JVC X30 with 2.35:1 Screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 05-06-2012, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All,

After weeks of deliberation (and thanks to seeing one at Eastporters - Dave there is very helpful), I have my mind set on getting an X30 and want to get a 2.35:1 screen since I watch mostly movies. The JVC has lens memory which will be useful but I was wondering if anyone has specific experience with the JVC X30 and a 120-130" 2.35:1 screen (1.0 gain) and can post their experience... light loss, mount distance, sitting distance.

The Elune Reference Studio screens look gorgeous and I would really like to watch Blade Runner in all its glory.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-08-2012, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

BUMP...

Can someone please post their experience with a JVC X30/RS45 with a 2.35 screen and using the zoom/lens memory?

Thanks in advance.
post #3 of 18 Old 05-08-2012, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I reviewed it (link to website in signature) with my 122", 2.40 screen, though it is 1.3 gain instead of 1.0. Lens memory works well, though it isn't really fast, but it works very well overall. While in low lamp mode with the iris wide open I got 23 ftL of light with a 16:9 image, once that was blown up to fill the whole 2.40:1 screen that light level dropped down to 14-15 ftL, and that's with a brand new bulb. With 1.0 gain you'd be starting at 10-11 ftL of light for 2.35 content and falling after that unless you run in high lamp mode.

If that's fine then you should go for it, but with a screen that size I'd likely recommend a gain of 1.3-1.5 or so, just to avoid buying new bulbs continually, or shrinking it down to something smaller so you can stay in low lamp mode for longer.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
post #4 of 18 Old 05-08-2012, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Smackrabbit. I didn't realize the light drop-off would be so high when zooming in. And I agree about trying to save on bulb costs.

How far are you sitting from your screen and is your room totally light controlled?

I will also check out the links in your signature.

Thanks!
post #5 of 18 Old 05-08-2012, 10:30 AM

i have a monoprice 130" diagonal 2.35 screen (1.0). its perfect (at least brightness, etc.). i came from a stewart. thought i'd take the gamble on a $350 screen and it paid off.

but...the image is great on that size. the only issue is that the lens memory slightly forgets when you go back to 16.9 (aka the image goes down one click). but...it works (especially for the ohh ahh going from 16.9 to 2.35). nothing else is like it.
post #6 of 18 Old 05-08-2012, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have a 138" diagonal 2:35 screen with a gain of 1.1 and find it plenty bright on low lamp mode. Some people prefer a very bright image, but even with the lamp on low, I find it every bit as bright as the commercial theater.

Headless Petie
post #7 of 18 Old 05-09-2012, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks mark and jbn008! You are making me feel a little better with my prospective purchase.

How far back is the projector mounted in each case and how far back are you sitting?

Do you watch a lot of 16:9 content and if so are the black bars on the side distracting or unattractive? A masking system is cost prohibitive for me.
post #8 of 18 Old 05-09-2012, 06:13 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 410
I dont exactly fit your criteria, but I am using a 9' wide 2.35 2.8HP screen where I am getting ~2.1 or so real world gain at my normal center seat with my RS45 mounted 17.5' away. When zoomed out to 9' wide and at ~500 hours on the bulb, I find the image is still plenty bright in low lamp even with my iris at -9.

The lens memory helps out vs doing it manually each time, but it is a bit slow and hardly ever exactly precise. I would say at minimum, 9 times out of 10 I have to manually make small adjustments once the lens memory does its thing. The good news is you only have to adjust the lens shift as zoom and focus always seem to be dead on. Not a huge deal, but it would be nice if the models hitting later this year refined this even more and made it totally accurate.

The side bars for 1.78/85 are not noticeable at all (in my room at least) unless you actually sit there and look for them. Since these are not projected light, I think a big part of how noticeable these are or not depends on how good your room is at killing the reflected light off the screen. If the light coming off your screen gets reflected back to the screen, you will notice them more so proper room treatment will go a long way in keeping these unnoticed from my experience. I have never felt the need for any masking with the side bars like I did with top/bottom bars on my old 1.78 screen with 2.35 movies.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #9 of 18 Old 05-09-2012, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Again, thanks so much Toe. I am feeling very good about my impending purchase! I think the only issue is whether I go for the 2:35 120" or 130" since the wall will be 14' wide and want to ensure that my speakers don't block the screen.
post #10 of 18 Old 05-09-2012, 09:13 AM

my wall is 14' wide. my projector is about 14.5 back from the screen. my screen is 130" diagonal.

#1.) speakers are not blocking screen;

#2.) zoom is no problem;

#3.) do not notice black bars;

#4.) buy it as very few people have this effect (2.35 image) on a screen! believe it or not the movie wild hogs (2.35) is an awesome show off. of course pirates is good as well. my seating is about 10-feet and we love it.
post #11 of 18 Old 05-09-2012, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Wow Markm!!! That is very useful information and exactly what I needed to know.

How about bulb hours and brightness... what do you have it set to (Econ/High) and are you noticing a lot of dimming over time. As per the earlier post I don't want to have to run in High mode and get even less life on the bulb.

I know there is a JVC bulb life thread but it doesn't seem like it's being update regularly.
post #12 of 18 Old 05-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I would also use Coderguy's screen size calculator for this, since it gives some pretty accurate results for what you are after. The recommendation for brightness is usually 14-16ftL, but I've watched plenty of screens that are at 7-8 ftL and have been fine with that. The concern is if you start at 10 ftL or so, you can only drop so far before it starts to get too dim. If you start at 15 ftL you can get to half brightness and probably still find it OK. What people find to be too dim is all personal preference, I can only offer up the numbers and what I found with it.

Adjusting from Lens Memory is usually only 1-2 clicks I found, and while slow, it was a bit more accurate than on the Sony 95ES. I do wish it had 5 positions instead of 3, but it works OK, and is much cheaper than an anamorphic lens.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
post #13 of 18 Old 05-09-2012, 01:50 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm@silverlink.net View Post

my wall is 14' wide. my projector is about 14.5 back from the screen. my screen is 130" diagonal.

#2.) zoom is no problem;

#4.) buy it as very few people have this effect (2.35 image) on a screen! believe it or not the movie wild hogs (2.35) is an awesome show off. of course pirates is good as well. my seating is about 10-feet and we love it.

mark, did you and others buy your projector via this forum? If so, did you go with an extended warranty? If so, who did you get your Ex. warranty from?

I'm asking because I've heard the name Mack Camera as a warranty but I'm not real familiar with them or where to get the warranty from. Thanks in advance.
post #14 of 18 Old 10-23-2012, 10:33 AM

I came across this thread last night and I think you guys could help me out.

I recently purchased an JVC X30 and now want to go to a 2.35:1 138" screen if I can. My main use will be BD movies and I would like a electric drop down screen. I will be sitting in the front row ~12' away

1. Will the 2.35:1 138" Elite CineTension 2 work with this layout? I beleive the screen gain is 1.1
  2. Does the X30 do the 2.35:1 without an extra anamorphic lens?
  3. Do I mount the PJ's lens at the top of the screen?
  4. Should I move the PJ closer to the screen?

Thanks for any help, Eric.

post #15 of 18 Old 10-24-2012, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpersaud View Post

BUMP...

Can someone please post their experience with a JVC X30/RS45 with a 2.35 screen and using the zoom/lens memory?

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpersaud View Post

Thanks mark and jbn008! You are making me feel a little better with my prospective purchase.

How far back is the projector mounted in each case and how far back are you sitting?

Do you watch a lot of 16:9 content and if so are the black bars on the side distracting or unattractive? A masking system is cost prohibitive for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm@silverlink.net View Post

#2.) zoom is no problem;

We're setting up a new media room. I'm coming from a 16x9 110 inch High Power (2.8) electric (Da-Lite Cosmopolitan Electrol) and a good DLP (Benq PE8720). Super sharp/bright picture. The new room is too small for this set up as we'll need to sit about 10 feet away and need to go to 1080P. The new room is about the same size as mentioned here.

By coincidence, I'm thinking of going to a 2.35 electric High Power and a B-stock or refurb JVC X30. This thread is answering a number of questions. I have a few more:

I'll be shooting from a ceiling mount at 16 feet throw. My wall is 14' wide. My screen should be about 130" Does Da-Lite make an electric drop screen in High Power with a 2.35 AR?

I watch a lot of high def sports (like tonight's World Series). The powered lens memory is important to me. I thought that it was "right on" with one button. How long does it take to shift from 2.35 to 16x9, and tweak it to fit and focus? Has anyone here with a JVC experimented with a Lumagen (or similar) to change Aspect ratios without black bars and completely fill a 2.35 screen?

Thanks
post #16 of 18 Old 09-14-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I want to test out 2.35 on my X30 not sure how?

I don't have a screen yet, I have one on order that should have shipped over two weeks ago, but it is a 16:9 screen. Now am thinking about canceling it and getting a 2.35 screen instead.

Would I be correct in assuming you simply expand the image so that the top and bottom black bars displayed in 2.35 Blu Ray movie for example overlap the screens top and bottom black bars?

Thanks
post #17 of 18 Old 09-14-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socio View Post

I want to test out 2.35 on my X30 not sure how?

I don't have a screen yet, I have one on order that should have shipped over two weeks ago, but it is a 16:9 screen. Now am thinking about canceling it and getting a 2.35 screen instead.

Would I be correct in assuming you simply expand the image so that the top and bottom black bars displayed in 2.35 Blu Ray movie for example overlap the screens top and bottom black bars?

Thanks

Correct. Then you store that setting in memory. Then reduce the image so that it fits top and bottom of the screen for 16:9 and store that for the 16:9 setting.
Socio likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #18 of 18 Old 09-15-2013, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Correct. Then you store that setting in memory. Then reduce the image so that it fits top and bottom of the screen for 16:9 and store that for the 16:9 setting.

Thanks worked like a charm!

I am just using a white wall for now, marked the top and bottom of the 16:9 image already being projected with pieces of tape saved it to memory one then switched to a 2:35 movie and expanded the image so the top and bottom of image minus bars was the same height as the 16:9 image using the tape as markers and saved it to memory two.

Testing it out last night we found a movie on Showtime called Ong Bak 3 being broadcast in 2:35, I hit memory two to see the difference and we ended up watching the whole thing.

I find it far more immersive, its like being at a real movie theater, which sucks because now I don't ever want to view a movie with black bars again, as a result I have canceled my 16:9 screen order and now have to shop for a 2:35 one. biggrin.gif
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla X30b 3d D Ila Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page