New Projector Buyer---some questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 06-11-2012, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys,

I'm hoping to get a nice projector/theater/game room set up going by the end of summer. Just in time for football season.

The room is downstairs and finished already, but I'll be hiding components in a side room. I'm fairly handy running wires, some framing/electrical and a little drywall.

99% of the material we watch will be in 2D, mostly sports and action movies. I do a lot of gaming on XBox live when I have the chance. I'd love to have a great/fantastic/awesome 2D picture while watching sports/blu-ray. Well, at least as far as my budget will allow.

I've taped off a 110" screen area and we'll be sitting 11'-12' away. Room is 14.3' x 25' with the screen sitting on the 14.3' wall. What are your suggestions for an LCD and a standard projector? I'm not sure what gains I'd need and in fact I don't know much about the gains as far as projectors go.

Budget: $3000-$4500...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-12-2012, 02:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
You might want to start looking at some gaming lag reviews and consider that into your purchase requirement. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1377652/input-lag-a-scientific-experiment-epson-8350-3010-5010-more http://www.projectorcentral.com/projector_news.cfm?2012-01-31-Gaming-tests-and-upcoming-reviews&entry_id=487 Some nice pj's in that price range. GL
post #3 of 20 Old 06-12-2012, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that link. It's a long thread, took me awhile to ready. I'm leaning towards the Panny 7000, or the Sony HW20...

Is the 2D Performance/Black level on both of these projectors near reference or close?
post #4 of 20 Old 06-12-2012, 04:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 341
The Sony HW20 is discontinued. You would need to look at the Sony HW30AES. If we can help you with selection, shoot us an email.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #5 of 20 Old 06-12-2012, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleland500 View Post

Thanks for that link. It's a long thread, took me awhile to ready. I'm leaning towards the Panny 7000, or the Sony HW20...
Is the 2D Performance/Black level on both of these projectors near reference or close?

I would suggest the Sony HW30AES for you since you game a lot and watch movies. The Sony has very low lag time (30 milliseconds) when set to "Gaming Mode", which makes it great for gaming. The 2D picture is pretty awesome for movies as well. The Sony has a bit better black levels than the Panny 7000. The panny is nice but the Sony beats it. If you want even better black levels, then the JVC RS45 would be a good choice, however the JVC has higher lag time (80 milliseconds) compared to the Sony or Panasonic, which makes the JVC not the best choice for gaming but great for movies. Personally, since I mostly watch movies I would pick the JVC RS45, but since you want to game a lot and watch movies, the Sony HW30AES is an excellent choice and close to your lowest price range. Sports is also excellent with the Sony and it does nice 3D as well which is a bonus.
post #6 of 20 Old 06-12-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Good recommendations so far, the only thing I might add (but this isn't for everyone)...

You could do a 2-projector setup (B-stock or new RS-40/45 if one comes available) with a Benq w7000 or Optoma hd33 for 3D and stay in your budget still.
That would beat the Sony by itself or others. Gaming is slightly better on DLP overall regardless of lag time. It's not hugely better, but slightly better, cleaner, clearer sort of thing,

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #7 of 20 Old 06-14-2012, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome recommendations guys, thanks a ton. I was really ready to pull the trigger on the Pan, I'm definitely looking at the Sony.

Now I just need to know what screen to buy or can I DIY a painted one?
post #8 of 20 Old 06-14-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:

Awesome recommendations guys, thanks a ton. I was really ready to pull the trigger on the Pan, I'm definitely looking at the Sony.
Now I just need to know what screen to buy or can I DIY a painted one?

Screen choice depends on size and room conditions. It also depends on projector, but I am assuming that you are planning on pairing with a Sony HW30AES. contact us with info on the above and we can make recommendations for your room.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #9 of 20 Old 06-15-2012, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post

I would suggest the Sony HW30AES for you since you game a lot and watch movies. The Sony has very low lag time (30 milliseconds) when set to "Gaming Mode", which makes it great for gaming. The 2D picture is pretty awesome for movies as well. The Sony has a bit better black levels than the Panny 7000. The panny is nice but the Sony beats it. If you want even better black levels, then the JVC RS45 would be a good choice, however the JVC has higher lag time (80 milliseconds) compared to the Sony or Panasonic, which makes the JVC not the best choice for gaming but great for movies. Personally, since I mostly watch movies I would pick the JVC RS45, but since you want to game a lot and watch movies, the Sony HW30AES is an excellent choice and close to your lowest price range. Sports is also excellent with the Sony and it does nice 3D as well which is a bonus.

In regards to the Pan 7000 vs Sony HW30 can anyone else comment on HD sports and Blu-ray viewing? Which projector has more "pop" to its picture? I've read, can't remember where that the Sony might have kind of a dull picture...or am I mistaken?
post #10 of 20 Old 06-15-2012, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In regards to the Pan 7000 vs Sony HW30 can anyone else comment on HD sports and Blu-ray viewing? Which projector has more "pop" to its picture? I've read, can't remember where that the Sony might have kind of a dull picture...or am I mistaken?

Review 1

Review 2

Review 3

The Sony has the pop you like. Take a look at the reviews.

Also, go checkout JoeRod's review. He is a member here. Go to: joe rod home theater.com (don't use any spaces like I did because for some reason AVS is giving me an error when I try to paste the website). You'll find the review in his reviews section.
post #11 of 20 Old 06-15-2012, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

SED, thanks for the links to the reviews, very helpful. Because the projector will be in a basement with limited ambient light I'm not worried about total light output, more about picture quality on 2D/HDTV and gaming capability. The Sony seems to be a great choice.
post #12 of 20 Old 06-15-2012, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

SED, thanks for the links to the reviews, very helpful. Because the projector will be in a basement with limited ambient light I'm not worried about total light output, more about picture quality on 2D/HDTV and gaming capability. The Sony seems to be a great choice.

No problem! Yes it is. The HW30 is a very good performer in all aspects. Blu-ray, HDTV, sports, gaming, and 3D. Of course, if you have a higher budget, the Sony vw95es is their step-up model with even better blacks. However, for your budget the HW30 is an excellent choice. If you don't like it you can return it, but I doubt you'll return it once you see the picture! tongue.gif Oh and one more thing is that the lamps last a long time and lamp replacements are very cheap for this projector!
post #13 of 20 Old 07-02-2012, 11:07 PM

What about the Mitsubishi HC9000D? It now can be had for about the same price of the Sony HW30 and has low input lag. I'm trying to find a projector to replace my VPL-VW50. After 6 years (1500->2000 hours a year) it now outputs a yellowish picture. I'm looking for a gaming projector that still has that wow factor when watching a blu-ray movie. If only the Epson 6010 or JVC RS45 didn't have crazy high input lag.
post #14 of 20 Old 07-03-2012, 06:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

i have the mitsu, and it does not suck... smile.gif fwiw, your room setup will be almost exactly the same as mine (except my room isn't as deep)...

i have not "seen" a hw30... however, based on the lens alone (VERY good on the mitsu), i would wager that the mitsu would throw a better picture... there's other reasons too...

imo (an in my limited experience), if the mitsu gives you the lag numbers you are looking for, and it's available for the same price as the hw30, there wouldn't be much of a decision... the mitsu is an overall superior package (as it should be, it's really in a different class than the hw30)...

i didn't realize the street price of the mitsu had dropped so low...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #15 of 20 Old 07-03-2012, 07:43 AM

the Hc9000 should be a good one, I believe it is in the same class as VW95ES, I own a VW95ES, if I could get the HC9000 for the price of the HW30 when I bought my VW95ES, I'd have gotten that instead.
post #16 of 20 Old 07-03-2012, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't considered the HC9000, does anyone have any experience gaming with it or its performance while watching HD sports or anything like that?
post #17 of 20 Old 07-03-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 249
The HC9000 is similar to the VW90, not the 95, specifically in regard to 3D. the 3D on the HC9000 and VW90 was criticized in the reviews for ghosting and low lumen output. Sony fixed this for the HW30 and the VW95, but Mitsubishi never followed up the HC9000 with an updated model.

The lamp prices on the Sony are the cheapest of any of the current models, close to $200 street price. This might be an important consideration if someone is going to rack up the hours gaming. I've measured lag time on the HW30 @ ~ 30 MS.
post #18 of 20 Old 07-03-2012, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Zombie, info on the different model generations is a huge help.
post #19 of 20 Old 07-03-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

I haven't considered the HC9000, does anyone have any experience gaming with it or its performance while watching HD sports or anything like that?

not gaming, but my usage is heavily weighted towards sports... it wouldn't still be in my room if i had an issue with that... smile.gif

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #20 of 20 Old 07-03-2012, 01:32 PM

So from what I'm gathering is if you don't care about 3D then the Mits is the way to go. Otherwise if you want Gaming, pretty good 2D and 3D the HW30 is the way to go.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector , Mitsubishi Hc9000d 3d 1080p Lcd Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Sony Vpl Hw30es 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page