Suggestion for 3D Projector for New Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-13-2012, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
We are moving into a new house and my wife has *SUGGESTED* that we use the main family room as a theater. (Yeah, I about passed out too!)

The key is that it needs to be a functional "family room" when we aren't watching stuff. She has given me a decent budget, but I'm trying to get the most out of what I can.

The room is 25' long by 19' wide.
There is a fireplace and built in bookshelves across the back, so there is about 20' of usable space. We will probably have a couch, or a couple chairs approx 15' from the front of the room. There are two large windows in the room, one at the front, and another on the left side (as you face the front). We're thinking we'd put a motorized screen in front of the front window, and a motorized blackout shade in front of the side window, and have the projector mounted on the ceiling behind the main seating area.

I'm looking at the BenQ W7000, and the Epson Cinema Pro 6010 right now. Probably 90-95% of what we watch now is 2D, but my son is obsessed with 3D movies, and there are a few that I like as well. I'd like to have a really good 1080p 2D projector, with decent 3D capabilities. My budget is about $4,000 at the highest.

Projectors are completely new beast to me, so I appreciate any suggestions and/or advice!

Thanks!

Sean Hull

Denon 3808ci | PS3 80Gb | Harmony One | Toshiba XA2 | Samsung 61" PN60E6500EF | HTPC with HDMI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-13-2012, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1382091

This thread pretty much sums it up!
post #3 of 11 Old 05-17-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The Panasonic AE7000, is selling now for around $2500 and it has lens memory for different aspect ratios.

Wolfie
post #4 of 11 Old 05-17-2012, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Wolfie and Ronomy

I read through the first few, and last few pages of that thread Ronomy (sorry, can't bring myself to read 200+ pages). I think I ruled the Epson out, but still liked the BenQ, and then added the Sony to the mix :P

Ahh, killing me. Maybe I'll get lucky and win the lottery in the next few weeks and I can buy a $20k 2D, and a good 3D and stack them :P

Sean Hull

Denon 3808ci | PS3 80Gb | Harmony One | Toshiba XA2 | Samsung 61" PN60E6500EF | HTPC with HDMI

post #5 of 11 Old 05-17-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
If AVS still has any JVC RS-40's left, I would buy one of their B-stock in addition to an Optoma hd33 for your 3D usage. All under 3.5k and you'd get the best of all worlds IMHO. Plus 2 projectors is just superior to one no matter what. The RS-40 actually does 3D ok in some movies, so you'd have awesome 3D for dark movies (JVC), great 3D for bright movies (Optoma), perfect gaming and sports projector (Optoma), and a projector that is best at 2D movies (JVC).

Or even cheaper, the RS-40 + an Optoma or Acer 720p 3D projector, under 2.5k total and you're all set. If you are going to buy just one projector, then I'd go with the Sony or Epson, not the Benq. Considering how far back you are, I'd probably go with the Epson if going with just (1) projector.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #6 of 11 Old 05-19-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

If AVS still has any JVC RS-40's left, I would buy one of their B-stock in addition to an Optoma hd33 for your 3D usage. All under 3.5k and you'd get the best of all worlds IMHO. Plus 2 projectors is just superior to one no matter what. The RS-40 actually does 3D ok in some movies, so you'd have awesome 3D for dark movies (JVC), great 3D for bright movies (Optoma), perfect gaming and sports projector (Optoma), and a projector that is best at 2D movies (JVC).

Or even cheaper, the RS-40 + an Optoma or Acer 720p 3D projector, under 2.5k total and you're all set. If you are going to buy just one projector, then I'd go with the Sony or Epson, not the Benq. Considering how far back you are, I'd probably go with the Epson if going with just (1) projector.

I have to admit I use an Acer H5360 with a VIP 3D theatre/rf glasses and have been very happy with 3D. In fact this week I tried using the offsets to adjust grey scale through the glasses and was able to get grey scale dialed in near perfect. What a difference! Gamut could be better but its not as bad as my JVC RS1 without correction. I use the RS1 for 2D corrected with a DVDO Duo.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-19-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy49 View Post

We are moving into a new house and my wife has *SUGGESTED* that we use the main family room as a theater. (Yeah, I about passed out too!)

The key is that it needs to be a functional "family room" when we aren't watching stuff. She has given me a decent budget, but I'm trying to get the most out of what I can.

The room is 25' long by 19' wide.
There is a fireplace and built in bookshelves across the back, so there is about 20' of usable space. We will probably have a couch, or a couple chairs approx 15' from the front of the room. There are two large windows in the room, one at the front, and another on the left side (as you face the front). We're thinking we'd put a motorized screen in front of the front window, and a motorized blackout shade in front of the side window, and have the projector mounted on the ceiling behind the main seating area.

I'm looking at the BenQ W7000, and the Epson Cinema Pro 6010 right now. Probably 90-95% of what we watch now is 2D, but my son is obsessed with 3D movies, and there are a few that I like as well. I'd like to have a really good 1080p 2D projector, with decent 3D capabilities. My budget is about $4,000 at the highest.

Projectors are completely new beast to me, so I appreciate any suggestions and/or advice!

Thanks!

Give us a call and we can talk about a package deal with the other items that you are interested in. Coderguy's suggestion is a good one. Slightly more money, but you would be getting among the best 2D and 3D.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-19-2012, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I personally own an rs40 and an acer h5360. It's been great. With that being said, sounds like the Epson is a solid all around performer.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-19-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith808 View Post

I personally own an rs40 and an acer h5360. It's been great. With that being said, sounds like the Epson is a solid all around performer.

How is the RS40 bulb situation working out for you?

Ron
post #10 of 11 Old 05-20-2012, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Too early to tell. Only have 50 hours.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-20-2012, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I think the bulbs are the one thing that I worry about when buying a projector. How long will they last, how much are they, and how long will be able to buy new ones.

There is a local guy who has a Runco RS1100 with Whitney 2.35:1 Super Wide Anamorphic Lens that he said he'd make me a good deal on. First off, it's like a 6yr old projector that they stopped manufacturing a few years ago. I know computer gear, and if someone offered to sell me a $20k computer 6 years later, I would expect a HELL of a deal, and wouldn't expect a whole lot performance wise when compared to current gen gear.

Any thoughts on how the Runco would compare to the JVC RS40?
Any thoughts on what it would be worth?

Sean Hull

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Jvc Dla Rs40u , Optoma Hd33 3d Ready Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page