Sony HW30 / PS3 Bluray Signal Issues... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-20-2012, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys, just recently got the HW-30 installed, got my HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, and such, all running through my Marantz SR5003 through a 25' foot media bridge 1.4 rated HDMI cable to the Projector.

XBOX 360 works fine, HTPC works fine, even playing 1080p video sources. For some reason the PS3 doesnt want to work properly playing a blu-ray disc. The signal does a combination of being/looking fine, having a weird snow effect on upper or lower half of the screen, and flashing/popping in and out.

I confirmed its not the PS3 by removing the PS3 and using an older 1.3a 10' cable directly connecting it to the receiver, blu-ray then played just fine.

I read that super long cable lengths like this can cause signal issues. Does this sound like that is what the problem is? I looked it up and these are 28awg cables, im thinking of ordering a 22awg 20 foot, instead of 25ft cable from monoprice and hoping that solves the problem.

Any input would be great, i would really like to avoid buying an ultra expensive monster cable or something like that to resolve this issue.

Klipsch RF-62 L/R, RC-62 C, Energy C-100 SL/SR, HSU VTF-15H, Marantz SR5003.

"All speakers sound good when you're on a coke binge in the middle of an orgy." - Heebdawg16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-20-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 107
It might be the cable as the PS3 will use "deep color" by generating extra bit depth when playing Blu-rays as long as the connected HDTV (or projector) says it supports deep color (in the HDMI handshake). Your other 1080p sources may not do this. Using 12-bit deep color will require 50% more bandwidth of the HDMI cable than standard 8-bit color depth. Also playing Blu-ray 3Ds will normally require more bandwidth than playing standard 2D Blu-rays. Also 28 AWG conductors should not be used in HDMI cables for lengths beyond around 12 ft. (or so) if you want to run the most demanding HD video signals (e.g., 1080p/60, deep color, 3D, etc.).

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #3 of 8 Old 05-20-2012, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok cool, im gonna try the 22awg cable form monoprice then, hopefully that will work

"All speakers sound good when you're on a coke binge in the middle of an orgy." - Heebdawg16
post #4 of 8 Old 05-20-2012, 08:16 PM

Liked: 10
I'm getting my receiver tomorrow - have It connected to HW30 with 22G 20 feet long monoprice cable. I'll let U know tomorrow if there are any issues with my PS3 ))
post #5 of 8 Old 05-21-2012, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajbolit View Post

I'm getting my receiver tomorrow - have It connected to HW30 with 22G 20 feet long monoprice cable. I'll let U know tomorrow if there are any issues with my PS3 ))

Sweet, thank you so much

post #6 of 8 Old 05-21-2012, 07:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajbolit View Post

Should not be a problem. I have tested the 25' 22 gauge HDMI cable from Monoprice and it passes 3D.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #7 of 8 Old 05-24-2012, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just thought you guys would like to know it was definitely the cable. Once i got it up and running between Dolby HD and the video it was doing anywhere from 30-55+ Mbps.

BTW, This projector is friggin amazing. When i bought my Panny 50" V10 series, it was supposed to have pretty much the best image quality you could get outside of a couple screens that cost twice as much. This projector overall is as good or better in 95% of the videos ive viewed on it vs that Panny.

On a side tangent, how the *hell* anyone can stand those 120hz/240hz cinesmooth type of things is beyond me. It makes it look absolutely horrid to me, as if you're on some type of hallucinogen and the image is taking a few tenths of a second to actually catch up to the movement from the unfocused parts. I remember hating it when i bought my panny plasma (one of the main reason i bought the plasma) and it seems the technology hasnt gotten even 1 lick better, at least as far as my eyes are concerned.

post #8 of 8 Old 05-29-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

It could also be the receiver/cable. I have had many issues where a receiver has a tough time passing certain signals, and it can work with one projector, not another, different cable, etc... I am glad the cable rectified it for you...HDMI is a pain really.

I agree on the 120/240...I cannot stand it myself.

Jason C. Turk
Technical Support, Customer Service, Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
Direct Line: 585-645-1004
Email: jason@avscience.com

Don't forget my nearly 13,000 posts under my old ID!

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw30es 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page