Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 87 Old 06-01-2012, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by netslayer View Post

Just received my replacement bulb today for my RS50 from JVC (first one the 002 went out at 690hrs). It has the flap although it appears like shiny stainless steel or tin and is movable - it's only connected at one end and can move. This seems pointless as the lamp rests on its side so the metal flap would just sit there against the side unless there's some air movement.

I'm assuming this is the 003 revision as it has the flap - labelled OT. Here's hoping this lasts more than 1000 hours.

Lumens are back to the originals which is really nice

THX / THX: 794 lumens
User 2 / Off: 1138 lumens
User 2 / Cinema 1: 606.6 lumens
User 2 / 3D: 758.62 lumens
3D / 3D: 824 lumens
Cinema 1 / Cinema 1 (8500): 425 lumens

This is with 0 hours on bulb, Aperture 0, Lamp High (except in Cinema 1 / Cinema 1), CMD off and color management off.

That's nice. I tried calling three times JVC for a replacement lamp for my RS40. They all want my current one first. Being in Canada I don't want to be without my projector for this long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 87 Old 06-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post

The only truly objective way to determine lamp dimming is with a meter. After 300 hours, your lamp has dimmed regardless of your perception, which is subjective, not objective.

As you've stated, you and yours have a long history with 9" CRT. That makes you very partial towards the best black floor you can get from a digital PJ. You'll get no argument from me that JVCs have the best blacks for the money. Likewise, your tolerance for a dimmer picture is likely also based on your lengthy CRT history. CRTs were never bright enough really, but your eyes adjusted in a bat-cave.

For 2D viewing, a JVC provides great PQ. My fault with them is their measured lamp dimming (or worse, totally failure) after too short a period. I'd be very surprised to hear of folks with original 001 or series 002 bulbs getting 2000 hours of advertised bulb life expectancy. I'd be happy with 1000 hours and lamps the price of Sony's. Neither appear to be in the cards unless the 003 are the answer and cost half the price. Good luck with that. Not going to happen. Lamp dimming obviously results in very poor 3D PQ, which benefits greatly from a brighter PJ. But as you said, 3D changes almost everything you wrote.

You speak the truth.
I plan on replacing the 45 in the new year, but not with anything currently out.
post #63 of 87 Old 06-01-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatboyC View Post

That's nice. I tried calling three times JVC for a replacement lamp for my RS40. They all want my current one first. Being in Canada I don't want to be without my projector for this long.

That's odd.. I literally called the JVC Professional number, and told them that I've been tracking the lumens and basically overnight my bulb died (it started showing me the bulb error light red flash / orange solid / red flash) and its out after 690 hours. They made me send in pictures of the bulb to his email address, and then I was just sent a simple email questionnaire to where to ship it to and model/serial number I have. I didnt have to ship the dead bulb back.

By the way -- Do they do this more than once? For example say this 003 revision dies in 700hrs like my first bulb, and my projector is still in the 2 year warranty are they going to replace the bulb for the second time or do you only get one replacement? This hush hush policy for replacing bulbs is making me question if I should sell it for the Epson.
post #64 of 87 Old 06-01-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

That's odd.. I literally called the JVC Professional number, and told them that I've been tracking the lumens and basically overnight my bulb died (it started showing me the bulb error light red flash / orange solid / red flash) and its out after 690 hours. They made me send in pictures of the bulb to his email address, and then I was just sent a simple email questionnaire to where to ship it to and model/serial number I have. I didnt have to ship the dead bulb back.

Correct. I received quick service after talking to and sending email Lorenzo White at JVC (lwhite@jvc.com). He did not require sending in previous lamp.

Quote:

By the way -- Do they do this more than once? For example say this 003 revision dies in 700hrs like my first bulb, and my projector is still in the 2 year warranty are they going to replace the bulb for the second time or do you only get one replacement? This hush hush policy for replacing bulbs is making me question if I should sell it for the Epson.

Bingo. You've hit the nail on the head. That's my worry in a nutshell. I have the RS40 and warranty runs out on 1/5/13. I'm on my third lamp and have no idea what happens if the 003 doesn't fix anything and my warranty is over. It sounds like I'm beating a dead horse, but I don't see any good, long-term outcome for us. I've said it already and still feel that we're JVC beta-testers. I'm beginning to think that the only resolution is a full refund from JVC (or a class action suit to force their hand). With fifty-six 3D blu-rays and move pre-ordered or planned for, I couldn't sit around and wait a JVC solution. As my 002 lamp faded, I went out and bought an Epson. Now I'm torn between selling my RS40 at a substantial loss or pursuing "other avenues."

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

post #65 of 87 Old 06-01-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Correct. I received quick service after talking to and sending email Lorenzo White at JVC (lwhite@jvc.com). He did not require sending in previous lamp.

Bingo. You've hit the nail on the head. That's my worry in a nutshell. I have the RS40 and warranty runs out on 1/5/13. I'm on my third lamp and have no idea what happens if the 003 doesn't fix anything and my warranty is over. It sounds like I'm beating a dead horse, but I don't see any good, long-term outcome for us. I've said it already and still feel that we're JVC beta-testers. I'm beginning to think that the only resolution is a full refund from JVC (or a class action suit to force their hand). With fifty-six 3D blu-rays and move pre-ordered or planned for, I couldn't sit around and wait a JVC solution. As my 002 lamp faded, I went out and bought an Epson. Now I'm torn between selling my RS40 at a substantial loss or pursuing "other avenues."

Beating a dead horse? Stevenjw that horse is already Elmer's glue. lol..kidding
As long as JVC continues sending lamps on their dime. I'm not worried about the lamp life. I'm certainly not going to give up the things I love most about this brand because of it.
Iris pumping is a no go for me.
post #66 of 87 Old 06-01-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah View Post

Beating a dead horse? Stevenjw that horse is already Elmer's glue. lol..kidding
As long as JVC continues sending lamps on their dime. I'm not worried about the lamp life. I'm certainly not going to give up the things I love most about this brand because of it.
Iris pumping is a no go for me.

The key to your statement is "as long as JVC continues" and the point was that we have no assurance of that because there's no stated policy, etc. We're at their mercy and that's the problem. No one but JVC knows what they'll do if the 003s don't solve the issue and/or our 2 year warranties run out. Glad you're not worried, but I prefer to have the something in writing. My dead horse statement about JVC customers being beta-testers still applies.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

post #67 of 87 Old 06-01-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The key to your statement is "as long as JVC continues" and the point was that we have no assurance of that because there's no stated policy, etc. We're at their mercy and that's the problem. No one but JVC knows what they'll do if the 003s don't solve the issue and/or our 2 year warranties run out. Glad you're not worried, but I prefer to have the something in writing. My dead horse statement about JVC customers being beta-testers still applies.

I hear ya stevenjw, as does my glue statement. We are at the mercy of all these manufactures. I can find Epson customers that have returned 3 or 4 projectors, not the lamps, before they get a decent unit. It sucks I know..unfortunately this hobby does have its drawbacks.
post #68 of 87 Old 06-03-2012, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Simple question.... Has anyone with an RS 40/45 gotten more than 1,000 hours on their bulb with decent light output?
post #69 of 87 Old 06-04-2012, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 149
A few have that posted in the official RS-40 thread, but not that many. As far as the RS-45 threads, well no-one has had enough time to really run the hours up that far yet.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #70 of 87 Old 06-04-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I am on my second bulb on my rs40, version 002. Only around 400 hours.
Surprisingly 3d looks great. I haven't taken any measurements, but have noticed that it has dimmed, but not like my first bulb, which around 400 hours was done.
post #71 of 87 Old 06-04-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

At the rate I watch mine, it will be the end of next year before I get close to 1000 hours. Installed a new lamp in March. I still only have 101 hours on it now. I watch one or two movies a week on average.
post #72 of 87 Old 06-04-2012, 07:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpersaud View Post

Simple question.... Has anyone with an RS 40/45 gotten more than 1,000 hours on their bulb with decent light output?

Keep in mind that there are hundreds of RS40/50/60 owners that have purchased from us. Now compare that number to the number of people that have posted having to get new lamps.

Added
Not saying that there is not a problem, just saying it is not happening with every owner.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #73 of 87 Old 06-04-2012, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Hundreds of people (most) use their projector less than 800 hours per year. I'm sure a lot of people also do not post when they called JVC for a new bulb.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #74 of 87 Old 06-04-2012, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Hundreds of people (most) use their projector less than 800 hours per year. I'm sure a lot of people also do not post when they called JVC for a new bulb.

Most don't have a light meter, don't watch much 3D, and don't necessarily notice a lamp issue unless it blows up.

Recalls frequently happen on cars too, but most don't even know that there was an issue until they get a postcard in the mail or at regularly scheduled service time. There are also lemon laws protecting consumers if they purchase a car with repeated issues. Just saying....

...Steve

post #75 of 87 Old 06-06-2012, 03:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I just spoke to JVC Tech Support and they claim that the new blub resolves the issues of premature failure. I would give them a call if you are worried or if you lamp is dimming.
post #76 of 87 Old 06-08-2012, 05:29 AM

I got my x30/rs45 this christmas, and I have about 880 hours on the bulb. I been experiencing a markedly decline in brightness over the last weeks, and I've been running the bulb in normal mode all the time. Now normal mode is way to dim, and switching to high lamp power doesn't help much.

I know I may be an outlier here, because we use the projector for everything - movies, tv-shows and gaming (Skyrim looks really good), but lamp life isn't good, especially compared to my earlier projectors. I had hope to get at least some 1500-2000 hrs out of it (which I could with my Sony and Epson projs) but that obviously wont happen.

It's going to be an hard decision if I going to keep the x30, the picture is the best I've seen, but this abysmal lamp life and relatively high lamp price ..
post #77 of 87 Old 06-08-2012, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petterost View Post

I got my x30/rs45 this christmas, and I have about 880 hours on the bulb. I been experiencing a markedly decline in brightness over the last weeks, and I've been running the bulb in normal mode all the time. Now normal mode is way to dim, and switching to high lamp power doesn't help much.
I know I may be an outlier here, because we use the projector for everything - movies, tv-shows and gaming (Skyrim looks really good), but lamp life isn't good, especially compared to my earlier projectors. I had hope to get at least some 1500-2000 hrs out of it (which I could with my Sony and Epson projs) but that obviously wont happen.
It's going to be an hard decision if I going to keep the x30, the picture is the best I've seen, but this abysmal lamp life and relatively high lamp price ..

Call JVC Field Support phone number and tell them that you have the lamp problem. They have been very good about sending the new lamp which they say fixed the problems. Let them know that you are having this issue.

Do not call the regular number the field support number will get you to the right people. They do seem to stand behind their product.
post #78 of 87 Old 06-09-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

Call JVC Field Support phone number and tell them that you have the lamp problem. They have been very good about sending the new lamp which they say fixed the problems. Let them know that you are having this issue.
Do not call the regular number the field support number will get you to the right people. They do seem to stand behind their product.

What would that phone number be? I've run into a brick wall. My lamp has 480 hours on it and has dimmed considerably. A JVC Service Rep told me that the lamp has a 90 day warranty (my projector is now 6 months old). I've owned 4 other projectors and this one has dimmed much faster than any of the others. Mind you, I LOVE the 2D picture on this projector; it's by far the best one I've owned;.

Good Viewing,
John G

JVC DLA-RS4810 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Darbee Darblet, Onkyo TX-NR708 Receiver/Processor, Sony BDP S790 BR Player, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,  Adcom & Yamaha Amps .Light controlled HT...

post #79 of 87 Old 06-10-2012, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johng View Post

What would that phone number be? I've run into a brick wall. My lamp has 480 hours on it and has dimmed considerably. A JVC Service Rep told me that the lamp has a 90 day warranty (my projector is now 6 months old). I've owned 4 other projectors and this one has dimmed much faster than any of the others. Mind you, I LOVE the 2D picture on this projector; it's by far the best one I've owned;.

You should be able to get through on one of the numbers below. Ask for Jim or Lorenzo. It may take you several times to reach the right person or to even get through. Keep trying and let them know you are an AVS forum member. They will ask you to send in your receipt for the projector and may or may not ask you for a photo of the bulb. Tell them it has dimmed more than 50% and it is unwatchable in 3d which it probably is. Also let them know that you heard about the lamp change.

Field Support Engineer:
(973) 317-5000 x5660
Field Support Engineer:
(630) 851-7855 x7710
post #80 of 87 Old 06-13-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Home Run! JVC Field Engineers stand behind the product and a new lamp is on its way. My next question is....what is the procedure for removing the old lamp and replacing it with the new one?

Good Viewing,
John G

JVC DLA-RS4810 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Darbee Darblet, Onkyo TX-NR708 Receiver/Processor, Sony BDP S790 BR Player, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,  Adcom & Yamaha Amps .Light controlled HT...

post #81 of 87 Old 06-13-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by johng View Post

Home Run! JVC Field Engineers stand behind the product and a new lamp is on its way. My next question is....what is the procedure for removing the old lamp and replacing it with the new one?

Instructions for lamp replacement are toward the back of the JVC owner's manual.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #82 of 87 Old 06-13-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

Instructions for lamp replacement are toward the back of the JVC owner's manual.

DOH! Thanks Ron!

John G

Good Viewing,
John G

post #83 of 87 Old 06-14-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My RS40 was part of AVS's first batch in Jan 2011. My first bulb popped at 380 hrs in May of last year and JVC had me send in the bulb and then they sent me the replacement 002 bulb. Last week the second bulb blew at 820 hrs. I called JVC and the manager requested I send in the projector this time so they can check everything out. I Fedexed it to them on Monday and have a delivery notice for today. 72 hrs from shipping to receiving it back repaired seems unbelievable nowadays. I did track lumens with the last bulb(CA813 meter) and will report back tomorrow on this new bulb.
post #84 of 87 Old 06-14-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

It's not the ballast, that's a waste of time to send projector in, sorry they made you do that.

post #85 of 87 Old 06-15-2012, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

It's not the ballast, that's a waste of time to send projector in, sorry they made you do that.

Received projector back today. Lamp and M.G.Resistor was replaced along with firmware upgrade. Don't know if resistor is related to lamp. P# NRSA02J-561NY
post #86 of 87 Old 06-20-2012, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post

My RS40 was part of AVS's first batch in Jan 2011. My first bulb popped at 380 hrs in May of last year and JVC had me send in the bulb and then they sent me the replacement 002 bulb. Last week the second bulb blew at 820 hrs. I called JVC and the manager requested I send in the projector this time so they can check everything out. I Fedexed it to them on Monday and have a delivery notice for today. 72 hrs from shipping to receiving it back repaired seems unbelievable nowadays. I did track lumens with the last bulb (CA813 meter) and will report back tomorrow on this new bulb.

Pretty much the same story I've had. 001 lamp popped at very similar hours. The 002 got too dim after 375 hours and was sent the replacement 003. 002 probably would have exploded at some point. We're all waiting to see how these 003 lamps last. Like codeguy said, sending your PJ in was probably a waste of time, but at least you got a firmware upgrade, lamp, and a M.G. resistor replacement (whatever that is) and you weren't without your PJ for long.

...Steve

post #87 of 87 Old 06-20-2012, 02:44 PM

M. G. means metal glaze. It's a higher voltage resistor. JVC uses this type quite often including their flat panels.......
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page