Projector for large outdoor screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-29-2012, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am trying to set up an outdoor theater with a ~150" wide image. Assuming that the movie watching will be happening after sunset, what kind of lumens should I be looking for in the projector? There is still going to be some ambient light, this is for neighborhood events in an outdoor space. Do I need to be looking at high gain screens? Our budget is around $5k, but if that won't get me a decent picture than I may be able to expand it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-29-2012, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by osiris13 View Post

I am trying to set up an outdoor theater with a ~150" wide image. Assuming that the movie watching will be happening after sunset, what kind of lumens should I be looking for in the projector? There is still going to be some ambient light, this is for neighborhood events in an outdoor space. Do I need to be looking at high gain screens? Our budget is around $5k, but if that won't get me a decent picture than I may be able to expand it.

You will probably be limited on possible screens for use in your outdoor setup so I would assume a screen gain of near 1.0. A projector with 1500 lumens (actual lumens and not an manufacturer's claimed lumens) would give you about 15 ft. lamberts of image brightness off of a 150" wide, gain=1.0 screen. This would be adequate as long as the ambient lights are kept low. Of the current popular projectors that can reach this level, the Epson 5100 and BenQ W7000 come to mind (both under $3,000). Also if you do find a higher gain screen that would also be useful. Both of these projectors can provide a reasonably accurate picture (in terms of color temperature, grey scale, etc) with those kind of lumens of output and they have a lens shift and zoom that offers placement flexibility for the projector location. While the high lumens output mode on these projectors may not be their most accurate picture mode, it should be just fine for a neighborhood movie night. You may want to check out the reviews of these projectors at: projectorreviews.com

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #3 of 11 Old 05-30-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have done this before many times. As Ron said, outdoor screens are limited. Most make their own so figure no gain. I will tell you it has to be dark. Period. Not just the sun set, but dark. That being said, when it is, many projectors can do this, and I think 1000+ lumens would cut it for the overall point. If you want high end performance, which for outdoor is not usually as critical (more an effect) then you would need more like 2000+.

Jason C. Turk
Technical Support, Customer Service, Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
Direct Line: 585-645-1004
Email: jason@avscience.com

Don't forget my nearly 13,000 posts under my old ID!

post #4 of 11 Old 05-30-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
It depends how much you use the projector and how often you mind replacing lamps, and if you really want to spend those extra dollars for the added dark-scene contrast. The Panny ar100u is brighter for less than the Epson 5010, but it does not have as good of blacks. It can do 2000 lumens relatively close to d65.

The Optoma th1060p or Benq sh910 are rated at 4,000+ and can do > 2000 lumens, but they are DLP and both have 3x color wheels or slower (which means potential RBE and potentially lots of it). They both have terrible blacks (but the ar100u does not have good blacks either). The Epson g5450 is a projector which can do > 2000 lumens near D65, but again not good blacks and it is costs about the same as the 5010 (probably more).

There are a lot of different paints to choose from that have gain. Don't know anything about building outdoor screens though, check the DIY screen threads in the DIY forums.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #5 of 11 Old 05-30-2012, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

The screen we are looking at is a motorized unit made by Stewart, available in up to 2.0 gain.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-30-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Outdoor environments will ruin non-outdoor screens.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #7 of 11 Old 05-30-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

It is an "Oasis" model, which Stewart says is weather-resistant.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-30-2012, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Cool, post some pics when you are done, there isn't enough outdoor theater pics in this forum.

post #9 of 11 Old 05-31-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by osiris13 View Post

It is an "Oasis" model, which Stewart says is weather-resistant.

The Oasis is an electric outdoor screen. But generally still needs to be hidden from the elements and ideally not used in adverse weather (which is sort of obvious). You would be one of the first here to do that...most people, including myself, do a temp setup...

Jason C. Turk
Technical Support, Customer Service, Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
Direct Line: 585-645-1004
Email: jason@avscience.com

Don't forget my nearly 13,000 posts under my old ID!

post #10 of 11 Old 06-14-2012, 06:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Best overall would be the 5010 or 6010 at 2400 lumins. The 6010 comes with or get an extra bulb since this will be bounced around. There are better projectors but you start to get around 8k so this is the best bang for buck. ALso DLP people ted to be sensitive to, for a HT it is fine if youa re not but for big crouds you will alwas find someone it makes sick so I would avoind cheaper DLP's. For the screen there is no good answer you will just have to set it up each time leaving it open outdoors it tends to turn black and get marks.

Jason
Note: Any posts are of my personal opinions and not to reflect upon any business.

Jason@programmergeek.com

908 578-6466

post #11 of 11 Old 06-14-2012, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

If it were me, I'd just buy a cheaper projector to use outdoors, the Epsons are really good but that's kind of a waste of money just to use outdoors (now if you will be using indoors mostly, then I agree). The Epsons are really bright, but there are actually much brighter projectors for less (like the Panny ar100u).

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Optoma Th1060p Projector , Benq Sh910 8lbs Dlp Projector , Panasonic Pt Ar100u Lcd Projector Pt Ar100u
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page