I think that I've made a decision, but need help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 05-24-2012, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hello, everyone. I need a little help/guidance/reassurance with my choice. I have pretty much decided on a Sony, now it's time to figure out which one; the HW 30 or the VW95. First, a little background:
The space is my basement and the main viewing area is 18ft by 11ft, with the screen on the 11ft wall. The celling is 7ft. I will have two windows that will shed some ambient light but will have blackout shades and curtains. My viewing habits are (approximately) 40% regular TV, 35% sports, 20% movies and 5% games/other.

That being said, I love watching football and want to have people over to watch the games, so I need something that can perform with a fair amount of light. I also want a certain wow factor with movies. I can't say whether I care about 3d since I've never actually seen 3d on a TV or projector, only in the theater. I plan on getting a Da-Lite HP screen, either 92 or 106in, but I have to admit I'm not very confident in my screen knowledge.

It seems from reading the forums that the Sony models would be the best fit. I'm leaning towards the HW30, but I just don't know. If you have any advice, please let me know. If you think that a projector isn't for me, I have no problem getting the new 65in Panny plasma.

BTW, I've spent a lot of hours over the last few weeks on these forums and I just want to thank everybody for the posts. I've learned a lot, but I have to admit, I'm, a little overwhelmed. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-24-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 145
A 65" TV is like trying to watch movies on an iPhone once you get used to a 100"+ projector screen.

The Sony hw30 sounds like your best bet.

The Da-Lite screen will do ok in the sense of just making a projector's torch mode that much brighter, and even with some ambient light as long as the light isn't AT ALL reflecting onto the screen (hence the light source needs to really be far back and pointing opposite direction). So a tad bit of scattering light in the room is ok (but if the light is directly overhead, it will ruin the picture).

Now keep in mind that projectors and ambient light (or any light) don't really mix, so when I say it will do ok, I mean in bright scenes, in dark scenes the contrast will look washed out with any ambient light, but that's just something to deal with on a projector.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3 of 13 Old 05-24-2012, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks for the reply. To be clear, the only time where I think that light will be a factor is for sports when other people are over. I will watch most other things at night and want it dark for movies.

As I said, I'm not too confident with my screen knowledge, so if you have any recommendations I would appreciate it.

post #4 of 13 Old 05-24-2012, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 145
The Da-Lite HP screen is the best bet in my opinion, as long as your viewing area angles are not too extreme (too many people sitting horizontally outward?). Sure a black diamond screen would be better just for sports, but they are very expensive (3x+ or more than the HP screen), and the BD screens do not look as good in pure darkness IMHO as the Da-Lite HP screens (at least according to some).

So the Da-Lite HP screen and putting the Sony into a torch mode should work fine for sports, because Sports is all bright scenes. The one exception as I noted before is if you have too much direct lighting hitting the screen.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #5 of 13 Old 05-24-2012, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post

Hello, everyone. I need a little help/guidance/reassurance with my choice. I have pretty much decided on a Sony, now it's time to figure out which one; the HW 30 or the VW95. First, a little background:
The space is my basement and the main viewing area is 18ft by 11ft, with the screen on the 11ft wall. The celling is 7ft. I will have two windows that will shed some ambient light but will have blackout shades and curtains. My viewing habits are (approximately) 40% regular TV, 35% sports, 20% movies and 5% games/other.

That being said, I love watching football and want to have people over to watch the games, so I need something that can perform with a fair amount of light. I also want a certain wow factor with movies. I can't say whether I care about 3d since I've never actually seen 3d on a TV or projector, only in the theater. I plan on getting a Da-Lite HP screen, either 92 or 106in, but I have to admit I'm not very confident in my screen knowledge.

It seems from reading the forums that the Sony models would be the best fit. I'm leaning towards the HW30, but I just don't know. If you have any advice, please let me know. If you think that a projector isn't for me, I have no problem getting the new 65in Panny plasma.

BTW, I've spent a lot of hours over the last few weeks on these forums and I just want to thank everybody for the posts. I've learned a lot, but I have to admit, I'm, a little overwhelmed. Thanks in advance for any help.

I just setup a HW30 and a 106" 2.4 HP for a friend who is a movies & sports fanatic. We couldn't get the projector where I wanted it (eye level for max gain) but it still looks great with a low ceiling mounting. The combo is bright enough to watch TV with some ambient light in the room.

The HW30 is one of the better performers in 3D, i'm sure you'll enjoy it once you see it, especially with an HP screen since you need all the light you can get with the 3D glasses.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-24-2012, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks for the replies, guys. You've put my mind at ease a little bit. There is still a nagging voice in the back of my head saying get the VW95, but I think I will ignore that voice. A thought just occurred to me. When I say ambient light, I mean the light that sneaks through the windows. I hope that we are on the same page and I didn't screw that up. If we were, my new question concerns lighting from fixtures in the room. How does it perform with lights on for, say, Monday night football. I will have the ability to dim the lights.

Thanks again.

post #7 of 13 Old 05-24-2012, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 283
I read the first post regarding your room setup. What is the seating situation, and how close are the seats going to be to the screen?

Do you have to go with a ceiling mounting, or do you have an option for a shelf mount on the opposite wall of the screen? With the HP screen, the projector needs to be mounted as close to eye level as possible for maximum gain. The higher it's mounted, the less gain you'll see when seated.

If you can, post a photo of what the room looks like with the ambient light you are expecting and it will be easier to judge what your expectations should be. Mounting the projector in the optimal config for the HP will certainly help with ambient light and 3D brightness as well.

ps. get the 106 if you can fit it. I had the 92 HP a while back, then went to a 110, then a 142". The size gets addicting.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-24-2012, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The plan is for it to be ceiling mounted, about 5ft off of the ground. The opposite wall is going to be a bar. The seating is going to be about 9 to 12 feet from the screen with the projector behind that by about a foot. Most will be straight on, with one or two seats off to the side. I'm not very concerned about them as I can put bar chairs behind the primary seating if I need to.

We haven't started yet (next week, hopefully) so the room looks nothing like it will, light wise. I will have all new windows and install blackout shades and curtains.

post #9 of 13 Old 05-27-2012, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Ah, now I'm torn again. I went into both Abt and the Little Guys and was pretty impressed how well the Epson 6010 did in lighted rooms. It also did well with basketball. I hate making decisions.

Edit: On the plus side, I think that Abt will give me a decent deal on the Stuart screen, so that's good.

post #10 of 13 Old 05-27-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:

Ah, now I'm torn again. I went into both Abt and the Little Guys and was pretty impressed how well the Epson 6010 did in lighted rooms. It also did well with basketball. I hate making decisions.

Edit: On the plus side, I think that Abt will give me a decent deal on the Stuart screen, so that's good.

Give us a call. For some dealers, the Stewart quick ship screens are on sale until the end of this month. Also the Sony SURE pricing policy takes place June 1st, so if you are interested in a Sony, you want to purchase before then. You also should look at the Epson 5010 if you liked the 6010. They are basically the same projector. Only real reason to pay more for the 6010 is if you plan on having an A-lens and a scope screen.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-29-2012, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks, Mike. Unfortunately, we've hit a bit of a snag and I'm not sure that I will know for sure what is going on by the 1st. I'd rather pay a little more later than make a mistake today.

post #12 of 13 Old 05-29-2012, 09:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:

Thanks, Mike. Unfortunately, we've hit a bit of a snag and I'm not sure that I will know for sure what is going on by the 1st. I'd rather pay a little more later than make a mistake today.

For the screen, we are talking a little more. If you are interested in a Sony projector, they go to full MSRP on June 1st.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-30-2012, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am ready to pull the trigger for a vw95es, does AVS has it in stock?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw30es 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page