Looking at an AE7000 and Optomo HD33.. is the Panny worth a $2K difference? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 04-28-2012, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looking at making a projector purchase before end of summer-- Leaning toward a Panasonic AE7000 based on what my friend (who works for Panasonic) has said about it... and from what I've read here... I'm HOPING he can get an employee discount, not sure yet... but the real question: Is there a noticeable difference between the Panny and something like an Optoma HD33?

I plan on projecting on a Carada High Contrast Gray 1.78 screen with a desire to upgrade somehwere down the line to a Masquerade screen...

Any thoughts, suggestions, or opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-28-2012, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I went from the Mits hc3800 dlp to the Panasonic ae7000 and there is a big difference but I couldn't tell you about the HD33. If it's your first projector then you won't be disappointed with the Optoma or any of the recent entry level offerings for that matter. I would be inclined to save the money if that's the case, besides the HD33 dlp will have better 3D than the Panasonic if that's important to you.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-29-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
If you don't see rainbow's and 3D is important to you and it is your first projector then you will be very happy with the Optoma. I tried it and my issue was the rainbows. Both my girlfriend and I saw them constantly in 2D material. Part of that is because it throws such a bright picture (a good thing) but it was not a pleasant viewing experience having to fight against the rainbows.

You gotta try it first. If you don't have that problem, I think its a great choice.
post #4 of 15 Old 04-29-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. This is not my first projector-- I had an Infocus IN76 previously and another Infocus projector before that... I haven't had a projector up and running in a couple years mostly because I've been trying to sell my townhouse (just got it under contract for sale!) and apparently a home theater in the living room is a sales deterrent?

I imagine I will be using the PJ for mostly blue ray movies, but HDTV content via Direct TV (I really want ESPN 3D). This might sound crazy, but I've only seen one movie in 3D in the theaters... and it's the same movie I'm buying a 3D projector for.... Tron Legacy.

I suppose I'll be doing some gaming on this PJ as well.. but as a teacher, my time is limited and I probably won't be doing much unless i'm on break.

I'm still waiting to hear back from my friend as to whether he can get me a discount on the AE7000.. though he seems to think the 8000 is coming out sometime Feb next year.

Edit: I've never had an issue with DLP Rainbows. But I want a nice 3D projector and I want it to look nice!
post #5 of 15 Old 04-29-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonichart View Post

Thanks for the replies. This is not my first projector-- I had an Infocus IN76 previously and another Infocus projector before that... I haven't had a projector up and running in a couple years mostly because I've been trying to sell my townhouse (just got it under contract for sale!) and apparently a home theater in the living room is a sales deterrent?

I imagine I will be using the PJ for mostly blue ray movies, but HDTV content via Direct TV (I really want ESPN 3D). This might sound crazy, but I've only seen one movie in 3D in the theaters... and it's the same movie I'm buying a 3D projector for.... Tron Legacy.

I suppose I'll be doing some gaming on this PJ as well.. but as a teacher, my time is limited and I probably won't be doing much unless i'm on break.

I'm still waiting to hear back from my friend as to whether he can get me a discount on the AE7000.. though he seems to think the 8000 is coming out sometime Feb next year.

Edit: I've never had an issue with DLP Rainbows. But I want a nice 3D projector and I want it to look nice!

If you want good hassle free 3D then don't buy the Panasonic ae7000.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-29-2012, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
The Benq w7000 is a better choice over the Panny 7000 for the poster, and it has a better image than the hd33.

If you project way too bright of an image on any projector there will be side effects. Basing rainbows on projecting too bright of an image is not a good benchmark to determine rainbow sensitivity. As long as the rainbows are not too bothersome below 20 fL, then it shouldn't be an issue. I think half the people that see rainbows on the hd33 are because they are trying to watch the projector too bright or they have the color wheel settings wrong. I just can't imagine 2 people both seeing rainbows on the hd33 unless something was wrong with the setup. The odds of 2 people in a row seeing rainbows on a 6x color wheel in a proper setup are astronomically low, unless there is something different about the hd33 which causes more rainbows than should normally be seen on a 6x color wheel.

Maybe one day I will grab one and see if I see them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #7 of 15 Old 04-30-2012, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

The Panny doesn't offer hassle-free 3D? That seems strange. I'm going to look at a couple of local dealers and see how many projectors I can view before making a purchase. Add the JVC RS45U to the list of suitors though.

I know there is no "magic bullet" solution, but I want something hassle-free, that kicks ass in 3D, and looks good for 2D material as well as an occasional video game.

I've heard much about the D-ILA technology over the years and have always been envious of owners rave reviews of the technology. ANy suggestions on how to view different projectors in the schaumburg area?

This forum is great! Thanks for your help!
post #8 of 15 Old 04-30-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
All the picture comparisons, both in 2D and 3D, are relevant, but for me the one major advantage the 7000 has is the lens memories. It is truly marvelous to be able to see a scope movie (2.35:1) without any distracting horizontal black bars with just a touch of a button. I'm finally able to see these movies in all their picture glory. The new Blu-ray Indiana Jones trilogy coming out later this year is in this format and that is ONLY way to watch these classics. So you decide which one is right for you, but the 7000 will give you this valuable option.

Wolfie
post #9 of 15 Old 04-30-2012, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

All the picture comparisons, both in 2D and 3D, are relevant, but for me the one major advantage the 7000 has is the lens memories. It is truly marvelous to be able to see a scope movie (2.35:1) without any distracting horizontal black bars with just a touch of a button. I'm finally able to see these movies in all their picture glory. The new Blu-ray Indiana Jones trilogy coming out later this year is in this format and that is ONLY way to watch these classics. So you decide which one is right for you, but the 7000 will give you this valuable option.

Wolfie

So, I take it you have a 2.35:1 fixed screen then? I thought about doing a 2.35:1 screen, but concerned that I would have bars for 1.85 material, or that HDTV/Gaming content would not look correct. What exactly is your setup and what do you do with regard to HDTV/Games content?
post #10 of 15 Old 05-01-2012, 12:12 AM

All lcd and lcos projectors have issues with 3D ghosting and it seems to vary from unit to unit if you believe the reports, I think dlp is currrently the only tech that doesn't have this problem. If you want rock solid 3D then buy a dlp projector. My Panasonic for example requires atleast an hour warm up to get watchable 3D, without it the ghosting is really bad and even then it's never completely ghost free, it's still a bit visible on some of the more difficult content. Fortunately I don't really care for 3D anyway as it turns out but if I was serious about it I'd be looking at getting a dlp projector, maybe having a second projector just for 3D.
post #11 of 15 Old 05-01-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So, I take it you have a 2.35:1 fixed screen then? I thought about doing a 2.35:1 screen, but concerned that I would have bars for 1.85 material, or that HDTV/Gaming content would not look correct. What exactly is your setup and what do you do with regard to HDTV/Games content?

What I have works perfectly for the lens memories features. I have vertical curtains on both sides of the picture for masking and a horizontal valance for the top picture edge masking and cabinetry housing the electronics and speakers that align up at the bottom for the bottom picture edge masking. I'm not using a fixed screen, just the wall of the room painted with Ralph Laren Flat White Latex. When I do a lens memory for 2.35:1 scope pictures, I just draw out the side curtains to reveal the left and right extensions of the movie and it looks awsome with the wide-widescreen images. When I reset for 16:9 memory, I just draw the curtains back to the original position. Works great!

Wolfie
post #12 of 15 Old 05-01-2012, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvy111 View Post

All lcd and lcos projectors have issues with 3D ghosting and it seems to vary from unit to unit if you believe the reports, I think dlp is currrently the only tech that doesn't have this problem. If you want rock solid 3D then buy a dlp projector. My Panasonic for example requires atleast an hour warm up to get watchable 3D, without it the ghosting is really bad and even then it's never completely ghost free, it's still a bit visible on some of the more difficult content. Fortunately I don't really care for 3D anyway as it turns out but if I was serious about it I'd be looking at getting a dlp projector, maybe having a second projector just for 3D.

Well. That sucks. I mean, I want a great 2D projector as ALL the movies I watch won't be in 3D. But when I throw in a 3D movie I want it to look awesome as well. Damn, thought this was going to be easy(at least... easier)
post #13 of 15 Old 05-01-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:

Well. That sucks. I mean, I want a great 2D projector as ALL the movies I watch won't be in 3D. But when I throw in a 3D movie I want it to look awesome as well. Damn, thought this was going to be easy(at least... easier)

In the moderate price range the best projectors for doing 2D tend to only fair at doing 3D in terms of 3D crosstalk/ghosting. I own a JVC 3D projector and while is excellent for 2D, on some program material there is fair amount of visible 3D crosstalk (but on other program material little to no visible crosstalk). Actually for a moderate priced projector I would suggest you also consider the Epson 5010 as it is has a good balance between 2D and 3D performance. I suggest you check out the AVS thread for this Epson model as well as the review at projectorreviews.com. The BenQ W7000 is certainly also a stong contender in this price range and you should check out the AVS thread and so read the W7000 review at projectorreviews as well as the recently posted 2012 projector comparison report that includes both of these projectors, as well as the Panasonic, in the comparison of projectors in the $2000 to $3500 price range.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #14 of 15 Old 05-03-2012, 08:50 AM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 726
+1 ^^^^^

I would also check out Zombie10k's head to head of the epson, JVC, and benQ7000 he has lots of screen shots of the crosstalk (or lack thereof) in these PJ's in 3d mode and I really think youll find your winner between one of these. I have a year old jvc rs40 im trying to sell to get a little better 3d but the 2d on it is unparalleled, Ill hate to sacrifice a little there for better 3d. the epson and benq7000 both appear to be ghost-free and they are LCD and DLP respectively.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #15 of 15 Old 05-04-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

+1 ^^^^^

I would also check out Zombie10k's head to head of the epson, JVC, and benQ7000 he has lots of screen shots of the crosstalk (or lack thereof) in these PJ's in 3d mode and I really think youll find your winner between one of these. I have a year old jvc rs40 im trying to sell to get a little better 3d but the 2d on it is unparalleled, Ill hate to sacrifice a little there for better 3d. the epson and benq7000 both appear to be ghost-free and they are LCD and DLP respectively.

PM me with a quote on the JVC for sale.

Wolfie
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Optoma Hd33 3d Ready Dlp Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page