New 2012 Sony Projectors - mid-June? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 89 Old 05-24-2012, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All,

I have narrowed down my choice of projectors to the JVC or Sony and have been trying like hell to see the Sony's in action so I just called them here in Canada. (The Canadian Website also doesn't show the VPL-VW95es but the HW30ES is out of stock).

The dude on the phone said to wait if I wasn't in a hurry because the new Sony's will be released in mid-June. Does anyone know about this?

I would love to get a "HW30ES" with Lens Memory!

Thanks,
Val
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 Old 05-24-2012, 08:20 AM

Liked: 11
Both the 95ES and 1000ES are listed under Sony Professional web site.

http://www.sonybiz.ca/solutions/Cate...egoryId=100659
post #3 of 89 Old 05-24-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks unidisk.

The guy I spoke to, who I think was named Melvin, specifically said though that if I wasn't in a hurry to wait. He also recommended that I go to the Photo/Video show this weekend at the International Centre in Toronto to speak to their reps. about them.

http://www.exposureshow.com/
post #4 of 89 Old 05-24-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 248
there hasn't been any rumors yet about the HW30 replacement. With Sony's changes coming up June 1, i'm curious to see how their next gen projectors will be priced.

of all the projectors I've tested the year, the HW30 is still one of my favorites that I use every day.
post #5 of 89 Old 05-24-2012, 08:48 AM

Melvin is a nice guy. I spoke to him 2 years ago when I purchased my Z12. At that time there was a price error and made us got a very good deal then.

You can get PJ through the Sony dealers. I owned a 95ES since last Nov when it first came out. Very happy with it. Bought from a dealer in Richmond Hill.
post #6 of 89 Old 05-24-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, zombie and unidisk... the Sony's really do seem to be the best overall for 2D and 3D. I do like the JVC black's but so scared of bulb problems.

Melvin did seem really nice and I really do hope they announce some new models. I would hate to buy something and then the next month replacements are announced.

I would like something with lens memory thus the JVC but maybe the new HW30 would have it????

I am in Etobicoke and couldn't find any places to see a 30 or 95 in action... any suggestions including the place in Richmond Hill.

Thanks guys!
post #7 of 89 Old 05-24-2012, 10:50 AM

Mid-June?! OMG, I'm waiting for this.
I will get my dedicated HT finish in the mid of July, I'd like to see the spec of new SONY PJ to decided if I'm gonna wait for the new model or bargain good price for HW30.

I think the chance that the replacement of HW30 will get lens memory is tiny, because I think that's one of the thing how SONY differentiate HW with VW. But I think in the replacement, most likely we can get buildin 3D transmitter with new 3D glasses. Maybe some improvement on the lumen, especially in 3D mode.
post #8 of 89 Old 05-24-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'm just about to start on my basement and was looking to get the HW30. But if new models come out that the VW95ES has a price drop, I'll be very tempted to grab that.

post #9 of 89 Old 05-24-2012, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

I am puzzled though. Looks like the VW95 and the previous 90 were both announced in September... seems odd that they would shift the release dates. But I guess Apple did it.

Any idea what time of the year the HW30 was released?
post #10 of 89 Old 05-24-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I received my HW30 on August, 9th 2011 and had one of the first HW30's available.
post #11 of 89 Old 05-24-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmmm..... well zombie, it would be plausible then with a June announcement and release date of around August. I will definitely keep my ears tuned for any news. I don't move into my place until June 22 so I definitely have some time for hopefully new models to be announced.
post #12 of 89 Old 05-24-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

the only concern is that the deals won't likely be as good as they are now. Sony is changing their pricing structure with how dealers are selling their products, so an HW30 today isn't going to be the same price as it is after June 1st.
post #13 of 89 Old 05-24-2012, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Zombie, I did read your noted thread extensively and would love to just get the HW30 but plan on getting a 2.35 screen and then zooming in/out. The lens memory makes it so much simpler. I trust going the 2.35 route you would probably get the JVC then... but that is for another thread.
post #14 of 89 Old 05-24-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

the only concern is that the deals won't likely be as good as they are now. Sony is changing their pricing structure with how dealers are selling their products, so an HW30 today isn't going to be the same price as it is after June 1st.

Ah, that stinks. I'm just not ready to buy yet, unfortunately.

post #15 of 89 Old 05-24-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpersaud View Post

I am in Etobicoke and couldn't find any places to see a 30 or 95 in action... any suggestions including the place in Richmond Hill.

Thanks guys!

Regency Audio @ Woodbine & HW 7 has 95ES for demo. It is beside the Tiger Direct Store. Tel: 905 305 9888.

HDTV Electronics @ HW7 & Leslie has HW30 for demo. Tel: 905 881 0266.
post #16 of 89 Old 05-24-2012, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Unidisk!

I called both and HDTV Electronics said they sold out of the HW30 but may get another shipment in. Again, he sounded a little hesitant and did say that Sony only will produce a certain amount and not make more pending release of a new model... interesting.

I will go by both places since I want to see the Sony in action firsthand.

Thanks again!
post #17 of 89 Old 05-24-2012, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

I have seen this with Epson and Benq as well. When the new projector models came out the older models actually shot up in price. I was going to buy a W6000 but the price shot up $600 which I found insane.
post #18 of 89 Old 05-24-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:

+1 That is why I purchased my HW30AES yesterday.

October HorrorFest Participant
post #19 of 89 Old 05-24-2012, 04:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

+1 That is why I purchased my HW30AES yesterday.

This is killing me. Abt is having their Memorial day sale this weekend, too. I live near there and have an Abt credit card, so no financing for 2 years. I am so tempted to just buy it and return it, unopened, in 30 days if something goes wrong.

Now I have to decide between the two models. This stinks.

post #20 of 89 Old 05-29-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Sony does June for many items, NOT typically projectors. Those are usually Cedia/September timeframe. Not saying it couldn't happen, but I would not hold your breath.

Jason C. Turk
Technical Support, Customer Service, Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
Direct Line: 585-645-1004
Email: jason@avscience.com

Don't forget my nearly 13,000 posts under my old ID!

post #21 of 89 Old 05-29-2012, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

It looks like June 9 was when the HW30 was announced last year.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/09/s...way-next-mont/
post #22 of 89 Old 05-29-2012, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I'm pretty sure that I saw the HW30 in early August in BB Magnolia last year. Personally, the lower end Sony's need to compete with the competition and it's hard seeing the price go up on the HW30s considering it wasn't ever really listed as the best in either 2D or 3D but was great for the best of both worlds. Unless you had to have a projector now I would say it's worth the wait especially if 3D is of interest to you as this is one area many are hoping for improvements in for the vast majority of the projectors out today.
post #23 of 89 Old 05-29-2012, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
I really can't see anything earth shattering in coming in a new projector from Sony. Now that all their SXRD models carry 3D the only real possible move would be having a 3D in their budget LCD line if they still have one. Sony is going out of their way to keep the ES units exclusive to high end dealers with little price adjustment.

4k for under $15k might be possible but again with no native content why would anyone want to pay that much beyond a few high end customers.

post #24 of 89 Old 05-29-2012, 08:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk_sun View Post

Mid-June?! OMG, I'm waiting for this.
I will get my dedicated HT finish in the mid of July, I'd like to see the spec of new SONY PJ to decided if I'm gonna wait for the new model or bargain good price for HW30.

I think the chance that the replacement of HW30 will get lens memory is tiny, because I think that's one of the thing how SONY differentiate HW with VW. But I think in the replacement, most likely we can get buildin 3D transmitter with new 3D glasses. Maybe some improvement on the lumen, especially in 3D mode.

Keep in mind that Sony SURE pricing policy goes into effect June 1st. That means the price of all ES projectors goes to full MSRP from all authorized dealers. If you have any questions on what this means, contact any Sony dealer.

As far as new models, I have heard unsubstantiated talk of a single new model. I do not know of any details.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #25 of 89 Old 05-30-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Keep in mind that Sony SURE pricing policy goes into effect June 1st. That means the price of all ES projectors goes to full MSRP from all authorized dealers. If you have any questions on what this means, contact any Sony dealer.

As far as new models, I have heard unsubstantiated talk of a single new model. I do not know of any details.

What? what's the Sony SURE pricing policy?
I searched it on the internet, the result shows this policy started in June 1st 2008. Is there any update on this this year?
Don't tell me the price of HW30 will back to full MSRP after on the market about a year. I will definitely buy some other PJ no matter how big the fan I'm of SONY product, because on full MSRP HW30 lose all the advantage when we compare it with other product at the same price.
post #26 of 89 Old 05-30-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I've been told about this SURE BS for years and always get ES projectors for well below MSRP. Some dealers use it as an excuse to charge more but rarely have I found dealers enforcing it.

UNLESS things have changed this year (HOPE NOT) we should still get deals on Sony projectors. If they do start enforcing it, then I won't be buying any Sony projectors again.
post #27 of 89 Old 05-30-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

No it has already been done and been enforced in the past. Some dealers skirted it, but many were dropped. Sony enforces it, though admittedly there are a crap load of dealers and only so many "police". But one does have to be careful (consumer) because if you still see stuff advertised, it could very well not be legit.

Jason C. Turk
Technical Support, Customer Service, Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
Direct Line: 585-645-1004
Email: jason@avscience.com

Don't forget my nearly 13,000 posts under my old ID!

post #28 of 89 Old 05-30-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Do we know if this pricing scheme applies to next year's models, maybe they are doing it for MFR production reasons so they get economies of scale with new releases, sounds like they might be doing it to just reduce demand on the older models so they do not have to MFR older ones once they have new ones come out?

Their sales will drop to near nothing if they try to sell next year's equivalent Sony hw30 model at this price, as other PJ's prices are continuing to fall.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #29 of 89 Old 05-30-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Someone at Sony has to know the HW30 is currently street priced at the higher end of the range compared to the W7000, 5010 and the RS45. The included glasses (not the most comfortable) and extra year warranty was still a hard sell compared to the others which were less expensive by a fair amount. The saving grace was the quality FI and the excellent prices on replacement lamps.

If Sony enforces the current MSRP, I don't know how they'd sell another HW30 or VW95 after 6/1. The next HW30 is going to have to street (or MSRP) at 2.5-3k (at the max) and have some great new features to compete.

This reminds me of trying to buy a Pioneer Elite AVR. There's a ton of grey market Elites out there at a steep discount compared to the MSRP. Most authorized Pioneer dealers will not (can not?) budge on the MSRP. It seems like they would sell more if they just let the belt loose a bit and let more authorized dealers sell at a discount.
post #30 of 89 Old 05-30-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Will there even be a 2012 Sony thread if no one buys one... lol.
I like the VPL-VW95, but even at the current street I feel it’s not worth the extra money. Let alone a couple thousand more.

GOOD LUCK SONY!!!

Sony.... "That’s weird, we only sold 3 projectors in all of 2012 after June 1st?" "I wonder what happened..." DUHHHHH...

Back to the drawing board...

They should sell to a dealer at a fixed dealer cost and then let the dealer decide what price they want to sell at.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony , Projectors , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page