Alright AVS, guide me to the right projector! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-01-2012, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've been reading up on various threads and all I've found is this purchase will be a tougher decision that I originally anticipated. I've owned two projectors previous to now both Infocus (LP450?) and an IN76. Last year, I took down my screen, PJ, and equipment in order to sell my townhouse. Long story short-- I'll be moving later this summer and I'm trying to figure the best projector to fill the home theater hole left in my life.

So I was originally leaning toward the Panasonic AE7000, as its so highly reviewed loved by users here. My understanding is that it's the best 2D projector in the price range, but 3D doesn't work so well?

I figure 80% of the time I'll be watching standard 2D movies, but I intend to buy 3D versions of movies whenever possible. Truth be told, I want the 3D so I can watch Tron Legacy. So i want the 3D to look fantastic-- as good as or better than the theater. I'm not sure if the crosstalk issues people are experiencing is because of equipment malfunction, equipment design, or miscalibration? Regardless, I'd like to spend between 2 and 5K on a projector.

I already have a Carada 106" HCG 16:9 screen. Depending on my new place, I might upgrade to a larger screen and .... eventually get the Horizontal Masquerade. Regardless, I'll be upgrading the screen material to a 1.0 or 1.4 gain screen.

SO. I think that's everything. I want hassle-free 3D and I want 2D to look equally awesome. I have a PS3 for blueray/3D content. I don't really game all that much but suppose gaming would occur on the projector when my little brother came by, etc.

I've been here a long time and I'm just starting to reacquaint myself with the process of selecting a projector. I'm hoping this community can do it's thing and point me in the direction of a solid projector purchase.

Big thanks!

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-01-2012, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonichart View Post

I want hassle-free 3D and I want 2D to look equally awesome.

The best 2D projectors are not the best at 3D. The JVC RS-55 and JVC RS-45 are the best at 2d. The Panny 7000 was never the best at anything, it just had 2.35/CIH that is why some people love it (but the JVC's have this as well).

The best 3D projector is the Benq w7000 DLP. The best 2D and 3D balanced projectors (good at both) are the Sony hw30 and Epson 5010.

I would probably go with a Benq w7000 myself if I were in your shoes, but would also consider the Sony hw30.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3 of 3 Old 05-01-2012, 07:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonichart View Post

I've been reading up on various threads and all I've found is this purchase will be a tougher decision that I originally anticipated. I've owned two projectors previous to now both Infocus (LP450?) and an IN76. Last year, I took down my screen, PJ, and equipment in order to sell my townhouse. Long story short-- I'll be moving later this summer and I'm trying to figure the best projector to fill the home theater hole left in my life.

So I was originally leaning toward the Panasonic AE7000, as its so highly reviewed loved by users here. My understanding is that it's the best 2D projector in the price range, but 3D doesn't work so well?

I figure 80% of the time I'll be watching standard 2D movies, but I intend to buy 3D versions of movies whenever possible. Truth be told, I want the 3D so I can watch Tron Legacy. So i want the 3D to look fantastic-- as good as or better than the theater. I'm not sure if the crosstalk issues people are experiencing is because of equipment malfunction, equipment design, or miscalibration? Regardless, I'd like to spend between 2 and 5K on a projector.

I already have a Carada 106" HCG 16:9 screen. Depending on my new place, I might upgrade to a larger screen and .... eventually get the Horizontal Masquerade. Regardless, I'll be upgrading the screen material to a 1.0 or 1.4 gain screen.

SO. I think that's everything. I want hassle-free 3D and I want 2D to look equally awesome. I have a PS3 for blueray/3D content. I don't really game all that much but suppose gaming would occur on the projector when my little brother came by, etc.

I've been here a long time and I'm just starting to reacquaint myself with the process of selecting a projector. I'm hoping this community can do it's thing and point me in the direction of a solid projector purchase.

Big thanks!

Phil

Give us a call and we can discuss the pros and cons of all the projectors in your budget.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Sony Vpl Hw30es 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page