Help with my first projector purchase - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-02-2012, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My home theater room is finally complete and now I can buy my gear! However, I am on the fence as to which projector to get.

Do you guys like the Panny AT-7000, the Sony Vpl-vw95es, or the Epson the best? I have a completely dark room (no windows) and plan on a 120" screen. Lens memory would be nice as I enjoy watching movies in 2.35:1.

Any advice would be great as there is no where for me to go demo these units in my area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-02-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Does this screen have any gain? How important is 3D?

If it's a low gain screen, the VW95 is a top pick for 2D, but the 3D isn't very bright compared to the Epson 5010 which can crank out the lumens in 3D mode. There is a lot of light lost with active shutter glasses so you want the most lumens possible in 3D mode.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-02-2012, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't bought the screen yet. I had planned on deciding on the projector first.

I am partially blind in one eye so 3D is not something that's important to me. I am just looking for a bright and accurate 2D picture.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-02-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 401
If your only interested in 2D, the JVC RS45 is a great bargain for the $$ and has the lens memory your looking for. It's the black level king in this price category.

The VW95 is very nice and benefits from inexpensive lamp replacements. The only issue is that Sony just forced their dealers to start selling it at MSRP as of June 1st. I would have bought one at the previous street prices, but definitely not at MSRP, there are too many other nice projectors for much less.

The 5010 is a great projector for the $$ and has very good black level but the lens setup is all manual vs. the RS45's automated zoom for scope movies.

The Panasonic's have some reported issues with lamp flicker. It's hard to determine how widespread it is.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-02-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

If your only interested in 2D, the JVC RS45 is a great bargain for the $$ and has the lens memory your looking for. It's the black level king in this price category.

The VW95 is very nice and benefits from inexpensive lamp replacements. The only issue is that Sony just forced their dealers to start selling it at MSRP as of June 1st. I would have bought one at the previous street prices, but definitely not at MSRP, there are too many other nice projectors for much less.

The 5010 is a great projector for the $$ and has very good black level but the lens setup is all manual vs. the RS45's automated zoom for scope movies.

The Panasonic's have some reported issues with lamp flicker. It's hard to determine how widespread it is.

Or at a similar price to the Sony VW95 you could consider the JVC step-up model DLA-RS55. If has a full color management system (missing on the RS45), a little better contrast ratio/black levels and has e-Shift for provide a psuedo 4K (upscaled) resolution image for a slightly more film-like look. You can find reviews and comparisons of the projectors mentioned so far in this thread at projectorreviews.com and all of these projectors also have discussion threads here on the AVS Forum. In fact projectorreviews.com must recently posted the 2012 home theater projector comparison report which might be a good starting point for your search for a new projector.

Do you plan on a 120" 2.35:1 aspect ratio (AR) screen or a 120" 16 x 9 (1.78:1 AR) screen. In either case any of the above mentioned projectors will be bright enough in 2D mode (in a dark room) even with a gain=1.0 screen. If you go with a screen with a gain of perhaps 1.3 (e.g., Stewart StudioTek 130) then you could run the JVC, Sony or Epson projectors in low lamp mode most of the time giving increased life for the lamp.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #6 of 9 Old 06-02-2012, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help and the leads guys. This is why I love reading these forums.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-02-2012, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 74
posted in wrong thread
post #8 of 9 Old 06-04-2012, 07:01 PM

Liked: 11
you should check the specs on the projectors and read product reviews. These reviews will usually let you know what projectors is suitable for home entertainment. You want to avoid those projectors that are only suitable for business environments.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-08-2012, 05:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Wow that is a toss up. I like the Epson by far the best, brightness can't be replaced and at 120" you will need it for that pop. Next the Panasonic the panasonic has lens memory so if you are doing a 2:35 screen that is the way to go but at the cost of 25% less light. The Panasonic and Epson use the same light engine Panasonic buys it off of Epson. Next is the solny just don't care for it that much good projector but the image just doesn't do it for me but I know people that like it so take my advice with a grain of salt, ymmv.

Jason
Note: Any posts are of my personal opinions and not to reflect upon any business.

Jason@programmergeek.com

908 578-6466

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page