List of best 3D movies for JVC Projectors - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 05-22-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi
just got my new pj RS45 , also i've ordered glassess and emitter, i know that jvc has very poor 3d,but ive decided go with it anyhow.
Just wondered,JVC users notice that some movies are better in 3d and some are worse (ghosting)
Can you post here some list of the best looking 3d movies in RS45?

regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 05-22-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 115
You should spend time in our forum dedicated to 3D content.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...ysprune=&f=196

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
For Sale: ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair)[/B]:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
post #3 of 28 Old 05-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Avatar shows the least amount of ghosting from all the 3d movies I have watched on both the 40 and 45.

Giants of Patagonia is the worst I have seen so steer clear of this one!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #4 of 28 Old 05-22-2012, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

You should spend time in our forum dedicated to 3D content.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...ysprune=&f=196

i know that 3d forum,but im looking for opinion of jvc users
post #5 of 28 Old 05-22-2012, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Funny this thread should pop up. I did a google search yesterday with nearly the exact same words and didn't come up with anything. This is a good way to get real world information from JVC owners. BTW, I have a JVC X70 that I haven't installed yet. I do have Avatar in 3D (mailed off for it after buying a Panasonic DMP-BDT210 3D bluray player). I've read several JVC users say that this is one of the better 3D titles on the JVCs.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

post #6 of 28 Old 05-22-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 150
The below aren't the best, but just a few I've personally seen without much ghosting, but I haven't watched enough 3D to determine "the best".

Imax: Under the Sea does not ghost too bad, there are a few parts where it ghosts. It does have some good popouts and the fish can be scary.

Resident Evil 3D Afterlife: Almost no ghosting except a couple short parts in the entire movie. I didn't care for Resident Evil as far as the movie itself, but the 3D was good at times. The effect is sometimes muted and then there are scenes that suddenly POP it up a notch.

Ultimate Wave Tahiti 3D: Not really much ghosting (definitely a few spots), but the 3D effects on this disk are spread around.

The 3D on the JVC's are really not that bad, there are just some movies that bring out the worst in it.

The reason I wouldn't call the JVC's 3D "Very Poor" is because it actually wins in some dark scenes in 3D, but in some brighter content the ghosting is distracting. There isn't a lot of SCI FI or dark scenes in 3D that I have seen yet overall, so I think this is another reason the JVC rates so poor in 3D. Expect more SCI FI and movies with darker content to start coming out in 3D, then people may be complaining about the black levels on their NON-JVC (well maybe not since most people are watching 3D so dark anyhow).

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #7 of 28 Old 05-22-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 401
i've got'em all.. good and bad 3D movies..

for the JVC, any of the current Imax titles will look nice. Avatar and Underworld Evolution looks good as well.

The tough titles are going to be mainly the animations with high contrast scenes. Meet the Robinsons, Bolt, Happy Feet 2, Despicable me, Sammy's Adventures, etc.

everyone's tolerances for ghosting are going to be different. We focus on it because it's become a benchmark for how well a 3D projector can handle difficult content, but if I invite non-av enthusiasts over to watch 3D on my RS55, I doubt anyone is going to notice much since they'll be engaged with watching 3D on a big screen.
post #8 of 28 Old 05-22-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 212
In terms of Blu-ray 3D movies (not IMAX documentaries) Hugo and Avatar are the best I've seen on my RS40.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #9 of 28 Old 05-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

In terms of Blu-ray 3D movies (not IMAX documentaries) Hugo and Avatar are the best I've seen on my RS40.

Hugo does not ghost bad on the JVC? I have been avoiding that one in 3d (and some others) due to what I figured would be a ghost ridden showing on the RS45. I have been pretty turned off with 3d in general TBH with the JVC the last 200-300 hours and cant even remember the last 3d title I watched (Peter Gabriel maybe? I turned that one off, but not because of ghosting!). I even opted for the 2d version of Underworld last night, but I might check that one out in 3d later this week since it was mentioned in this thread to not be bad with ghosting.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #10 of 28 Old 05-22-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Ghosting is only one issue with 3D. The biggest problem I've had with the RS40 is that after 200 hours on the lamp, 3D is basically too dim to watch/enjoy.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

post #11 of 28 Old 05-22-2012, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post

Ghosting is only one issue with 3D. The biggest problem I've had with the RS40 is that after 200 hours on the lamp, 3D is basically too dim to watch/enjoy.

are you serious?i have now 2 hours on clock but im sure i will get first houndred soon and than another...so that bit scary...
post #12 of 28 Old 05-22-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It just depends on your setup (JVC throw position, screen gain, screen size). I have lost almost 50% and I can still watch 3D ok after 400 hours on the lamp, but I have an HP 2.4 gain screen (106" getting about 1.6 gain from my mounting spot).

Plus the JVC does have a torch mode for 3D, albeit not as torchy as many projectors.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #13 of 28 Old 05-22-2012, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Hugo does not ghost bad on the JVC? I have been avoiding that one in 3d (and some others) due to what I figured would be a ghost ridden showing on the RS45. I have been pretty turned off with 3d in general TBH with the JVC the last 200-300 hours and cant even remember the last 3d title I watched (Peter Gabriel maybe? I turned that one off, but not because of ghosting!). I even opted for the 2d version of Underworld last night, but I might check that one out in 3d later this week since it was mentioned in this thread to not be bad with ghosting.

Very little ghosting on my RS40 or on a second RS40 I watched it on at a another AVS member's home theater.

Ron Jones
post #14 of 28 Old 05-23-2012, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Wow, talk about polar opposite experiences with Hugo on the rs40. On my rs40, Hugo is absolutely unwatchable! Ghosting galore! The faces look like they have 2 noses. I swear this rs40 has far worse ghosting than 2 others I've seen. Yet apparently jvc wont do anything about it. I only have 50 hours on it. Is there anything that can be done under warranty with ghosting?
post #15 of 28 Old 05-23-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith808 View Post

Wow, talk about polar opposite experiences with Hugo on the rs40. On my rs40, Hugo is absolutely unwatchable! Ghosting galore! The faces look like they have 2 noses. I swear this rs40 has far worse ghosting than 2 others I've seen. Yet apparently jvc wont do anything about it. I only have 50 hours on it. Is there anything that can be done under warranty with ghosting?

There are two basic causes for 3D crosstalk/ghosting. One is the LCoS display chips have too long a response time and cannot fully transition from one image (e.g., right view) to the next image (e.g., left view) fast enough. The second possible cause is incorrect sync. between the projector and the 3D active shutter glasses. Most of the issues with 3D ghosting with the JVC projectors is caused by the response time of the LCoS chips. This problem becomes worse as the bulb ages, is not allowed time to fully heat up the LCoS chips before you start viewing in 3D mode, or if operated in low lamp mode for 3D. This is because the LCoS chips have better response times at higher temperatures. However, since you have the problem with a new projector/lamp, perhaps you have a sync. problem with your 3D glasses.

Are you using the JVC glasses and are they the new or old models?

Are you usng the JVC 3D IR emitter?

Do you have more than one pair of 3D glasses and is the level of 3D ghosting the same will all of your glasses?

Do you see high levels of 3D ghosting with virtually all Blu-ray 3D titles?

Ron Jones
post #16 of 28 Old 05-24-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Are you using the JVC glasses and are they the new or old models? Are you usng the JVC 3D IR emitter?

I am using the Monstervision/Optoma IR emitter and glasses.

Do you have more than one pair of 3D glasses and is the level of 3D ghosting the same will all of your glasses?

I have 7 pairs and they all exhibit the same level of ghosting.

Do you see high levels of 3D ghosting with virtually all Blu-ray 3D titles?

All have some ghosting, but scenes with lighter backgrounds and darker objects show horrible ghosting ( Toy Story, Hugo). Movies such as Avatar and Tron weren't too bad.

Keep in mind that this is the 3rd RS40 I've owned. One I owned when it first was released. The second was one of the B-stocks from AVS. It had a green stripe down the right side of the image. Both of these exhibited less ghosting in the same test scenes in various movies. The second rs40 I actually had up until the very day that the 3rd, the replacement arrived. I was thus able to test the exact scenes, with the sames glasses and emitter. I instantly could tell the difference.

Note that I also have an Acer H5360 and use the same 3d glasses/emitter on them and they work great.
post #17 of 28 Old 05-24-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:

Note that I also have an Acer H5360 and use the same 3d glasses/emitter on them and they work great.

how are you using the MV3D's with the 5360? do you have the VIP or Optoma converter?
post #18 of 28 Old 05-24-2012, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

3dxl, monster emitter plugged into vesa.
post #19 of 28 Old 05-24-2012, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

3dxl, monster emitter plugged into vesa.

How do 3D PQ of the Acer compare to the rs40? Not counting ghosting of course. I'm thinking about selling my Acer and gettting one of the under $1500 1080p 3D DLP projectors.
post #20 of 28 Old 05-24-2012, 09:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
3D looks fine on my RS45. Fire me! "Drive Angry 3D" was shot in 3D and is a very funny and entertaining movie with delightful Amber Heard and amusing William Fichtner. Try it. You'll like it!
post #21 of 28 Old 05-25-2012, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

How do 3D PQ of the Acer compare to the rs40? Not counting ghosting of course. I'm thinking about selling my Acer and gettting one of the under $1500 1080p 3D DLP projectors.

I had an Optoma hd33 briefly. The lower contrast with the darkchip 2 was disappointing. The Acer has a darkchip 3.

The 1080p resolution of the rs40 and the hd33 was nice but I still prefer the 3d image of the Acer because of zero ghosting and decent contrast. The other 2 have glaring weaknesses in 3d. The 720p resolution only bothers me from time to time.

If you don't count ghosting then the rs40 is better than the Acer in most other ways. But the ghosting is so bad in many movies that I don't see how you could not consider that.

Actually the 96hz in 3d on the rs40 causes eyestrain. I can play 3d games on the Acer, 120hz 3d for hours and be fine.
post #22 of 28 Old 05-25-2012, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
In is interesting that some people are bothered more from ghosting than others. Reminds me of the DLP rainbow issues. I have a JVS RS45 and I can see ghosting to varying degrees on many films. I have seen bad ghosting in some parts of Hugo. In other parts of the film it was not that bad. It is often really bad in animated films such as Sammy's Adventure and others. Avatar and Tron are not bad. That being said most viewers will not notice the ghosting unless it is pointed out. I have other issues with 3D along with ghosting. A very bright picture is a must and this is a factor that should be considered in buying a projector for 3D use. I love the JVC for 2D but if one plans to watch a lot of 3D one might want to consider a different choice such as the Benq, Epson, or Sony. I have tried the JVC, MV, & Xpand 104 glasses and see no difference in ghosting on the JVC.
post #23 of 28 Old 05-25-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had an Optoma hd33 briefly. The lower contrast with the darkchip 2 was disappointing. The Acer has a darkchip 3.

The 1080p resolution of the rs40 and the hd33 was nice but I still prefer the 3d image of the Acer because of zero ghosting and decent contrast. The other 2 have glaring weaknesses in 3d. The 720p resolution only bothers me from time to time.

If you don't count ghosting then the rs40 is better than the Acer in most other ways. But the ghosting is so bad in many movies that I don't see how you could not consider that.

Actually the 96hz in 3d on the rs40 causes eyestrain. I can play 3d games on the Acer, 120hz 3d for hours and be fine.

Ok, I have the Acer but I only played ps3 games on it. I was thinking about getting a 3dxl for the Acer or getting an Optoma HD33 or Acer 9500. I guess I will just go with the 3dxl, since I only do 3D 2-3 times a month. I just wanted to know what your thought about the PQ of the Acer compared to the rs40 and if it was a big difference to you in 3D for 1080p to 720p. I actually was never bothered too much with ghosting on my RS40 last year and RS55 this year. I guess the only other 3D projector I would choose is the Benq W7000, but I don't really want to spend $2200 just for 3D.
post #24 of 28 Old 05-25-2012, 12:23 PM

I have had great success with 3D on my DLA-X9 with 3D blue ray. Avatar was amazing, and the animated stuff like Shrek looked good as well, without ghosting.

3D TV via comcast is absolutely horrible though. I am not sure if it because of the side/side top/bottom way they send the signal, but it is pretty unwatchable. The difference between that and the blu ray movies is huge.

I am looking to get Yogi to check out the 3D, since I heard it was really good. But again, with blu ray movies, I think the 3D is really really good.

My setup is an elite screens 125" screen, with basically no gain (1.1). I mounted my projector almost as close to the screen as I could, giving myself maybe 10-20% from the limit of the zoom. My normal viewing distance is around 18', but I have stood 6 or 8 feet from the projector and the 3d looked just as good.

I am outputting to the projector from my PC using PowerDVD 10 and Sandy bridge graphics (HD3000) at 24P(FP) though and Onkyo tx-nr809.
post #25 of 28 Old 05-25-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The Acer 5360 does not have higher contrast than the Optoma hd33. The Acer 9500bd does beat the Optoma hd33 in black levels, but not the 5360. The Dark Chip version does not determine the contrast of the projector by any stretch of the imagination (it can affect it some, but not a huge amount). If the Optoma looked less contrasty than the Acer, then something was wrong with the calibration or you had a bad unit.

Contrast is mainly determined on a DLP by how they darken the mirrors and lens paths with optical coatings and the way they rig the mirrors to reduce backwash reflection inside the path and the quality of the overall optics, as the DLP mirrors cause light pollution in the device. There are (4) main things that determine a DLP's contrast, but I won't go into it all. When they add all those coatings and adjust the light path, they reduce brightness but increase contrast.

For instance, the Mits hc4000 has the highest Native On/Off of a DLP under $2000, and it is also one of the darker DLP's in this price range (no coincidence). The Acer 9500bd and Optoma hd33 have about the same Native On/Off, but the reason the 9500bd beats it is because the 9500 has an IRIS and the Optoma hd33 does not.

post #26 of 28 Old 05-26-2012, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

The Acer 5360 does not have higher contrast than the Optoma hd33.

It's not a night and day difference but I definitely could notice a difference. Have you actually tried these two pj's side by side in 3d? I really wanted to like the hd33 but the picture just looked flatter.

I also briefly owned the Mitsubishi HC4000. Very nice native contrast for a dlp in that price range.
post #27 of 28 Old 05-26-2012, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

Ok, I have the Acer but I only played ps3 games on it. I was thinking about getting a 3dxl for the Acer or getting an Optoma HD33 or Acer 9500. I guess I will just go with the 3dxl, since I only do 3D 2-3 times a month. I just wanted to know what your thought about the PQ of the Acer compared to the rs40 and if it was a big difference to you in 3D for 1080p to 720p. I actually was never bothered too much with ghosting on my RS40 last year and RS55 this year. I guess the only other 3D projector I would choose is the Benq W7000, but I don't really want to spend $2200 just for 3D.

I would say that the Acer at 720p 3d only bothers me when looking at objects far in the distance that don't look as sharp as they should in 1080p. In the darkest scenes of course the rs40 will look better. But in brighter mixed scenes like in Transformers Dark of the Moon, the Acer can actually look better. Also since most 3d content is generally more action oriented, the resolution isn't as critical. Also gaming on the rs40 suffers from horrible ghosting. The Acer is a perfect console 3d gaming projector. Plus no warming up the projector for 30-60 minutes for 3d.

Would I prefer the rs40 image over the Acer image if both were ghost free? Of course. But for now I am loving the 2d on the rs40 and 3d on the Acer is very satisfactory.

I highly recommend the 3dxl. Spending less than $300 makes sense for your 3d usage.
post #28 of 28 Old 05-26-2012, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would say that the Acer at 720p 3d only bothers me when looking at objects far in the distance that don't look as sharp as they should in 1080p. In the darkest scenes of course the rs40 will look better. But in brighter mixed scenes like in Transformers Dark of the Moon, the Acer can actually look better. Also since most 3d content is generally more action oriented, the resolution isn't as critical. Also gaming on the rs40 suffers from horrible ghosting. The Acer is a perfect console 3d gaming projector. Plus no warming up the projector for 30-60 minutes for 3d.

Would I prefer the rs40 image over the Acer image if both were ghost free? Of course. But for now I am loving the 2d on the rs40 and 3d on the Acer is very satisfactory.

I highly recommend the 3dxl. Spending less than $300 makes sense for your 3d usage.

Yep, I'm going that route
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com