us.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #5 of 16 Old 05-02-2012, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Where does 'small' end and 'immersive' start? I've read somewhere it was 65" actually.
Here's a relative comparison between two screen sizes:

93" is approximately 2 times bigger than 65", hehe. Might be an overkill in a 12 sq. m room, no?
post #6 of 16 Old 05-02-2012, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

93" is approximately 2 times bigger than 65", hehe. Might be an overkill in a 12 sq. m room, no?

12 sq meters (130 sq ft) is a small room. What is your seating distance from the screen and how wide is your screen wall?
post #7 of 16 Old 05-02-2012, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been watching 3D on my 65" Samsung. My wall is about 11" wide and I sit about 8' from the screen (depending on which seat I take.) I find the experience pretty enjoyable at that distance. I feel pretty "immersed" in the 3D. I thought about a projector at one time too, but I figured if I went 90" or bigger, I'd just end up sitting further from the screen and end up with the same sort of experience. Maybe I'm wrong on that one, but the screen does take up half the wall.

Just watched Resident Evil: Afterlife last night and was pretty wow'd by the 3D. It actually had some "comin' at ya" moments, while most 3D spends the bulk of it's time with depth of field (which I also enjoy).
post #8 of 16 Old 05-02-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:

That same choice is now standing before me. Should I go for Panasonic 65VT50 (65" plasma) or BenQ W7000 3D DLP (which would project on a 93" max). As I understand, the picture quality will be superior on the 65VT50 but the quality of 3D will be better on W7000 (the question is, by how much?) due to lack of crosstalk and flicker. The room is quite small (approx 12 sq. meters) and will be light controlled in case I'll go for BenQ. I'm afraid no forum will help me to settle on anything unless I go and see both with my own eyes... (sigh)

Opinions vary, but I can share my own experience. Last year, I sold my BenQ W6000 and replaced it with two top-of-the-line HDTV's - the Samsung 65-inch D8000 plasma and Sony 55-inch HX929 LED. Both were the flagship televisions from their respective companies and very highly reviewed. Also, ridiculously expensive.

To put it bluntly, I made a terrible mistake. Technically, the inky blacks of the Sony and the eye-searing colors of the Samsung were unmatched. However, I was extremely disappointed by the total lack of immersion on these televisons. Actually, I think that's the point... after enjoying movies, sports and gaming on a good projector, everything else is just "television." It's simply impossible to replicate the theater experience on a 65-inch screen, no matter the technical prowess.

Don't get me wrong, these are excellent products and provide an impressive image. However, I was surprised by just how well the W6000 compared in producing a vibrant, colorful, razor sharp image. I actually preferred the IQ of the DLP projector to the plasma and LED tech.

It was a valuable lesson for me - grass isn't always greener, and all that jazz.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-02-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Where does 'small' end and 'immersive' start? I've read somewhere it was 65" actually. 93" is approximately 2 times bigger than 65", hehe. Might be an overkill in a 12 sq. m room, no?

Bigger is always better. 12 sq meters does not specify actually dimensions, is it a square room? What's the width of the front wall where you'll hang your screen? What's your planned seating distance? You also need to factor in speaker placement in front along with the screen.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

post #10 of 16 Old 05-02-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I feel bad for stealing a topic, but anyway:

greekwolf
Thanks A LOT for sharing your valuable experience, I feel what you say is true. This will give me a lot to think about but right now you've leaned me towards W7000.

stevenjw
The room is 4.4 meters long (2.9 wide). The screen I've chosen is SeymourAV's AT motorized screen, the speakers will be behind the screen. So the distance I'll be sitting from the screen is 6' to 10'.
post #11 of 16 Old 05-02-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The room is 4.4 meters long (2.9 wide). The screen I've chosen is SeymourAV's AT motorized screen, the speakers will be behind the screen. So the distance I'll be sitting from the screen is 6' to 10'.

Why are you going with only a 93" wide screen? My calculations indicate the you could hang something about 9.6 feet wide (106" diagonal 1.78:1), assuming your walls are straight. I guess there's a reason your going with a motorized screen and therefore have to settle for a smaller screen. Personally, I'd go for a bigger fixed screen and place the speakers angled above or below the screen or go with the AT but use in-wall speakers (or frame what you have in behind the screen) and still hang the largest fixed frame that'll fit.

If I was stuck at no more than 93", I'd probably bag it and go with an 80" LCD.

...Steve

post #12 of 16 Old 05-02-2012, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekwolf View Post

after enjoying movies, sports and gaming on a good projector, everything else is just "television."

Yes
post #13 of 16 Old 05-05-2012, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:

I am in similar situation, having a 92" Da-Lite Cinema Vision 1.3 fixed frame from my CRT days rolled up in storage - get a new projector - or a cheap 64" Samsung or the new 65 VT50 Panny? - I have about a 16m^2 room, but I manage to have a Barco 808 in a room of this size before
post #14 of 16 Old 05-05-2012, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekwolf View Post

To put it bluntly, I made a terrible mistake. Technically, the inky blacks of the Sony and the eye-searing colors of the Samsung were unmatched. However, I was extremely disappointed by the total lack of immersion on these televisons. Actually, I think that's the point... after enjoying movies, sports and gaming on a good projector, everything else is just "television." It's simply impossible to replicate the theater experience on a 65-inch screen, no matter the technical prowess.

I totally agree with this. I've recently moved into a new build house (4 weeks ago), and the basement is unfinished. I knew that it would be a while till I get it up and running so I bought a 64" D8000 plasma since it was rated a nice set.

As I sit here now watching Premier League it's not the same, not even close. I always find myself saying that I wish the image was as big as my last setup. Sporting events at my house are not the same either. I already have friends asking if it would be ready for the super bowl. Even my wife mentioned that she can't wait to watch a few titles on the "big" screen once the basement is finished.

So what did I do?...Order material that will be delivered next week! HAAH. I just couldn't wait to have my projector setup running again.
post #15 of 16 Old 05-05-2012, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAGDNIM View Post

I totally agree with this. I've recently moved into a new build house (4 weeks ago), and the basement is unfinished. I knew that it would be a while till I get it up and running so I bought a 64" D8000 plasma since it was rated a nice set.

As I sit here now watching Premier League it's not the same, not even close. I always find myself saying that I wish the image was as big as my last setup. Sporting events at my house are not the same either. I already have friends asking if it would be ready for the super bowl. Even my wife mentioned that she can't wait to watch a few titles on the "big" screen once the basement is finished.

So what did I do?...Order material that will be delivered next week! HAAH. I just couldn't wait to have my projector setup running again.

So, you would also choose a bigger picture of less "quality" over a "perfect" small one?
post #16 of 16 Old 05-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

To keep it simplistic yes. I prefer the immersion a front projector setup give me over the plasma that I'm currently doing my viewing on.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System
Gear in this thread - W7000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page