Replace 3 Chip DLP (777) for 3D ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-31-2012, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a dilema, I have a perfectly functioning Screenplay 777 DC3 projector.

I feel it throws a great mixed field image, but darker movies are a little tough.

I have the upgrade bug and would like the option to have 3d, and iris and CFI for the tweaker in me... as well as for different situations.

I had a W7000 in my cart today and almost pulled the trigger,but cant get over this nag... that for all of the new developments my picture quality will not improve by leaps and bounds and I need to spend a lot more to get the improvements and the refinement of a 3 chip dlp.

Can anyone with a point of reference help me decide on a replacement projector?

I have about 3-4k to play with.

Thank you for your suggestions.

TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-31-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehotaone View Post

I feel it throws a great mixed field image, but darker movies are a little tough.

I have the upgrade bug and would like the option to have 3d, and iris and CFI for the tweaker in me... as well as for different situations.

I had a W7000 in my cart today and almost pulled the trigger,but cant get over this nag... that for all of the new developments my picture quality will not improve by leaps and bounds and I need to spend a lot more to get the improvements and the refinement of a 3 chip dlp.

TJ

As someone without 3-4k of disposable income, I would say to put that 4K in a 6 month investment CD or whatever is safe that you can not touch, and wait to see what is new for next year.
Also, please PM when you are ready to sell the 777!
post #3 of 11 Old 05-31-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
With your kind of money (assuming you've spent 15k for this one some time ago) I'd wait for 4K RED projector which is coming later this year.
post #4 of 11 Old 05-31-2012, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

I have 3-4k of a budget, the RED is a lot more than that. I got the 777 for a great deal when I got it, much less than 15k.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-31-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

I have 3-4k of a budget, the RED is a lot more than that. I got the 777 for a great deal when I got it, much less than 15k.

Well, by the time RED comes out you can sell your PJ and earn some money. I'm sure 4K laser PJ with passive 3D from RED would be worth it.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-31-2012, 03:27 PM

Liked: 12
Since you are used to a DLP image, you might want to check out an Optoma HD8300. Very nice image and calibrates great.

ISF Level II Certified Calibrator
CEDIA Member
Serving Central Indiana
www.indyvideocal.com
post #7 of 11 Old 05-31-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Take a look at the Sony 30. I moved from a very similiar projector the Infocus 333 (basically a 777 but brighter and a few other changes) to a new Sony and while I was waiting to decide between the 95 and the 1000 (and I looked at the new JVC's as well) I picked up a 30 for under $4k cdn and it blew the 333 away in every way. Give it a try and see if you don't agree the Sony 30 is one of the best machines for the money I've seen this year and it handles 3D and 2D very well for the price point.

Best of luck
Calvin
post #8 of 11 Old 05-31-2012, 03:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

With your kind of money (assuming you've spent 15k for this one some time ago) I'd wait for 4K RED projector which is coming later this year.

It could happen, but if it does, I will be surprised.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #9 of 11 Old 05-31-2012, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Calvin,
the 333 was a DC2 machine running custom firmware for some gamma changes.

It's contrast and black level lagged behind the Dc3 machine. Are the changes very drastic on the Sony?

The other thing is the light output, this thing puts over 24 ft-L on the screen thats 135" wide, I am going to need a similar output or it will "feel" like a backstep.

I just read there is a solution for 3d coming for any DLP projector soon...hhhmmmm...
post #10 of 11 Old 05-31-2012, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

TJ

Check your pm!
post #11 of 11 Old 05-31-2012, 10:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Calvin,
the 333 was a DC2 machine running custom firmware for some gamma changes.

It's contrast and black level lagged behind the Dc3 machine. Are the changes very drastic on the Sony?

The other thing is the light output, this thing puts over 24 ft-L on the screen thats 135" wide, I am going to need a similar output or it will "feel" like a backstep.

I just read there is a solution for 3d coming for any DLP projector soon...hhhmmmm...

The 333 was brighter then the 777 if i remember correctly but the 777 had the better picture for sure. Anyway I was over 24 ft-l on my 140" 16:9 SMX and when I switched to the 30 I thought it was brighter. Of course it wasn't but the picture was so vibrant it seemed like it was. At 1300 lumens it lit up my screen very well, again at your price point if you want 3d the Sony is near or at the top of the list. The change was drastic for sure I was honestly blown away with the sony 30 it's a winner in my books. I liked it so much I ended up buying the 1000 which has a msrp of 25k without even seeing it in person.
I'd suggest you may want to check out zombie's comparison thread for some more views and info. He's done some solid comparisons. As far as DLP and a 3D solution?! I'm sure it's coming but how soon and how much?! Might be worth the wait but DLP usually isn't very cost effective compared to the others.

Best of luck
Calvin
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page