Deal on Runco RS1100 CineWide... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-24-2012, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm putting together a new theater, and a local dealer here has a Runco RS1100 CineWide demo that he said he'd make me a deal on.

I've been trying to compare it against JVC RS40 or Mitsubishi HC7800d, and want to get some general opinions...

Here is what he says he has:
"RUNCO RS1100 w/CineWide (with Whitnet anamorphic lense) Was $15,000. Specs out better than the new Runco VX-3000 that is $11,000"

He said he would sell me the Runco for $5,000. I told him that I was concerned that it was 6yr old tech that is more expensive than either of the options I'm looking at that are both 2D and 3D, and that it might need to be replaced in a few years AND I still need a 3D projector, so I'm afraid it would be a waste of money.

His reply was:
"Regarding the projector, there is no technology so speak of in projectors. The runco is 1080p with high end glass optics that will blow anything away! All other non 2.35:1 projectors only use around 700 lines of resolution & an astonishing 80% less screen size when watching 90% of the movies on the market since they are shot on 2.35:1 film. This is when there is still a black bar at the top & bottom of a 16x9 screen. The price I offered you is honestly the best deal of anything you are considering The last time video changed was from black & white square to color square then to widescreen 16x9 HD so I assure you video is not a fast moving target. To be out of date anytime soon is not possible. With video there will always be a gimmick to attract you but in reality it is super stable."

Projectors are a new thing to me, and I'm looking for some advice on this. HELP!

Sean Hull

Denon 3808ci | PS3 80Gb | Harmony One | Toshiba XA2 | Samsung 61" PN60E6500EF | HTPC with HDMI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-24-2012, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Personally, I would not spend $5000 on a used projector, it's too risky. Now that's just me. The color wheel or something else could break and you'd be out $5000.

If you want 3D, then I would look into a 2-projector setup for the best of both worlds, otherwise you might consider the JVC RS-55.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3 of 12 Old 05-24-2012, 01:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Personally, I would not spend $5000 on a used projector, it's too risky. Now that's just me. The color wheel or something else could break and you'd be out $5000.

If you want 3D, then I would look into a 2-projector setup for the best of both worlds, otherwise you might consider the JVC RS-55.

My roommate just bought a Sony HW30 which is roughly comparable to a JVC RS-45 in most comparisons. I can't imagine how a projector could produce much better images and justify that kind of money. Now, im not a professional calibrator or anything but i did spend a few years as a photo developer working with a lot of professional photographers, so i can confidently say i do know color pretty well.

If i were in your position id go with the RS-55 and not look back.

Klipsch RF-62 L/R, RC-62 C, Energy C-100 SL/SR, HSU VTF-15H, Marantz SR5003.

"All speakers sound good when you're on a coke binge in the middle of an orgy." - Heebdawg16
post #4 of 12 Old 05-24-2012, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Dizzy49... Will it come with the full warranty and the anamorphic lens?
post #5 of 12 Old 05-24-2012, 06:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Note that the lens is a compression lens and not a stretch lens. It is also a prism based lens, not cylindrical. It is a small aperture lens, so it will not fit a lot of projectors. If you are wanting good 2D and 3D, then I would look at a two projector set up. Purchase a B-stock RS40 and wait on the updated Benq W7000. Then you would have a very good 2D/3D set up for about 2/3rds the price of the Runco. If used equally, you would have a lot longer lamp life than going with the single Runco.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #6 of 12 Old 05-24-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Here is the deal on the Rs-1100 /? 1100 ultra / Vidikron Vision S-75 / VX 3000

It is all the same projector. The VX 3000 does have the newer DLP chip but almost everything else is the same. They change the name like many companies to keep people thinking it is a brand new projector. Look at the Sim2 crystal and the Benq W-6000 (or another is the oem before they do there thing to make it a Sim2) but most of the hardware is the same.

I had a Vision S-75 and the picture is great. The power is more than enough for a 120" dia 16:9 on a 1.0 or higher gain screen. The DLP 3 was aging though. The RS-1100 is basicly the same projector. It is great, but NOT at that price. You can get them on everyone favorite auction site for much less. Are there newer better YES. Are the optics on teh RS-1100 amazing YES.

If you only want 2D and great picture quality then get one, but tell him you want it for a lot less.

just my 2 cents.

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
post #7 of 12 Old 05-24-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 147
There seem to be a lot of people trying to get rid of old Runco's lately (dealers and what not).

I'd pay at most around $2000 for it, because at that price you could always look into a used Infocus sp8602, Optoma hd8600, or something else. Even then I'd be hesistant, the RS-45 and especially the RS-55 will beat DLP's for MOST movies, sure not all. I don't care about sharpness arguments or what not, but many movies you just need better contrast once sharpness gets to a certain point.

Then there is the on/off argument of the IRIS, personally IRIS's do help, but they help much more when a projector can get past 5000:1 on/off, there is something missing in the image with most projectors IRIS's, and this is after I have owned more than 6 different projectors with different IRIS's (including a Sony). Yes they can go dark with the IRIS in some scenes, but in some scenes they just mess up the contrast of the scene anyways, and this is especially true on DLP's with IRIS's or DLP's using lamp dimming.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #8 of 12 Old 05-24-2012, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I want to thank everyone for their input.

I've decided that I'll pass on the Runco. Not sure what I will get in it's place, I think that ultimately that will depend on my actual budget. The theater upgrade is taking place at the end of a very expensive home renovation, so whatever is left is what I get for the theater

Sean Hull

Denon 3808ci | PS3 80Gb | Harmony One | Toshiba XA2 | Samsung 61" PN60E6500EF | HTPC with HDMI

post #9 of 12 Old 05-25-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy49 View Post

I want to thank everyone for their input.

I've decided that I'll pass on the Runco. Not sure what I will get in it's place, I think that ultimately that will depend on my actual budget. The theater upgrade is taking place at the end of a very expensive home renovation, so whatever is left is what I get for the theater

I wonder if that effects your decision making process when you hear:

"Honey which flooring do you prefer, the $12 /SF or the $18/SF tile?"

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #10 of 12 Old 05-25-2012, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

I wonder if that effects your decision making process when you hear:

"Honey which flooring do you prefer, the $12 /SF or the $18/SF tile?"

LOL, in most areas it's not TOO bad. We have a decent overall budget, but it's a 4,185sqft house built in 1922, and nearly every room needs at least SOME work. Most of the upstairs rooms just need the floor refinished (they put carpet over original hardwood), and some paint. Two bathrooms needs to be computer gutted as they look like something from a horror movie. There is no venting, and the house has sat empty for a year and a half. The two half baths are OK, and the wife wants the Master Bath redesigned, but I think that will be put off until next year. The finished the attic which added about 650sqft, BUT the beams up there weren't meant for a floor, so over the years the floor has sagged quite a bit (8 inches in a few spots). So we will be gutting that, reinforcing the beams and redoing that. The family room (which will be the theater) has faux wood beams that are sagging, wood paneling, and even the ceiling is wood paneling that's been painted white... Oh, and NO insulation in the walls. So that will be pretty much taken to studs and redone.

I think the most expensive things will be redoing the two bathrooms, redoing the family room (NOT including the theater equipment as the room will be wired and everything regardless if I have stuff to put in it right now), and redoing the attic. Well, those are from the "WANT" list. We have a list of 4 or 5 things that MUST be done for the house to be even livable (ie Replacing the entire roof), which is more expensive.

Overall it's an expensive, and long project, but the end result will be well worth it....

Here is a link to lots of pics of the house... I will be taking more pics, and getting lots and LOTS of measurements next wednesday so we can really start planning the renovations...
The House

We are shopping for flooring and bathroom hardware this weekend, so I'll let you know how the decisions go

Sean Hull

post #11 of 12 Old 05-29-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
My opinion to that statement:
"Regarding the projector, there is no technology so speak of in projectors. The runco is 1080p with high end glass optics that will blow anything away!"

Based on what I would say? Everything is 1080p now, and there are tons of projectors with equally as good lenses if not better. Why does this "blow anything away"? There are WAY more important factors to determining a projectors ability...

"All other non 2.35:1 projectors only use around 700 lines of resolution & an astonishing 80% less screen size when watching 90% of the movies on the market since they are shot on 2.35:1 film. This is when there is still a black bar at the top & bottom of a 16x9 screen."

I will call BS. Any projector in existence that does not use a lens will do this, INCLUDING Runco. That is not a function of the projector, rather an add on lens, which you can add to almost ANY projector. Moreover, it depends on what ratio the source is...this statement only holds for scope, not 16:9, which is about equal on movies and what ALL HD TV uses.

"The price I offered you is honestly the best deal of anything you are considering The last time video changed was from black & white square to color square then to widescreen 16x9 HD so I assure you video is not a fast moving target. To be out of date anytime soon is not possible. With video there will always be a gimmick to attract you but in reality it is super stable."

Again I call BS. The price, based on original retail seems attractive. But in reality there is a LOT at $6k that is much newer/better in many ways. The only thing I will say is the Runco is a DLP, which though there are other DLP's, not a ton of nice ones in that general price range. Still, it is older as well, thus the price decrease.

My 2 cents.

Jason C. Turk
Technical Support, Customer Service, Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
Direct Line: 585-645-1004
Email: jason@avscience.com

Don't forget my nearly 13,000 posts under my old ID!

post #12 of 12 Old 06-01-2012, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy49 View Post

I'm putting together a new theater, and a local dealer here has a Runco RS1100 CineWide demo that he said he'd make me a deal on.

I've been trying to compare it against JVC RS40 or Mitsubishi HC7800d, and want to get some general opinions...

Here is what he says he has:
"RUNCO RS1100 w/CineWide (with Whitnet anamorphic lense) Was $15,000. Specs out better than the new Runco VX-3000 that is $11,000"

He said he would sell me the Runco for $5,000. I told him that I was concerned that it was 6yr old tech that is more expensive than either of the options I'm looking at that are both 2D and 3D, and that it might need to be replaced in a few years AND I still need a 3D projector, so I'm afraid it would be a waste of money.

His reply was:
"Regarding the projector, there is no technology so speak of in projectors. The runco is 1080p with high end glass optics that will blow anything away! All other non 2.35:1 projectors only use around 700 lines of resolution & an astonishing 80% less screen size when watching 90% of the movies on the market since they are shot on 2.35:1 film. This is when there is still a black bar at the top & bottom of a 16x9 screen. The price I offered you is honestly the best deal of anything you are considering The last time video changed was from black & white square to color square then to widescreen 16x9 HD so I assure you video is not a fast moving target. To be out of date anytime soon is not possible. With video there will always be a gimmick to attract you but in reality it is super stable."

Projectors are a new thing to me, and I'm looking for some advice on this. HELP!

For what its worth Im selling a Runco RS900. I bought it as a dealer demo as well because I wanted a higher end projector with better optics, etc. but before I even took it out of the book I bought the Runco LED projector. Which sadly is also still in its box because my contractor sucks and is moving slower then dead snails... I just lowered the price to 2750 because with contractor delays came added costs so I don't need it just sitting here. PM me if interested
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page