RS40 or W7000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 05-29-2012, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for a projector formy home theater that will be done in three months. I was originally looking at the hw30 but it is out of my price range. I thought I had decided on the W7000 but now I'm thinking about picking up a b stock rs40.

Im planning on a 120" 16x9 screen in a completely light controlled room. The vast majority of the projectors use would be watching 2d, with about 5% 3d. I do play fps games, probably 10 hours a week. I know that the w7000 has better 3d and lower lag time, but from what I have read the rs40 is much better for 2d.

Would I be better off getting the rs40, and upgrading my screen from a vapex to a higher quality screen? Are there any issues with the rs40 that I should consider?

I would appreciate any advice I could get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-29-2012, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzarsoza View Post

I'm looking for a projector formy home theater that will be done in three months. I was originally looking at the hw30 but it is out of my price range. I thought I had decided on the W7000 but now I'm thinking about picking up a b stock rs40.

Im planning on a 120" 16x9 screen in a completely light controlled room. The vast majority of the projectors use would be watching 2d, with about 5% 3d. I do play fps games, probably 10 hours a week. I know that the w7000 has better 3d and lower lag time, but from what I have read the rs40 is much better for 2d.

Would I be better off getting the rs40, and upgrading my screen from a vapex to a higher quality screen? Are there any issues with the rs40 that I should consider?

Just out of curiosity, where did you see b-stock rs40's? Thanks
post #3 of 23 Old 05-29-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I have to admit I am tempted at the RS40 price but the bulb issues scares me as does others since AVS still has b stock.
post #4 of 23 Old 05-29-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinc View Post

Just out of curiosity, where did you see b-stock rs40's? Thanks

There is a post in both projector threads right at the top...can't miss it!
post #5 of 23 Old 05-29-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post

Thanks, I'll check it out.
post #6 of 23 Old 05-29-2012, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have to admit I am tempted at the RS40 price but the bulb issues scares me as does others since AVS still has b stock.

I know there is a bulb issue, but I'm not sure what the details are. Is the bulb dimming fast, or does it completely going out. Is jvc giving a warranty on the bulbs?
post #7 of 23 Old 05-29-2012, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 53
The RS40 from most distances were extremely similar to my RS55, and is the RS40 is basically the same as the RS45 with a couple of added features. Of course if you are sitting close to a big screen, then the eshift plays a role. I didn't see a difference until I calibrated my RS55, but I never had my RS40 calibrated. So, only if you have an unique situation with a large screen and sitting close, then I would chose the RS55 over the RS40.

However, the bulb issues make this projector hard to buy even tho its a great price. I rarely use my JVC only because of the bulb issues and I didn't want the hassle of getting a new bulb from JVC. So, I kept tabs on my lumens and my bulb was as good as day one basically. I didn't have any problems with both JVC projectors but its always in the back of my mind that maybe I should turn it off before it mess up.

But if I had to choose for basically 2D, the RS40 is better and I would choose that over the Benq w7000. I didn't have any problems with 3D on the RS40 but many did.

The w7000 is a w6000 with 3D, which I have read. The 3d is something on the w7000 that is considered the best, and if the w7000 performs like the w6000 in 2D, it sounds like an really good projector.
post #8 of 23 Old 05-29-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I know there is a bulb issue, but I'm not sure what the details are. Is the bulb dimming fast, or does it completely going out. Is jvc giving a warranty on the bulbs?

Yes JVC is replacing the defective lamps on a case by case bases. Mine was replaced with no fuss or red tape. So far so good.

For 2D, IMO there are no projectors remotely close to the RS40 in image quality in the price range.
The Benq may be a tad sharper. But the RS40 is far from soft or dull. The biggest difference in the two will be contrast/black levels. It's not even a contest! If I didn't already own the RS45. The RS40 on B stock would be a no brainer. I've had plenty of hours with the W6000, which is the w7000 without 3D. If you like sci fi movies, the JVCs rule!
post #9 of 23 Old 05-29-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:

I must be missing something because I do not see it. I am using the iPad app so maybe that has something to do with it?
post #10 of 23 Old 05-29-2012, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I must be missing something because I do not see it. I am using the iPad app so maybe that has something to do with it?

Here let me help you.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1410514
post #11 of 23 Old 05-29-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah View Post

Here let me help you.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1410514

Thanks, I found it. On the iPad app you have to click "stickies" to see the deals.
post #12 of 23 Old 05-29-2012, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Calibrated an RS40 with 500 hours the other week (it was a B stock purchase from a while back) with a 110" screen, max light output was about 7.5 fl . The 10point on the RS40 is not all the functional.. it is real flaky over 50%.. After messing with this thing 2 times, I would never buy a JVC. But hey, I am Bright picture DLP fan anyway! Good luck in whatever you choose.
post #13 of 23 Old 05-30-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

We have them still because we had received a large number of them and this is generally a slow time of year. That being said, there is only 1 left now anyways.

Jason C. Turk
Technical Support, Customer Service, Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
Direct Line: 585-645-1004
Email: jason@avscience.com

Don't forget my nearly 13,000 posts under my old ID!

post #14 of 23 Old 05-30-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:

The RS40 and the W7000 are quite different and each excels in different areas. I had the RS40 for a short time before going to the RS50 then the RS55. The 2D IQ of the RS40 is very nice, especially for the B-stock pricing.

neither the JVC or the BQ is really geared towards gamers if lag time is an obsession, but for casual gaming they should be fine. The HW30 is one of the best with the lag time and has good 2D and 3D qualities of both the JVC and BenQ, but it costs quite a bit more than a good used RS40.

how much are you planning on using it?
post #15 of 23 Old 05-30-2012, 10:12 AM

I bought one of the B stocks in the first round. I've got about 200 hours on it now. It replaced a IF7210.

I absolutely love it. The 2D is soooo much better than the previous 7210. The deep blacks really do make a difference. My color balance is very satisfactory.

I even love the 3D. This is my first 3D projector, so I cannot make comparitive statements to a home projector. However, it is much nicer than any 3D I have seen in a commercial theater.

And the price! Dang! I say buy it, and use the money you saved on some frivolous luxury.
post #16 of 23 Old 05-30-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 3 View Post

We have them still because we had received a large number of them and this is generally a slow time of year. That being said, there is only 1 left now anyways.

Wow, that didn't last long. Do you get deals like that often? I want to get one but kids tuition comes first. Might be ready in about a month.
post #17 of 23 Old 05-30-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

B stock JVC's disappear quick. There was a killer deal direct from JVC for the HD250's and RS35's and they were all gone within a day.

Plus AVS/JVC stand behind the product as if it were new, so there's no risk vs. buying new.
post #18 of 23 Old 05-30-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

B stock JVC's disappear quick. There was a killer deal direct from JVC for the HD250's and RS35's and they were all gone within a day.

Plus AVS/JVC stand behind the product as if it were new, so there's no real risk vs. buying new.

I have no problem buying b-stock with a full manufactures warranty. When I am ready I will purchase through AVS, I love this site and anything I can do to support it I will.
post #19 of 23 Old 05-30-2012, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Quote:

Plus AVS/JVC stand behind the product as if it were new, so there's no risk vs. buying new.

i was sitting in front of my computer looking at jvc's e bay site and could of bought all of them if i wanted but decided to pass.they had 8 RS35's and 5 HD250's left at that time
post #20 of 23 Old 05-30-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos38 View Post

i was sitting in front of my computer looking at jvc's e bay site and could of bought all of them if i wanted but decided to pass.they had 8 RS35's and 5 HD250's left at that time

I thought it was a prank since the JVC employee that hosts the EBay auctions isn't exactly a master of auction presentations or wording. Just cut/paste basic specs on the machines.

I thought about snagging one of the RS35's, but I already have too many projectors and didn't think it would be a big reseller since most are now looking for 2D/3D projectors.
post #21 of 23 Old 05-31-2012, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input everyone. I called AVS and ordered the b stock Rs40. It was to good of a deal to pass up. It should be here is a few days, I can't wait!
post #22 of 23 Old 05-31-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Wow, that didn't last long. Do you get deals like that often? I want to get one but kids tuition comes first. Might be ready in about a month.

Depends on many factors. We get offers as they get enough to unload them. Usually that is several times over a year. Sometimes though we pass. It all depends on the deal that we can achieve to make it worthwhile.

Jason C. Turk
A/V Science, Inc.

post #23 of 23 Old 05-31-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I thought it was a prank since the JVC employee that hosts the EBay auctions isn't exactly a master of auction presentations or wording. Just cut/paste basic specs on the machines.

I thought about snagging one of the RS35's, but I already have too many projectors and didn't think it would be a big reseller since most are now looking for 2D/3D projectors.

Blasphemy. You can never have too many projectors.

Jason C. Turk
A/V Science, Inc.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs40u , Benq W7000 Home Projection System
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page